The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Random Question

Random

Hrm, well, in general I figure forgiveness is a useful thing, because if no one ever forgave anyone for any little thing, there'd be a lot of angry and vengeful people out there. Not that there aren't, but that's because people need to be more forgiving! ;p That, and people shouldn't be so rude to begin with...

...but, in some cases there are times when it's not worth it to forgive someone. For example, (from my experience) if you have a room mate who's a jerk, and likes to talk crap about you behind your back, etc. etc., it's just not worth it to forgive him, and just work on forgetting him ^.^

:tree:

Forgiveness is fine if there is repentence on the other side, and an understanding that forgiveness doesn't remove consequences.

Someone can repent sincerely of jumping off a cliff with my teddy bear.

I can forgive them for jumping off the cliff with my teddy bear.

Unless there is some amazingly merciful intercession, they're still gonna hit the consequences of their choices.

But that's a horrible thing to do to a poor, unassuming teddy bear... :(

Crud. Now I'm going to be depressed all day thinking about that teddy bear falling hundreds of feet and hitting the ground at Mach 3.

Oh well. I forgive you. ;)

And to answer the question... What he (Peredhil) said. *Mischievous Grin*

Forgiveness is not something you do for someone else. It is what you do for you to keep from being eaten alive by anger and hate. Keeping that inside will cause you more harm than anything that anyone can do to you.

That does not mean you will ever forget the wrongs that were done. It is however far easier to forgive someone else than it is to forgive yourself. Knowing you have caused someone near and dear great pain is the worst feeling in the world.

You may can sew the stuffing back into a teddy bear-can you ever replace the tears which fall?

the one forgiveness that matters to me is the one in true friendships... where you forgive and are forgiven beforehand.

It is being close enough to someone to know motives and feelings without having to have them explained, therefore without having to forgive them... there is nothing forgive or to be forgiven for.

Any other forgiveness is purely selfish... not less important for the functioning of social behaviour(-patterns)... just more of a background noise to me...

*giggles* You guys are nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so too show how much I 'preciate ya I leave you all happy valentine thingys.

:D

THESE ARE ENTRIES TO A WASHINGTON POST COMPETITION

ASKING FOR A RHYME WITH THE MOST ROMANTIC FIRST LINE

BUT THE LEAST ROMANTIC SECOND LINE:

Love may be beautiful, love may be bliss

But I only slept with you, because I was pissed.

I thought that I could love no other

Until, that is, I met your brother.

Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.

But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead,

the sugar bowl's empty and so is your head.

Of loving beauty you float with grace

If only you could hide your face.

Kind, intelligent, loving and hot

This describes everything you are not.

I want to feel your sweet embrace

But don't take that paper bag off of your face.

I love your smile, your face, and your eyes

Damn, I'm good at telling lies!

My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife:

Marrying you screwed up my life.

I see your face when I am dreaming.

That's why I always wake up screaming.

My love, you take my breath away.

What have you stepped in to smell this way?

My feelings for you no words can tell

Except for maybe "Go To Hell".

Forgiveness, I liked two of the responses I have read so far and think that it is both those things and more.

Forgiveness is not something you do for someone else. It is what you do for you to keep from being eaten alive by anger and hate.

Forgiveness is when you allowed yourself to move on after a dispute, a misunderstanding or a conflict.

Someone injures another and then shows remorse they will ask and often receive forgiveness.

Forgiveness is fine if there is repentence on the other side, and an understanding that forgiveness doesn't remove consequences.

There is a burden in carrying a grudge on both parties. The truth is even with forgiveness the burden remains, it's just lightened a little and not forgotten.

If there is an understanding between both parties that forgiveness is not always absolution but more often a resolution of the conflict then it can often be more freely given.

I have been and continue to be eaten alive with my own pettiness. It is a weakness I freely admit owning. Somethings for me can not be forgiven but they can and often do come to a resolution.