The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Contest

Gwaihir

Well, I was going to post every entry here, but there were complications and some got shy and didn't want to be posted, etcera etcera, so I think I'll just post the answers of the one best entry here. The summaries are not included, because the author requested that they not be.

PROMPTS

1. X A poem about the dangers of extinction

2. X A piece about the little people and the big people

3. X A story about being trapped

4. X A poem about the lowering of a zipper

5. X A poem spoken by a miner

6. X A piece about inner beauty and the way it clashes with human greed

7. X A piece about the nearly lost

8. X A poem about being a shadow

9. X An un-commented on piece which includes a growing blooming light

10. X A metaphor between urban pollution and inner confusion

11. X An interesting halted story about elves

ANSWERS

1. “No Title” by Mira

2. “Adam’s Angel” by Ayshela

3. “Kinda like a Twilight Zone episode” by Kasmandre

4. “New Boots” by Salinye

5. “preliminary and untitled” by Cyril Darkcloud

6. “Crystal Grove” by Psimon

7. “Nearly Lost” by Rahsash Geldich

8. “Who’s that Girl” by Elvida

9. “Trader” by Psimon

10. “Morality” by Salinye

11. “…been…so…long” by Valdar and Astralis

And so congratulations to....

Merelas!

You deeply deserve it. It's very clear how much effort you put into this and you did a good job. I feel proud to award you Chrissiania's Jewel. (For a description of it, read Annael's Quill Quest post

Merelas steps forward, surprised, but beaming.

"Thank you so much, Gwaihir... I just wanted to say that while the prize is precious, I've earned something much more valuable in the process of the contest. The Writer's Workshop is full of excellent threads, which are not only very well written, but display the editing/revising process very well. I have learned a few things, and changed my revisions process a bit since then, and I know I'll be visiting the workshop much more often now. I would encourage many others to do the same. I'm also going to be posting the sumarries/critique that I gave to the various threads in my contest entry."

Gwaihir had been graciously smiling and nodding throughout the very long and arduous speech which had been made by Merelas, and was grateful when he finally finished.

"Merelas," Gwaihir said, "If you would kneel..."

"Oh! Yes, of course," the fire-elf said, and did so.

"As is your right by winning the contest, I award to you Chrissiania's Jewel. May you use it well."

And at that, the Deputy Loremaster placed the silver chain over his neck, and the crystal with the swirl of red through it came to rest on his chest.

Half fire-elf, We urge you to take heed

Of what awaits the sin of greed.

We shall help as is required--

We shall lend fuel to your fires.

For you know our history, and what's come before--

We warn against ignoring this ancient lore.

As we fell from ignorance and waste,

Such a fate could come for you to taste.

So listen well to our request--

We want, for you, only the best.

You are worthy to bear us now,

But do not make us regret our vow.

With a start, Merelas returned to the present, having recieved the warnings of Kushel and Chrissiana... somehow, he knew their names, and the events that had taken place for the jewel to be created.

Suddenly becoming aware that he was still on his knees, the half fire-elf stood, and bowed once more to Gwaihir, as well as the assembly, who were all looking at him with strange eyes, now. Quickly, he said "Thank you," once more, and left the room, wandering off to the Writer's Workshop in order to post the critique on the pieces he had chosen for the contest.

Cheers and congratulates Merelas

Wonderful!

Sorry your Contest didn't get more entries Gwai', but I think you frightened most of them away. The Writer's Workshop is an guilty area - so many feel as if they *should* post something to help, but just don't know what. I think you did succeed in giving the WW a bit more visibility though.