None but he knew first tale as lie

Fire rain and the mountains heave

Burnt black birds fell from the trees

No more people the world laid bare

Old one smiled for his time was there.

From the dawn came a new rider

Strike both god down and world plunder

Old world spins on a new frontier

But dead earth lie where clouds make clear.

Edited by Valdar and Astralis

That was really neat. I like the way you wrote this! It seemed some time as if you were struggling to rhyme it without putting too many words in, but that's bound to happen in everything a person writes (at least I think so!). For the most part it was all real smooth, and especially in the first paragraph, I liked how you went back and forth between people!

This seems more like something written five hundred years ago, that old women recite to their grandkids. :)

Yah, ran into a couple of hiccoughs halfway and didn't bother to iron them out after try #5.

The style was from an englishized version of "Try to visit the old Hermit" (http://www.patrickdurham.net/themightypen/index.php?showtopic=9508), which is why it still reads slightly wierd to me. Thanks, though!

To me this reads much like a ballad structurally (one less syllable on every even line and you’d be pretty much there), and also in terms of content – although there is no dialogue and the resolution is less conclusive . However you have a good tragic story here with fairly strong narrative. And where you do depart from the ballad form you make generally beneficial adjustments.

Jareena hit the nail on the head here as far as I’m concerned since the Ballad was in use before the written word available, as a means for story telling used by bards and travellers and would have been passed down the generations. Cool, eh? Also still in use in folk music today. Check out “Mattie Groves” by Fairport Convention ;) classic.

In regards to the rhyme scheme, I recognise it as a minor variation of the Chant Royal theme. A good move as I think it fits the pattern rather well. And while I can spot the occasional struggle on the whole I can’t see that it causes much of a problem with flow and the word choice is quite appropriate and intelligent :D

Seeing your latest reply I notice it is based on another piece, but I’m afraid I don’t have the time to check that out at the moment to draw comparisons there : (

• 6 months later...

Edited, for publishing in uni magazine. It reads more fluidly to me now though block 3 and 4 seem a little repetative:

Reign of the Godslayer-1.2

Old man sits on a hill yonder

Young man strides on the plain under

Sky god cried then, behold thunder

Young man fell to the earth sundered

Widow cried to the old mother

Mother cried to the earth father

Father smote down the old sky king

Smashed from heaven amidst lightning

Sky king rose from the shattered land

Full of wrath did he clench his hand

Back and forth did they throw their anger

Neither cared that the world broke under

King and father battled locked in rage

Over this world for many an age

Now old man watched the young world die

None but he knew, first tale as lie

Fire rain and the mountains heave

Burnt black birds falling from the trees

People died and the mountains bared

Old one smiled for his time was there.

From the dawn came a new rider

Strike both god down and world plunder

Old world spins on the new frontier

But dead earth where the clouds make clear.

Edited by Valdar and Astralis

Full of wrath did he he clench his hand

Minor adjustment for double "he"

I am so glad you redone this work and posted it again because I missed it first time round what with not being active enough on these boards. I thoroughly enjoyed this poem which brought back tales of Odin, Thor and most Norse mythology to mind. As my eyes danced across the words I was picturing the scene. I really enjoy poems that can provoke the imagination of the person reading.

Bravo! What a read!

:wolf: