The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Movie Reviews

Wyvern

Watched "Lady in the Water" yesterday. I've seen most of Shyamalan's other movies and I've generally liked them, even "Signs" with its silly ending, so it seemed like a safe bet to rent this. I could've hardly been more wrong. It is one of the least enjoyable movies I've ever managed to watch fully - the characters are flat cardboard caricatures with a few artificial touches meant to convey depth and the plot reminds me of a inept, hangover GM in a tabletop RP game coming up with a new mythos one detached, meaningless piece at a time.

"Yeah, these guys, let's call them Qwerties, umm... if you throw them with green plastic bags these crows, ya know the Crows of Judgement, come down from the sky and eat them. Right?"

The way the arbitrary rules of this fantasy were laid out and explained felt also excessively glued-on. Add to all that a certain sickening sweetness, an absurd sense of hope, and I couldn't help but feel an average high school kid could write better screenplay. Don't get me even started with the few "profound" pieces of dialogue I had to suffer through.

I've never felt so detached during the crisis part of a movie before, and when the inevitable ending came I felt relief, not because how things ended up, but because the movie finally ended.

Two thumbs down from me.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinky Boots PG-13 :Fuzzy::Fuzzy::Fuzzy::Fuzzy:

The critics accused it of being a tame and formulaic chip off the Full Monty block, but I think they missed the subtleties that made this such a well constructed story.

The tale is based on the true story of an old fashioned shoe company going under in the wave a cheap imports. To save it, the owner decides to move into a niche market. His choice: Transvestite boots.

The film is excellently cast with Chjwetel Ejiofor playing the arresting "Lola" (aka Simon) with not only respect but beauty and heart.

Well paced and with a perfect mix of humour and thought, as well as music (always a plus for me) this movie is definitely going down as one of my favourites.

Though I do not believe the one is in any was connected to the other, Kinky Boots reminded me strongly of an older Anthony Hopkins movie called The Efficiency Expert in terms of theme. Whether or not you like Kinky Boots, I also recommend watching it as an interesting comparison and a good movie in its own right.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Purple Fuzzy Rating Scale

:zombie: = No redeeming features.

1 :Fuzzy: = Had potential. Ruined it.

2 :Fuzzy: = Average entertainment level. Mediocre.

3 :Fuzzy: = Worth renting. Solid movie.

4 :Fuzzy: = Faultless. An excellent watch.

5 :Fuzzy: = An all time great.

Edited by Canid

The Illusionist PG-13 :Fuzzy::Fuzzy::Fuzzy:

What's real and what isn't? You can have a lot of fun analyzing this movie, not only with arguments for and against what is really real, but with respect to the very interesting moral element that arises when you look at what crimes were really committed. If you were on a jury, how would you rule?

Edward Norton, as always personifies his character, and pitted against the other leads of Paul Giamatti & Rufus Sewell who do credit to their roles in different ways, the range of characters and methods is as varied as in real life. And the facts as uncertain.

Actors performed their own slight of hand, all the tricks were based on ones really done in that era and most were done - at least partly - how they originally would have been. Unfortunately this halfway effort at authenticity is one of the sticking points for me. If you are going to really do it, then really do it properly, and stay away from the CG.

Most movies based on literature are cut down. The Illusionist, as I understand it, was built up. The original was a short stories, and thus the filmmakers were able to embellish the tale rather than cut it. I would not call the pacing perfect. But I was certainly able to watch it twice through (initial viewing immediately followed by the commentary - worth watching by the way) without getting bored.

Prepare to be taken in.

