The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Read and Learn

The sunlight blinded her for a moment, and while she grabbed her sunglasses from her pocket, Zira, the kitten minion Mynx had given her was happily trampling along. She meowed out of joy, and was already digging herself into the sand, throwing large amounts of sand over her feet. Sweetcherrie let her play and walked over to where the kids’ entertainment tent was supposed to be.

The yellow and red canvas was lying in a heap on the floor, and she frowned slightly when she saw that there wasn’t even anybody here to work on it. With a few well-aimed spells the tent would be up in no time, but she didn’t do magic, and apparently nobody else was around. With a sigh she put the notebook down, and started pulling at the canvas to get it off the frame that was underneath it. Sweat dripped down her back, but she wasn’t too worried about that, nothing a good shower wouldn’t rinse off again. Finally she managed to uncover the frame, and for a moment she felt rather discouraged. The massive pile of iron bars was not numbered nor did there seem to be any logic in the order to put them together. Sweetcherrie inhaled deeply, picked up the first part of the frame and set at work.

Two hours later the frame was standing, and when she looked at her work she was rather satisfied with herself. With more hope than she had felt before she started working on getting the canvas on the frame, and after half an hour she had managed to have it lying on top of the frame. She gently pushed aside the canvas and walked inside the tent to tie it to the frame. Sweetcherrie was just about to start on the third ribbon, when she heard a soft rumbling sound. She looked around to see where it’d come from, and when she didn’t notice anything weird she walked to the next corner to tie the ribbon there as well. When she grabbed the ribbon, the tent started wobbling and with a loud WOOSH the whole thing fell down on top of her. She crawled out from under the tent, and was greeted by Zira. The kitten had obviously noticed that something was wrong, and was meowing happily that Sweetcherrie had managed to get out. The minion checked one last time to see if her friend was ok, and darted off towards the portal to get back to the meeting room.

Sweetcherrie told her to wait for a moment, and looked at the yellow and red canvas lying in a heap on the floor. She now understood why the tent hadn’t been standing in the first place. Normally she was stubborn enough to give it another try, but with all the work that still needed doing, Sweetcherrie decided that the kids entertainment would be held in the open air. With her pencil she striped of the line that said “kids tent”, and with a last shake of her head she turned around and followed Zira back to the meeting room to tell everybody that the kids entertainment was as ready as it would ever be.

OOC:

Read and Learn

Write a story or a poem that teaches a lesson to the kids, keep it in kids language as well.

For example write a poem that tells children how important it is to eat vegetables, or to brush their teeth.

For the first post you receive 15 geld, for all following post you receive 10 geld.

There will no longer be any closing dates on this....or at least not for the moment...

Post Away! and have fun ;)

Edit: The Fingerpainting has been moved here

Edited by Gwaihir

Patham, still wet from his experience at the diving/fishing stand and with an oyster shell in his hand walks up to see what Sweetcherrie is doing.

"Stories for kids and finger painting? I'm not sure that I'm the person for..." - then he saw Sweetcherrie's stare. "Oh allright, I'll take part." - he said with a broad smile on his face.

OOC: that is a signup for both activities. :)

Edited by Patrick Durham

“You will have to write a story that tells a lesson, children. You can write it all down, and then tomorrow we will read the stories in class.”

As the children left, John sat down. It had been a long day again. Especially little Billy had been causing trouble. That kid always managed to fall from trees, and hurt himself. Today he had been playing with a ball and had accidentally knocked over the school mascot. The gold-coloured monkey had broken of his arm, and it would be quite expensive to get it fixed again. He sighed, and packed his stuff together. He still had to look over the tests he had given out today, but he would do that at home.

The class was very excited the next day, all of them carried pieces of papers on them with their stories, and they were all chatting about who would have to read his or her paper in front of the class. He let them chat for a bit, and then cleared his throat.

“So who wants to go first?”

As he had hoped the class went silent at this.

“Ok, I’ll choose a volunteer then…..Anne you can go first.”

The girl scurried out from behind her desk, and walked to the front of the class. It was clear that she really didn’t want to tell her story in front of the whole class, but John knew that they all had to learn to speak in public. He nodded to Anne that she could start, and hesitantly the girl started reading.

“My dad has chicken, and yesterday we gathered the eggs and drove them all off to the market. We had 20 eggs when we left. During the drive I had the basket with eggs on my lap. When we got to the market we had only 12 eggs left. My dad was really angry about me, and told me I had to be more careful with them.”

“So what’s the lesson you’ve learned?”

