The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Tamaranis

Guest Tamaranis

Guest Tamaranis

The conservatory was the single largest source of information in all of Terra. Many archmagi claimed to possess unparrelled personal libraries of spells and lore, but no dozen of them could even begin to compare to what was held in the conservatory. Spells of particular power, such as Corruption, could not be found there, but it might have been possible to extrapolate that spell, and others, if a single being could research all that was contained within those halls.

And perhaps more importantly, it was the cultural hub of Terra. Bards, Story-tellers, and adventurers came to the conservatory to record their tales or learn of new ones. Great shelves of poetry and heroic tales lined the walls to such an extent as to dwarf the number of magical volumes the building housed.

There was a constant flow of mages, archmagi, and bards through the halls. Quiet was seldom. Few things were surprising there. Undead, demons, angels, and talking wolves were common-place, as were other strange phenomenon.

That was the conservatory in its prime.

Some time ago, a god previously thought to be benevolent and of minor importance, Mari, proved the sages and theologists wrong. Terra began to unravel, multi-souled mages became more and more common. Scholars of all kinds working from the conservatory studied the phenomenon, but none could discern the reason for Mari's strange behavior or its unfathomable power.

Because the population of the conservatory was always in flux, and even those who had resided there for years often left without a farewell they didn't notice it at first. It seemed that one day, quite suddenly, the halls of the conservatory were strangely quiet. Those who were left seemed to notice it all at once, but realizing what was happening couldn't stop it. One by one they continued disappearing.

Now the building was burning. A building which had survived multiple parties held by Wyvern himself seemed now to be on the verge of destruction. Only two or four living things remained inside, depending on what you counted as living.

Inbi Infusco was furiously attacking some unseen and apparently resilient foe by manipulation of temperature. Heat that could liquify steel lept from her hands, which wasn't helping the fire situation. She might even have inadvertantly started it, no one was quite sure. Normally she was much more exact and careful with the use of her power, but there was no time for that now.

Fighting alongside Inbi was a vampire known simply as Black. The ferociousness he fought with, ironically wielding a vampire slayer's sword, seemed to be holding at bay even this unbeatable foe. Such a pace in combat would have been impossible for a mortal to sustain, but being undead, Black didn't tire.

Behind them stood a pair of archmagi, a human named Venefyxatu and another vampire called Tamaranis. Both specialized in the use of black magic, and both were attempting to discern the nature of their foe and launch more effective attacks. If anything, they were less effective than Inbi and Black.

"I can't sense anyone else, not even Gyrfalcon." Venfyxatu said, leaning on his staff. "But I did just find something unexpected."

"I sensed it too, it was indeed Arawn, but he's definately not here in body." Tamaranis agreed.

In unison both of them turned around and unleashed pure nether energy at something that had been approaching from behind. The flames near them flickered and died in response their power. A vague shape was briefly outlined by darkness and disappeared. Venefyxatu seemed to become weaker and lean more heavily on his staff. Tamaranis showed no sign of weakness, but was no less taxed than Venefyxatu from the effort of pushing the attacker back.

"Inbi" The said together, Venefyxatu's voice sharp with surprise and concern, Tamaranis' as cold as ever. Without turning they'd sensed her sudden absence.

"Damn you!" Black cursed, realizing Inbi had been claimed by the strange force as well, "I'm the warlord of death and you will pay! Do you hear me!?"

Inbi had apparently been putting some effort into controlling the flames after all, for with her absence the seemed to suddenly gain vigor and advance towards the three remaining residents of the conservatory. Venefyxatu waved his hand, which caused them to flicker and weaken, and Tamaranis' protective darkness began to lash out, seeming to 'kill' the flame on contact. But it still advanced.

"We must flee." Tamaranis insisted for the umpteenth time. "This is obviously the work of Mari, and we cannot overcome it."

"No!" Black disagreed, slashing about even more frantically now that Inbi wasn't aiding him, "We can beat it!"

"Odd." Venefyxatu suddenly said,

"Gyrfalcon." Tamaranis acknowleged.

If Black sensed the presence of the Conservatory's traditional guardian he didn't acknowledge it, he was too busy fighting.

"Perhaps he has returned with a way to combat this force." Tamaranis suggested, now drawing his sword as numerous vaguely defined shapes moved towards he and Venefyxatu. "It would be fortunate, for the opportunity for flight has left us."

"Join us at The Pen," Came a voice that was unmistakably Gyrfalcon's. "We can continue this from there. The halls of The Pen are insulated against Mari's power." Then his presence disappeared.

"Not quite what I was hoping for..." Venefyxatu commented, as he sent a stream of dark energy towards Black. Being undead Black was unharmed, it was difficult to say whether or not his opponents had been affected.

"Perhaps you have a suggestion as to how we might reach The Pen?" Tamaranis asked as he turned and cut at something he hadn't been aware of until it was almost too late.

There was no answer, Venefyxatu was gone. Tamaranis was incapable of giving up, he continued to fight, but it occured to him that this was most probably the end.

Black worked his way over, and soon the two vampires were fighting back to back against something they couldn't see, though undead could supposedly see anything if it were present. Tamaranis felt something cleave the shadows protecting him, and the halls and flames began to fade and blur.

"Tamaranis? Damnit!" Black's muffled voice shouted.

Still Tamaranis hadn't complete resigned himself to destruction. He was being pulled away from Terra, but he wasn't being pulled away from the other planes. He began to deliberately push away from Terra, speeding the rate at which his view of it faded. But Tamaranis pushed in a different direction.

