The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WWXIV: The Valley of the Kings.

"Yes, Rahotep. Failed. Members of the royal entourage are missing and probably dead. That is a failure in those who are here to protect us. However, as I said, I do not place the blame for this upon your shoulders as you have served faithfully for more than two millenia. Let me convey that the Pharoh has complete faith and trust in you. He commends you for your faithfulness. Yet, it seems inconcievable that this tragedy has taken place without help from within the guards. You are commanded by the Pharoh himself to search amongst your ranks and find who is the traitor. Also, you and I must discuss what "reason" may lie behind this attack on our "unlife." I myself see no pattern in the attacks, although pattern there must be. Perhaps it will become clearer with time, time of which we may not have much remaining after all these years....

Have you found any clues here in the chamber of Moses?"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moses sat in his chamber, and for the first time since his inclusion in this collection, heard strange voices out side of it.

A gentle rapping, a more violent tapping, then an intrusive pounding.

He took his place in the crypt.

And suddenly fresh air filled his champer, a light not of their making invaded it.

He heard voices, his name mentioned several times, even Israel, an arguement.

Then an agreement between the voices.

His stuff was being moved out!

We was to be taken away.

Was this a punishment for his accusation of Napheen?

But, no, he never really accused Napheen, did he?

Yes, he did, but he didn't mean it.

But things are just too serious to be 'just kidding'.

Aiee - the interlopers were laying hands on him. Lifting his body from it's sanctuary.

He had the will and the means, but was forbidden from slaying all in the room for this outrage.

Moses allowed himself to be carried away, up through the corridors, to have the sun shine on his face for the first time in millenia.

A shout of panic in those foreign voices. He was not being treated in the way he should have been.

But they were more afraid of further corruption of his body than the way they should treat one of his station.

Heathens. Foreigners. Oh to rise up, show them what he could do with sword, spear, and shield.

Instead he was put upon some sort of transport, then transferred to another different sort, then another still. The details did not mean much to Moses.

Finally, to rest in a funereal chamber.

At least he assumed so, since the occupants had the same air of care and consideration for the dead.

A great device was brought forth and he caught the term 'x-rays' were used on him.

Were they attempting to revive him?

Moses did not know, but, days later, the poking, prodding, work on his body got to him. He was annoyed.

In the room was a single worker, a woman, obviously low in the hierarchy being her alone and late at night, looking at some abstract drawings through a very bright light.

The lights were dim, otherwise, and there was a long mirrored surface in the room, occupying most of the wall.

Moses smiled inwardly, and, at an appropriate moment, rose part way from the table, then made a sound so the woman would look towards the mirrored surface.

Moses was rewarded by a blood curdling scream, but was laying down in the position he had always held by the time the woman was able to face him directly, not reflected.

People came running, other lowly priests, maybe a guard.

Moses' inward smile would keep him occupied for a long time.

And they said he had no sense of humour.

Rahotep keeps his gaze on Khe while listening to his empassioned plea.

"Khe, indeed you did speak hastily, and without thought. Not at all fitting for guards such as ourselves, and certainly not during times of such dangerous stress. You say you wish it were you rather than Napheen? Very well. I accuse you not, but lay this charge upon you should you be taken. Go where Napheen, Moses and Hemahibe have been taken, protect them there as best you can.

I fear that should you go I'll be joining you all too soon. In the mean time find those who have been taken from us and defend them with the honour due a true member of the guard."

OOC: It's not an accusation as such but my vote is for Khe/Knight. He's on a mission now. Kind of.

Nehrathi's sigh reminds the call of the desert wind more than evern, as she stares at the nothingness that is the corridor that leads to the crypts. She contemplates again the long-lived memories of Napheen, their adventures as little girls, her giggling talk as adolescents, and then after they took on their duties with the Queen...

"Napheen... my dearest friend... you were so happy when Esaneh proposed to me... and I couldn't give you a chance at the same happy experience because the Pharaoh's untimely death brought us here. Then, when after all these milennia it seemed Rahotep was finally making up his mind... "

There's a soft touch in her shoulder, and she turns to find Rahotep's eyes on her. She hugs him, more silent than she has ever been around those milennia-old friends.

"Rahotep, Rahotep... where is Napheen... is she well?"

"Osiris will protect her innocent soul, Nehrathi," whispers Rahotep. "Look, Esaneh is looking for you...."

She looks at where Esaneh sits, by Imhotep and apparently taking some notes for him. She shakes her head lightly, "Eveyrone has changed after Hemahibe disappeared.... my dearest Esaneh is having a troubled time, and I'm not helping, am I?"

"No, you aren't... why don't you go to him?" He kisses her on the top of her head, and she finally gives a weak smile.

"I will, Rahotep. Thank you." Hugging him tight, she leaves to talk to both her fiancé and the Cleric.

Esaneh smiles at her, finishing the line he's writing on the papyrus. Nehrathi curtseys to Imhotep.

"You are a Cleric, and a powerful one, Imhotep... can't you ask for protection against the evil that's among us? Or at least to a sign that our friends haven't been harmed... it would help putting our sould at rest..."

She feels Esaneh's comforting touch, and only then really notices how tense she has been. Forcing herself to relax, she sits by him.

Khaires looked longingly into the clay jug. All that was left from his burial wares was a rich crimson dust... very scant. He listened to the sounds above. Of how there WERE guardians, and they had awoken. Khaires waited, and waited for some time until the conversation moved.

"So who watches the guards while the Pharoh waits?" Khaires thought "I can only hope I am right in guessing it is I."

He looked again to the red dust withen his brittle pitcher.

When the tomb's guardians came back a red dust marked the floor. Nothing but a name in red dust...

KHE

Maesha looks at Khe straight in his eyes.

- Khe, you know what you have to do now.

Key was palid and protested but Rahotep and Khaires forced him over his crypt. Khe grudginly opened it and everyone gasps; plans of the whole complex were laying on one of his wall, with the names of the already departed scratched. Nerathi seeks refuge in Esaneh while everyone gives Khe an accusing gaze. Imhotep steps forward and looks at him furiously.

- Why?

- Indeed Khe, adds Rahotep, why did you betray the our code of honor?

Khe looks over the crowd...

- I have my reasons... but it wont end with me.

Khe suddenly started to run and managed to flee from the complex, running in the desert. While Rahotep wanted to follow, Maesha stopped him.

- Don't. When the sun will be up, he'll fall under slumber and he'll be captured by the robbers.

Imhotep nods in agreement.

- Maesha is correct. But the fact that he have an accomplice is worrysome...

(OOC: Congrats! Knight/Khe is one of the Werewolves! Dayphase begins. I'll need the PMs from both the Seer and remaning Werewolf.)

Pamiu sits stunned silence. Kha actually WAS guilty, and yet he ahd defended him yesterday, convicting not only an innocent, but their true protector, instead. He is consumed so by his feelings of guilt that he does not even make his customary report to the Pharoh before returning to his own chamber and locking the door. his sleep is even more troubled than usual that "night"... :huh:

Betrayed. By one of the guard no less. Who then had the tenacity to plead innocence and ignorance of what was happening.

At least he was... 'kind' enough to tell us that he wasn't working alone.

Rahotep hurries to catch Pamiu before they both depart for their tomb's.

"You were correct in stating that a guard was one of those behind these attacks. I apologise for doubting that you were correct. Perhaps we can meet on the morrow and discuss how we can flush out the other guilty party."

Khaires listened from the second antechamber. It was true, the guardians couldn't be trusted...

But what would the real guardians do if they found him? Khaires kept to the darkness. He began to plan his next actions in the labyrnthes.

"If I listen nearest the second treasure room, then..."

Daylight.

"I apologise for doubting that you were correct. Perhaps we can meet on the morrow and discuss how we can flush out the other guilty party."

"Apologies are not necessary, Rahotep. You must trust your men and do your best to show your support for them. I hope there are no hard feelings over what I said. We shall meet on the morrow and discuss the situation and how best to protect the rest of us, especially the Pharoh. Good day to you."

Nehrathi's hand rests lightly on Rahotep's as he thinks about Khe.

'Rahotep, don't you dare to feel guilty over the actions of one of the guards... who knows what temptation he faced, and fell for them? I'm just so sad that he took Napheen with him... I so much wish we were together again..."

"Don't say that!" Esaneh holds her arms fiercely. "Don't wish to be with her... if the gods grant your wish, you may be taken from me..." he whispers, almost panicky.

Nehrathi holds her fiancé, nodding, then turns to Rahotep. "Good day, dear friend.... " Kissing his cheek, she hugs him before leaving.

Walking with his remaining friends back towards the tombs for the day Rahotep stops and announces, "My friends, before we all retire I suggest we stop by the traitor's tomb and see that map showing our hiding places destroyed."

"It is unsafe knowledge and should not be left where it can fall into the hands of our enemies, those from within or from without. Let those who will come with me and we shall see it gone before this night ends. It may not help us if a copy exists, but it will stop anyone from outside finding and exploiting information that we don't want them to have."

~~~

Rahotep takes a route that will pass the traitor's tomb and stops in long enough to remove what evidence he can of the group's existance.

OOC: Anyone who can come up with a way of destroying this feel free to speak up. In character I want it done in such a way that we can all be certain it is not going to fall into the wrong hands.

The servents were from a family called Camera.

They never rested, always looking at specific spots.

Couldn't be bribed, ordered, and it would be suspicious if they got broken constantly.

It took Moses some time to find the right charm to over come their observations.

All day locked up, people gawking at him, it was insulting.

Night wasn't so bad, though. Using his abilities to release himself from his display case.

Wandering the halls of the museum.

Avoiding the guards.

Talking to the other exhibits.

He was much better off than that Amun-rai fellow.

His wrappings were staked up-right, an example of textiles, not in repose as a proper mummy should. He couldn't get loose.

So, Moses spent a lot of time with him, passing the time.

He also found out about other cultures.

Who would have known there was another continent across the great ocean?

With pyramids and mummies, too?

No where near the quality of Egypts', but still.

He had already been warned to definately _not_ be sent to California. One of the Aztec mummies had been permanently destroyed by a girl in sunny little town.

'Ah, there goes the female guard. She naps in the upholstery display. Time to get going.'

The next night, Khe's crypt was as neatly emptied as the others, however, another one who happens to be next to it is also empty. That crypt belonged to Nerebe, another of the dancers. When Maesha walks by it she immediatly alert everyone.

The gathered mummies were saddened by this new finding and now, everyone looks suspiciously at each other.

(OOC: Time to find out the culprit! You have 48 to 72 hours for this.)

I suspect that Esaneh is to be found with Nehrathi as he always is. Likely she will know where he can be found if he is not. We shall summon them.

Imhotep is a much different story. I assumed he was off communing with the gods and maybe studying the scrolls of protection that Napheen left in his care, but perhaps his absence is more sinister than that.

I hope it's not true, for I fear we may bring forth the wrath of the gods and destroy Nehrathi and Esaneh's hopes of ever being married... but could it be possible that he who should be caring for our spiritual wellbeing is more interested in seeing us all stolen away while we sleep?

I do not want to violate the sanctity of anyones tomb, but perhaps we should seek out Imhotep's location together.

Rahotep finds Nehrathi alone, staring at the corridor that leads to what has been Napheen's tomb. Together, they go back to where Pamiu waits with scant patience.

"Nehrathi, can you tell him what you've just told me?"

She nods weakly, her hand looking for Rahotep's and squeezing it tight.

"I don't know where Esaneh is. He has not looked for me this sundown, as he has always had for the last two milennia... he has started to fail to meet me some days ago, before Humahibe's death. I always meet him later, we are always together during the evening... but there are times I cannot find him anywhere."

She hangs her head, any brightness gone maybe permanently from her voice and eyes. "I love Esaneh. He was my life, and he has been my unlife for all this time. We want to marry... but Imhotep has also been avoiding us. At first I thought it was because we have been annoying him for the last half millenium. Then, I thought he had private reasons not to listen to us anymore. Last night I started thinking if he avoids us because we are a step away from angering the gods."

Rahotep holds her close, kissing her head. "Now, little one... where is Esaneh?"

"I told you. I don't know. I've looked for him everywhere. He left me long before sunrise yesterday, and I haven't seen or heard from him since."

Sighing, she rests her head against Rahotep's chest. Her voice is muffled when she talks again, "Rahotep, there's also another friend missing... where's Benny? He has also been avoiding us lately... I'm getting so afraid...."

Edited by Tanuchan

Rahotep's face goes stony as Nehrathi reminds him of Benny Sandpounder's recent absence.

"Should it turn out that one of the Pharoh's personal bodyguards is a trator to us things are more serious than I thought. Not only are we in danger but the pharoh is also."

"Still I find it hard to believe that two guards could have been involved in this conspiracy and have me not know about it."

"No my dear friend, I fear that most of the evidence seems to point towards either Imhotep or Esaneh as the other culprit of our troubles. I shall pray to Ra that it does not turn out to be Esaneh. I know the love you feel for him and I fear that has he turned traitor, that might destroy you also. Imhotep on the other hand. Not only has he been avoiding us, but he now also has full access to the protective scrolls that Napheen had in her tomb. I fear we may have given our only hope of protection to our enemy."

