The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Pioneering Spirit

Rune

A friend put it into better words than I could ever come up with..

As many of you are probably aware the United States Space Shuttle Columbia suffered a catastrophic accident during re-entry today (February 1, 2003).

My heart goes out to the brave men and women of the Columbia crew. On a personal level I'm very saddened by this incident as well as worried. The space program in my mind has always represented the pinnacle of human achievement.

I remember the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy many years ago when I was a younger man. At the time I did not understand the full impact of that incident, mainly how it's demoralizing effect crippled our venture into space for decades to come.

Let's not allow that to happen this time - this tragedy should instead ignite our pioneering spirit. We should want to touch the stars more than ever now.

My condolences go out to the families of:

William McCool

Michael Anderson

Kalpana Chawla

David Brown

Laurel Clark

Ilan Ramon

In this time of sadness, we must remember these recently passed as well as all those who go forth into the void of space in the constant ambition of discovery. Those that perish in this noble pursuit will truely never be forgotten as long as there are men who gaze into the stars and dream. My prayers go out to these brave souls who have passed as well as those who must bear the tragedy of their passing. May God be with us.

All the shuttle 'fleet' is grounded until further notice. I take it the space station has supplies to last through May.

This is indeed a very sad day. I too remember the Challenger and it's aftermath.

This is a very serious reminder that space travel is still in it's infancy. We have been going into space not even 50 years. It is still a very dangerous endeavor, though I agree it is the pinnacle of humanity's technological achievment.

In space and space travel lies the future of Mankind. The astronauts know the risks, but I believe they also keep in mind what there is to gain. It is no accident that many of the world's brightest and most capable people work very hard to try to be a part of the space program. I think we should keep that in mind.

For now we bow our heads in remembrance and appreciation of the sacrifice those seven astronauts have made.

Afterwards will come the time to learn from our mistakes, as they would undoubtedly have us do, to continue on into space, and out to our destiny.