Soon there was nothing but gray light, complete emptiness. At first Tamaranis was unsure of what had happened, but he quickly confirmed that he had escaped the grasp of whatever it was and reached the between.

It wasn't as easy to reach Terra from the between as it should have been, but Tamaranis was experienced in the manipulation of dimensional barriers, and when he reappeared on the surface of Terra he was standing at the entrance to the guild which had began to replace the conservatory as Terra's hub of magic and culture. The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Unfortunately Tamaranis had appeared at the wrong entrance, entering at the Pen's own smaller conservatory rather than the main gate. He wasn't misplaced for long however. A large and apparently magical painting identified itself as the legendary Zool, welcomed him, and directed him towards the recruitment office.

After a brief and unexpected hug from Peredhil Tamaranis found his way to Wyvern's office. Preparing himself for the possibility of being pulled into a hopelessly elaborate and, in all likelyhood, doomed scheme, Tamaranis knocked on the door...

completely OOC now: I don't know if that's quite long enough to be an application, especially since it was originally in the wrong place, but hey, I'm here.

Tamaranis knocks three times on the door to Wyvern's office and is about to see if it's unlocked when suddenly the entrance swings open in a flash of cameras and a burst of noise... The confused vampiric applicant is immediatly pulled into the office, and finds himself surrounded by noisy men in ties and annoying flashing cameras... Before Tamaranis can so much as say a word, he's pulled into a chair where several women procede to cover him with makeup and exotic accessories, including a large checkered apron and a chef's hat. After they've finished and are happy with his appearence in the mirror, they shove him onto what appears to be a stage with a cardboard backdrop depicting the center of a large bowl of spaghetti. Tamaranis looks from left to right, stuttering a bit and still confused as the camera men surrounding him begin filming his every move...

Tamaranis' confusion is only augmented as what appears to be a large, walking garlic clove with arms and legs fumbles onto the set. The enormous garlic clove (which happens to have a scaly red tail sticking out it's back) advances towards Tamaranis while shaking what appears to be a thin cylindrical spray can that it holds in it's right hand. After the enormous garlic clove stands about a foot away from the vampire, it holds up the can for the cameras to see, clears it's throat, and exclaims in an almost-dragonic voice:

"Tired of the same ol' garlic flavor in your pasta dishes? Are your shell noodles out of style? Do your bread sticks have bad taste...?"

With this, the enormous garlic clove reaches into a secret compartment of it's body and pulls out a fashionable-looking green bow tie, which it procedes to fasten to it's front while beaming with pride...

"Then why not try out "Four Leaf Clover" brand garlic spray, the only garlic spray that tastes 100% natural, as if it were fresh from the clover! Let's see what the professional chefs think..."

Having said this, the enormous garlic clove points the spray can it has towards Tamaranis and sprays a large wiff of "Four Leaf Clover" garlic spray in the vampire's general direction. Tamaranis, being a vampire, is naturally revolted by this and wretches, waving away the smell as best as he can. It's at this moment that the overgrown lizard dressed in the garlic clove outfit (Wyvern) notices that the actor playing the part of the chef is not Steven Seagal as had previously been planned by the director...

"T-Tamaranis...?" the giant garlic clove mutters while nervously fidgeting with it's bowtie.

Tamaranis, while continuing to choke and gag from the garlic fumes previously released, swiftly grabs the garlic spray can from the gigantic garlic clove's right hand and immediatly crushes it with the strength of his clenched fist. A murmer breaks out amongst the camera men in the audience, and the Wyvern the garlic clove decides to improvise by tap dancing on the set... Unfortunatly, as is often the case when Wyvern tries to improvise something, this backfires horribly and he trips... The set designers in the audience's eyes widen in horror as their giant garlic clove mascot falls over and begins rolling uncontrollably towards the backdrop they had spent months designing... Before the director of the garlic spray commercial can even yell "CUT!!!" Wyvern the garlic clove has crashed straight through the set design and out the office window...

As the director, set designers, camera men, and even Steven Seagal (who had arrived at the set late) jump out the office window and chase after Wyvern the garlic clove cursing, Melba the Almost Secretary of Initiates hands a bewildered Tamaranis a small piece of the script that had been left behind, on which there is typed in bold letters:

"ACCEPTED"

OOC: A very good application, Tamaranis... certainly ACCEPTED. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! Be sure to post your e-mail here or mail me at elitwack90@hotmail.com so that I can get you the password info and stuff. Once again, welcome! Great to have you here...

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 10/3/02 7:41:31 pm

Canid greets her old friend with one of *her* grins and howls to top it off.

"I am glad you are finally here.... sorry I couldn't do more to keep the Conservatory alive" Canid looked sad for a moment, "basically everything I've written is there anyway and I don't make new things frequently enough to have an impact outside an active story."

Canid pauses, smiles and bows, then smells the fake garlic and offers Tamaranis a wet cloth.

yeah, seriously... even at the height of my rambling phase I wasn't anywhere near that creative or detail...

hey dude be honest? you juicing? you poping the aderal?

going coocooo for coacoa puffs? snorting the pixies stix???

the juice man is not the answer... cause in the end, what are going to do with all that dang pulp... sure, sure they say you can compost... but what a waste of fiber! that's prime building material... dish washer safe my @#$@#$

revery

the dreamlost

"heh"

the dream continues...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?