The Departed - Rated R

Well, where can I start...how about, it is about darn time Martin Scorcese finally EARNED his oscar, and this film, tho not the pinnacle of his skills, was most certainly up there in the top 3 or 4. Keep in mind, Marty has directed about 200 films..:)

The story starts off in the Police Academy with the protagonist and hero/antagonist (go with me on this one). One goes the way of the fast rising, high ranking officer with the silver spoon in his mouth, but a bag of dirt for brains....(played quite brilliantly by Matt Damon) in the Massachutsetts State Troopers, and a "rogue Cop" who works undercover in the Special ops dept of MSP (again, brilliantly played, by Leo DeCaprio). The problem....suspected Corruption in the Unit and trying to deal with underworld characters (Irish Mob boss, played by Jack Nicholson...FANTASTICALLY). Costigan (Leo D) had family involved in "the neighborhood" from his childhood, good Irish families, one and all, until the Italians started trying to muscle in from down in Providence Rhode Island. As the story unfold, Costigan is the Brilliant, yet browbeat young officer who is asked to go into DEEP cover, becoming a convict, letting his name get spread around, getting into trouble around the neighborhood, trying to catch Costello's (Jack Nich) attention. Meanwhile, Sully (Damon) is playing SuperCop, when his brownnosing finally pays off and he gets to head up a Special Ops Crime Family task squad. The hitch to the whole story....Sully was raised in and around the Costello family, then went on to become a Cop. He spends MOST of the movie giving tips to Costello about upcoming raids, and such, giving him a chance to "get out of eyesight" just before the busts come down. Overall, the movie flips back and forth between the different types of lives these two Troopers live, or better yet, endure.

I must say, I was thoroughly entertained for 95% of the movie, the last half hour or so was mostly a LOT of bloodshed and whodunit-he said/she said type drama, but that only detracted a tiny fraction from the overall quality of the film. Other notables in the film include Martin Sheen as Capt. Queenan, who shelters and aids Costigan and Marky Wahlberg (yes, the old Marky Mark) as Dignam, the Staff Seargant working for Queenan. Alec Baldwin plays Ellerby, the trooper Capt that Sully reports to, supposedly. Ray Winstone is the #2 bad guy in the Costello clan, Mr. French. the other actors in the film were all quite refreshing in their given roles and overall, I would HIGHY recommend this film for ALL who enjoy true Crime Drama stories.

This film offers a real view of the way sometimes corruption can affect a large force. I can tell you this....the only one I KNOW is standing at the end of the film is....

Go see it, or rent it NOW.

this is CLASSIC Scorcese at his best.

Great movie reviews, everyone. :-)

Zadown - Ahhh yes, the once-promising M. Night Shyamalan... In my view, "The Sixth Sense" was very good with a great ending, "Unbreakable" was *tolerable* with a great ending, but "Signs" was where he really stepped over the line. I remember taking a hesistant friend of mine to see that in the theatres since I was confident that Shyamalan would at least deliver another twist ending, and we ended up laughing at the horrendousness of half the movie. Making aliens that look like your typical textbook alien is one thing, but giving them a weakness to water (wtf?) and using a camera shot from an alien's perspective of a glass of water tipping over to signal their demise (WTF???) is straight up rediculous! That camera shot cracked me up so much in the theatre that it maintains a special place in my mind when I think of the worst cinematography ever put to film. So yeah, I guess I'm not quite as lenient on the quality of "Signs" as you are... ;-)

I haven't seen a Shyamalan movie since, but I'm sure that "Lady in the Water" is every bit as horrible as you say it is... especially after reading that review of yours with its brilliant GM simile, haha! I'll definitely pass on the Qwerties, thanks.

Canid - I haven't seen "Kinky Boots," so no comment there... it does sound very interesting from your description of it, and given your glowing review I might have to give it a shot at some point. I did see "The Illusionist" and thought that it was a decent film, with a cool ending and some nice acting from Paul Giamatti and Ed Norton. Nothing too exciting in my book, but it was an entertaining movie that held my attention.

Geldrinhor - I agree that it's about time that Scorcese scored an Oscar for Best Director in all his years of directing, and think that "The Departed" was probably the best film out of the films that were nominated (though to be fair, I have yet to see "Pan's Labryinth" or "Queen"). Still, the film didn't exactly blow me out of the water... I found it entertaining, but sort of a typical approach for a mob film. If you were to shuffle "Departed" with four other mob movies, I doubt I'd be able to identify anything unique or "Scorcese-esque" about it. I agree with you that the premise for the movie is an excellent one, and that it had some good acting (Jack Nicholson was Jack Nicholson, and I thought DeCaprio put on a great performance as well), but the execution of the film left me with something to be desired.

