The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Hmm..A tribute...

You see, on my IEP, for Talented Art, there is a bit of a thing I have yet to accomplish....

It's been there since I was taken into the program...

In Sixth Grade.

I'm a senior. I have four weeks left of school, and only three classes of Talented Art left.

(upon hearing this..I don't think my brother was ever more proud of me...)

You see, I have to do a famous artist type of thing.

Anything, really.

I could, parsay, draw one of their paintings, or paint one of their drawings, or (heaven forbid) write an essay on them, (pbfffft! HA! Like I'd ever do that..). Anything, really.

So I'm asking you.

Any ideas for what I should do?

I've decided i'm going to draw something of someone's.

What artist, and what drawing/painting/sculpture shall I draw?

What medium(s) would you like to see it in? (ie: pencil, ink, pencil color...any of those...)

Thanks for your help..

(I would've searched for something on Google..but..meh....)

*laughs*

now THERE is a true tribute to procrastination!

What do i think you should do, or what would i *like* to see you do?

for the former, i've not the faintest idea..

for the latter, i'd absolutely LOVE to see you do the Norman Rockwell style self-portrait.. This one.. heh..

three self portraits, demonstrating knowledge of styles from different masters.

Van Gogh,

Norman Rockwell,

DaVinci (I've read where some consider his Mona Lisa to be a gender-bender self-portrait. Somewhat of an "in-joke".)

Oils on canvas for all three.

You could take a famous painting and write an essay on the artist... which, when printed out, arranged in a certain pattern and studied from a distance, bares a striking resemblance to the painting itself.

That'd be cool

That is a VERY cool idea...

If only I didn't hate essays with a passion...

One idea I got (from my brother) was to redo The Last Supper, but with Jesus and the disciples..Jesus Barbequeing, and teh disciples around him, and stuff...

Or, that painting that's nothing more than a black dot on a white canvas....

But, I'm limiting what I'm doing this in to pencil, ink, and pencil color..

(I have..1 blank canves, [lots of oil and acrylic paints, though...], but about 33 ink pens...)

And wheni finish, I will scan it, and put the link, for all to see.

Whatever I decide to do...

Perhaps it'd be neat to try transposing media?

Why don't you pick a statue (or something else 3D) that you particularly like and turn it into a drawing? Try, for example, sketching Rhodin's 'Thinker' from above and to the right or perhaps Michelangelo's or Donatello's 'David' statues from some other non-standard point of view. That would make for both a challenge and an interesting juxtaposition, I think. :)

Regardless of what you do, I can't wait to see it. Best of luck!

~Yui

Three Works To Select:

Sculpture of "She Who Used to Be the Beautiful Heaulmiêre." by Rodin

".... Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is . . . and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be . . . and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart . . .

no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing

old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does

to them. Look at her!" (Quote from "Strange in a Straneg Land")

The Night Watch by Rembrandt Van Rijn

There's a Tale that Rembrandt sold his soul to the devil in order to have the ability to paint the inner beauty that manifest in human nature. So Rembrandt paints and painted one glorious painting after another, each face he paint radinates with innocent and pureness like cherobriums even in the most ordinary dealings of life.

When Rembrandt died the devil came to claim his soul but the angels cried out to God and said "Mercy Lord, had not Rembrandt not redeemed himself by the works of his hands? Look at his arts!" So God gather Rembrandt his soul and lifted up to heaven while the demons cursed... (no so correctly quoted from one of Anne Rice's vampire chronicle books)

I'll recommend some Chinese Water Ink painting go to with it too... But you'll have to research for that... lates

Ok..

after much long, difficult debating (and much arguing with myself...I have some very good points, but I have oher good counterpoints for those points...),i have decided upon what I shall be doing, and I do thank you all (who knows, I may do more than just what I decided on) for your suggestions.

A do, after all this discussion between myself, I've decided that I shall do..

The Last Barbeque....

The thought of Jesus wearing a "Thou Shalt Kiss The Cook" Apron won me over...

And, when I finish, I shallscan it, and put it for you all to see (and then, consequesntly, any others I decide upon (I like that triple self-portrait one..).

Thank you, friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems very... indoors... for a barbeque. Or am I just confused?

Quite well drawn, though the perspective seems a bit odd. Narrows a bit much, I think, at the opposite end of the hall.

But then, I'm not really a visual artist, so I couldn't say. I just sing and write. :D

Heh.

Well, I'm using the same location as the original, so as to be..uh...similar to the original.

Hmmm..the perspective...

