The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Mini Saga

Solivagus

This is gonna be kinda like that one word robin that's running in the other forum, except this has more words :). No more than 50 words in a post please. Thanks to Tanuchan and Katzaniel for advising me to do this :P .

Storm clouds rolled across the dark sky as the hooded figure made his way down the well-trod path. Lightning flashed, revealing a well built town in front of him. He sighed in relief when he saw it. He had been too long on the road without company.

Solivagus, are we to create other points of view (i.e. characters) or we can just go on with the story? Anyway, I'm picking what you wrote and going on with it. I can always edit if that's not what you had in mind :)

~~~~

The dark sillhouette seen in the lightning interrupts the guards. Shuddering, they remember the day full of omens. Weapons ready, questions are shouted. Upon hearing the answer, a pale guard sends for Laranta. He had arrived, as she had warned.

The hooded figure frowns. He should be unknown.

Edited by Tanuchan

The messenger arrives at Laranta's accomodations and knocks on the door. When no one answers after almost a minute, he knocks again, this time more forcefully. The door opens slightly under the bombardment, arounsing his curiousity. He enters to find Laranta lying in a pool of blood, a dagger sticking from her back.

Tan, what you and Gnarl have done seems great to me. I reckon the method of joining is really up to the person who writes. I'm warning people now though, change the story so much that Heinrich ends up wearing a pink ra ra skirt and there will be consequences...

I'll write another piece as soon as I've got some sleep :)

Heinrich frowned down at the body of Laranta. Who had she been? How had she predicted his arrival? And why had someone gone to the trouble of killing her? Running his rough hands along his chin he wondered how the townsmen felt about necromancy...

Necromancy. The town whispers the dreaded word. People look at the Keep, knowing Laranta's dead. That stranger... and Laranta's Sight revealing his coming. Foe or friend? She hadn't revealed.

Heinrich feels both curiosity and fear coming from the townsfolk. And hints of something darker. He must investigate.

~~~~~~

OOC A question... do contractions count as one word or two? :huh:

Edited by Tanuchan

Meanwhile, somewhere on the other side of town a dark presence stirs. One thing has gone right, but something else is about to go horribly wrong. This Heinrich must be stopped.

OOC: Microsoft Word counts contractions as one word. For ease of counting, I think we should go with that.

The candles Heinrich placed round the body of Laranta seemed to throb with his chanting. His deep voice rolled around the room, echoing in the night air. With practiced care he sent his voice across the barrier between this world an the next, summoning the spirit of the murdered lady.

OOC: Damn, how do you squeeze a proper occult ceremony into 50 words?! :P

Darkness stirs, echoing Heinrich's far chanting. Drawn by his power, something tries reaching across the barrier. And stops at wards spelling L-A-R-A-N-T-A in dark runes.

Evil stretches unseen, yearning for Heinrich's powerful soul. Trying also to stop Laranta's soul, sating his hunger in her deep, stronger-than-death fear.

~~~~~~~~

OOC

OOC: Damn, how do you squeeze a proper occult ceremony into 50 words?!

You did it really well, it was very descriptive in spite of the word limit! :)

Edit: wording, to make it clearer

Edited by Tanuchan

~ OOC: Mind if I bring in a new character at this point already? I'm not sure how often I can or want to participate yet, and she allows for long periods of silence from my part, that's why... plus that she's a ghost ;) Tell me if it's inappropriate. ~

Wild Joker, last of her clan, felt the tugging of the ceremony and went to investigate. Surely Laranta would not have been as foolish to use THAT as a safe guard? But no, the passing of the woman had been in acception. This was new…

Can I try? Just edit me out if not!

The head of the village council paced. This stranger was curious, and so was she. A black cloaked allowed her to slip to the inn. A closed door, smell of blood, and feeling of the occult leaked through. Paitence was a virtue, even to the highest. She could wait.

So, I`ll try then:)

As the shape became clearer, the look on Heinrich`s face became more and more terrified. He felt that he could not move himself any more. He just kept staring the shape in front of him as he realized that it was not Laranta. It was a giant cat.

Chanting tugs at her. Evil holds her. But finally the name written in runes of power draws Laranta to the pentagram.

The delicate probe soothes her fear, her cat shape changing back to a delicate woman's. "You are here."

Part of Heinrich's mind analyses the change... "Laranta, a shapechanger then."

Laranta was flickering, she desperately tried to change back into herself but the shape of the cat was too powerful. Heinrich wanted to do something but he did not know how to help Laranta. Did she need any assistance at all? Heinrich was confused. Suddenly he could hear Laranta`s silent fading voice: “Help me.....”

The Evil in the darkness laughs silently, exerting his power over Laranta's alternate form. "You cannot hold true shape without help, not while I drink your soul's fear."

Laranta struggles, reaching to strands of power coming from Heinrich. "Help me... you need me. I need you. The town needs you!"

Heinrich was standing, frozen, and could not move himself. He wanted to help Laranta but that cat.... He could not harm it. “Cats are not evil...It is not possible....” said Heinrich to himself. He remembered Kissa, his pet cat he had loved so much once.

“Help me...” reached Laranta`s cries to his brain.

A small part of Heinrich’s mind remembered when he had used the cat in his experiments. Hastily he pulled his thoughts back to the summoning, Searching for some way of giving the spirit his strength. His hands tightened around his Staff, and the black end began to pulse with power…

"Those stupid books" thought Heinrich, "those stupid books forced me to kill Kissa... Why did I do it?? This cat was my very best friend...right after Liina. Why didn`t I stay with her like we promised to each other...." Heinrich was shaking and he could not concentrate any more.

Within seconds his iron will had regained control of whatever foul force was twisting his memories. Nothing had forced him to kill Liina, he had done so for his first step to power. Savagely he lowered his Staff at the form before him, binding it heavily with dark power.

A woman floats in the pentagram, free for a moment. Hastily Laranta turns to Heinrich in her true form. "There's evil controling my cat-shape... the same who tries controlling your memories. Witch-hunter, find the evil. Free the city. I'll help if I can. If I have time."

Edited by Tanuchan

Heinrich listened to Laranta carefully but suddenly it seemed to him that it was not Laranta`s shape in front of him any more. It was Liina`s. Her sad eyes were looking right through him. Heinrich closed his eyes and when he opened them, Liina was gone but not the guilt inside him...

Laranta fights the Evil clawing at her soul. "Witch-hunter, beware mind tricks!" whispers near panic, sensing Heinrich's power waver. "Do not forget your true self!"

Evil hisses at her feeling the power steady. She smiles, small victory as it seems.

"I might help. Ask what you need to."

“What I need? You are asking me what I need.... I need...” Suddenly he saw Liina again – “Liina!”

“Heinrich, help me... I am not evil.... “ Heinrich was confused, an awful chaos was taking over his heart and soul.

“Remember our vows...” whispered Liina with fading voice.