The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Decision

I watched the young couple intently from across the street. Just your average pair, fair genetic match, compatible personalities, but I could see the relationship ending in the future over something minor. She was absolutely devoted to him, but I could see his eyes wandering. Observing these mortals was a wonderful pastime. They lead simple lives, but do their best to complicate things as much as they can. One of the many quirks He gave them that puzzled me and other immortals greatly. But after six thousand years, they still surprised me at every turn. Well, today I hoped to gain a little further insight into their inner workings. And this couple would help me out nicely. Fate, it seems, has plans for them

The deuce played by fate happened to be one of your average random maniacs who had somehow gotten a hold of a firearm. As firearms go, it was nothing to write home about. An antique revolver. In quite good condition, possibly from the care it's owner had taken before it had been stolen by this unhinged individual. The five rounds in the weapon were also antiques, but would prove to be in equally good condition. He was almost there. The pressure from his life of constant abuse was peaking. Soon, he would snap. Soon, the five rounds would be on their way. I got to my feet and hastily crossed the street.

The report of the pistol was heard by all. An initial click as the hammer fell over an empty chamber, then 5 loud barks. The first four didn't concern me one iota. They wouldn't concern anyone at all. Well, anyone who didn't own one of the shopfront windows they would shatter. Or the driver of the car who would lose his rear tyre. But bullet number 5 had the young couple's name on it. Time for the test. Time.... one of the simplest forces to manipulate. I watched as the bullet slowly made it's way towards the couple, decelerating steadily and eventually stopping in midair. The two were in midturn towards the source of the noise. Neither had any idea what was to eventuate.

The area was frozen. Well, truth be told, the physical universe was frozen. But only the physical universe that obeyed the laws of time. Which is only a select few regions. I walked over to the couple. Just as I'd thought. The trajectory of the bullet went right through the young woman's abdomen, missing the young man barely. It was time to put him to the test. I unfroze him

"What the he-" he began before I covered his mouth.

"Silence, Mortal. Listen to me." I began. I didn't feel the need to explain anything more than I had to. "See that bullet over there? If I hadn't stepped in, your lovely partner here would've been hit in the guts. Now you must decide, but decide quickly, whether or not you're willing to step in and take the shot, not knowing where the bullet will hit precisely or whether she'll survive. It's up to you."

He took this in, looked at me, then the bullet, then his girl, then the bullet again, then made up his mind. He stood firm, facing the suspended slug, clenching his teeth and his abs, preparing to take the shot. I froze him in this position, then returned to my seat to watch things unfold.

The bullet crashed into his stomach, tearing through his flesh and ending it's journey perilously close to his liver. He doubled over, clutching at his wound and fell backwards onto his woman. They hit the ground together, blood flowing freely from the wound, quickly soaking his shirt. He didn't see the gunman looking puzzled at his empty firearm before being tackled by a bystander, nor did he see several people rush to his side. His gaze was locked on his girl who was in a panicked fluster, still asking if he was all right. He lay his head back, smiled and let out a sigh. Then the pain set in.

An ambulance arrived shortly, the paramedics onboard stabilising him as best as they could before loading him into the back of the vehicle. Normally, there are only two officers in an ambulance, but this time a senior officer from another hospital who'd just happened to show up for a tour of their facilities had asked to ride with them. Well, what can I say? I have a thing for a white uniform with red cross armpatches. I sat silently, watching the girl sob over her fallen partner. He still hadn't noticed me, possibly due to the morphine flowing through his system. I sat silently, watching.

Before arriving at the casualty ward of wherever hospital, his girlfriend sat up, giving him an unobstructed view of me. His face flashed recognition, but he remained silent. My calm words filled his head.

"So, you chose the noble path. Would you have chosen otherwise if you'd known...."

In his mind, the event replayed. But from a different perspective. He was sitting across the street, watching himself. He saw, in slow motion, the bullet glide past him, narrowly missing his coat, then hitting his girlfriend's purse as she turned to see the source of the noise. He heard the loud chink and saw the now-deformed lead slug deflect off to the side. The last thing he saw was the contents of her heavy coinpouch spilling out the side of her purse. Bent shrapnel falling to the ground. A small price to pay for her survival, he thought.

The vision over, he looked back at me. For a long while, he was silent. Then he closed his eyes, laid his head back and shook his head, once. Then he passed out.

The experiment had left me with even more questions and queries. But then again, questioning His will was what got me ejected forcibly in the first place.

Oh yeah, by the way. Hi, I'm Lucifer, widely proclaimed Prince of Darkness