The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Succession of Chaos

Gryphon

Flames flickered, lighting the temple of the serpent with a dim light as those who had answered the summons mingled and talked amongst themselves, no doubt swapping favours and creating alliances for that which was about to come.

Bances - High Priest of the Serpent looked out over the gathered noting faces and absences and court hangers on who had managed to be present even when topics under discussion didn't concern them.

Interesting that some had taken it upon themselves to be absent for a discussion of the disposition of the regency. Probably they were watching from some safe point through a scrying device - deaths had been known to occur when discussion turned to the throne after all. Bances noted with a start the slender shape and the polished black scales of Reylda moving smoothly through the crowd and smiled wondering how many of those missing she was gathering information for. Not that any of these were worthy to take the throne, but the experience of being regent until Merlin's return might temper some of them to be worthy of the succession... eventually.

Checking the fall of his red and gold robes of office in a nearby mirror Bances stepped through a Way to take him down to the pulpit in the temple below and the noise of discussion fell sharply away into silence as those gathered turned to hear what news of the succession...

~~~

"As you are no doubt aware, Merlin has been absent on crown business for some days now. It has been decided that one of those in the line of succession shall take up a regency in his absence to deal with the day to day runnings of the realm."

The high priest paused, his slitted eyes glaring out at the uninvited seeming to glow in the firelight.

"Some of you were invited here today to be given an opportunity. Those in line to the throne of Chaos will arrange amongst themselves who shall take up the regency. We will be ignoring the actual order of succession because we want the best for the job, not just the next in line. Those absent are to be included in your discussion on who is to hold the regency. Their absence is not approved of, but it is understood in a certain sence. I have no doubt that some of you have connections to those who are not here. I leave it to you to inform them of what has transpired here today."

Bances paused to note the expressions on those gathered below - the thoughtful calculation, the excitement, the studied boredom... Watching this game should prove entertaining he thought.

"When the decision is made on who is to assume the position of regent, I shall know and you will be summoned again to the temple to be sworn in to your position... You may all go."

~~~

OOC: The game is on. All discussion in this thread should be in character unless it's a description of where you are, what shape you're wearing or (if you're controlling an NPC) who you're playing as. Deals and plots that are too private for this thread should still have a copy CC'd to me. I shouldn't need to remind you that clever and cunning ways of discrediting your rivals are probably as important here as cunning and clever ways to advance your own cause. Roles will be posted along with the first NPC death signalling the start of the game. All further OOC updates will happen in the OOC thread.

“Did you hear that!” shrilled Fortunata from the less esteemed sections of the floor, turning to Duke so quickly that her hair smacked into the back of someone else’s head. "It's so exciting that they're skipping over the succession. Oo, I bet the heir apparent is just hopping mad!" Duke opened his mouth to reply, but Fortunata was already pushing her way through the crowd, heading for the edge of the room. She looked into one of the niches between the columns and the wall, curtained with layers of heavy lace. She let a gangly girl, with her sleeve held up over her new cleavage, hide herself behind the curtain before walking up to a fainting-couch and the pale, moon-faced man lying on his side.

“Cousin Fortunata,” sighed the man, laying down his playing cards.

“Cousin Malvolio,” she purred, and knelt down beside the divan. They necked dispassionately, and the curtains hissed. He pecked her on the lips, one-two-three-four. She pulled back and fingered the fresh flowers on his headdress. “What new costume is this pray-tell? I thought you wouldn’t dare to wear green in this season, spring flowers clash with your complexion, and oooh, naughty cousin, it has horns!”

“I am Pan, god of the forest.”

Fortunata threw back her head and laughed, “Ha, ha, hee, hee, hee! Forest! The outdoors, oh that’s a marvelous one! There’s never been a day you didn’t spend on this couch!”

Malvolio half-shut his eyes and smirked, “Maybe not during the day, yes, but during the night,” he dipped his shoulder and rolled onto his back, “During the night, maybe I am a woodland. . .” he trailed his arms over his head and lifted his codpiece, “. . .god.”

One of the curtains gasped, then pinched in as it was bitten from behind. Fortunata spread a buttery smile and rose to her feet. “Cousin, there's important things happening tonight and you're still playing your games,” she hinted, looking at the cards on the low table and in Malvolio’s hand. “You’re playing for forfeits, aren’t you?” She gathered up her skirt in one hand and swished out of the niche; Malvolio watched her go and stifled an artful yawn.

Observing from far off...sitting upon his sister's grave stone. Death rolled over with laughter as the secession for the the throne had been up for grabs. Knocking his head against a nearby stone, Death once again came to his senses and donned a wicked grin. Death, of the house of the Fallen, was one the last surviving members of a once great and powerful house.

Each member of the house carried with them a special and unique talent. Sara, Death's older sister, became known as a rather crafty assassin. She weilded two small daggers dipped in poison and donned little armor as she desired speed over protection. Joseph, Death's father and all around king of the house...adorned heavy army and weilded a rather large and destructive broad sword. He was a man that towered over many opponents with shear initimidation tactics and/or mustles. Barbara, Death's mother, was the old wise woman on the house and though lacking in combat skills, she excelled in worldly knowledge and unique anticdotes.

