The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Thought I'd apply

(Conversion confusion, this is the second post in this thread)

Hello, Chamelea.

If you are trying to join, it may take Wyvern (the guy/dragon in charge of initiates) may take a while...but don't start bugging him.

I AM THE MOST IMPATIENT ONE, NOT YOU!

Personally though Wyv, I give her my stamp of approval.

CiodenDarkeye

Page of The Mighty Pen

Guest chamelea

I see you want a writing sample to apply. I provide:

An Introduction to Chamelea

The door slowly opened allowing dusk's oppressive light to carefully spill into the dank room. The assortment of oil lamps haphazardly placed on the tavern’s wooden tables permeated the air with an acrid reminder of the evening's rapid onset. Throughout the room, the tradesman and travelers were excitedly spinning their tall tales of bargains and finds. They had obviously adjusted to the stench of oil that now assaulted her cool nostrils. They also didn't appear to notice as Chamelea entered the room and hung her dark cloak over the nearest bench.

This was her favorite part of the day. She would again have a chance to temporarily unburden her mind as well as her body. Although she would never admit to it, she was physically tired and severely needed rest. Just this day, she had already walked from Magmar, which was three towns to the west. This was more distance than most would cover in two days.

Through life's many synchronous events, Chamelea had found herself in a wide variety of paying positions. At present, she was a messenger. She was perfect for the job due to her efficient traveling speed and stamina. This combined with her transcendent ability to communicate in many languages gave her the obvious advantage over other couriers and translators. Her professional services had been sought by many powerful statesmen and elders. She had demonstrated her trustworthiness and skill repeatedly thereby establishing a name of great credibility. No one during her typical travels questioned her presence anymore. Each new town she crossed seemed to quickly succumb to her pleasant demeanor and charismatic strength.

She sat down at the table alone, but not for long. As the wench poured her mead, she mentally reviewed her checklist and peripherally surveyed the room's occupants.

Guest Minta Rose

Hail, Chamelea, newborn to EZboards! Hail the soft snow of adjectives upon the world, turning everything white! I would, from the false logic that you and I are identical, guess your age at fourteen. Yet I have spun a full cycle since then, and my other personae are wedded to the same snow. It impedes authority--hence I, the naked, am the head persona of the quincunx.

Pardon me. I forget my feral duty.

(Tzimfemme scents the air carefully, eyes hooded.)

You *are* like they--a multiple, a tool of personality, appropriate to the occasion. Out of my multiplied curiosity I ask, do you know your motivators, the situations and emotions that will bring you to the surface, or can direct me to the one who knows? You are built to fit well into many-authored threads--a blessing, that, here.

I am a lecturer, but a fair one. Now it is your turn to survey me--peripherally, you said?--and inform me of who I am. Be the messenger between perception and reception.

--Tzimfemme, the Naked Mage

• 2 weeks later...

Too....much...sugar...

Waaaayyy too deep Minta.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too deep.

Cioden Darkeye

Page of The Mighty Pen

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

Ashaman - WoT - Blitz II

Council - The Hunters - Blitz II

Leisure Officer - SFV Ultima - Beta

• 2 weeks later...

Jechum floats in...

If Wyvern keeps people waiting like this I think I'm going to have to find him administrative assistant to let them know it's nothing personal. I must keep reminding myself that almost dragons get caught by the RL monster too.

Oh, ya… Minta deep real deep, wouldn’t have her any other way… Now if I could just get Honey Joe to show! Now that would be something!

Jechum floats out...

Jechum Newbie, Mage of Shadows

the Pen is Mightier than the Sword - Lore Master

Peredhil nods to Jechum and whispers in his ear.

You found someone? Jechum exclaims. Peredhil whispers some more.

And they know they have to work with Wyvern?!

bzzts pssmsb beesnstm bztst. Peredhil whispers, and then nods knowingly.

Both Peredhil and Jechum turn with huge cheesy smiles to the Applicant. The Application grows wings and flies down the short corridor to the Recruiting Office.

Thank you for your patience!

Either Melba or Wyvern will be with you shortly!