By the way, just for the record, my favorite films of 2006 were "Inland Empire" and "Borat," though I have yet to see "Pan's Labryinth" and "Volver" and am looking forward to checking both of them out on DVD when I get a chance.

On a seperate note, I watched the film "Tsotsi" last night. It's an African movie that won the "Best Foreign Film" award in the '05 Oscars. At the risk of coming across as a snob, "Tsotsi" basically felt like a poor man's version of "City of God" to me. The movie deals with a thuggish African gangleader who accidentally kidnaps a baby in a carjacking, and has to decide whether or not he should take care of it. The first ten minutes of the film are promising, with a fantastic soundtrack and a depiction of crime with practically no dialogue. Unfortunately, the rest of the film swerved into more "Hollywood" territory and wasn't as engaging to me. Comparisons between this film and "City of God" are pretty much inevitable, and "City of God" trumps this movie in every regard. Still, it's a decent film with some pretty good acting.

I saw Pan's labyrinth last night. I had been expecting a good film from what I heard about it, but it even managed to surpass my expectations. Great acting, and I can't stress the word enough. The lead character, 12 year old Ofelia was probably played the best. The fantasy beasties are also very well done, and don't look at all out of place in the movie. The way the movie moves between the real world and the fantasy world is done seemlessly and flawlessly.

Be warned though, there is some pretty strong violence in the film. It is never gratuitous violence, it always fits, but still, it might trouble the faint of heart.

Most definitely a film I'd recommend watching.

Well, GeldrinHor and I don't go out to the movies much...unless it is something with Awesome special effects like all 3 Tolkein movies...and frankly I LOVED the first one, felt the Two Towers was a bit too dark and gloomy (tho so is that particular book) and LOVED the 3rd one. Just my take.

Frankly the last animated movie I watched was Shrek! I think, and I liked it. But I am easily bored by cartoons or Anime, frankly with Anime I am usually distracted by the Japanese art.

I Like all kinds of movies, but I really love Comedy and Horror, and of course Adventure.

For my money, the best Horror of all time is A) Poltergeist, B) Resident Evil, C) Resident Evil 2 D) Ghost Ship

Maybe I just like watching Mila Jovovich kill zombies in that little dress, grin, I don't know.

Comedy, frankly I really enjoy take-off movies like the Scary Movie series, Loaded Weapon, Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Dieux, Robin Hood-Men in Tights, the Princess Bride,etc. Also enjoyed Ghost Busters and Sister Act, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar.Oldies I like are "Life With Father", and musical comedies like "There's No Business like Show Business." Can't forget Men in Black..at least the 1rst one.

Action Movies: the Fifth Element, Lethal Weapon, Independance Day, Stagecoach (Ok it's an oldie),

Cutthroat Island, Pirates of the Carribean, The Hunt for Red October, Indiana Jones, Under Siege.

I would like to mention a few movies that I thought so totally sucked that I should warn you all not to rent them: Nacho Libre, Frankenhooker and Waterworld should all have a disclaimer that Blockbuster will pay YOU for renting them, grin.

Movies I have seen lately: My Super Ex-Girlfriend is pretty formulatic up until the end....but the end is SOOO good that I made GH turn it back so I could see it again!!

Posieden: Acting decent...when you have Kurt Russel and Richard Dreyfuss you can't fail to have good acting...but the script was nothing to write home about, and I wasn't really impressed all that much. In the original the special effects sucked but damn you had GREAT acting, you really cared about the charachters..all but a couple you were sort of hoping would die because they were so annoying!

Wedding Crashers: I really enjoyed this movie, especially since one of my ex-friends WAS the charachter that was that younger crazy nympho daughter of the Senator ? Anyway, really fun movie. The ending is soo good you have to watch it a couple of times.

The Departed: Really enjoyed it because I read murder mysteries all the time, and while I figured out most of it there were parts (& people that died) that I didn't figure out til they actually happened...this is really RARE for me (which bugs GH i think sometimes) so I really enjoyed it...though I wish more than 2 charachters had lived through the end of the movie.

Well, that's it for now, hope you don't mind my putting in my 2 cents!

Edited by LilacFlame

• 2 weeks later...

I recently watched "Half Nelson" and "Blood Diamond" on DVD, and also went out to see "Pan's Labryinth" in the theatre.

"Half Nelson" was not what I was expecting, but was a good film never the less. The movie is about a teacher who teaches at a school in an inner-city ghetto, and who happens to be doing a lot of drugs since his life is a mess. For some reason, I thought this film was going to be one of those "Miracle Teacher who Teaches Fabulously Under the Influence of Pot"-type comedies, but it turns out that it's a downer and is pretty much tragic front to back. The film does a good job of drawing you into the main character's addiction, which Ryan Gosling acts out very well, and also shows how teacher-student bonds are often closer than many assume. Go in prepared to watch something depressing, and you'll probably like it... It's well-executed and quite a good movie.

"Blood Diamond" followed the game plan of your typical Hollywood action movie/thriller, but somehow ended up being a step above the rest. Maybe it was the way that the plot of the film kept me guessing or maybe it was the performances from Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Housoun, and Jennifer Connoley, but something about this movie held my attention and kept me entertained until the end. There was some political and social commentary sprinkled throughout, but it was presented in a pretty conventional way and wasn't one of the movie's stronger points. I really liked DiCaprio's depiction of the diamond smuggler in search of what could the mother of all diamonds, and the eventual goal of retrieving the buried diamond kept the plot progression intriguing. It's a pretty fast-paced film with more than a few dramatic Hollywood elements at work, but I found it entertaining and stuck with it till the end. Worth renting.

"Pan's Labryinth" had a boatload of rave reviews behind it, both from professional film critics and pennites, so naturally my expectations for it were high. I have to say that, like Patrick, this film managed to exceed all of my expectations and really dazzled me the whole way through. Where to begin... For starters, this film was just plain gorgeous to look at the whole way through. Everything from the costume design, to the CGI effects, to the camerawork was amazing, and that alone was enough to elevate this work of art above other recent movies. It didn't end there though, as "Pan's Labryinth" also has an intriguing plot and story, wildly imaginative fantasy elements that work, strong characters, a good musical score, and an original premise that combines historical fiction with fantasy in a seamless manner. The film provided food for thought while at the same time presenting a very entertaining and original story to follow. As someone who was disenchanted by all of the "Lord of the Rings" movies (sorry LilacFlame), I can't tell you how refreshing it was to watch a fantasy film that really worked on all levels. There are no great fantasy films in my mind to judge it against, but I'd definitely say that it's one of the best incorporations of fantasy I've ever seen in a movie. My only word of warning would be that, as Patrick pointed out, the film did have several scenes of brutal violence, which were very powerful and really added to the film but which were not pleasant to behold by any means. If you can't stand a bit of squirm-in-your-seat gore, you might think twice about this one. Anyway, "Pan's Labryinth" is a fabulous film, and is without a doubt one of the best films of 2006, if not the best film of that year. It's definitely better than "Borat," but I'd have to rewatch "Inland Empire" before making any sort of statement...

On Zadown's review about Lady in the Water:

I highly disagree. In my entire life there are only two movies that have made me want to, and I quote myself, "spread my wings and fly to another world"

Those two include Braveheart, and the most recently, Lady in the Water. Lady in the Water is an amazing example of the real world and the fantasy world clashing. The dialogue here and there is a little primitive and poorly written. But that does not take away from its overall impact. When the Great Eatlon, the eagle that takes her away, appeared at the ending of the movie, I actually wept. Both Braveheart and Lady in the Water have done that to me, not because of the sadness or happiness of the ending, but because of the severe longing that fills me when I encounter but cannot touch such worlds that to me serve as fantasy.

