me, find me,

pick me up and

hold me for a

moment,

then dry my tears.

So gentle, for such

powerful

hands.

This is really interesting. The fear seems to get stronger and stronger as the poem reaches to a climax when the hands find you and pick you up...and then they aren't scary hands after all.

I think that the reason I find this so strong is that you take what would have to be a single moment--the moment of being reached out to by hands and then add in a whole thought process to make it real. It's all so powerful, but yet so quick

Thanks for sharing this one

This *is* neat.

Taking the thought process based on years of experience, and then showing how it is able to suddenly do a 180 degree turn. That takes a strong person. So many would've fought the hands on the assumption they'd be just like all the others.

When a person has been betrayed and wounded all their life, it's a miracle if they learn to trust. People who haven't been there tend to underestimate the bravery that takes.

You really captured that well - well done!

-P

Maybe you'll think this weird Ayshela but suddenly as I read through the body of this poem it occurred to me that this is exactly the perspective of an animal that has been mistreated. They cringe at extended hands. From the time I was small I have had a love affair with animals. Often I would keep me hands behind me and crouch down to be less of an imposing figure. To these poor unfortunates hands hurt and frightened them. Extending a hand to pet them would make them cringe shake and assume submissive postures to ward off aggression. How strange it is that humans are the only animals that don't stop their aggression when submissive posturing occurs. They continue to hurt even when no resistance is offered. It does make a poignant story even though I have probably coloured it differently than most.

Actually, Regel, you're spot-on. =)

Gwaihir - thank you. Yes, that was exactly what was intended, to take the moment in time and make sense of the conficting reactions.

Peredhil - thank you, as well. That kind of a complete reversal is moment-to-moment and incident to incident, because sometimes those old defenses ARE still necessary.. but stifling them to realize that this time, this moment, it's okay.. defense isn't necessary.. is one of the hardest, and one of the most frightening, things to do.