The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

writers block

Guest globalconfusion

Guest globalconfusion

well, I could write a story here, but I cant think of anything I cant incorporate into one of the books I'm writing.

Somebody suggest a main character and setting, and I'm sure I can come up with something

to tide you over: here's a poem I wrote a while ago (with editing)

Loneliness' Reprieve

i went to a dance

one saturday

and i tried to have fun

but something was missing

the food was good

but i have had better

the people were nice

but i did not know anyone

the girls asked me to dance

but i did not know how

i decided to leave

until the terrible absence was filled

she walked through the door

and i stopped

and stared

and she walked by

with a smile on her face

i decided to follow

i sat down to watch her

but she came to me

and asked for a dance

when i said i did not know how

she laughed

a good laugh

and pulled me to the floor

she placed my hands on her hips

and put hers on my arms

she taught me to dance

while the armageddon song

from aerosmith

was playing

she smiled

and i could not stop smiling

we danced again

and we had a good time

but the clock struck eleven

we had to go home

we parted ways

and i never saw her again

i know nothing but her first name

but if i saw her again

even if we were old and wrinkled

i would recognize her

the woman i fell in love with one night

------------

waddya think?

character: modern day knight a.k.a. the gordan's fisherman

antagonist: 1000 cats.

setting: Pern.

goodluck

writing nonsense is a good cure for any block...

revery

the dreamlost

"once upon a time, the story always goes but i'll make it brief, but what started out with such excitement. Now i gladly end with relief." (a. mann)

the dream continues...

Globalconfusion,

Thanks for posting your poem and applying, I enjoyed reading it over and liked it's direct, freeverse style. However, I prefer that applicants post an application written specificaly for the purpose of joining the Pen, rather then giving a previously written work as their app. If you could write a new work as an application, that would be great. I understand the difficulties of writers block, and thus would suggest that you read, comment, and participate on the public boards until you come up with something new to post... I'll be eagerly awaiting it! The post can be anything that shows your writing talent...

If a main character and a setting would help, here's an idea for you to play upon:

Main character: A spectre of of a noble knight, who suffered an unjustfull death of betrayal and passed away on the feild of battle.

Setting: The battlefeild on which he fought, 20 years later, where he reminisces of the events that took place...

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 3/19/02 8:34:39 pm

Okay then.

Main Character:

Phoebe caulfied from Catcher in the Rye.

(or really any character frome any book that's not the focus)

Emphasis: her point of view at the museum and the zoo.

good luck.

or you could try what i did once to break a block. (heh, well it actually created another one in the process too.)

Ask someone to sum up their theme of life in a sentence or two. Then try to write it into a running theme or a poem from what you perceive to be there perspective. Sure you prolly be way off the mark, but that's not the point. It forces you to think in a way you normally wouldn't, thus the many thought tangents created from the exercise should provide all kinds of inspiration for other works.

Hell, i'll even give you one of my motto's.

"I love everyone except the people i hate."

well, that's my two cents.

take care,

revery

the dreamlost

"if casey were only so bold,

would we care what the story told."

the dream continues...

Edited by: reverie  at: 3/20/02 6:15:25 pm

Guest globalconfusion

The setting sun was the only light guiding my path. Small branches whips at my face as I hurriedly run through the woods. The tall grass slaps against my shins, adding droplets of evening condensation to the pouring sweat. I run as fast as I can, despite my lack of shoes, hoping to make it out of this forest alive. I glance back to see if one of the guards on horseback somehow managed to catch up, but my attention is drawn to my foot as a searing pain explodes in my ankle. I land face-first in the mud, tripped by a tree root. I turn over, immediately expecting rough hands to pull me up, but there is still nobody there.

Get up! I mentally scream, You cant let that bastard find you! I look around, and find that one of the trees nearby has a hollow large enough for me to crawl into. I slide over to it, and cram myself in as tight as I can. The mud I'm covered in helps hide me, the tree's trunk is covered in it. A few moments of waiting and I hear horse approach. My calmed breath quickens again as I hear his voice, the voice of the man behind all this.

"The little cur couldn't have gotten this far," he says, "tell the men they'll all suffer half pay and half rations if he's not in the castle dungeons by morning. Heyaa!" He spurs his horse and gallops off. It figures, having others doing work for him Confident that they wont find me in here, I get as comfortable as I can and begin to sleep.

I awaken with cramps in every joint they have a name for as I squirm out of my tree. It has become night, and now my illumination is the waxing moon above. There are hoof prints in the mud from all the guards, but I strain my ears and still hear nothing but the crickets. I stand, stretch my limbs and continue my escape in a random direction.

An hour later, I am on the run again. I just happened to cross paths with a guard that had given up chase and decided to go home because of a sore backside. Now I twist and turn in every direction, ducking under fallen logs and leaping over shallow streams, trying to lose my only follower before others join him. Eventually, I stumble along the path to Henuth, in which the young King had ordered closed to strengthen the trade boycott. The horseman bursts into the open to my left; I instinctively run right. He could easily outrun me, but he decides to tire me out untill I cant run anymore. I look back too see how far away he is, and just my luck, I fall again. I close my eyes and wait for the impact.