The soundtrack (which I am listening to right now) is an amazing taste of themes that inspire. Even now I close my eyes and just drift with the notes. Chills run up your spine. It is a must have even if the movie was not enjoyed.

On the whole, it seems to me that most writers (I cannot say all, because I know I am wrong, Zadown ;) ) would enjoy this tale. It makes it possible to dream up a world and actually touch it, twining your fingers in its ethereal, filigree strands. The storyline is beautiful, the music enchanting, and the imagination enrapturing.

All ten fingers way way up for this story. Maybe even a toe or two.

~Kikuyu Black Paws

16 Blocks - I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, rented out only because I saw a trailer at the video store and it didn't look too bad. I expect good acting from Bruce Willis, and although I feel he was a little underused in this story, it wasn't so bad that I didn't enjoy it.

Bruce Willis plays Jack Mosley, an aging, burnt-out detective who seems intent on drinking his way through what's left of his life. By chance, he is assigned the unenviable task of transporting a man he thinks is a convict (Mos Def) from jail to a courthouse 16 blocks away. An easy assignment, his boss tells him.

Along the way Mosely decides to stop by a local liquor store to get a bottle of fortification, leaving Def's character in the car, much to his consternation. Mosely ignores Def's rambling about how he has to be in court by ten, thinking him just another criminal and they have plenty of time for a pit stop.

What Mosely doesn't know, however, is that Def is really supposed to testify against Mosley's colleagues, and the entire NYPD wants him dead. When the hit men come for Def, Mosley must choose between loyalty to his colleagues and protecting the witness. He discovers his reflexes aren't as slow as everyone thought when it counts...

I loved the way they show Mosely's reflexes. I thought it was all over at the very beginning, but director Richard Donner did a great job in showing Mosely's reaction to things that are happening so quickly, and that helped draw me into this beaten-down character who's still got something left in him. Made me wonder how good he'd once been if this is how it is for him now.

Mos Def played his part well also, although his way of speaking kind of grated at me and I sometimes found it hard to understand. David Morse was a good antagonist; I usually like him in his roles.

All in all, I thought 16 Blocks was not great, but good. Simple entertainment if you want to watch something with a bit of action and an interesting twist at the end.

~Elvina

• 2 weeks later...

So, this evening, I went with my sister and one of her friends to see the new Tarantino/Rodriguez movie, "Grindhouse."

In case you haven't caught word of this film yet, "Grindhouse" is a double-bill screening featuring the mini-movies "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof," which are directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino respectively. Everything from the format to the directorial approach of the two films pays homage to old midnight movies while parodying them at the same time, in typical Tarantino style. The two movies also come along with a series of fake trailers for other non-existent midnight films, which are disgusting and often-times hilarious.

So, what are these two flicks like? To start with the first of the bunch, Rodriguez delivers a solid effort with "Planet Terror," which is a zombie movie/all-out splatterfest. I haven't been a big fan of Rodriguez's stuff in the past, but "Planet Terror" was an interesting take on an old brand of B-movies, with lots of weird comedic characters and over-the-top loonyness. I think this might be the goriest movie I've ever seen, though the extremities of gore are pushed so far that it becomes pretty ridiculous and a bit easier to take. Still, it definitely had its share of cringe-worthy moments, including a dissolving penis and a full frontal view of half a brainless head. One very interesting aspect of the way that both this film and "Death Proof" were shot is that the film reel is deliberatly hazy and broken, often scratching up with static and occasionally even going black as a message from the Management comes up apologizing for the lost reel of film (this is used to comic effect at several points). Two highlight bad-ass moments of this film were when the character El Wray storms a zombie-infested hospital and kicks some major ass with two knives, and when the go-go dancer Cherry Darling gets equiped with an insanely powerful machinegun for a peg leg. "Planet Terror" was also filled with common midnight movie tropes used to comedic effect, including the oddly timed fate of Dakota's kid and an absolutely hilarious utopian ending. Interesting and entertaining flick overall... definitely NOT for the faint of stomach.

