The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Irony

Savage Dragon

I was cleaning my room the other day when I stumbled along my old English Journal from year 2001. Well who doesn’t love reading there own stuff, so I flipped it open and I was amazed that the second journal entry was dated 9/11/01. More ironic was the question that I had answered before learning about the attacks that happened that day.

What do you think of when you hear the "American Dream"?

My answer--- I think of being free because that's what I’ve always been in America. I have been able to pursue goals, believe in God, and say whatever I want. In America it doesn’t matter who I am just what I can do.

Now how about that. I'd love to hear what some other people have to say, including your own answer to the question.

:dragon4:

Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

Well, I hate to admit it, I think, but I actually can't stand my old writings..Old being anything that I've written already.

The American Dream.

I see the American Way as being loud, obnoxious, and highly ignorant.

Gee, and I live here too.

As my foreign exchange friend from Japan said, in not the same words,

"America is stupid."

I agree.

B)

I'm allowed to use it as an excuse. I'm Australian. Bagging out yanks is a national passtime down here. We're lobbying for it to become an olympic sport, and in doing so we'd win gold medal first time around, just for making it an olympic sport.

Then we're gonna have to actually try when we're pitted against the canadian team.

To call america stupid is messing with Texas

And you don't mess with Texas

I can't stand Texas! It's too BIG.

All wide open and flat, and deserty. I hate Texas!

Went through it on a trip to Colorado once...

A 27 hour ride, about 8 hours in Texas?

TOO big.

And yeah, the 'American Dream' is boring, dull, pointless.

B)

lmao

too big?

I've driven 14 hours north and only made it about two thirds up BC. Whee.

Anyway, American Dream?

To annex everybody else, obviously. =P

Seriously, being Canadian, my view probably doesn't count as much as the Americans in here, but to me the American Dream has always been about the same as most religious/cult ideals - "We are better than everybody else, therefore we have the right to do whatever we want to those people to enforce that superiority. But God help them if one of those dogs we're kicking bites back." Or maybe that's the American attitude? I dunno. I'm happy to say that I've found a group of incredible, abnormal Americans here. =D

I think that the phrase is only used sarcastically these days...well, some use it seriously, but I don't think that most people do. Thus, t hose who answer will usually give you non-patriotic answers. Anyway, I associate about the same things with it as lump does--suburbia.

Sigh, will the America bashing never cease? Well I for one still love America and her dream, even at 15. I thought the young ones were the ones who were supposed to be rebellious?? So far this post has been a real disappointment.

Maybe I should be making fun of other counties, is that what you all want?

I mean like Australia is all so high and mighty, the best-known Australian of the entire world spends all his time in the mud with crocodiles.

The English royalty is just begging to be pointed and laughed at.

And don’t even get me started with Canada; there just aren’t enough words.

Besides I thought America was supposed to be made up of other countries, we have the highest immigration rate, we have Australians, and Irish, and English, and Indian, and Mexicans, and more Canadians than I want to mention.

It’s like making fun of the polish only to discover you’re a quarter polish. So lay off already, you all have your own problems too

:dragon4: