The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Namestorming!

Falcon2001

Hey, I'm thinking of quitting my second job, which I can do and still survive easily enough, but I really want to do web design for small businesses on the side. Most small businesses need a static page with little updating needed, with a simple and professional design; a web presence more than anything else, really, with contact information and maybe some product information.

I can do that, and even better, I can easily interact with most small business owners, having come from a rather entrepreneurial family.

Anyway, I'm trying to come up with a name for my company - something friendly and possibly seattle-ish, as most of my clients will probably be local.

The name has to be friendly and hopefully lack any negative drug or social connotations (I'd use Silvertrip, but possible drug connotations), and should sound at least semi-professional. If at all possible, www.NAME.com should be available as well.

Right now I've narrowed it to the following:

Highwind Design

Sunspot "

Rootwater "

But I need help choosing others - I figure you're the most creative people I've met, so maybe one of you wants to submit an idea. :)

After careful thought, I decided on Halcyon Design.

hal·cy·on  Audio pronunciation of "halcyon" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (hls-n)

n.

1. A kingfisher, especially one of the genus Halcyon.

2. A fabled bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was supposed to have had the power to calm the wind and the waves while it nested on the sea during the winter solstice.

adj.

1. Calm and peaceful; tranquil.

2. Prosperous; golden: halcyon years.

I think this gives me a nice direction to move in with the Kingfisher theme as well as the peaceful and tranquil / prosperous thing.

Haha. I like a lot of the suggestions you've gotten so far. They're cute, if not always "professional."

Question: What of those who don't understand what a halcyon is? If they're just hearing the word randomly, they probably won't bother to look it up... so the name might quickly be forgotten, and it wouldn't bring the proper picture to mind.

I don't want to set you back on your quest, but I thought I might point it out.

Hmm...from a stricly business point of view I think she's entirely right :)

Also when chosing a name you might want to think about placements on lists, like the phonebook or yellow pages. If you'de call your company AAA than it's most likely to be the first company in that categorey which greatly helps if people are just randomly looking for a company in that branche.

Also you might want to consider putting something of what you're doing in the name...

Design could be any sort of Design basicly :)

just adding some cents (you can decide how many ;))