Well, I can't say too much on that, aside from that it might be caused by the angle of the camera when I took the picture, but you may well have a point.....

But..Too far done to go back and ix that now...Already used up a couple of 8x10 pages adn that 11x14 page...

Ohhh, I thought you meant the angle of the camera when taking the picture of the hall, and then I was wondering why you had a real hall when you were trying to copy the hall in the painting, and... yeah.

How come you've done the background all up and there's no table or people? Are you drawing them in a different picture, or did you just draw the hall completely in order to make sure you had that right, and you'll erase parts as needed?

I'm not sure what the original is like, but:

* The first three ceiling bars on the far left seem bigger than the ones to their right.

* The openings on the left are definitely taller than the openings on the right.

Overall it looks very good and I am very impressed. Love to see it as it progresses.

Hmmm

Thanks for pointing out the bar thing, Katz.

But the openings, yes, they are in fact taller on the left than the right. I noticed that when I printed out a copy of the original. It gave me a laugh, too, when I saw that.

And thanks, Katz.

As for the people, I had a different idea on that.

I'm drawing the people on seperate pieces of paper, then cutting them out and, probly with glue, I suppose, attaching them after that.

I'm doing this because, well, my erasings show up horribly on that kind of paper...

And the people are being colored and such.

Yeah. Thanks fo r the comments! And pointing out problems, I'll go to fix them in a bit.

That sounds like a good way to do it. The table may be hard to do, what with needing the same perspective, but by cutting out the people you can move them around easily with respect to each other and the table. If it were my piece, I'd hesitate to glue it, but I don't see what else you can do. It will be neat to have pictures of each step, though. Funny about the openings, though I certainly wondered if it was in the original that way.

Anyway, looking good!

Looking very good.

I have always wondered at those who have a talent for drawing. It amazes me to no end that people can pick up a pencil or pen or brush and make something look like something else on a piece of paper.

Because I can't... at all :( Oh well. Well done!

Hhe, Thanks Merelas, and Katz.

Yeah, I am a bit apprehensive about gluing them down, so...eh...I'll figure something out.

ANd the table deal..I think I'm going to leave the table out of this, but there will be chairs and stuff.

I'm thinking of (If I can figure out which one's Peter) having Peter turning down some food or something.

Heh, a brush. I'm nto exactly too thrilled at my painting ability..Needs work...a lot.

And hey, don't worry, Merelas. I mean, if everyone could draw, I'd be out of a business, and so would many others. It's good taht not everyone can draw, or write, or sing, or play an instrument.

*Is glad that he can do three of those things.*

Thanks, and I'm going to work on the others (I've alerady finished Jesus and the BBQ pit) tonight..while my scupture gets baked (art show tomorrow..I have to bake and paint my sculpture [it's a bass player {I'll try to get a picture of that, too}] and all that tonight...-_-;)

(Btw, Merelas, I very much like your signature picture. That's a great song!)

Edited by Xaious, Master of Time

Ok. I'm going to scan it all when I finish, But I have finished with Jesus, the BBQ pit, and one of the diciples. And I also fixed the problem with the ceiling beams on the side.

And, to go with the "Thou Shalt Kiss the Cook" apron, I have also included some of "God's Own brand" Wine, and another kind (which I have forgotten the name of...).

Progress continues tomorrow in Home Ec......(eh....)

Xaious, you are great. I can't wait to see the final product, and I'm sure that this new progression will be awesome. I'd also like to see the sculpture if you get that scanned.

And yes, we all have different talents. I've been struggling to get to somewhere I'm comfortable with on my knife-making, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing that <_<:rolleyes:

Go Xaious!

..Wow...Thanks Mer! I've never been told that before! *hugs* I mostly just hear "I hate you because you can draw"...-_-;

If the Talented Art teacher is there tonight, as we're having an 'Evening of the Arts' (All of the gifted/talented programs students are, basicly, showing off their talents, and it's very fun), and if he remembers to bring his camera, I'll take some pictures of it, as the sculpture's now finished.

And, once more, I'm in a classroom that I can't draw in (lack of room, what with this lousy computer in front of me.....)

You make knives?

Awesome! (I also, occasionally, design some..if you want any designs?)

OK then.

I have six disciples left to draw (coincidentally, they're the ones on the left of Jesus... :huh: )

And, since it happens to be almost 2 where I live, and I was just slammed by inspiration, here's something to tide you over until i finish.

God Machine (Inspired by Acid Bath's God Machine)

Posted Image