“That you have to be careful with fragile things.”

John nodded and told her to go back to her place. He looked around the class, all of the children tried to make themselves as small as possible.

“Maggie, you can read next.”

Maggie started protesting, but hurried forward when he told her that she could also get an insufficient.

“My dad has 20 sheep, and they were all pregnant. But when the lambs were born 2 died.”

“Hmm…a bit short, but what is the lesson you’ve learned?”

“That you shouldn’t count the lambs before they’re born.”

“Not bad, you can sit down.”

John looked through the class, and then on his watch. They had time for just one more before the break. In the back of the class Billy was pulling one of the girl’s braids, and the girl was just going to hit him when John called out Billy’s name.

“Billy, you can read next.”

“But sir!”

“No buts Billy, please come to the front of the class, and read you’re story.”

The boy stood up, and slouched to the front of the class. He looked at his teacher, but didn’t see even a remote trace of a soft spot, so he sighed and started reading.

“When my auntie Linda was in the army one day they dropped her from an airplane with a parachute. In her pockets she had a bottle of whiskey, a machine gun, and a knife. While she was going down she drank the bottle of whiskey so at least she didn’t have to worry about that anymore. Upon landing she ran into the arms of 70 armed men. She took her machinegun and shot 50 of them, and then she ran out of bullets. She took her knife and killed another 15 before the blade broke. The last 5 she killed with her bare hands.”

Billy stopped, and wanted to go back to his seat, but John stopped him. He frowned.

“So what is the lesson that you’ve learned from this?”

Billy shrugged.

“Don’t mess with auntie Linda when she’s drunk.”

OOC: I've heard various people that weren't too happy with the set dates....

Would it be possible for someone with the necesary powers to split the thread?

This way there would be one Thread for the 'Read and Learn' and one for the 'Fingerpainting'.....

Also I am removing the set dates...meaning that you can just post in these two activities when you want.......

The first post in either of these threads will still earn you 15 geld :) and the following ones 10 geld

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Thomas, having decided to see what the Carnival booths were about, followed some random signs and after a while found himself circled by a horde of incredibly noisy, dusty, and demanding little demons.

Or so he thought at first, while holding his precious lute above his head and screaming in near-panic, unable to move due to the vicious grip of some minions who had latched themselves to his calves.

A few seconds later, he was staring at the very angel-like blue eyes of a small demon who had somehow climbed onto him and was in the process of strangling him with small arms clutching his neck.

"Noooooo..."

Fortunately for Thomas the sand was pretty soft at that spot and the children were quick as only small children can be, and as he landed flat on his back he neither hurt himself nor any of the "little demons".

Panting, Thomas struggled for some time to get rid of all the little hands trying to help him; giving up, he let some bigger children help him to sit, and looked around. Two toddlers grabbed his calves again, and he carefully unlatched them and sat them at his side. The little blue-eyed girl giggled, sitting on his lap and trying to hug him again. Sighing, Thomas raised his voice.

"Children, please, calm down... huh... ehh... if you calm down, uncle Thomas will ... play something for you!"

With those words, he struck some chords on his lute. There was an almost immediate, wondering silence, and Thomas tried to remember any children's song that he could actually sing.

"Ducks! Sing something about ducks?" asked the blue-eyed girl, smiling. While looking at her, Thomas also smiled, and holding both her and his lute he started to improvise some verses.

Quick Quack -

look at the pack!

Run, run,

avoid the sun!

Quack quacked -

nobody backed.

Fun fun

to be on the run!

Quick Quack -

leave them back!

Run, run -

they bring the gun!

Quack quacked -

the speed he lacked...

Bark, bark...

they found their mark.

Feathers flew,

yellow as few:

Quack quacked -

his tail lacked!

Curious Quack,

your mom was right...

