to the blue-gray waters

of the singing Chesapeake.

This soil has its own rituals

and rememberings.

Tall corn seed and ancestors were buried here;

offerings were made to them.

My own ancestors lie in a stone-fenced grove,

in black and battle-worn soil

that redeems generation after generation.

Once I raked it carefully into fine lines

around the headstones of grandparents,

longing for time to plant something and give it water,

watch the first leaves emerge,

see it flower and yield seed.

I wanted to eat fruit of my own planting,

sustained by the same earth that fed

those that came before me.

But home is not there.

I struggle to learn the land I inhabit.

Caught in the great currents of air

that travel between indifferent coasts,

my spirit searches restlessly for a place to plant itself,

to find that which all seeds and ancestors seek,

the place to sleep,

renew and then sustain.

Dec. 6, 2005.

The branch fingers slowly curl their way around the crack in the Office door, looking like something out of a Tim Burton flick. Peredhil and Happybuddha jump back at the sight of the Yulebesorry Treenet™ while Kirja sits in place, having already witnessed the Almost Dragonic plantlife's range and scope. Wyvern trods behind the gnarled tree and twists at the control branch at its root, cackling with glee as one of branch hands waves back and forth to those who have gathered.

"Greetingsss all." Wyvern sneers and shoots Kirja a quick wink. He turns the crank of the Treenet so that the arms extend like a peacock feather display, showing off the large giftwrapped boxes clutched in each of their nets. "X-mas shopping has been goin' pretty good, considering how well this thing blends with forest trees near log cabins..."

Kirja, Happybuddha, and Peredhil all cast Wyvern blank stares as he meddles with the stump crank, causing a spare tree branch hand to zig zag across the room towards Kirja's seat. Two twigs gently pluck the new application poem from her hands before pulling back towards Wyvern.

"Hmmmm." Wyvern grins as he snatches the sheet from the branch, and scratches his chin in a thoughtful manner as he reads it over. He strikes another toothy grin in Kirja's direction as he folds the application and tucks it into the soil of the Treenet pot. "A wandering ssspirit I see, you'll definitely need to meet Xaious at some point. Y'know, with this Yulebesorry Treenet™, anyone can be caught within the currents of air. Observe!"

Wyvern tweaks the control crank sideways, causing one of the larger branches to drop the box that it's carrying and crawl in the direction of Happybuddha. The giant buddha raises a brow as the branch nets stretch themselves to extremes in the hopes of encircling his legendary belly. Wyvern frowns as he hears a snapping sound, but bites his lip and ignores it. The long branch arm seems to tremble and waver as it attempts to lift Happybuddha, but eventually snaps under the pressure. Wyvern's jaw drops open as stray sap fuel splatters in his face.

"Eheheheh." Wyvern strikes a nervous grin as Happybuddha glares at him and picks up the severed branch like a club. The overgrown lizard quickly stamps Kirja's application ACCEPTED, then attaches it to a shakey-yet-functional branch and begins directing it towards her. "Well, errr, the tree's still useful for, uhh, y'know-"

*Ahem*

Wyvern turns, only to find a group of muscular lumberjacks at the Office door behind him. The overgrown lizard stammers when he notices the large axes and saws that they carry. The Yulebesorry Treenet™ seems to wilt in their mere presence.

"These yer presents, salamander?"

;-)

OOC: An excellent poem and an ACCEPTED application, Kirja. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) Sorry for the long wait and for the application process confusion before. I hope that you find the Pen a very friendly and welcoming community to share your writing in, and look forward to reading more of your poetry and other works. Once again, welcome!

Thank you, Wyvern.

:blush:

Kirja wonders if she should ask to borrow the Yulebesorry Treenet some time, since she lives Just Outside the Beltway in Maryland. It might be jolly fun using it to fish for unwary politicos in the Capitol for a few minutes, before Homeland Security ensnares her and hauls her away for interrogation.

On the other hand, it might be more prudent to stay home and compose cranky letters to the editor.

It also occurs to Kirja to soothe Wyvern by pointing out that the lumberjacks are, after all, lumberjacks, and they're okay. They sleep all night and they work all day.

Even if they are a wee bit feisty.

Kirja toasts Wyvern, Peredhil and Happy Buddha with a cup of hot cider, and sits back to ponder the meaning of it all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...