The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Linking

Equester

Equester shuffles respectfully into the forum, hat held between hands and voice little more than a mumble.

"So um...how do I link to another post in the same topic? I'm trying to do a description of one of my characters and I need to do that thing where clicking on the physical description and whatnot takes you to the right place in the topic."

Hi :)

You need to find out the post number of the post you're trying to link to. The easiest way it to pass the mouse over the "quote" button - the last number that appear in the status bar (at the bottom of your page) is the post number (check for this post - the number is 97260). Or, simply click the "quote" button and locate the last group of numbers that appear in the url box.

Hitting the "quote" button for this post brings this... (the post number is in red)

www.patrickdurham.net/themightypen/index.php?act=Post&CODE=06&f=2&t=13040&p=97260

Then, you add that number to the end of the link to the thread preceded by #entry. So, the code (without the spaces) is

[ url= copy/paste the thread link #entryYYYY ] text you want [ / url]

If you want all links to open in the same new window (instead of a separate window for each link), use the code [ staticurl= xxxxxxx ]text[ /staticurl] (without the spaces)

To see an example, quote this post; the text is opened (at the bottom of the page, "Original Post to Quote") and you can see the codes.

Hope to have helped! :)

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

See, the problem is that you're too smart and motivated.

Lazy people are involved in all progress. They are highly motivated to find an easier way so they can take more breaks.

Someone with motivation and intelligence can think of the hard way and make it work.

Source code? boggles

Hugs Yui-chan. :)

*looks somewhat confused*

um, I just us the "http://" button under the Font list in the 'Reply' set up features...

or press (alt+ h) insert hyperlink...

The script takes over from there, just answer the questions.

I find the link I want by clicking on the "Posted" hyperlink next to the date in at the top of the post.

A script will pop up with the link after you click it.

Prolly not as exact as Tanauchan method, but it works. :)

rev...

:unsure:

Well... I use Firefox 1.0 ... and there's the Hyperlink at "Posted:" at the header of the posts, where it gives the date/time posted. I also use the Blue skin.

I tested in IE 6.0 ... the hyperlink is there (blue skin). However, if you aren't logged in, there's no hyperlink. (At least not in the default skin).

Hmm... can this be something that happens in individual cases? I know that there's something funny at the PM function... some people seem not to have the carbon copy box, and some do. I remember Katz talking about that in a thread somewhere.

Wondering,

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

I'm using the blue script and IE 6

Note: the "posted" hyperlink does not appear when you are in the "reply" page. It only appears for me, when reading the main post.

I found it at random one day, when my mouse pointer paused over it, and it told me, "show link to post"

Posted is bold and underlined.

hope that clarifies,

rev...

Wow. I am just full of stupid moments, this week. I would have sworn that I checked the blue skin quite thoroughly, but you're absolutely right. I get the 'Posted' link in the blue skin when I look at it today.

Hmph. I may look into how to add that to the other two skins some time when I'm bored, but in the mean time, excuse me while I sit in the corner and drool on myself. :P

Thanks,

~Yui

Equester staggers into the room, burdened heavily by fireworks of all sizes and descriptions. Behind him followers his djinni, Stropha, who was carrying an immense chocolate cake that he had only just been restrained from eating.

Thanks for your help people, now prepare to learn the long dark history of my evil character...just as soon as he has one :rolleyes: