The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

My Application

Here is my first attempt to become a member. Reading the other applications here I'm not sure mine is up to standard, but you don't learn anything until you try! :)

Facing Reality

James looked into her eyes. They were longing for him, begging him to touch her. How could he do this now, she was completely reliant on him for every little thing. Hell, she couldn’t even wear an outfit without asking him which he preferred.

“James? Is something wrong?”

“No Anna, I’m fine. I’m just a little tired tonight, it was a hard day at work, I think maybe I should go home.” James rose off the side of the bed and turned to grab his coat.

“Wait!” Anna cried, “Don’t leave just yet, lie with me for a while, please?”

He turned to face her once more, there were tears in her eyes, tears! Anyone would think he had already told her he had decided to leave her for good, but no, this was just another normal night in their relationship. It’s intensity choking him slowly but surely.

He remembered back to when they had first met. Her a young painter and him a journalist. Their driving forces in life were so different, he was motivated by money and the need for a story, she cared for nothing other than life. She had taught him to live, really live. To see colours in the black and white of life, to question fact, to bring a story off the page and make it dance in front of your eyes as if you were part of it. Now she had become dependent on him for everything, how did things change so drastically?

James returned to the bed and laid himself gently next to her. The softness of her overwhelmed him. He drank in her beauty until he felt dizzy and gently rested his head on her breasts.

“I’ll stay.” He whispered. “How could I ever leave you, you know you are my everything, don’t you?”

“I know.” Anna spoke softly as her fingers ran through his hair “and you’ll always be mine, won’t you James? You’ll never leave me.”

“Never.” He curled into the curves of her body and enveloped her in his arms, drifting off into a sleep so peaceful and precious, he knew he wasn't leaving, he didn’t want to, ever.

“James? James!! Are you in there?” Matt was banging on the door now, demanding an answer, nothing.

He slowly opened the door and stepped into the room. It was dim and musty. The curtains were closed and he could tell no new air had entered here in some time.

He saw James on the bed. Surrounding him were hundreds of photographs, all of Anna. He was still fully clothed, his arms nursing a pillow and his legs pulled into the feotal position. The bottle of vodka was on the floor beside him, almost empty but for a few drops in the bottom.

“Oh James,” sighed Matt, “not again.”

Matt picked up one of the photographs lying close to him and examined it. Anna was wearing a blue summer dress and one of those silly big straw hats. Her one arm was raised holding it in place as the ocean breeze fought her for it and her mouth was open wide, laughing loudly in silence. She was beautiful, he could see why James had worshipped her so much.

“James, come on, we are going to be late for work. We have to go.”

“But Anna….” James mumbled as he tried to lift himself from the bed.

“She’s dead James, she’s never coming back. You have to deal with it, you can’t keep doing this, it’s not healthy. Maybe we can call someone.” Matt moved towards the bed to help James up.

“Maybe.” Sighed James. “Maybe tomorrow.”

That was WELL written. Hands Melba, the Almost Secretary of the Pen, a hanky. She's crying so hard her kohl has made Alice Cooper streaks down her chubby cheeks and is dripping on her orange and green sarong.

HONK

Peredhil gravely accepts back the dripping hanky and extends another, patting her hennaed hair gently.

That was a nice twist ending, not what I expected.

Wyvern quickly rushes into the Office, balancing a large pile of tissue boxes marked with extraordinarily high price tags in his scaly arms and winking towards the large crowd of weeping individuals in the room. Setting the boxes onto his overflowing office desktop, the overgrown lizard watches in dismay as the numerous tissues sink into the seemingly bottomless ocean of paperwork located there, resting only a few seconds above ground before becoming completely submerged. Cursing to himself and grumbling that he should have brought tissue lifejackets (the opposite of paper weights), the greedy Elder swiftly approaches Peredhil and nudges the Ancient Polite Bard a few times, wondering if he might be able to prostitute his comforting hugs to gain a few bucks. Receiving a polite shake of a head as a response, the lizard nods in understanding, having anticipated this sort of reply but wanting to give the offer a shot never the less...

Abandoning his thoughts of making profits off of people's tears, Wyvern quickly resorts to the next best thing... Grabbing a hidden camera from the left pocket of his tunic, the lizard quickly proceeds to take numerous photos of Melba crying in the hopes of adding them to his "Pictures of Melba in Anguish" scrapbook. The reptilian Elder rapidly sets up an entire professional photo shoot booth around Melba before taking several snapshots of her distress from all angles, unfortunatly forgetting to remove the lens cap of the camera as he does so... not that it would really matter if he had removed it, since Melba had discovered his ploy and had stifled her tears in response...

After wasting an entire roll of film, Wyvern considers using another when suddenly, Wrenwind lightly pokes him on the shoulder and directs his attention to Sorciere, who was still patiently waiting for a response to her application. Nodding to this, the lizard quickly wanders over to his desk and rummages through the paperwork until he finds Sorciere's application, briefly bowing to the patient applicant before attentively reading over her story.

After having finished this, Wyv turns to Sorciere with sad tears in his eyes and sobs to himself a bit before hissing:

"Excellently written, Sorciere... *sniff* ...such a sad tale..."

Smallscale Mind Games raises a brow at the Elder of Initiates and mutters:

"Strange Wyv... I haven't known you to be one who cries over other peoples misfortunes..."

Wyvern stamps Sorciere's application ACCEPTED before turning towards Smallscale Mind Games with a trembling scaly lip and exclaiming:

"Who's sobbing about other people's problems?! *sob* I'm crying since a girl that was capable of bringing stories to life and rendering people colorblind passed away before I was aware! Think of all the schemes I could have executed! Heck, I could have even brought great fictional schemers from stories to life to help me!"

The entire crowd turns to Wyvern and sighs once again at his egoistic story misinterpretations before abandonning the lizard to his paperwork...

;-)

OOC: On a more serious note... That was an excellent application story, Sorciere, and is certainly ACCEPTED. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :) My apologies for the lengthy wait in responding... Be sure to either post your e-mail address in this thread or mail me at elitwack90@hotmail.com so that I can send you some additional Pen info. Once again, welcome!

Sorciere smiles widely at Wyvern and thanks him courteously for her acceptance to the pen. She hands him what seems to be a folded tissue and bids her farewells as she heads out of the door.

Wyvern inspects the tissue closely and all seems perfectly normal, until he holds it to his eyes to test it's dabbing ability and discovers upon removal that he actually has tears running down his face. The tissue is a fake tear tissue! Wyvern runs around the room excitedly, marvelling at all the new ways he can use this ability and looks for Sorciere to see if he can market these wonderful things, but alas, she has left the room.

OOC: On a more serious note, thankyou very much for accepting me! My email is tiel1_inthecage@yahoo.com

:woot:

Edited by Sorciere

Wyvern hisses in wonder at the new artifact, briefly examining it with a magnifying lens to see how much the fabric of the tissue might be worth. Tucking the Fake Tear Tissue safely into his inventory, the overgrown lizard thanks Sorciere wherever she may be and swiftly exits from the room...