The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XV: The Name of the Rose

Tanuchan

Brother Caire walks the abbey pathways in silence lost in contemplation or maybe prayer.

The path hasn't been swept today and his mind flickers to Novice Felipe, being punished for... for... something? Maybe. Poor lad. Surely the job will be assigned to another, though with the chaos in the Abbey, who can say.

A quiet noise intrudes on Brother Caire's contemplation and he notices Brother Rhys also in the garden lost in thought or prayer and he's about to approach for converse when Brother Rhys drops to his knees. Brother Caire hesitates, not wanting to intrude on a Brother taking solice in prayer.

Instead Brother Caire's feet trace their way to the scriptorium where he awaits the librarians to bring him the material he was asked to copy for his Dominican Brothers.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((OOC: :ph34r: How could you off Quincunx! You evil, maligned peoples, you!))

IC:

Brother Thomas spent most of his free time that day, praying for the souls of those who had passed in recent times. Unlike some of his brothers, he had been able to sleep- it was amazing what a person trained themselves to handle nearly any situation that might require penance. And so, the good Brother prayed, and prayed hard, wondering what the next night would bring.

He wondered also, what would come about when the Inquisitor arrived. He worried not- the Inquisitor was an agent of the church, and as such, an instrument of the Lord. All things in their own due time would come to pass, such was the will of God.

He finished his prayer to the almighty, and taking his parchment and paper, set about the cafeteria, transcribing the recent happenings into his records of the last days. With a sigh, he also began to write into his personal notes- with such fervor that he had forgotten the meal that he had laid out before him, and it had gotten cold- whereupon he had to be reminded by Brother Rhys, who had seemingly joined him...

((OOC Again: I'm just trying to work in a little more character interaction, so you may take over from here, Akellabeth... Just recall, Brother Thomas is stull subject to his Vow of Silence, and can communicate though, via writing.))

Brother Alcott walks slowly towards the scriptorium, marveling at how little his routine differs from yesterday and the day before and the day before that. But so much is different now. So many dead, gone, or shut away. Felipe, Francis, Adelmo, Benedicte, Adrian... Alcott tries to list the victims in his head and finds, to his shock, that he cannot remember them all. Dear God...we've taken many casualties. Too many... Though he wishes he could convince himself otherwise, the monk cannot shake the feeling that the Devil will not leave them just yet. He wonders if perhaps he too, should leave, for it seems the Abbey, always a place of peace and security, is no longer such. But was it ever, really? And didn't you jeopardize that when... No! Silence! I would never put the security of this monastery in danger! You say that, but perhaps, accidently, in your thirst for beauty, the beauty of the written word... Ah, yes. Perhaps I am too fond of my letters, but it is a harmless infatuation. It could never hurt anyone. Unless you love your letters more than you love God, and I think you know the answer to that...

As he walks into the scriptorium the monk moves slowly, more slowly than he might have in happier times. He walks as if a great burden weighs upon his shoulders. Sitting down at one of many empty desks, Alcott picks up his pen. Gratefully he allows himself to take solace in the graceful forms of the letters and pleasent scritching of his pen upon the paper. His thoughts wander, and they are strangely, sadly peaceful. Whatever is happening, whatever has brought these terrible events, it is coming to an end. It must. Yes, I feel it in my heart. There have been too many casualities. It must end. In his heart, Brother Alcott mourns his fellows, lost to death and fallen victim to their brothers. But most of all he remembers Thibault, dead, and Felipe, under eternal penance. He was just a boy...

Eventually, Alcott rises, and goes to seek out his fellow brothers. He is determined that the sinner must be caught.

OOC: Hinting towards the forbidden act, the evil thought returns, accusation tomorrow. I'm still thinking.

Brother Caire copies documents with care, being sure to record every little bit of information exactly as it is laid out on the page. You never know when something that you thought was insignificant might turn out to be hugely important...

While working Brother Caire remains focussed, however once he stops his mind, ever busy goes back to the mystery at hand in the Abbey.

Thinking back over the last day or two Brother Caire realises that he's not seen or heard much of anything from Brother Philips Hue since Brother Adrian escaped from his cell below the smithy.