Beware of strangers,

don't risk your feathers!

~~~~

Edit: wrong preposition...

Edit2: verb tenses

:P

Edited by Tanuchan

Hmm...

ok I posted my last post when I was in a hurry, and realise that it didn't really make sense to ask for the thread to be split...

so basicly I have just started a separate thread for the fingerpainting....if someone could rename this thread to 'Read and Learn' ...that would be nice... :unsure:

And Tanny, great lesson :D

• 1 month later...

Schoolteacher John sighed to himself and began cleaning off the blackboard. It had been another long day in the classroom, and he couldn't wait to get home and wash the smell of kindergarten out of his hair. After Billy had relayed his age-old joke, Maggie and Agatha had naturally wanted to chip in with their own stories of drunken relatives. John had awarded Billy an F-minus for lack of originality, but could only nod and call recess when Agatha began describing her father's brass-knuckle bar brawls.

"Quack Quacked." John hummed to himself as he shoved his attendence book into his backpack. "Jeeze, if I don't get that bard's melody outta my head, I'm gonna go q-"

John froze as the distinct sound of children giggling filled the rear of the room. He dropped his backpack. Impossible... The school bell had rang a good ten minutes ago, and it usually only took thirty seconds for-

"Lookit that pic of Tom." Billy pointed and the circle of children laughed. They all seemed to be gathered around an object of some sort, and were staring at it intently.

"Give me that!" John shoved through the crowd of children and snatched the object from their hands. A cry of dismay broke out from students. "A book?! Shouldn't you kids be home by now, playing your online roleplaying games?"

A silence fell over the children, and they reluctantly exitted from the classroom one at a time. John stared at the cover of the book for a long moment, raising a brow at its stick figure depiction of a man sitting on top of several bags of gold. The title was scrawled messily over the top of the page.

"Almost Dragonic Brand Immoral Stories™...?" John frowned and opened the book. His eyes widened upon seeing a stick figure illustration of a monkey with a broken arm.

Billy Blake was playing ball

and hit the mascot down.

Go steal the monkey's golden arm

and make yourself a crown!

Anne's daddy had 20 eggs,

she stole 8, made'em 12.

Anne eats omlets every morn

then rinses off the smell.

Two of Maggie's sheep were dead,

whatever could she do?

She chopped the dead ones into pieces,

served'em up as stew.

Auntie Linda showed the army

that strong whiskey can kill.

Try some and aim your sub-machinegun

at the teacher's grill!

Feathers fly as dogs attack,

and hunter shotguns crack.

Apperetif before sheep stew

as soon as the ducks quack.

;-p

OOC: thanks to Appy, for helping Patham out. :)

Patham stepped into the room, full of kids and saw the expectant faces looking at him.

“What are you going to talk to us about, mister?” – asked one of the girls before Patham could even introduce himself.

“Well…” – he started, but was interrupted again.

“Is it going to be as stupid as the quacky poem?” – asked sarcastically a boy this time.

"Don't say that!" - retorted the previous girl. "It was quite a good poem!"

“Well…” – Patham was about to reply to the boy, but once again he couldn’t continue.

“Can you talk to us about something interesting?” – two twins had spoken this almost simultaneously.

Patham started despairing. If they interrupted him this often, then he wouldn’t be able to tell the story he had wanted to tell, and Sweetcherrie would be mad at him for not having completed what he had signed up for.

Appy saw Patham's look, got to her feet and said: "Come on let him start already! He's not gonna tell us anything if we keep talking y'know" With a smug look she said down again and nodded at Patham: "Please?"

“Why, thank you Appy!” – Patham said, grateful that someone had helped him.

“So as I was saying, or I mean trying to say, that I shall be telling you a story, and then at the end talk with you about the story.”

Shocked silence greeted his words. Whether it was due to Appy’s intrusion, or what he had just said, he had no idea.

“This story is about a knight, who loved eating strawberries. They were his favourite food. Whenever he could get his hands on them he did, and eat as many as he could.”

“One day the knight was called upon by his king. He had to travel to a far away land to rescue the princess, who had been kidnapped by the big, bad, evil dragon. And so set out he did. Many adventures he had before reaching the tower where the princess was kept captive.”

Patham detailed several of the adventures, which ranged from a surprise attack by trolls to needing to help an old lady recover a stolen sheep.

“…and then, six months after he had set out, Sir Strawberry reached the tower where Princess Mathilda was kept captive. Unfortunately the fields surrounding the tower were strawberry fields and desire overcame Sir Strawberry. He never again left that field.”

“Did he get killed by the dragon?” – asked one of the boys.

“No, he lived happily ever after, each day eating as many strawberries as he could.”

“That ending sucks.” – the boy replied.

Patham ignored the remark.

“So what do you think was the moral of the story?” – he asked the kids.

“Strawberries are good?” – ventured hesitantly one of the girls.

Patham shook his head. Some more of the kids fielded even crazier guesses, and then finally Patham decided that he would tell them.

“The moral of the story is, that you shouldn’t be too obsessive about your hobbies and what you like, otherwise they shall gain control over you.”

He heard several groans and turned to leave. He saw that the kids hadn’t liked his story.

OOC: Edited to change a sentence, which could offend, and unfortunately did. Sorry Tanuchan!

Edited by Patrick Durham