The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

I am here to educate you

lumpenproletariat

about New Zealand history.

I figure this is something noone here bar me would know about, and it is a rather interesting subject. As I am supposed to be doing an assignment about it, I will leave a major update for right now, but give a veryveryvery general overview.

British explorer captain James Cook "discovered" New Zealand after dutch(?) explorer Abel Tasman found it roughly 100 years before and titled it New Zealand. (Zealand = holland location? will check.) The Ensuing attempted colonisation by the British empire was fraught with losses. the Maori (natives) put up one hell of a fight, inventing stuff like trench warfare, and passive resistance. British eventually win out by sheer numbers, and arguments about land ownership still going back and forth today.

Theres its very simply, like I said.

Monday I will begin a sort of simple timeline to ease your minds in :P, in the mean time, be happily expectant ;)

ps. and if anyone does know something about NZ history, speak up :)

I do not know much about New Zealand history, but I DO know Dutch History ^_^

Abel Tasman was indeed from the Netherlands and Zeeland is a Dutch province (his homebase I believe, but not sure)

I'm looking forward to more, always was interested in History with a capitol H ^_^

The poms didn't win for numbers. They managed to talk the maoris into signing a treaty which they never had any intention of honouring. That's why there are land disputes to this day. The maoris want the shiny beads they were promised

:rolleyes:

The New Zealand Wars commenced after the signing of that treaty (Treaty of Waitangi), which is when the Maoris were quite often beating the British. Only when more Imperial Troops were brought in, did the English start to turn the tide.

Where are you getting your information from?

After the treaty was signed, the maoris stopped the widescale butchery of paka. And, with the exception of the occasional hangied missionary, left the english alone. Except to buy booze from him.

The english, unable to defeat them in war, decided assimilation was the go and encouraged white men to take maori brides. This almost worked, too. Only very recently have the few fullbloods left decided to keep all marriages between fullbloods, in an effort to save their race and thumb their noses at mother england

Where are you getting your information from?

After the treaty was signed, the maoris stopped the widescale butchery of paka. And, with the exception of the occasional hangied missionary, left the english alone. Except to buy booze from him.

The english, unable to defeat them in war, decided assimilation was the go and encouraged white men to take maori brides. This almost worked, too. Only very recently have the few fullbloods left decided to keep all marriages between fullbloods, in an effort to save their race and thumb their noses at mother england

paka -> pakeha?

*THE* new zealand wars occured after the signing of the treaty of Waitangi in 1840.

I'll get round ot the actual beginning later, but suffice to say, 90% of the physical conflict between britain as an imperial army and various maori tribes occured between 1846 and 1872.