Possibly it meant nothing, after all I did hear that Brother Thibault claimed that he and Brother Philips Hue were to be the next victims. Had it been my name mentioned I'd go into hiding also... But what if it's not a co-incidence?

~~~

OOC: I accuse Brother Philips Hue because he seems to have gone MIA at a very tense time in the game... and because Tanny told us that if we don't accuse someone then we all lose.

After breakfast and prime, Brother Mathiue an Brother Gulzar went to work in the gardens together. Brother Gulzar was pulling bryony roots from his lawn, and with every root that came loose from the earth with a snap, he had to think about how poor Brother Thibaults life had snapped.

"Can you imagine, how affraid Brother Thibault must have been?" Brother Mathieu had obviously been thinking the same.

Brother Gulzar's throat was too thick to talk so he merely nodded. Looking up he saw Brother Caire walking by towards the scriptorium, probably to work.

"What do you think of him?" Brother Mathieu asks, "He doesn't seem too upset about all this, I can't even remember him expressing sorrow over the killings of our fellow Brothers."

Brother Gulzar nods again, but in his head he goes over what he knows about Brother Caire.

"He is a scholar, and he had voiced doubt on the rightfullness of Felipe's penance, and he has spent a lot of time in confession. But does that make him a murderer?"

Brother Gulzar unrooted more bryony and flinched as the roots snapped freem from the ground, "I have also heared rumours that he wished to be the one to discover be better at uncovering herecy like the dominican monks...but what would he want to use this knowledge for?"

"- listening?, hello? I asked you a question."

Brother Gulzar looked up, Brother Mathieu had been talking to him but he had not been paying attention. He cleared his throat, "I'm sorry what did you say?"

"I asked if you thought we needed to plant more valerian?"

OOC: I accuse Gryphon - Brother Caire

edit: typo

Edited by Sweetcherrie

(OOC: Hope I'm not too late)

"Brother Thomas," Rhys said, "if you do not eat soon, your meal will become cold, and the cook's hard work shall all be for naught."

Thomas looks up quickly from his notes, as if just realizing that he is not alone, and has food in front of him. He nods to Rhys, obviously expressing thanks for his words. He quickly eats his food, a delicious shepherd's pie, and returns to his notes.

Rhys feels that there is not much time left. If the killer is not found soon, there may be no reason for there to be a cook.

Sighing, he returns to his thoughts. Brother Caire, perhaps he could be the murderer? But it was truly impossible to know for sure.

(OOC- Quick post and accusation of Brother Caire)

EDIT: changed my mind

Edited by Akallabeth

My Dear Abbot,

In light of recent events, things around the abbey have become understandably tense. An aura of fear and suspicion permeate the air of the abbey, these recent days- I believe that some of my brothers, God help their souls, are losing the faith and rationality that the Lord provided them. First amongst this number is Brother Gulzar- I have heard him on more than one ocassion casting aspersions and unprovable testimony against our brethren and servants here in this abbey. It is with a heavy heart that I write to you, requesting that something be done about this immediately, for the good of the Abbey. May God help the good brother as he, our Heavenly Father sees fit, but on this Earth, we must deal with things as they are necessary.

It is of my opinion, at this time, that Brother Gulzar at least take a sabbatical from this abbey, at your reccomendation. It would not do for him to continue with the irrational fearmongering that he has been laying out before us- and at such a juncture, it is a dangerous thing. I am but a lowly servant of the Lord, but I do believe that this must come to an end.

Go with God,

Brother Thomas

((OOC: Accusation for Brother Gulzar, Sweetcherrie))

Edited by Knight

Brother Mathieu thinks about the latest events and notices how absent-minded Brother Gulzar was. Brother Caire was walking in the garden. Brother Mathieu looks up.

- Did you lost something, Brother Caire?

The scholar walks over the gardening monks, obviously upset.

- It seems that I've lost the trust of my fellow brothers.

- Well, replies Mathieu, if you can justify reasonably your behavior, perhaps we'll reconsider our suspicions.

Both gardeners have their attention focused on Brother Caire.

(OOC: No vote yet. I know I shouldn't abuse of abstention but I'd like to have a good motive before voting.)

At first, Felipe paid no attention to the footsteps coming down the corridor. He barely heard them, tired and hungry as he was, and instead tried to concentrate on his prayers. The fact that he was sitting on his knees on the hard, stone floor and that he had to do them in Latin didn't help his concentration on little bit.

"Amen.

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Pater noster, qui es in caelis, ..."

Felipe stopped praying when the door to his cell opened, at least outwardly. Inwardly, he was praying even faster, praying that this would not be the murderer out to get him as well.

When he looked up and saw Joseph, though, he smiled. He remembered relieving the servant of an unpleasant task a few times as a penance. Felipe got to his feet.

"Joseph, I believe?"

Putting the meals down, Joseph whispered, "Yes, ssshhh. I thought you might get hungry down here, so I brought you something to eat."

This probably isn't allowed, but there's so much that isn't, and I'm so hungry ...

Felipe discovered that it's hard to keep your voice down when you're enthusiastic.

"Hey, thanks! Want to join me for a few moments?"

Sitting down on Felipe's bunk they sat eating and talking for some time, both of them wondering who the murderer could be. When they heard footsteps, They both jumped up, quickly hiding the food under the bunk. Joseph started mopping his way out of the cell while Felipe quickly sunk back on his knees, starting to pray again, grateful for his full stomach and the companionship.

"Well, replies Mathieu, if you can justify reasonably your behavior, perhaps we'll reconsider our suspicions."

Brother Caire nods, "What you ask is fair enough, perhaps if I tell you a little about my own order and my place in it... The Dominican order is at it's very heart dedicated to protecting Gods children from herecy. My Brothers are often called upon by the church to act as her inquisitors, often do they get asked to seek out those who are accused of being heretics. Their task being to obtain a confession from them or names of anyone thought to be guilty."

Brother Caire closes his eyes for a moment, shadows of expression flicker across his face as he remembershis friends back in his home Abbey.

Opening his eyes he continues... "I don't confront heretics as directly as some of my brothers do. Instead I travel as you see me, a scholar, seeking knowledge to help my brothers better do their work. "

"Before now I had never personally encountered the work of the devil in the land. I fear I had discounted some of my Brothers tales. Of late I find that I should have listened closer for they might have told me ways to identify evil that would help us all here... I only hope that God and you will forgive my inattention and that it does not cost us all too much."

Brother Caire meets the gaze of the two gardners. "This poison that spreads amongst the monks here does none of us any good, I fear that it just opens a door for the evil that is waiting without to take us all....

I fear that I myself am not immune, I suspected one of our Brothers - Philips Hue. I have wronged him... yet you Brother Gulzar have been the source of no few suspicions about our Brothers yourself. Are you any less guilty than I am?"

~~~

OOC: Change my vote to Brother Gulzar. I didn't want to play finger pointing games, but I did feel bad about my last vote considering there was no motive other than a MIA

I fear that I myself am not immune, I suspected one of our Brothers - Philips Hue. I have wronged him... yet you Brother Gulzar have been the source of no few suspicions about our Brothers yourself. Are you any less guilty than I am?"

"In my heart I know that I am innocent like a new born baby, and if I could I would rip it out of my chest, to show you that it's clean of sinning." Brother Gulzar replies.

Brother Caire looks at Brother Gulzar and sees that there is truth in his eyes, but his mind is unfortunately telling hime different things.

"I wished that I could make you see the things that I have seen, my dear Brother Caire," Brother Gulzar continues, "If you would have my history, you too would be affraid, and wanted to catch this killer as soon as possible."

Edit:typo

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Brother Gulzar looks around him, surprised and sadenned at the looks of suspicion. Some of his brethren even refuse to look at him, remembering chores they hadn't finished.

A gentle hand closes over his shoulder, and he turns to find Brother Farhaven's serene look.

"Brother Gulzar, the Abbot wishes to speak to you."

He nods, following the scholar. As soon as he meets the Abbot's eyes, though, Brother Gulzar feels a wrenching pain in his heart.

"Father... do you suspect me also?"

The Abbot bows his head, an almost apology. Then, he picks a letter on his table.

"It has been brought to my attention, Brother Gulzar, that you have been spreading gossip in this Abbey, casting aspersions and unprovable testimony against your brethren and servants. I understand that you are still young, so you need yet to temper your impetuosity with wisdom. So, it is my belief that you should leave this Abbey for some time, Brother. You will find that traveling and sheltering among different servants of the Lord will help your own growth and understanding."

Brother Gulzar falls on his knees, whispering in despair, "Father, please... I sinned, but without intention... I was trying to find the murderers, those who did the unthinkable... I must tell you... I used the secret passageways in the Abbey..."

"The Passages!" The Abbot gasps in surprise, almost horrified. "Brother Gulzar, have you been spying your brothers?"

"I..."

"Do you need Absolution, Brother Gulzar?"

Both voice and countenance are stern, and so full of authority, that Brother Gulzar lowers his head to Confess his sins. And to Seal the Abbot's lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOC: Brother Gulzar/Sweetcherrie was the Seer. Ouch! It's now Night Phase. Wolves/Baner, you have 24 hours to send me your targets. Also, check the OOC thread for changes to NPC status.

Brother Gulzar has been sent to another Abbey in penance, as suggested by Brother Thomas. Sweetcherrie, you're free to post RPing his trip.

Edited by Tanuchan

Brother Gulzar leaves with his head hanging, "Will my fellow brothers survive?" he looks at the lawn as he passes by towards the gates. A stubborness rises and he suddenly feels a bit lighter.

"I will not leave untill I have done one final thing," He thinks and walks through the gates.

Once outside he waits untill it is totally dark and silently walks back. He enters the toolshed, and goes at work.

2 hours later

Brother Gulzar looks at the stick he is holding in his hands, made from wood and slightly wider at one end. From the workbench he picks up the little flag and a small shuffle. He also picks up the piece of parchment he had written earlier.

He opens the door of the toolshed and glances around, there was no-one to be seen. He walks towards a corner of his lawn and kneels down. He carefully digs a little round hole and sticks the flag in it. He places the stick on the floor and sticks the note to the flag.

He reads the note one last time:

Dear Brothers,

I know that I have been stressing a bit over the lawn every now and then, I deeply regret this now I can no longer enjoy your presence.

I have once been told about a game called Golf, and I hereby leave you the equipment needed to play this game.

The lawn should now be even enough to have a simply marvelous time.

Thank you for the good times.

Brother Gulzar

P.S. You have all my official permission to walk on the lawn

"Now I am ready," He mumbles and with a last look he dissappears as silently as he had come, off to his new home.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Brother Alcott is in his cell when news of Brother Gulzar's departure reaches him. Shocked, but telling himself he should have expected something like it, Alcott rises to his feet. He pads down the corridor and comes into the open air. Strangely, his heart is lighter and the monk thinks on this. Perhaps...I do not know. But I feel careless. My only thought is that this is coming to an end, and those dangerous sinners among us will be rooted out. Am I to play a part in this?... Guiltily he remembers Gulzar's absence, and thinks back on his uncharitable thoughts. But I cannot change what I have done, only try to do better in the future.

So absorbed is he in his thoughts that Alcott scarcely notices Brother Mathieu until he has passed his fellow. Turning around, he hurries back to speak with Mathieu. As he does so, he identifies this strange lightness as a lack of timidness. I never realized what an inhibition it was. I suppose now, in such grave times, these trivial things no longer matter. There is a bigger picture, bigger than all of us, and we must devote all our attention to it... My eyes have been opened.

"Brother, have you heard the news? I've only just heard it myself. Perhaps you know more?"

Brother Caire looks haggard the next morning having been up all night praying for forgiveness well beyond the hours designated for prayer.

On his way to the chapel to seek further absolution he stops to see Brother Mathieu.

"Forgive me brother for I fear that I am guilty in part for your mentor Brother Gulzar being sent from this Abbey. I just..."

Brother Caire's words stumble to a holt under the gaze of Brother Mathieu... After a moment he continues wearyness colouring his voice and indeed his entire being.

"I never ment for this to happen. Forgive me. Please."

