The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Hoping to Join

I'll post a poem later, lunch is almost over and I have to go...well, let's see here...

Softly slipping past the shadows

Falling on the hearts of men

In the hills and on the meadows

Clutching at the soul

Fear is nothing but itself so

Why do they fight it if that's true

I can't see the reason in there...

And then they got their head ripped off by a Red Dragon.

The end.

Okay, so the ending sucked, but I ran out of poetry fuel (Read: Sugar) half-way through, so I'll post later...C'mon, you ALL KNOW ME!

Screw it, I'll copy one I wrote a while ago, then include another one for good measure.

Screw it(Twice, mind you), I'll make just one...I think I'll make it a ballad. Three stanzas of eight lines each, and a refrain of four. It's kinda freeverse though.

Obsession

As I stand among the wicked

And I remove the darkling cloak

Wights gather 'round, seeking blood

I am guarding the stony heart

In the middle of the wasteland

Guarded by hatred and jealousy

No-one thus far hath breached the defense

I stand silent, smirking aloud

Intruder approaches, ready the fort

But I still lost the battle therein

She walked on by, her weapon kindness

Lancing the ghouls of my dark soul

Coming to the rocky heart

She laid a hand and spoke a word

I was laid bare by her nature

And my love escaped from hate

I was happy then when she spoke

And told me everything she knew

And her voice was ambrosia to my mind

The bee's sweet nectar was no compare

I floated along on wings of love

Born aloft by her sweet voice

She lives a life without me though

But waiting I shall stay alive

So men rejoice and drink your wine

The fort is celebrating life again

I sit on the watchtower and wait forever

Steadfast, my vigil, my final test

There you go, it's a beautiful tribute to someone I know...if I need to email this to you guys, could some-one email this for me? I'm using a dreamcast for internet, so I don't have cut and paste.

-Falcon2001

-Hopeful Member of TPiMttS

As an Out Of Character note, I'm going to crash your thread.

Bows to Wyvern apologetically.

I really enjoy your poetry Falcon - you have great potential.

Many of your comments reflect the insecurity that so many intelligent creatives share - seems to be endemic to the majority.

A few points to ponder:

- if you act confident (not strident, but confident), often people will consider you to be what you seem.

-With a talent like yours, let it speak for you. Then when the applause rolls in, as it will, don't tell the people that they're wrong. Just because you're good enough to envision the perfection you missed, doesn't mean it wasn't good or even great. A simple thank you is enough, a forced smile is with it is even better.

If you tell people who compliment you how wrong they are, because of how YOU feel, you are in essence telling them that they were stupid for liking it in the first place.

This is a sure-fire way to ensure all your compliments dry up quickly.

Almost as good as criticizing your work before they have a chance to do so. (It doesn't 'suck' in my opinion. Peredhil mouths the quoted word distastefully as he says it, as he finds it a non-Polite term.)

-As an Initiate, you as being considered for membership. This means to many, what you do or say will reflect on the Pen as well. On the good side of things, you aren't alone.

On the other side, good Manners demand that you pause and consider the effects and affects of your words and actions on others (us) as well as yourself. Things that mightn't matter to you matter to others.

-Sometimes one must be a friend to gain a friend, and friendship requires time, effort, tolerance, and above all, acceptance.

Welcome.

Hoping he wasn't out of line and that this will be accepted in the gentle spirit in which it was intended, Peredhil bows and exits.

Wyvern - Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

Peredhil - Thank you for showing some interest in my poetry, a compliment from you is worth it's weight in gold...wait a minute. Sound weighs nothing. And the 1s and 0s that comprised it weight dang near nothing too....but you know what I mean.

Yes, I suffer from Chronic Low Self-esteem Syndrome...or life, as I like to call it. I'll take your advice there though...thanks. I truly thought that the second one was good, but the first one was a little strange, I finished the last four lines in under thirty seconds, so I really thought it was a poem that wasn't very good...I'll try not to use the 'S""k' word anymore, I agree it's not a polite word...thank you for the compliment though, you always have been a role model to me...of course that doesn't mean much...I put Deggy down too.