After more funny fake trailers and a hilariously bizarre and outdated ad for Mexican food, Tarantino's "Death Proof" is next on the billing, and is the superior of the two movies. While Rodriguez goes for the complete ridiculousness of over-the-top splatterfests, Tarantino's film is a more grounded take on a serial killer/slasher movie... only instead of knives or torture devices, the killer uses a high-speed car. This original twist is only enhanced by the fact that Tarantino used real stunt cars for the film instead of CGI or other fancy action techniques, and he really pays homage to old low budget movies in this regard. "Death Proof" has a much slower pace than "Planet Terror" and fewer scenes of action... but as a result, it highlights one of Tarantino's real strengths as a director: his dialogue. One could describe it as the poetry of nonsense. Those who liked the dialogue in "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown" will feel right at home here, and will be grinning ear to ear over the brilliant choices of words and the directions that the conversations take. The extended chase scene and ass-whooping that end the film are also noteworthy, but the character interactions and the dialogue were the really top-notch aspects of the film to me. The audience gave a bigger round of applause to "Death Proof" than they did to "Planet Terror," and my sister and her friend also agreed that it was the better of the two movies overall. Score another one for Quentin Tarantino.

All in all, "Grindhouse" is a very good double-bill feature and a unique cinematic experience. Two hours and thirty minutes of midnight movies can feel somewhat exhausting, particularly when its two films back-to-back, but I exited the theatre feeling like I'd seen something very different and at the same time familiar. The whole experience is like going to the theatre in a different era, and being transported back in time to an old school midnight grindhouse. Schlock perhaps... but very funny, bad-ass, and entertaining schlock never the less. Worth seeing if you don't mind some seriously nasty midnight movie gore.

So I went to see 300 last night, and I must say that for me it wasn't as good as what the hype said about it. The heroic message it is trying to pass and the Spartans forever clinging to their values were message that in my opinion were overshadowed by the blood and gore, which at times felt too much like gratuitous violence to me. Now don't get me wrong, it is a decent, maybe even good film, but for me it simply did not live up to the expectations I had from hearing about it and from what I had carried over from Sin City (which is from the same writer).

Saw Pan's Labyrinth a week ago. It has already been praised and I can add my voice to that chorus - it was a truly original and unique movie that provided new experiences, new images instead of just being the latest this or that I've seen reinforcing the old set of clichés etched deeply both in my memory and in the world of Hollywood movies. In my opinion it succeeded in what the Lady in the Water failed at (sorry Kikuyu!), mixing faery tales and reality. Again, the watcher is presented with new rules. He is forced to let the movie present its own world, to accept both the artificial myth and the movie's "present day" without previous knowledge. Part of why it works better this time is most likely the fact the main character is a child, and it is easy to accept her smooth acquiescence.

Of course, besides that part of the movie, Pan's Labyrinth is highly brutal and bloody movie about Spain's troubles around WWII. That part may turn some of the potential watchers away, but for those of us who do not mind the blood, the twin weave of iron-tasting violence and graceful faeries of the forest brings both out stronger, a synergy in contrast.

:wub:

Saw 300, Blades of Glory, Grindhouse.

300 is pretty much eye candy for everyone. Everyone looks like a god/goddess even the "monsters." Landscapes look like graphic novels scenes on steroids. Cool effects all around. Will tap into the testosterone drive of almost any guy. Fun flick. Nice ride.

Blade of Glory. Very funny. I enjoyed way better than Talladega Nights, and almost as much as Anchor Man Love the Queen's "Flash Gordon" songs coming into it at the end. Recommended for anyone.

Grindhouse

When, I went out to see this movie, I told my house-mate, beckie, I was going to see the ultimate Guy-flick. When I returned, I was like, "ya know that actually an equal opportunity film." Anyway, I've been a huge fan of Tarantino and Rodriguez for ages now. I love when they team up or do cameo's in each other's films. This was a fun film, but I still think they're best collaboration is still Four Rooms where they both collaborated with two other director. Gotta Tim Curry as the Bell Hop.

