The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Older Pen Members

To go along with what's already been said, and perhaps to contradict some of it, and revise what *I* said earlier, I think the most important thing to remember is that this is *your* life, so you should enjoy it as much as you can. After all, as far as we/I/you/someone knows, you only get one. (Without bunging into semantics here... no need for debate or anything...) It's a good thing to be charitable, and it's a great thing to be kind to as many people as you can, and there are people who may have to take precedence over you (family) but again, it's your life, and you should always worry about yourself first. It may sound selfish, but honestly, since you're the one living your life, you should be enjoying it. Do what's best for you. Sometimes this involves hurt feelings, but you know what? Wounds heal. It may take longer for some people than others, but that's the way it is. I know, there's always exceptions to the rule, but I think that's the most important thing you can do. Look out for you. Keep in mind that when I say this, I don't mean you should just say f* you, world! I just mean, on the list of important people, you should place yourself at number 1. That is, until you start a family, if you choose to do so some day. But I'm sure you know what I'm getting at here.

I'm really not older than you, so this advice may be unwelcome.

I have been truly gifted with a wise family, especially my grandfather, and he gives me advice all the time, so I'll share just one piece of that with you now:

Always learn. Hunger for knowledge, because it truly is power. In every situation, every second of every day, there is something that can be learned from the moment. Do it. Take it. Use it. Learn it.

And then, once you do, share it with others. But only people who care about you-- the rest be damned ;)

He said the last part, he's a funny guy. I hope that helps.