~~~

OOC: Have I left anyone off our suspect list? I dont really think it can have happened three games in a row, but I accuse Cryptomancer / Imhotep.

Nehrathi looks at Rahotep, and just shakes her head silently. If tears had been possible, she would have been crying.

Or maybe not, as the deep pain she feels was numbing every other feeling in her.

~~~~

OOC: No IC reason, really... but I'm accusing Esaneh/Merelas

*If* Cryp turns to be out the wolf, I swear I won't ever trust him again... :P

Rahotep looks in amazement at Nehrathi.

"You... you suspect that Esaneh might be the one behind this?"

He watches Nehrathi nod and the pain inside him echos that of her.

"I had hoped it was not so, but I cannot be less than a true friend. I will support you in your ... accusation ... of Esaneh. May the gods have mercy on his soul, and ours.

~~~

OOC: I'm changing my vote to Esaneh / Merelas. Partly because it's the in character thing to do, partly because I too have trouble believing that it's Cryptomancer again and partly because I'm feeling fickle today.

Maesha looks around, trying too look for Esaneh. She then questionningly looking at Nehrathi.

- Where is Esaneh? He's nowhere to be found and it does worried me.

Nefertina, one of the remaining four dancers, hastily runs over the group.

- Esaneh is in his crypt! He left the door open!

Nehrathi follows the dancer over Esaneh's tomb and sees him seated on a chair, leaning forward and his face buried in his hands. When Nehrathi started to walk over him he signs her to stop.

- Forgive me, Nehrathi! Forgive me because I do not deserve your love.

Nehrathi is shocked: she realized what he is meaning. She was only able to let go one single word.

- Why?

Esaneh looked over her and notices that the rest of the group followed her.

- I've heard of these searchers and I wanted to divert their attention away from us. If they gathered enough mummies, they would have left and we could resume our peaceful afterlife. But I'm afraid that it wont turn out that way.

Maesha nods.

- Unfortunatly, you have opened a forbidden door and now, no one will be able to close it. They will search this place until every single tomb is found.

Rahothep looks at Imhotep.

- Can we do anything about this?

Imhotep shakes his head sadly.

- I'm not sure I'll have enough time to study the scrolls. So, either they continue to find us one ny one, even thought now, it'll be harder without Esaneh's help. Or... we decide that we all leave this place and go over where the others are.

(OOC: Congrats! You've found the second wolf in Esaneh/Merelas. Now, it's up to you players to draw up the outline of the epilogue.)