Edited by Gryphon

Brother Mathieu worked up late, under the supervision of the Abbot, since now he inherited the supervision of the whole gardens and the yeards. When Brother Alcott comes over him and asks about Brother Gulzar, the herborist answers sadly.

- He heard rumors about several people and shared them often with me and the late Brother Thibeault. I couldn't say anything because I've feared that I might raised suspicion about Brother Gulzar, but my silence, ultimatly betrayed him. However, I'm somehow relieved that he's heading for a better place. I guess the only way to repent for that sin, is to pray that Brother Gulzar will have a safe journey and that he'll continue to serve God as faithfully as he served Him here.

Brother Mathieu couldn't restrain from yawning as he was so exhausted. The Abbot reminds the brothers that they should head back to their quarters, which they both diligently do so.

The night is restless for most of the Abbey, few servants being able to get a good night's sleep, and most of the monks spending more than half their sleeping time in prayer.

Near the time of waking up, however, instead of the soft ringing of bells and the "Benedicamus Domino", there came a shout.

"Smoke! Help, help!"

There's a commotion throughout the dormitory and the pilgrims' cells as the shouts multiply. Coming from under the door of one of the cells, a thick, greenish smoke steals out slowly.

Two monks manage to get near enough the door before suffocating, and throw it open. Other two come, with nose and mouth covered, and enter the cell. Soon they come out coughing, stumbling and dragging out the unfortunate brother who slept there.

"Not fire... just... smoke..."

About an hour later, as the last traces of smoke finally dissipate, the Abbot listens with bowed head.

"Something burned. We don't know how, or what. But it asfixiated Brother Alcott."

And a thought comes, haunting, to the Abbot. The Fifth Trumpet... smoke rose from the Abyss...

