The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Bad news for poets..

Rune

Please do not read this article unless you have a sense of humor. The article is rather silly in comparison and I'm not posting it to hurt anyone nor to stir up trouble. I just thought it was kind of a silly way to waste money on a study.. not to mention it's a classic sign of sterotyping in the works. Especially since the study included such a small group of poets and writers researched to make the claim.

They made these claims based on approx 2000 famous writers out of the millions that exist. Makes me wonder if CNN is hurting for news articles.

Poets die younger than writers, study finds

Edit: Forgot how to make a link, lol.

Edited by Rune

Low? Meh, when you hear about a research grant blown on something so trivial, how can you not write an article on it? Either to bitch about the wasted money or to quote the statistics at parties, people will read and digest these little nuggets of joy as long as news outlets provide them.

Suddenly, I feel proud of my inability to structure a poem

I never knew I had life insurance until I got a booklet and a letter informing me of my smoker status and how I had to fill out a non-smoker declaration form to get a cheaper rate. Imagine that. Apply for insurance and get told, "Well, we automatically assume you're a poet, so we're charging you more unless you can write us a short story on this topic that satisfies these criteria."

The only problem is this study didn't compare them to the age of the average joe blow in the streets who couldn't structure a sentence, let alone a piece of literature. It'd be nice to know I'm going to live longer than the people whom I pay for insurance

Might have something to do with the fact that (speaking from my observations) poets tend to be drug abusers more often than writers -- if for no reason other than the fact that writers are expected to form coherent sentences.

Also tend to be less angsty.

*Hides behind Gyrfalcon's auditors*

It could be because poets are tortured and prone to self-destruction, or it could be that poets become famous young, so their early deaths are noticed

lol

I don't think i am either tortured nor prone to self-destruction..so perhaps I don't qualify as a poet hahahaha

To quote a song:

Well I might be a little bit loco

But it keeps me from losing my mind.

It's been said that I'm insane,

But baby a little bit of crazy's all right.

My motto.

Thats a good song. ~_^ Heard it this morning on the way in.