Can you believe he's in my guild?

Falcon2001 rapidly paces in circles around Wyvern's office. It had been nearly a week since he had submitted his application, and there still hadn't been even the faintest sign of the overgrown lizard. Falcon2001 turns to Wyv's secretary and asks for the 253rd time:

"You're SURE you have no idea when Wyvern's getting back?!"

The secretary sitting at her desk, who had begun to become very irritated by Falcon's constant nervous questionings, turns and spills her coffee. At the same time, the pencil she was using to write with snaps in half on the parchment she was writing on. She clenches her teeth and her eyes slightly bulge out of their sockets. Applicants had been nervous waiting for Wyv before, but this was ridiculous...

"Listen..." growls the secretary "If you don't mind, I'm going to have you wait for Wyvern outside. GUARDS!"

"Wha...?" manages Falcon before being clenched by two enormous ogre patrol men and promptly thrown out the window. Fortunatly, he has the luck of landing in an enormous pile of discarded IOUs that break his fall.

Now outdoors, Falcon2001 gets to his feet, brushes the dust from his garments and sighs to himself. This hadn't been the best start to applying for membership... he doubted he'd get in now. Falcon is about to wander away from the abodes of the Pen when suddenly, a black Saddan rolls by and stops in front of the building. Two mobsters exit the Saddan and throw a bound and gagged Wyvern on the doorstep. Then, they hop back into their car and speed away. Noticing the overgrown lizard in distress, Falcon quickly rushes to untie his bonds...

Once he's been properly untied, Wyvern gets to his feet, turns to Falcon2001, and whispers:

"Thanks buddy. Listen... You never saw those gangsters throw me out of that car, O.K? If Jechum were to find out the kinds of minglings I've been doing, I'd be in deep trouble..."

Falcon nods in comprehension, then murmers "Understood... But what will I get in return?"

Wyvern thinks for a moment, then takes out Falcon's application and stamps it 'ACCEPTED'. Handing it to Falcon, he mutters "remember... this mobster business is only between you and me..."

OOC: On a more serious note: a good poem, Falcon2001. Certainly worthy of acceptence as an initiate of the Pen. You're writing shows potential, although I would recommend learning to control it a little more. Sometimes, it can come across as highly chaotic...

Congratulations, and welcome to the Pen is Mightier then the Sword. As an initiate, you should post some more stuff on the public boards. Other Pen Elders will look over your writings and decide when you will be promoted to Quill Bearer. Once promoted to Quill Bearer, you'll be sent the member pass, ect.

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is like one big crime: I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Falcon,

An English translation of Peredhil's first pointer (which, I agree, is phrased quite strangely... ):

"Act confident with your writing. It's simply better."

Please, don't even bring up the subject of your flaming of Deg on the UBBs over here. This was one of the few things that jepordised your becoming a member when I was considering your application. If there's one thing we can't STAND at the Pen, it's flaming. Please, act responsibly and don't flame anyone on these boards...

You know, technicaly Deg's a member of this guild as well. Although he hasn't shown up in oh... I would say... 4 months... (Peredhil refuses to kick ghosts out. )

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is like one big crime: I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Wyvern, it wasn't flaming. Flaming would have happened if he had gone on his merry way and kept doing what he had been doing. I was pointing out what he was doing wrong(Okay, Osama Bin Deggy was a liiiitle far, but it was funny), and it's the only time I even came close to flaming him. My and Deg are friends now, and I'll remind him to come back here (He's recently joined my guild, SFV Ultima, so I talk to him regularly).

Remember that Degenero FULLY agreed that he was going over the top, and apologized, and I said I put him down as a ROLE MODEL, not put him down with insults.

• 1 month later...