Those dull, hollow eyes

I had a million questions to ask

Had he talked to whats'hisface

Did he know what ever happened to that girl

But before I got the chance to ask

He excused himself and left

And faded away like fog in the Sun

Can this remove my Weenie Award?

That's brilliantly haunting and in a way a little too true to life! Somtimes old acquaitances are determined to put on a show of false cheeriness about their situation and are so awfully unconvincing that it's actually really uncomfortable to talk to them for any length of time.

I think that to some extent everyone may be guilty of it though. When meeting someone who you've not seen for a long time there's often a temptation to say how well life's been in the interim. And if life hasn't been so brilliant, then for want of something positive to say it's possible slight exageration may happen. Maybe it's an aspect of human nature to try to find good in everything, however unhelpful and blinding it can be!

Heh, sorry for nearly launching into a commentary on the pressures of social values. It's a great poem.

I'd prolly be awkwardly cheerful if I'd meet any of my old acquintances from school, too - it's hard to give an accurate report of your real quality of life, and so only the usual things count: houses, families, wives and husbands, kids and jobs, money. And I have none of that, so any conversation that starts with "So how are you these days?" is doomed from the start.

I'm nevertheless happy from time to time, but in too intangible way to convey to some old friend. :hmm:

I seem to be walking into old friends a lot lately, and find it very hard to talk with these people. When I saw them day to day that's what we spoke about, but now it seems so much harder to find suitable subjects.

But then, doesn't live work that way? change?

- Sweetcherrie

Zadown, you have friends here in which you can convey :D

Mira - I took the liberty of editting the title to reflect the fact that this is your Weenie Award buyoff post. :)

Otherwise, a good poem, makes me want to find out what's been happening to my friends... well, except that I know. One of them is getting married already. =P Makes me feel old! :)

Otherwise, congratulations on the loss of your Weenie Award. :)