The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Psimon's Poetry

Wyvern

Psimon,

I recently read through a number of your poems in the hopes of helping you decide which to choose for the Poetry Contest you're thinking of entering, and must say that I find them excellent overall... Many interesting themes and topics are touched upon, and some vivid imagery is evoked throughout.

I notice that the structure you generally use for your poems is to divide them into several stanzas and follow a 'ABAC DEFE'-type rhyme scheme, which often works very well. The themes dealt with range from nostalgic reminiscences of relationships passed to tales of black dragons and evocative imagery.

An interesting trend I noticed is that, while your rhymes and rhythm are perfect when incorporated into your poems dealing with general imagery and stories, they can occasionally come off as a bit forced when trying to get specific themes across. Two good examples of poems of yours that have incredible rhymes and rhythm are "Tornado" and "Around the World," while poems such as "The Thin Wall" and "What?" are slightly less rhythmic, yet are backed by more powerfull themes and messages. Having said this, I really appreciate both types of poems, each for their positive qualities. :)

My favorite of the poems that I've read from you thus far, however, would have to be the freeform "Unititled #0010," which I found strikingly beautiful and which is one of the best freeform poems I've read in a while. I recommend everyone to check this one out...

My 5 favorites would probably be:

1) "Untitled #0010"

2) "Tornado" (I love the rhythm of this)

3) "Gone..."

4) "Desert Rose"

5) "Dark Clouds"

Once again, great stuff... I look forward to reading more of your works! :)

As an admirer of meter my favorites are in a slightly different order than wyv's, but interestingly we include many of the same poems. I didn't even see Wyv's list when I made mine, either.

[edit] I take it all back, Youthful is at the top of my list....and that other one that I read for the first time today. I can't find it now, but I posted a reply in it that said I love this or something like that[/edit]

Desert Rose

Tornado

What?

Dark Clouds