The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Auction: Silvered Sapphire Tear

Katzaniel

Instructions

The item:

The Silvered Sapphire Tear was given its name due to the spidery silver frame that supports the tear-shaped sapphire. The silver lattice is in itself an unvaluable piece of art, as its tiny strands are woven into a delicate lacework that gives just the right setting for the pure jewel that rests at its center. An equally delicate chain emerges from the silver lattice, so that the jewel can be worn around the neck.

The blue jewel sparkles in the presence of any kind of light, even the weakest of them, seeming to drink it and send it back magnified. The bluish light it thus reflects is, however, of a strangely soft quality, and penetrates even the darkest places. The darker it is, the brighter it seems, and the bigger the halo of light around it.

The detailed story of the jewel is lost in legends, but it is known that it was the result of the love between two half-sisters. The oldest, fairest of their family, skilled in metal magic. The youngest, darker of skin and hair, skilled in elemental magic. Their fathers had been of different races, both of them skilled mages. Their mother was an elf, with the wisdom of the ages in her eyes and the love of nature in her smile. The sisters loved each other dearly, and no one would be seen far from the other from the day the youngest was born. Many thought they were twins, in spite of their different heritage.

Theirs was a warrior clan, and inevitably war came. As the day neared when they would join their assigned warriors as their mage-priestesses, the sisters worked to create two jewels that would keep their hearts near. The Silvered Sapphire Tear was woven with water magic and its framing silver lattice created with metal magic. The Amethyst Snowflake was woven with metal magic and its myriad of tiny amethysts immersed in earth magic.

The fate of the Amethyst Snowflake is unknown, but the Silvered Sapphire Tear survived and was treasured by the children and the children of the children of the sisters. The soft blue glow of the reflected light soothes the heart and gives the spirit a strength and perseverance like that of water working against stone. And the silver latticework shines with a light of its own that mingles with the jewel's in the presence of the Spirits of Darkness, revealing their presence to the wearer's mind and strengthening heart and mind to face them.

Do I have 10?

"... so I have 10 from the wolf in the back row. Did I hear another bid? Any other bidd..."

Venefyxatu raises his hand, his soft voice barely surpassing that of Katzaniel.

"15"

"...ers 15 from the frail mage! I have 15 ladies and gentlemen! 15 gold for this wonderful silvered sapphire tear! Who bids more? ..."

Katzaniel's voice drones on in a way that would make a professional auctioneer jealous.

A latecomer arrives at the auction.

Bursting through the ebony doors, the green sorcerer hails the auctioneer:

"Sir! What is the asking price for this treasure?"

The auctioneer stands silent, and a wolf to the side growls out 'sixty'.

As relief spreads over the sorcerer's face, he says,

"Make that 65 dollars,"

as he collapses into one of the nearby chairs.

The auctioneer and the others at the auction glare at him with varying degrees of annoyance.

"The only currency accepted here is geld," states the auctioneer. "Is there something else you would like to say?"

"Ummm . . . yeah," says the sorcerer in green. "Uhhhhh goodbye!!!!"

The sorcerer dashes out of the room as quickly as he came, causing sighs of relief from those still inside.

"Shall we resume then?" the auctioneer asks. "Any more bids?"

Edited by Akallabeth

The black wolf looks at the Green mage leaving as suddenly as he arrived, and goes after him without paying attention to Katzaniel's startled look.

Once out of the Conservatory, the wolf quicly locates the newcomer's scent, following him quietly until he stops in the middle of the Tavern, looking somewhat lost. Silently, she pads to him and coughs softly to call his attention.

Unfortunately, that cough sounds more like a growl, and the mage steps back startled and raises hands with a ready defensive spell. Realizing her mistake, Tanny immediately shimmers back to her human form, with an apologetic face.

"Sorry, I forgot that you're new here... nice to meet you, my name's Tanny."

"A... shapechanger?"

"Yeah... tell me, you seem a little bit lost... maybe I can help you? It's always a pleasure to show our Keep to new visitors"

She smiles, leading the Green mage through the many sections of The Pen.

~~~~

OOC: Sorry for interrupting the flow of the Auction ;) Just to remind the people, the last valid bid was 60 geld, from Nuncio :flower:

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

Rydia snaps open a tiny, shiny green sparkly purse, lifts it up to her eye and looks in the margins, and sighs, "This would be the one place where you have to use earned geld. . .Now to find whoever translocated me out of the shinymaze! Minta! Come on, we're going. . .Minta?!". . .

"Can anyone top one-ten do I have one-twenty can't anyone offer one-twenty for the beautiful Silvered Sapphire Tear? Going once, this wonderful item for a mere hundred-ten geld, going twice, this Tear that is such an awesome buy, can't anyone top one-ten? Gone! To the lovely woman over there, for one hundred ten geld. Congratulations." Katzaniel slaps the counter-top to punctuate her speech and gestures for Zariah to come forward and settle for the item with her assistant. Pushing another item onto the counter, she starts up again...

Blushing, Zariah attends to the front and receives the jewel. She wraps it in a purple velvet cloth that she produced from her pocket. Feeling like her day was truly made, Zariah makes her way back to her seat to see who was chosen for the other items as the winners.

Edited by Zariah