I agree with Wyv, that "Death Proof" is more in the vein of "Pulp Fiction" etc, but the dialogue while good, doesn't quite stand up to Tarantino's other films. But it doesn't have too. The film's more about the homage to the 70's B-movies than staying true to Taratino's signature style.

"Planet Terror" is just plain insane, and way over the top, but that what you expect from Zombie flicks, so cool.

Edited by reverie

Went with Mynx to see Shooter a few nights back...

Firstly I'd like to say I had a great time at this movie. If like me you sometimes feel the need just to tune out, putting your brain and belief on autopilot then you'll probably quite enjoy the show too.

What ever you do, do not go to see this expecting advanced plot, massive in depth character development and stunning dialogue. It's not there, not in any significant amounts anyway. It's not supposed to be there. This is, in a nut shell, an old school action flick.

We get enough info on the main character to show that he has a history of luck and / or courage (or is that stupidity - who knows) when under fire, literally since he's an army sniper, we're also shown that he loves his pet dog and he's living the standard life-in-solitude that seems to come with highly decorated US troops who want to hide from their government and / or past life so that they don't get pulled back into active service.

It never works of course.

The rest of the movie consists mainly of shooting things, explosions, occasional funny one-liners and ... did I mention explosions? Yeah, I think I did. During all the shiny the main character Bob Lee Swagger (Wahlberg) gets to run around looking tough, occasionally whipping his shirt off to show the ladies his muscles, or something, while he works through the 'conspiracy' that has set him up to look like he killed some important personage.

I can't say any more really without giving away the plot points.. oops... too late. ;)

Seriously though, it's a fun movie to go along and switch off to - but if you have trouble suspending your disbelief or you don't really like no-thinkers don't get it, or hire it on DVD when you're in the mood for a laugh or something.

...And now for some lowbrow movie reviews by our resident crawling chaos!

Grandma's Boy - A fun, surprisingly well written stoner comedy. I'll boil it down: if you dont enjoy films in the vein of Harold and Kumar and Half Baked or havent even a passing interest in video games, dont bother. Otherwise sit back and enjoy probably the most accurate depiction of hardcore gamers in cinema.

Smokin' Aces - A Tony Scott-esque film(stark colors, jerky camera work, "crazy" plot twists) which cant decide wether it wants to be Domino(fun and flashy) or Man on Fire(deep and provocative).

Slither - Comedy/Horror about red, phallic worm parasites from space turning the residents of a small redneck town into zombies. Delivers exactly what it promises. Goofy one-liners, Freudian inuendo scenes and lots of fake blood. Worth a watch.

Edited by Nyarlathotep

TMNT

When I was a kid, the turtles was my favorite cartoon. Hell, it's probably (almost definitely) because of Raphael that I came to love the sai. I have to admit though, after the shocking remake cartoons, and the weird CGI used for this film that makes them look more like frogs in shells than turtles, I initially wasn't too keen about seeing this flick.

But to my pleasant surprise, it actually wasn't that bad at all. Granted it was very kids aimed, full of cheesy morality lessons, and there were a few continuity errors that rankled me. But other than that, I really enjoyed myself.

There was a nice level of darkness to it, what with the brotherhood less than friendly for most of the film, and the fight scenes were entertaining.

All in all, while I'm sure this won't be everyone's cup of tea, for those who loved the original series it's a nice little nostalgic look to the past.

Maybe not worth the movie money, but certainly worth the DVD hire.

Cowabunga dudes!

:P

As a footnote to Mynx's review of TMNT above... I liked it. There were one or two places where the sequence of events could have done with clarification through script writing, and I'm afraid that she and I disagree both about the 'continuity errors' and the turtles looking like frogs... but we do both agree that it was fun - and probably better suited to a dvd hire than the price of a full blown movie ticket.

So, I recently watched "Volver" and "Jesus Camp" on DVD.

"Volver" is the latest flick by Pedro Almodóvar, an acclaimed director known for his emphasis on women and gender roles in his films. This is the second film I've seen by Almodóvar, the first being the bizarre transvestite-a-thon "Bad Education" which I reviewed in this thread. I think that "Volver" is a more stable and linear film than "Bad Education," but would rank the two at about the same level of quality overall. "Volver" doesn't have the same visual flair or fragmented narrative as "Bad Education," but Penelope Cruz delivers a great performance in her role and is a gorgeous actress to boot. She plays the part of a mother with powerful coping skills, who seems to get one difficult trial after another tossed her way and single-handedly defeats them in an efficient manner. My one complaint about the movie is that it seems to rely a little too heavily on relaying its plot, which is interesting and very well-thought out but not really enough to drive the film on its own. Still, "Volver" has its fair share of interesting and surprising moments, as well as some very good character interactions. I thought it was a good movie overall.

"Jesus Camp" is a short documentary detailing evangelical Christians in predominantly rural states of America, and the manner that many of them endoctrinate their children from birth. I'm not a regular documentary viewer and "Jesus Camp" was not without its dull moments, but for the most part it really captured my attention with its depictions of endoctrinated children and the trauma that many of them have to endure. Envision a camp full of 6-12 year olds bawling their eyes out, terrified over a sermon about sin, and you have this documentary in a nutshell. Another frightening moment that comes to mind was a sermon where children had to pick up hammers and take turns smashing glass mugs that signified an anti-life government. A very unsettling look at evangelical traditions, well worth checking out.

Thanks for the reviews everyone. ^_^ I'm glad that you really enjoyed "Pan's Labryinth," Zadown... there hasn't been a negative Pen review of it yet!

I saw Hotel Rwanda last night. For those unfamiliar with the film (even though Wyv has already reviewed it in this thread) it recounts the tale of a hotel manager saving more than a thousand Tutsis and Hutus during the Rwanda genocide. Don Cheadle was simply amazing in the main role, and deserved his Oscar nomination for it. He easily holds the movie together in the few places where the rest doesn't manage. For me the plot was coherent and even the other actors were quite good. I definitely can recommend this film. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I watched "Children of Men" on DVD earlier this evening.

This is possibly the most original science fiction film I've seen since "The Matrix," and is certainly worthy of your time. The premise of the movie is that in 2027, the world has become infertile, with the last child being born 18 years ago. It tosses you right into the setting without any explanation about the despair that's overcome humanity, and lets you absorb the details as it moves along. The two most noteworthy elements of the movie were the camera work, which involved several incredible long drawn out shots, and the set pieces, which range from an utterly chaotic refugee camp to an eerie abandoned elementary school. It's a very tense and fast-paced film, with its fair share of grip-the-edge-of-your-seat moments, so don't watch it if your in the mood for something quiet and contemplative. The movie was not without its flaws, as there were points where the dialogue felt a bit expository, and the very end of the movie was (frankly) corny. I don't think it leaves as big an impact crater in science fiction as "Pan's Labryinth" did for fantasy, but it's still a very well put together movie with some serious camera work techniques. Recommended.

I saw American History X last week. For those who don't know it, the story is that of a former neo-nazi, who is trying to keep his brother off the same road he had gone down. There are a lot of flashbacks in the film, and they work quite well. Edward Norton delivers a great lead performance in this film. As Wyv said for the previous film: "Recommended"

28 Weeks Later - Sequel to 2002's 28 Days Later. NATO forces have established a "green zone" in Britain and wiped out the last of the infected. People are begining to be moved back into the country when another outbreak occurs. I was suprised to find this one to be just as good as the first. The cinematography was still excellent, the raw intensity was still there and eerieness of a silent city was just as palpable. The gore factor has been increased slightly, with some especially disturbing deaths, but not to the point of senselessness. I would highly recommend this if you saw the first one and enjoyed it or are just a fan of "zombie" films. Edited by Nyarlathotep