The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Application ( 1

Guest XelnagaTheFirst

Guest XelnagaTheFirst

Hello I am in a local band and thinking of joining the pen to deepen my knowledge on philosophy and other points of view. I am the lead singer and I write lyrics all the time. Here is my original work for an application.

On way

to ruler

One may when I break that water

Insight

on mover

One might if it looked no odder

Come and take me by a hand slight

On a holler way I am not one to bother

Can I make you buy my hand slide

Any other way I wouldn't want to offer

I want to see you in a hungry light

I want to be another man tonight

I want to have you in a selfish lie

I want to pull your inside

On way

On to her

Can't bite if I am not through her

Do wait

Infuser

Red wide and a pink intruder

Come and have me by a hand slight

In a holler way I will not hide the blunder

I can take you with my hand slide

Any other way I wouldn't want to wonder

I want to see you in a hungry light

I want to be another man tonight

I want to have you in a selfish lie

I want to have another hungry lie

My way

My ruler

I may when I break that water

Inside

onto her

Come and take me by a hand slight

In a holler way I will not hide the hunger

I can make you with my hand slide

Any other way I wouldn't want to wonder

one way

To rule her

Inside

Onto her

(the end)

Deg was the person that got me interested in joining and asked me to send an application.

Since I am not exactly sure what to say I will state some of my beliefs.

I am a slacker it is true. But I believe that slackers are the smarter people. I think back to the days of ancient Greece and their philosophers such as Plato or Socrates. All they really did was sit around and do calculations or just sit around and think. Sitting around and doing nothing really is great.

Second I believe people with mental "illness" that affect people such as Schizophrenic people is not such an illness. A person only uses 10% of their brain and 90% is left un used. Perhaps we use a little more. But I think Schizophrenic people and others use more of their brain than a "normal" person and are just viewed as "Crazy" in societies eyes.

I believe normal is never normal and should not be named.

I am not anti-Christian but I don't have any real religious beliefs. I think the closest and more real believable religion would be the druids and the things they believe sound strange? Think about it.... Praising mother nature is allot easier to me because its there in front of you and you can see it.

NO I am not a deist.

I consider myself somewhat of a hermit for I never have fit in societies eyes, nor will I ever.

Anyway I have plenty of beliefs and I like questions, despite me being a fool I can awnser a few things.

Thank you for your time and please review my application

-Xelnaga

(please ignore all the horrible grammar)

*note to Wyvern... revery will not be creating another side show spectical... well at least not this time... so put away that horrid cane...

That said... you mentioned philosphy and greeks and crazy people... Anyway that points me to two books i recently read by Rober M. Pirsig... 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' and it's sequal 'Lila' Um, if you find the time, pick them up... I think they'll give an interesting perspective on your views...

okay, later

revery

the dreamlost...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?Edited by: reverie  at: 7/7/02 3:41:53 pm

I read 'motorcycle maintenace' many years ago. Sorry, but I was bored to tears. A better one might be Pema Chodron's "When Things Fall Apart" or "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran.

I have been rather mystified why 'motorcycle' has continued to sell all these years. It must just be me - the public has spoken.

~Zool~

Ancient, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Bard of Terra, Patron Saint of Aspiring Bards.

Master of Magic and Mayhem, The Moonlit Realm

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.

i like it... cause in the sequel he totally assinates the old narrator... it's fun... but i'll look up those other ones you mentioned... (hey i'm still discovering lots ya know...)

revery

the dreamlost

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?

Guest Xradion

I agree with Zool. There are far better books, even in the "bestseller" category. Personally, I prefer the classics, but I do enjoy modern authors such as Kurt Vonnegut.

By the way, just so you know, Xelnaga, schizophrenic people actually use LESS of their brain than "normal" people, for the most part. Certain parts of their brain are hyperactive, and other parts of their conscious mind (that should make them aware of the fact that their delusions aren't real) are inactive. Furthermore, it is a myth that we only use 10% of our brain in our lives. In fact, sight alone constitutes about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cerebrum.

From my understanding (I may be wrong), what IS true is that we only use 10% of our brain in any given millisecond, because otherwise there would be too many electro-chemical impulses flowing through the system, causing a temporary "short circuiting" of sorts, much as an individual circuit that has too many things plugged into it at once, overloading it's capacity. Some human beings have a slightly more effecient system, and are able to form larger gaps at the synapse between neurons, enabling the messages to travel faster. However, whether having MORE messages traveling at once would really increase a person's perceptiveness or intelligence is highly dubious (yes, I LOVE saying dubious).

I will agree with you, though, in the sense that society has often confused genious with insanity, but this is not always the case, either. Sometimes, people are persecuted (such as Galileo in his time), and sometimes, they are held in high esteem (such as Da Vinci, despite the fact he was never all that financially prosperous).

I also think that the way we attempt to treat mentally ill people with drugs or electro-shock is abhorrent. Yes, there are people who are truely mentally ill, but I believe that the only way to heal them is through love, respect, and understanding, and NOT through some sort of perverse postive-negative stimulus response. I agree with Stanley Kubric's take on this in "Clockwork Orange" (one of the few instances where the movie is better than the book, in my view). I really don't think you can change someone through the whole "Behaviorism Simulus Response Theory." Forget Pavlov and the dog experiment. REAL change must come about from within. Until next time... "I was cured all right."

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

Scholar of the Ancient Arts,

Holder of the Eye of Odin.

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."

-Wallace Stevens

"When at home, do as the Homans do." –Xradion

???

What is this? Xelnaga my friend, let not ops deffer you from a place that needs your pressence!

You applied, and you gave us great inspiration and reason to invite you into our ranks. All that is required now is a bit of time. Please, I ask you to continue your works, and continue to share them here with us.

Reconsider, and please do not withdraw your application. Deg may be sorry for the refference, but I am not.

Yours truly,

- Justin Silverblade

(Aka - Enos)

LOL! Q doesn't even recognize me in #thepen room... Does this mean I should quit?

Also, I'm with X on the whole 10% of the brain thing, in fact his whole post. Using electroshock is like trying to hit a pot hole in the road to knock your wheels INTO alignment. Why does humanity find care so abhorrant?

Some day we will start to INVEST in societies wreckage, not simply search for a convenient way to keep them out of sight. Some day.

I will have to check out the sequel to 'motorcycle' Reverie - that might be interesting.

~Zool~

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.

Edited by: Zool47  at: 7/8/02 5:12:57 am

um, yeah X the I don't give up on the basis of op's... or whatever happened... i mean were not exactly dependent on irc are we? words and works tranfer through lots of other mediums... like our boards and emails... or some ppl even use those instant messengers i hear? Anyways, think it over...

...regarding the 'motorcycle book' um i still like it... It was an entertaining to me and a breath of fresh air after trying to digest plato...(i've given up for the moment... too much logic) and since have moved on the Daoism(prolly change in a month, yoga sounds kewl!) I tried more serious ppl before, but the work of Jung just mentally exhausted me... though his cuts at frued where amusing And Dante had too many foot notes... I'm taking refuge in tolstoy and j.d. salinger for the moment so i can gear up my brain and try again at some harder stuff...

regards all,

revery

the dreamlost...

Which Colossal Death Robot Are You?

Don't forget Alfred North Whitehead - I love his ideas, though his language is of necessity rather abstract.

Yeah, thinking about it, my guess is the draw of 'motorcycle' is simply the cool name. I mean, the title implies that somebody actually got something useful out of all that eastern philosophy stuff. It's like, motorcycles are cool, Zen is cool, and fixing stuff yourself is cool - and then there's a whole book about it - hard physical evidence that all this stuff actually has something to do with each other!

I did enjoy "Zen in the Art of Archery". It was a true western account of one man's growth through eastern means, which I guess is sort of what 'motorcycle' does, but much more succinctly - plus I love the part in the book where the master splits his arrow - in the dark! There's nowhere in 'motorcycle' where some ancient japanese sage rebuilds a motorcycle - not even in the light.

I do remember one deep discussion about a fender.

;p

Xelnaga,

Your application seemed promising, thus I find it a shame that you decided to withdraw it due to IRC issues. As others have said, chat programs are not an essential element of the guild... I would say that a good 50% of our membership have never even used them before... I hope that you'll frequent our boards occasionaly and post a thing or two, even in the decision of not becoming a member.

On a side note, I haven't read any of the "Zen..." books and hence find myself unable to comment on the subject, but I do agree with several statements that have been made concerning the uses of electro-shock therapy in psychology. Personally, I don't believe in any single perspective of psychology, but instead think that the appropriate way of forming a treatment would be through a mixture of several perspectives... not including Carl Roger's Humanistic perspective, which, in my humble opinion, is a load of crap.

As Nyyark mentioned: nice debate you got started here, Xellers.

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 7/8/02 4:56:01 pm

Humanism a load of crap???

Yah, power to the people there Wyv.

~Zool~

Guest XelnagaTheFirst

man.... debates i cant stay away!!

Well i do not know if i am right for this. But i really do need help writing lyrics, not only that but i might actually have an idea for a new anime and i am writing the the script while my friend is inking and such, and i need HELP!!!!!!!!!!! heh, but i do not know if i am right for this guild, i might cause trouble

I have sudden RL issues that have really affected me emotionally. Anyway i really need imput and help with writing. Here let me post new lyrics to redeam myself hehe. Well consider this my new application? Hehe, btw i really want to talk with you guys on such topics in these debates hehe. Zool and rev you guys are cool, enos too.

Im just an angry loner

here it goes ->

You are you and you don't see the power you have over me

but I feel it in my throat before you say such things to me

All in all may very be the quiet ain't so bad you see that

I'm prepared for anything you can't take easily

I don't feel it anymore

Maybe mine was never meant to be the only monument

one flesh that I might serve to you to be my only matter

You don't feel it any

I don't feel you anymore

I don't want to break your back I am

I don't want to love like that I am

Now I'm a loner, Loner

Body's gonna break your back I am

And I don't want to love like that I am

Now I'm a loner, Loner

I don't feel it any

You won't feel it anymore

Now I'm a loner, Loner

(the end)

If you dont want to accept me then I understand completely.

-Xelnaga

"Dark is the light"

(Please excuse all the improper english and grammar)

Perhaps Xelnega, you should first consider if you will accept us. We have unwittingly already upset you once, and that is completely not our intent. We would like to feel that by your application you would be willing to believe in us, that we are YOUR compatriots and supporters, just as much as we are to accept you as ours by your acceptance into the Pen.

If you have already thought this over, then GREAT! We are very happy to see your app. But if you have any doubt, do take a lil time to think it over and get that straight in your mind.

Thanks for the second lyrics/poem, that's the kind of comeback we like to see!

~Zool~

OOC: Zool, I was referring to the Humanistic perspective of psychology, not Humanism. The two are actually entirely different... the Humanistic perspective of Psychology is a perspective that holds the belief that all people are born inherently good, which is a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. ;p

IC: As Xelnaga comes to the final decision of submitting a new application in the hopes of joining the ranks of the Pen, he turns towards the door of the Recruitment Office only to be greeted by what appears to be an obese Almost-Secretary chasing after a hyperactive orangutan. Silly the 8th Pen Elder Dwarf, who is holding a coffee mug in one hand while swinging from lamps with the other, sticks his tongue out at Melba as he rapidly makes his way down the hall...

"Hey!" Melba calls out to Xelnaga down the hall "Quick! Stop that orangutan! That monkey of a Pen Elder Dwarf just stole my favorite coffee mug along with the ultra-caffeinated coffee inside it!!!"

Thinking quickly, Xelnaga immediatly rushes towards the bouncing orangutan in the hopes of stopping it and helping Melba... Moving in front of a door to a hallway and grinning triumphantly as he blocks Silly's only escape route, the confident applicant crosses his arms and stares down at the mischief-making orangutan.

"O.K monkey, the chase is up... please hand over the coffee mug, nice and sl-"

Xelnaga is interrupted in mid-command as he notices Silly gulping down the contents of the coffee mug as fast as he can...

"Hey!" exclaims Melba who is blocking the other side of Silly's escape route "Don't drink tha-"

But before she can finish, the effects of the coffee have greatly augmented Silly's hyperactiveness. The hyper-orangutan suddenly transforms into a blinding tornado of fur and fruits, and Xelnaga and Melba cry out as they're hit by a sudden bombardment of exploding pineapples. As Silly rushes out the hall and continues on his escape route, pieces of confetti hidden in the exploding pineapples fill the air of the hall. Written on the pieces of confetti are scrawled the words: "I'm not a monkey, I'm an orangutan!"... with the exception of one piece of confetti, on which there is neatly written "ACCEPTED".

OOC: An ACCEPTED application Xelnaga, glad you decided to reapply. Welcome to the Pen, and be sure to post an e-mail address where I can contact you for the mailing of passwords and such.

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 7/9/02 5:27:08 pm

Thanks for letting me know where you're coming from Wyv.

I appreciate that.

~Zool~

Guest XelnagaTheFirst

jjmen_kog@hotmail.com

Thanks for accepting me, I look forward to working with you all .

hmmmmmmm

mmmhhmmmmm

Well I will ask questions later i guess

thanks guys

Laterz

Xelnaga

Guest XelnagaTheFirst

Why Zakuro it is I. The crazy friend of engels only engels has come to love . Yeah, im good friends with Sabre there we write together and such. Anyway Zakuro whats up??? How you been?? My friend we must discuss anime once again!

Time to go play b2, and i just woke up i must get off the computer, Zakuro maybe i see you in #thepen if i ever go back .

Later

Xelnaga