Melba returns from a coffee break, and pulls the first paper out of her box

sputters

"The date on this! This person hasn't been replied to in almost a month!!"

looks over at Wyvern

"Oh, he's grinning way too widely, I'll leave him to what ever I'm sure very innocent business he might be carrying on.

It's a very good application, but if I accept it then I'll have to put a paper with a WRINKLE into our files! I can't do that!

I mean look how neat the rest of the files are!

looks

OH NO, I forget that I haven't had time to recopy them yet!

TRAGEDY and DISASTER!!

sighs tragically

I'll have to recopy all of them.

I'll begin with this one.

Carefully stamps the ACCEPTED stamp in the middle of the ink pad, and then very precisely stamps it on the paper

Edited by: Melba at: 11/14/01 4:33:47 pm

Falcon2001 sits patiently with Chamelea at the office while Melba rapidly organizes copies of applications on Wyvern's health hazard of a desk. Chamelea had waited in her seated position for over a month, and had seen many come and go from the Pen. Falcon2001 had been encouraging her all the time of the Elder of Initiates absence, and continued to do so now...

"You know... personally..." starts Falcon2001 "I think you'd be a great member..."

Chamelea sighs.

Falcon2001 thinks for a moment, noticing he's not helping much, then murmers "You've got talent..."

Chamelea sighs again.

"Really..." begins Falcon "... you have all the qualities nescessary for a member. To reject your application would be ludicrous. I mean..."

Falcon is interrupted as an enormous cane comes from behind the office door and hooks him by the chest. The gigantic cane then pulls Falcon out of the office. A muffled cry can be heard in the distance, followed by several stamping noises...

Chamelea's sighs yet again.

Melba shuffles some papers on Wyvern's desk, then looks at her first finished application with glee. "Chamelea honey..." she says finally "You're acce-"

But before Melba can finish, a trap door opens from beneath her chair and she screams, plummeting into the seemingly endless ocean of I.O.Us that lie below the the office floor... The trap door closes behind her.

Now alone in the office, Chamelea does the only thing an impatient applicant of her nature would do: she sighs once again.

Having waited only a few minutes alone, Chamelea is somewhat surprised when the Elder of Initiates himself comes barg into the office door. He smiles, looks at his watch, then frowns and stops.

"Oh drat, I have to get to another meeting of the Terra geld society..."

Chamelea sighs once more.

Noticing the boredome and discontent on the applicants face, Wyvern quickly squirmishes the ground of his office and is pleased to find a finished application someone had dropped with the word 'ACCEPTED' stamped on it.

"Here you are..." cooes Wyvern, picking up the finished application Melba had dropped and handing it to Chamelea. "...have a good one." With that, he departs quickly for his meeting.

Chamelea looks at the paper stamped 'ACCEPTED and smiles. Then, noticing she's alone in the room once more, she lets out a final sigh.

Outside the office, Falcon2001 lays on the ground with the words 'I will leave opinions on initiates up to the Elder himself' stamped all over him.

He lets out an agitated sigh.

OOC: Excuse the horribly long delay Chamelea, you're accepted as an initiate. I enjoyed reading the excellent writing of your application, and am looking forward to seeing you post more on the public boards.

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is like one big crime: I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 11/16/01 2:07:09 pm

Guest chamelea

I appreciate the advice on patience and words of encouragement from all. I hope to learn more of everyone as our encounters continue.

I hope to expand more on Chamelea as well as my many other literary interests. I'm also anxious to 'hear' other perspectives of my writing and share my views as well.

Thanks.

Melba had spent days organizing the I.O.Us. Toward the end, she had begun burning some for light. Finally she was done.

The room looked much larger with all the papers arranged in filing cabinets. The gray metal containers stood like sentinels lining the walls from flagoned floor to vaulted ceiling, stretching out to fade from sight.

No one would cause her to abandon her post! Even her dearly departed husband hadn't forced that - Gods keep his soul. She rather hoped they were dark and Nether Gods, but what mattered was the strength and determination she'd learned.

Carefully looking to ensure no one was watching, she flew to the nearest air shaft and exited the cellar quietl