"The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. And out of the smoke locusts came down upon the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. They were not given power to kill them, but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes a man. During those days men will seek death, but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them. The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. Their hair was like women's hair, and their teeth were like lions' teeth. They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and Chariots rushing into battle. They had tails and stings like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months. They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon." (Revelation 9:1-11)

~~~~~~~

OOC: Brother Alcott/dragonqueen was an innocent copyist. It's Day Phase, and you have about 45 hours from this time-stamp (around 6pm EST on Thursday) to post your accusations.

Dragonqueen, you're welcome to post as an NPC copyist, if you wish. Or to have Brother Alcott thoughts revealed in journals, if you prefer... you know the rules for 'ghosts'. :)

Sorry for the lateness... I had some trouble to post. Scorecard at the OOC thread.

(late edit for font after board change)

Edited by Tanuchan

Brother Gulzar used his hands to scoop some water from the well. He had been travelling for two days now, and he knew he would reach the abbey when the sun would set.

"I wonder how Benneth is doing?" He sat down, rested his back against a tree, and said a prayer for the brothers he had left behind.

"Howdy,"

Brother Gulzar looked around, and saw that the voice had come from a man standing next to the well. Busy with his prayers he hadn't notice the man approach.

He nodded a welcome,"hello."

"Would you mind, if I sat down with you for a moment?"

"No, of course not, please," and he made an inviting gesture towards the ground.

"Thanks," The man sat down and opened his travelbag. he took a lump of bread from it and tore a piece of.

"Warm day for a winterday."

"Yes, certainly." He glanced at his new companion. Beside a travelbag the man was also carrying a leather ball the size of a watermelon. Brother Gulzar tried to hold back his curiousity, but couldn't. He would have to start praying for forgivenes immediately upon arrival in the new abbey.

"What is that? If I might ask." he pointed at the leather ball.

"What? Oh that. that is what they call a football"

"A football?"

"Yes, I have been travelling a lot, and one day I met this Roman stranger who told me about a game they played."

"Say, what direction are you travelling in?" Brother Gulzar asked as he got up, "Because I am travelling south towards the next abbey, and maybe you could enlighten me with your travelstories on the way."

The stranger got up as well, "I go in the same direction, and will be happy to accompany you."

Together they followed the road south again, and the man told Brother Gulzar all about his adventures, but Brother Gulzar was most interested in his encounter with the Roman stranger.

When they finally reached the abbey, they said goodbye, and the man travelled further southwards.

"I haven't even asked his name," Brother Gulzar thought as he followed the man with his eyes, "Oh well, that's just an extra prayer to add to my already long list."

Brother Gulzar tried to rid his robes from the traveling dust that had gathered on it. He was standing in front of a large, wooden door, which was the entrance to the abbey he would spend some time in.

Slightly nervous he knocked on the heavy door, and waited, but no reply came. Maybe they couldn't hear him. He grasped the iron handles, and as the heavy door opened, his new home came in sight.

On his right he saw the abbey stretching out, it was totally different from his old home. For one thing, everything, except for the belltower, was built groundfloor. He could see monks working on their copying behind the windows of, what he expected to be, the library.

The building was bathing in the undergoing wintersun, which gave the building a warm red-golden glow. In total it formed an inviting image.

He looked to his left, and saw more monks working in the gardens. His eyes started to twinkle, and his heart jumped inside his chest. On the far left he saw the green of an enormous lawn. It stretched out from the abbey to the wall, and it was nice and flat.

"It will be excellent to try my new game on that lawn," he thought.

He ripped his eyes loose from the lawn and walked to the entrance of the abbey, he had a lot of praying to do, and it was probably better if he would start right now.

edit:typo

Edited by Sweetcherrie

The guilt of his accusation of Brother Gulzar and his subsequent departure from the Abbey laying heavily on Brother Caire's soul the next day finds him spending many hours in the chapel.

Late afternoon he emerges looking somewhat less haunted, having obviously found some solistice in prayer, knowing that at least now Brother Gulzar's life is safe and sure that the new Abbey will welcome such a skilled gardener.

Brother Caire goes directly from the chapel to the scriptorium where he finds Brother Rhys hard at work. Nodding a greeting Brother Caire approaches a librarian and asks for the work he was copying to be brought to him.

Brother Thomas, noticing also as Brother Caire walks into the room, nods his greeting. Also feeling somewhat guilty about his inaccurate accusation, he has been buried in his writings. It was most unfortunate that things had worked out as they had...

And that he had no ability to make a confession, though the Abbot knew fully who was also responsible for the action.

It was a very perplexing situation. Perhaps someone had had Brother Gulzar's ear- and as such, was playing him like a violin, knowing fully that the good Brother would speculate amongst the others, and create suspicion. However... Brother Thomas had had a hunch, about someone...

Now what to do about it...

Brother Rhys sits in a corner of the scriptorium, in the chair that was Brother. . . oh, who knows. Rhys has seen so many leave or die in the past days. And now. . .the one who probably knew had left. One of the servants just "happened" to have walked by the abbots door while Brother Gulzar was inside, and somehow heard that Brother Gulzar had been sneaking around in some secret passages, supposedly watching the other monks. If that was the case. . .perhaps Brother Gulzar had known the killer. Or was it killers. . . . bah, best to think of what I know.

Rhys looks up from his work, and knows what he must do. Follow Gulzar's lead.

(OOC: I accuse Brother Caire/ Gryphon)

EDIT: Forgot the last bracket

Edited by Akallabeth

Good Bennet wandered through the hallways of the abbey, wanting to talk to someone, but finding almost no one around to actually speak with. It seemed like most of the monks of the abbey had gone to God over the last few days. Bennet hoped they were happy with God, but it made things awful lonely. He missed Father Thibault, who'd helped him make his vellum. He missed Felipe, who'd apparently not been sending people to God, but was resting now. He missed Father Gulzar, who'd always been nice to him and had never yelled at him when he forgot to not walk on the lawn. Father Gulzar had been a little funny, too. Every once in a while, he had started to say something to Bennet, but then stopped. Probably something about the lawn. Maybe about the lawn game that he'd put in before he left. Bennet liked the lawn game. He could never remember exactly what it was called, so he just called it the lawn game, but since it was the only game that was played on the lawn, the name made sense.

Bennet was on his way to the lawn, when he wondered what happened to the soup he'd left God. He couldn't remember exactly where he'd left it, but he was pretty sure he could find it. After about a half hour of searching, though, he hadn't turned it up. Bennet wondered what had happened to it. After a few minutes of thinking, the answer became obvious: God had picked it up!

So, apparently God liked onion soup. Maybe Bennet should get him another bowl of it. After all, no one else seemed to be worried about getting God food and someone needed to take care of it. So Bennet would do it. He snuck into the kitchen and found a pot of soup simmering on one of the stoves. He sniffed it. Barley. Barley and something else. Bennet wasn't sure. But it smelled good, so he figured God would like it. Quickly, before someone could spot him, he filled a bowl with soup (spilling only a little on the floor) and hurried out of the kitchens.

Now he just had to figure out how to get this to God. He could always set it down where God would find it again, but he couldn't remember where he'd put it before and God might not know if he put it in a different place. So what could he do...

He could give it to the next person who was going to God!

But how to know who would be going to God next?

Just then, one of the visiting monks passed Bennet, obviously on his way to somewhere. Maybe he was going to God. Bennet caught up to him, stuck the bowl of soup into his hands and said, "Gi' dis to God." Then, he duty done, Bennet started off toward the garden to play a little of the lawn game, leaving a very confused Brother Igottafiln in his wake.

OOC: I accuse Eyremon: Brother Igottafiln

The whispers about Brother Caire continue as a constant reminder of his sin. Guilt at speaking out against Brother Gulzar without evidence to support his words weigh heavily on his mind. Doubly so since Brother Gulzar had been asked to leave the abbey.

When a few casual words exchanged with Brother Rhys receive a muttered reply and a black look of suspicion sorrow settles onto Brother Caire like a blanket.

"Brother, I see your black looks and feel the touch of your ill regard against me. But I assure you it is unfounded. I felt as badly as any other in this Abbey about Brother Gulzar's departure, more so in fact than a few because I fear it was my words that caused his sudden departure."

A shadow seems to drift over Brother Caire's face and when he continues the sadness in his voice was unmistakable.

"I only wish that I'd had a chance to converse with him further, for did we but know it I could have helped him. I too, with my Brother Dominicans, am charged to seek out the devil and herecy and protect our brothers against it at all times."

Brother Caire's voice seems to gain in a strength born of faith as he continues.

"Despite your ill regard I will continue to do whatever I can to stop the darkness in this Abbey... Strange though, that Brother Igottafiln didn't step forward at any stage. He is after all a monk of the Inquisition... Perhaps his silence is evidence of something... darker."