I dont land. I open my eyes to find that it is now daytime, and I am standing on solid ground. Iturn at the sound of a horse's whinny, expecting to see the guard, but instead there is a horse-drawn carraige. A woman is holding a boy in her lap, showing him how to control the horses. A man walks beside them, sword strapped to his side. I approach them, still slightly covered in mud. "Excuse me, gentlefolk, but have you seen any of the King's guards nearby?" I ask. They do not reply, and continue to travel past me. I run up to the man on foot. "Excuse me, sir, but I....." I stop short as my hand passes through his shoulder. Am I dead? The man motions to the two driving to stop. He pulls out his sword and starts to walk ahead, scanning the trees for trouble.

"What is it, dear?" the woman dares to say. The man turns back to say something, but he screams and falls, an arrow had peirced through his leg. The woman gets up off the carraige and starts to run to him, but armed men bearing the King's seal on their shields jump out of the forest and knock her down. Another man runs and grabs the boy off the carraige, much to the woman's protest. I rush to their aid and dive into the man holding the boy, or should I say, dive through. Everything I try is in vain, as I am forced to watch as the woman and child are forced closer to the man. I hear a voice behind me, a voice I recognize, the one voice I'll never forget.

"My, my, my," he says. I turn to face him as my anger starts to boil. "If it isn't the former Head Knight of Desoria! What ever are you doing out here?" he asks mockingly.

"You know very well what I am doing, you worthless dog," replies the wounded man. "I am taking my family to Henuth. The King gave me his permission."

"Well, I regret to inform you that His Majesty has changed his mind. You are charged with treason. How do you plead?"

"Changed his mind? More like you have changed it for him. And you know damn well that I am loyal to the crown and country!"

"Then why do you flee?"

"I do not flee. I am getting away from the man that killed the King and uses his son as a puppet." The man nearly vomits as one of the men holding him down kick him in the gut.

"What's this? A confession of guilt? It's bad enough that you attacked my men, kiling one," he motions to one of them, who proceedes to slice open the neck of his companion with the sword from the wounded man, "But you say you sold military secrets to Valair? Oh, the King would be sad indeed." He begins to walk away, but turns and adds, "You know your job, Corporal." I look back to the three helpless victims as the guards mercilessly beat them to death, boy first, then wife, and finally the man. The world around me fades, and I am surrounding by nothingness. I start to fall, faster and faster, faster still. I close my eyes, and I mourn for these people, whomever they were, but my thoughts were interrupted by contact with the ground.

I open my eyes, and it is night again. The guard is there, stopped some distance away, laughing at me. I reach over to the brush and find a sturdy stick, which I hold towards the guard. The time to run has ended.

-----------------

I can do a part 2 if interested

Edited by: globalconfusion at: 3/22/02 11:24:44 am

A hand passes in front of globalconfusion's face, as if wiping something from it. As it passes away, there is an imposingly-carriaged old man looking on in naked fascination. "Please, do go on," he urges, while gesturing globalconfusion to one of Wyvern's empty office chairs. He then takes one himself.

Wyvern sips casualy from his Endless Decanter while sorting through countless documents and applicant profiles that lay cluttered on his desk... Tossing aside various smut magasines, business cards, and "URGENT! PLEASE READ!" letters from Jechum, the overgrown lizard happens to come across the profile and application of one of the latest Pen applicants: Globalconfusion. Wyvern takes a long swig of booze and then begins skimming over Globalconfusion's profile, practicaly choking on his booze as he comes across the first point of interest...

"Location. Upon the throne in which I am to rule the world.

Occupation. Dictator"

No sooner has Wyvern read these words then an evil grin spreads across his scaly visage. The Elder of Initiates begins giggling gleefully... With a powerfull dictator applying here, the bribery possibilities seemed almost endless...

With the pressing of a small red button on his desk and a bit of chatting through a speaker, Wyv has Melba bring Globalconfusion to his office and seat him by his desk. Rubbing his greedy claws together, the overgrown lizard looks over the somewhat nervous applicant with malicious intent...

"Well..." gulps Globalconfusion, fidgeting nervously in his chair "what's your verdict on my application, Mr. Wyvern?"

"Well..." hisses Wyvern sinisterly "I think that your acceptance to the Pen can certainly be arranged... under the condition that you might help me with a few things like, oh, say, complete and utter global domination!"

"Errrrr...." starts Globalconfusion.

"I've read your application, and I know the throne upon which you sit..." continues Wyv, winking shamelessly at Globalconfusion "Don't worry, I won't dominate the whole world... just 99.9% of it..."

"Well..." responds Globalconfusion somewhat apologeticly "I hate to say this Mr. Wyvern, but actually I'm kind of a powerfull dictator in the making... I haven't quite reached the heights you may want me to obtain yet..."

"Ah..." grumbles an obviously disappointed Wyvern, ditching his plans of making the tax collectors union bow down to him and turning the state of New Hamsphire into a mega-harem. "Well, in that case your application is..."

At that moment, Wyvern hears a knock on the glass window of his office and notices Jechum standing outside, making him a "slanted hand moving across the neck" signal as a warning not to use bribery as a judgment...

"... ACCEPTED!"

OOC: On a more serious note, GC, a very good application and certainly ACCEPTED. I'm glad you managed to get over your block and write an app, welcome to the Pen! If you could post your e-mail here or send me a mail at elitwack90@hotmail.com, then I can get you the password info. Thanks! You can feel free to continue your application, if you'd like to form it into a story, BTW...

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 3/24/02 12:26:20 am

Guest Brute3

I very much like the tale you've begun. Please continue. It looks to be a noteworthy addition to the collection of stories in here. You may want to re-post it over in the Assembly room, though.

Please, please continue.

Brute

O Drunken One