Death, the last remaining of the family, was the crafty one. He having been the last in line of his family...he spent most of his free time in the house graveyard and practiced the arts of necromancy. This left little time to hone his combat skills and left much...if any to be desired. Being a novice, the only knowledge Death held about the black arts...was fact that would one day be proven horribly wrong. Death was under the impression that the graveyard strengthened his necromancy, when infact it all depended on ones own will power. Death gave a laugh as he heared the news that even he could take the throne for but a brief moment and spoke one final line with a spooky grin.

Death-"The will of the dead will see that our houses rightful respect is returned!"

OOC: Sorry my bad:)

Edited by Black9

At the back of the room, Katelyn - or was it Karen? - let her eyes wander over the assembled people, long lashes concealing the interest in her deep-blue eyes. Not far from her, Karen - or Katelyn? - cocked her head slightly, apparently bored but intent on every whisper she could hear. Both sisters would later compare their impressions, and how that would help their House.

Katelyn turned and seemed to flow among the other people, her silvery hair adorned with blue-gray jewels confirming her identity. Smiling to some, and giving a hint of a smirk to others, she stopped just in sight of Malvolio's niche. The sleeveless midnight-blue dress marked her slim sillouette, and finally locating Duke she glided on to talk to him.

There's interesting talk going on around... I wonder how the news are affecting those who aren't here. I must find more.

After a while, catching Karen's eye, Katelyn nods and leaves - changing in the process to her demoness form, knowing that it would attract the attention of some she wanted to.

What are the news, then?

Paul, in ragged clothes, sat at the base of a large building, his face covered by a hood. Some passers-by had put coins in his outstretched hands. He never moved to take the coins, sitting motionless in the scorching sun. There were already several silver, and one gold piece in his hand, when a young boy walked past and placed a small, copper coin in his palm. The boy ran off and Paul stood up, stretching. From the corner of his eye he watched the boy, while pocketing the coins.

When the boy was about fifty meters away, Paul went after him. The boy rounded a corner, and Paul quickened his steps. After he himself rounded the corner, he moved into the gateway to a house, and entered the doorm which had been left slightly ajar.

"I've been told to tell you that Bances has announced the start of the selection of regent."

"Good boy." - Paul said with a smile, and handed the boy all of the coins he had gathered during the morning. The boy thanked him and ran off outside. Paul picked up the paper from the table on which was given their next meeting place and time.

Paul left ten minutes later, thinking about the current situation. The boy was a good means of gathering information and sending messages. Paul made a mental note of sending a message with the boy the next time they met.

Edited by Patrick Durham

Death thought hard about joining the crowd at their little get-together, but decided against the idea as he'd never been good with crowds. Having grown up in a graveyard...there wasn't many that came to visit and even if they did it was for other reasons. If they happened to pass by then great...they said hi...but the fact remained that not many passed by and this left Death a little lacking in normal behavior.

Death-"Mother, Father, why did you leave me at such a young age? I need you now as I needed you then...how is child of my age supposed to survive and thrive on his own?" Death once again turned the direction of the commotion and gave a spooky grin.

Death-"One day...when I'm ready...I will join them...father."

Dark eyes glanced, unseen from around the corner and examined everyone in the room for a moment. A moment later they were followed by a woman in dark clothes but a red velvet cloak.

She smiled and then openly scanned the room to see who wanted to catch her eye. After a moment she headed towards Karen.

There was much to discuss with those who were interested.

"So what do you think of all this?" She gave a slight giggle as she added "I hear that ability is supposed to be one of the criteria--I know some people who will be mad to hear that!"

Samantha sat listening to the High Priest attentively, her regal manner and elegant posture a credit to her House. As she listened to the High Priest talk about the temporary succession of the throne, Samantha couldn't help but wonder how long the post would have to be filled for.

Where is Merlin? Samantha wondered to herself as the High Priest finished his speech and left the room.

She sat amidst the sudden conversation for a moment, thoughts to herself as she pondered the situation. The role would be a true honour to take, one that Samantha knew she had been born and bred to uphold - if it was asked of her, of course.

Taking in the shadows of people who had listened in on the meeting with less than formal invites, Samantha pondered to herself just how many people there might be in the midst of the Court who would resort to less respectable means of obtaining the throne...and whether they would give it back when Merlin returned.

Thoughts for another time. Brightening her face with a dazzling smile, Samantha rose from her seat with the grace of a cat and went to join one of the various conversations now taking place.

Far be it from her to turn down the possiblity of such an honour to the House of Aldwin.

Edited by Mynx

Karen, identified by the yellow, orange and red gems in her hair, moved through the crowd, nodding politely at some acquaintances, smiling at a few friends, and generally tried to pick up as many bits of conversation as she could.

When she was approached by Choseyre she had to chuckle at her remark.

"Yes, that would definitely rule some people out. And a good thing it is, too ..."

The kept talking softly for a little while longer, moving through the crowd so nobody would hear more than a few words of their conversation. When Choseyre left to talk to someone else, Karen didn't stay much longer - several people had left already, and it wouldn't be considered strange if she left.

Quietly she left the room, hardly noticed ...

Gregor sat in his seat laughing in his mind This is my chance he thought. I will see my dreams come to fruition soon

Gregor rose from his seat. Being only 3' 4" he barely reached most people's midsection but he didn't mind. He was honored in the House of Tinara and the rest of the court because of his mutation.

He walked around and made the appropriate greetings to people and the girls seemed to love him. Little did they know that soon he would be in charge of all of them and then they'd respect him not for his size but out of power. Yes, he would have the power and soon. Only a few more pieces and he would be on the throne in charge of all...