~~~

OOC: I accuse Brother Igottafiln - Eyremon.

Bernard Gui leaves the Pilgrim's House with a scowling, giving quick orders to the guards that are part of his legation. The Abbot follows him in a hurried pace, whispering, "Brother, please..."

"He has been relapse. He has been absent. His reports stopped a while ago." He turns to the Abbot in a stern voice. "This Abbey harbors something dark, something of the Devil. There have been deaths and you haven't told me about them."

The Abbot lowers his head. "Murder isn't within the scope of the Inquisition, Brother... "

"Unless it comes as a result of heresy. I have the authority, Father. And I won't let the negotiations to be conducted in a place where the Devil lurks. My first duty is to investigate. Where is Brother Igottafiln?"

One of the novices comes at a sign from the Abbot, and leads Bernard Gui to Brother Igottafiln's cell.

Later, a bowed monk kneels in front of the Abbot, who gives him the Absolution.

"There was no guilt on you, Brother... not in the root. But your acts ask for penance. However, Bernard Gui is your superior in the Inquisition, and you must obey him. Go in peace, Brother."

Bernard Gui observes as Brother Igottafiln leaves the Abbey, escorted by three guards to be taken into the presence of the Superior of his Order.

~~~~~~

OOC: Brother Igottafiln/Eyremon was an innocent monk. It's Night Phase. Wolves/Baner, send me your targets within 24 hours. Choose wisely!

Eyremon, you're free to post your trip :)

Edit: Sorry, for a moment got confused abot the deadline...

Edited by Tanuchan

Brother Mathieu watches as Brother Igotafilm leaves. The air is thickier than ever, as him and the remaining monks are looks at each others with distrust. Only five of them remains and nobody knows for sure if there's only one killer... or more. Brother Mathieu makes a last tour in the gardens, then he heads back in his quarters, praying for everyone's safety.