The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Discovery

Finding purchase on the Walls of the Pen, she slowly looks around. Nigh a year and a half and she has never ventured from the Banquet Room. Small but winged she has always had a way to roam, but… never the courage. Courage still eluding her, she yearns to escape. To see and be seen. To stretch her wings and fly. That is her dream. She has watched as others strode confidently through the halls of the Pen, and yet no matter her yearning to follow, she could not take that first step.

Now holding to the Walls of the Pen as though for dear life, she takes a breath…and leaps. Oh, to soar high above the Pen, viewing in full what before she only dared peek at. Flying high she sees it all. There! The Cabaret Room; and there, the Assembly Room. The Conservatory, the Library. What’s this? A Recruiter’s Office? A place unseen, yet always there. How could she have missed it, so close to her home? Beyond she hears the many languages of The Café and The European Classics, but she cannot go beyond the Recruiter’s Office.

As her wings tire, she must decide. Home? or Somewhere New? She longs to go rest, to find purchase on The Walls once again, but she knows that she must not. That first leap was one she did not know she would take and one she was not certain she could take again. Inside, her heart is torn. Home…Somewhere New…Home.... New…. Her eyes are drawn by the life she feels around her, and yet her heart, her soul, is pulled to that place she so often did not see. Inside she feels life, new, uncertain as she. Oh to have the courage…

Too tired to continue, her first flight at its end, she turns to go home. Perhaps another time, another day. Home, the Banquet room…but…wait, she has grown. No longer is the Banquet room such a cozy fit. Once perfect, now not so. She must fly again, for in her flight she grew. At first uncertain she realizes, that place that called before is calling again. Again a leap, less hesitant than the first, she glides, and then dives. Straight to the Recruiter’s Office. A new place. A new dream. Not a new home, but one small step towards striding alongside those of the Pen. That’s right, not behind them, not to follow. Her dream, like herself, has grown. No longer does she wish to follow. No, she will soar, she will stride, and one day, she will lead.

Seeing the determined look on her beak, Door creaks in surprise and opens in time for her to swoop in.

Melba is out, and cobwebs drape artistically from stacks of old applications.

Wyvern is no where in sight at the moment, but the partially eaten sandwich without mold at his desk gives hope...

A wolf pads in softly soon after MinimondoT sweeps in, Door having recognized her and waited for her to enter before closing softly. She finds the newest applicant looking at Wyvern's desk, as always full of scattered papers and, for a change, a somewhat fresh-looking sandwich.

MinimondoT yelps in surprise at the gentle nudge, her wings fluttering and wishing to take her away from the wolf. Tanny grins and shimmers back into her human form.

"Welcome to the Pen, MinimondoT... I've seen you around, though I'm not sure we've really met before. Wyvern's probably busy in one of his schemes, but you can sit down and wait... " She points to the applicant's easy-chair.

"Make yourself comfortable. I think I'll make you a bit of company while our Greedy Lizard... eeeehm... I mean, Great Lizard... uhhh.... Great Elder... gets rid of his trouble..." That are probably fully earned... ".... and barges in."

She leaves for some minutes, coming back with a tray with refreshment and cookies. Picking a chair for herself, she sits down with a soft sigh. This time, I'll try to be in clear view...

"So... I see that you're starting to explore the Pen... anything I may help you with? I may have a couple of interesting places to show you, if you're interested. " She smiles amiably.

Mini accepts the refreshments with a smile and, upon shedding

her cloak of feathers, takes her human form and a seat.

“Thanks Tanny. It feels good to be exploring the Pen, even if it does take a bit of effort."

Mini smiles again, "Any place you think I should see I am sure I will love. Just say when and where and I will try to make it. For right now I'll probably hang out around here, see what there is to see, discover what's right in front of my beak."

Enjoying the refreshments Tanny brought, Mini waits...

Wyvern barges in through the infamous Recruiter's Office door just as MinimondoT finishes the last of the cookie refreshments. The overgrown lizard carries a large bottle labeled "Molasses," which swishes in his right claw as he strides towards the sandwich on his desk. Pouring the contents of the bottle over his sandwich, Wyvern turns his head towards the others in the Office. He sneers at their disgusted stares and perks up upon noticing MinimondoT.

"Awww... Peredhil, Tanuchan, you shouldn't have!" Wyvern begins sorting through the endless mess next to his desk until he comes across an Almost Dragonic Brand Jumbo Bib™, which essentially amounts to several tax forms taped together. "My peanut butter and curly onion cheese doodle sandwich with extra molasses is pretty good as it is, but I can't turn down an offer of free food. I guess I could have a little faerie on the side..."

Peredhil and Tanuchan stare at Wyvern blankly as he sneers maliciously towards MinimondoT. The lizard licks his scaly lips with a forked tongue as the applicant backs away.

"Ummm, Wyvern." Tanuchan glances towards the frightened MinimondoT, then glares at the reptilian Elder. "That's not a snack, that's our newest applicant."

"Ah." The lizard's face droops in disappointment, and he bows apologetically. "Eheheh. Sorry for the confusion... Lemme see that application."

Wyvern snatches MinimondoT's application from her tiny hands and begins reading over it, undoing his bib with one claw as he does so. Once he's finished with the sheet, the lizard grins and hisses:

"Flight huh? Never could manage it myself, these wings weren't made for flying. I've been trying to patent a set of Almost Dragonic Brand Gravitation Limbs™ for those who lack the privelege, though. Take a look-see."

Wyvern reaches under his desk and pulls out a large sack of prosthetic limbs, which have tiny wings attached to their plastic heels. He then proceeds to toss the sack into the air with all his might, only to watch as it fails to hover and comes collapsing down on Tanuchan.

"Drat" grumbles Wyvern, cringing at the pile of limbs and avoiding Peredhil's stare.

He immediately wanders towards his desktop in search of an application stamp, hoping to switch the conversation.

"I like the whole idea of leading that you bring up" says Wyvern, pulling the stamp from its hiding place. "In fact, I could help you out if you ever feel like executing a plot for Pen domination. I'm an expert schemer and strategist when it comes to that sort of stuff, in fact I even have the paperwork to prove it. All for a reasssonable price, of course."

The lizard shifts through a strange folder on his desk and begins muttering incoherent rhymes to himself. MinimondoT watches this in confusion, and cringes as the lizard curses and tosses blank papers from the folder. She relaxes, however, when he stamps her application ACCEPTED.

;-)

OOC: An ACCEPTED application piece, MinimondoT, welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) I'm glad that you finally decided to apply, and hope that you'll find the Pen a very welcoming and friendly writing community to post in. I look forward to reading more of your works and participating with you in roleplaying projects. Once again, welcome!