the surface growing thin before it breaks

light passing through throws truth into relief

death of the blank facade that hid the ache

and cognizance of causing others grief

the shattered pieces fall and some are lost

a vain attempt to pay the heavy cost

Signe's HomepageEdited by: Signe Green  at: 2/14/02 9:51:37 pm

*Gyr applauds* I like it a lot!

While it doesn't rhyme strictly on the page (up and drop, next and bereft, rather then lest and best, blade and glade) When it is spoken out loud, the words flow smoothly through the poem.

I also like the use of repetition within the lines.

"each drink each drought each soul drank every drop" just strikes me as particuarly powerful.

I also love how each line gives an image... I can see the shattered surface of that fascade, the hollow vessal going through the motions of life...

*Gyr applauds again*

Bhurin's mouth drops.

Dear sweet mother of pearl! A sonnet! Do my worn eyes deceive me? I do believe I have here, before me, a genuine sonnet! Most difficult and prestigious of the poetic forms!

Rushes over and kisses Signe's hand.

My dear, you do not know how much this means to me! Sonnets are SO difficult to write, and they hold a special place in my heart.

As well, this one was excellantly done (AKA forget the style for a moment, look at the content!).

Wickedly dark, my dear. I believe it's a social comment, though perhaps too specific for my untraveled mind. It's strange, but I don't feel a hopelessness here, but something equally befalling. Depression perhaps?

Fhew... You invoke complex emotions with your words, my dear. Thank you very much for this one.

Well done.

Signed-

Guest Signe Green

*smiles* sonnets are my favourite... anything else I write is a departure from the norm for me, because I used to write nothing else. I'm immensely flattered by your kind words, both of you, thank you.

Signe's Homepage

Very well done! I enjoyed the reading. AS I mentioned earlier*, for me, poetry and such is like a child viewing a stained-glass window; Admiring the myriad of colors and in awe of it's encompassing beauty, but at a complete loss to fathom the means of construction.

Brute

O Drunken One

A very evocative poem of images dealing with the parasitic nature of the narrator, and the ultimate sense of guilt and regret which comes with his viewing of the light of day... Though I had at first envisioned the narrator as a person, perhaps it is not... it could very well signify an emotion or a concept through the uses of personification. A line that may be particularly hinting towards this is when the person/thing is depicted as "a hollow vessel drained without a mark". A souless entity of some sort...

Very well written and certainly thought provoking.

*Falcon scrambles around trying to apologize, and ends up flat on his face in front of Signe*

I'm sorry I'm sorry, I have no clue how this one slipped by me...grr...bad computer.

Anyway, good grief you're a wonderful poet...err...poetess...err...whatever. Whatever it is, you're amazing at it, like really really really really really good...hmm...is it potatoess? Or Potatoe...hmm...

*Falcon walks off mumbling to himself, determined to solve the riddle once and for all.*

*A few seconds later, he hits his head on a low doorway, passes out, and forgets the entire thing*