The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Gaze of Eternity

Wyvern

Timothy coughs. "As you wish, Lord." Bloody glad-handing politicos. Small wonder they're the ones who're assassinated easily. He continues to eye Myth, and now Y'tren warily, with some small hope they found it unsettling. His gaze had that effect more often than he liked.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gyrfalcon was worried, about a lot of things. First of all, Timothy had begun to act… differently… as he became more tired. Gyrfalcon had caught part of Timothy’s look at this woman, Myth, and the calculation in his eyes seemed out of sorts with who he was.

Is this simply an effect of him being as tired as I am? Or is this something he’s kept… hidden? Gyrfalcon thought, then he shook his head, trying to wake up more. He hoped that he and Timothy could convince these two to hold off the talking bit until after a few hours of sleep.

Gyrfalcon’s gaze settled on Y’Tren, supposedly of the S'den clan. It seemed too much of a coincidence, though, that a member of the fabled clan should appear so soon after they had come into possession of an artifact from that clan, one that would lead them to the Pool…

“Gyrfalcon?” Timothy said, and Gyrfalcon returned to the world around him, to see Myth and Y’Tren looking at him, calculation in their eyes.

“My apologies… yesterday was long, and the journey did not help.” Gyrfalcon said, eyes scanning his surroundings, looking for any possible allies these two had. His eyes settled on one robed man, standing nearby and looking at the wares of a merchant’s stall, and then passed onward.

“We can talk there.” Gyrfalcon said, pointing at one inn that named itself The Broken Keg. “However, before we speak, it would be best if our companion could join us- if time is not an issue. She should be coming soon, in a half-day at the latest.” Gyrfalcon said.

Let them agree… that gives Timothy and I time to rest so we’ll be sharper.

Gyrfalcon already knew that Kaylera was already in the city, but Y’Tren and Myth most likely could not know. And Gyrfalcon already had a good idea where Kaylera would be…

Wherever there were the most books, which meant at the largest library in the town.

And, of course, a winged woman would be the source of a lot of gossip, so she’d be easily found. Uneasily, Gyrfalcon realized that that idea cut both ways- he and Timothy could find her, but so could anyone else looking for Kaylera. Still… she’d be safe for a few hours, undoubtedly.

[briefly editted to change 'Vishari' to 'S'den'. My bad, sorry.]

Y'Tren and Myth exchange glances for a brief moment, considering Gyrfalcon's request and nodding to themselves in understanding. The events of the past few days had taken a drastic toll on everyone's constitution, and all felt somewhat exhausted...

"Very well..." responds Y'Tren after a moments thought "Let's meet at the front of The Broken Keg soon after the Sun has begun it's descent below the horizon... At that point, there should be fewer crowds out and we'll all be able to think and discuss things a bit more clearly..."

The other adventurers nod and agree on this decision, and Y'Tren extends his palm to Gyrfalcon and Timothy in order to shake hands, thereby cementing the offer. While slightly hesitant at first, both adventurers shake with Y'Tren and are surprised that he has a relatively strong and friendly handshake for one who looks so aged and weary...

After they have shaken hands, the two groups depart on their seperate ways, keeping in mind the meeting time they had arranged at The Broken Keg at sunset...

Somewhere along the twisted path that leads South East from the city of Erindale to the docking harbors of Mefferius, laying hidden and secluded behind the brush of a nearby forest that strays slightly off of the central road, lies a small and peacefull pond clearing. It was once a place where nymphs bathed and deer drank, but was then discovered by adventuring parties who found it the ideal spot to rest their weary legs and take a breather...

Near the pond sits a woman dressed in the robes of a priestess, who appears to be tending to the scarred visage of a noble paladin... She gently glides a hand across the paladin's left eye, which had been recently gouged out by the swift and deadly blade of an powerfull opponent, and a slightly sad and concerned look comes over her face...

"You shouldn't take risks like that, Kraisis..." speaks the priestess in a tone filled with both loving concern and harsh scolding simultaneously "... need I remind you that you aren't immortal?!"

Kraisis chuckles a bit at this comment, despite the terrible stabbing pain still lingering from his wound "Look who's talking..." chimes the paladin, cracking a grin "If you had used the last of your magical resources to finish the half elf, then what? We'd be trapped in the blazing infernos of St. Andrew's cathedral, along with the rest of the unworthy!"

"Quiet." comes a voice from a nearby stone. The voice is neither loud nor provactive, but silences both the paladin and the priestess immediatly. The scholar Jagon, who is seated on the stone and is currently staring at the sky, tightens the yellow bandanna tied around his forehead and says:

"We were all a bit foolish in our most recent excursion... using our strengths to battle those fighting for a cause. It matters not, as our next stop is our final destination..."

"But Lord Jagon, what of the warriors we fought?" inquires the priestess in a somewhat worried voice "You saw what the one with the dark robes and evil glint of eye did to Kraisis... He could have easily been killed, it's truly a blessed fortune that our paladin is still alive..."

"My dear Celestia..." responds Jagon, cracking a typically charming grin "Have you forgotten? Our fates have been predetermined... we may experience some hardships, but our ultimate goal is certain to be reached."

Celestia goes silent, her uncertainty visibly present on her face. She mumbles something, and begins fiddling nervously with her staff.

"The five barriers have been broken..." Jagon continues, a growing confidence present in his voice and his grin slowly widening. "... Hopes have been shattered, dreams destroyed. Now, all that remains is the Pool..."

With that, the charismatic scholar lifts himself from his position on the rock and turns to his two allies, wiping some sweat from his brow. As he does so, a sparrow that was happily chirping on his shoulder flies off and decides to find peace elsewhere, and Kraisis and Celestia lift themselves to their feet.

"Come..." says Jagon, motioning with a hand and turning to exit the peacefull grove. "We still have much travel ahead of us..."

*At the Broken Keg*

Everyone is seated at a little annoyingly wobbly table in the corner

Myth, seeing that she's expected to start the discussion (she does have the goods after all) opens her mouth, but then stops and pauses. Finally

"Ok I really hate addressing people in groups, even small ones, and this corner is making me claustrophobic, but...{pause}

Well ... look at these" pulling the artifacts out from where they are secreted "don't try anything, you'd never get out the door"

passes the artifacts to the person sitting on her left, Timothy

"I don't know {pause} maybe I'm wrong, but I think you all may know what to do with these. I certainly don't.

If you all can help, maybe {pause}

I really HATE working with others I don't know, having to trust them a bit, particularly when they have different motives than I. But...

What do you have? Wanna deal?"

The young man stares at her, tight-lipped. Upon finishing her speech, she barely hears, " Motives!" escape his lips. From the deepening of his frown, she guesses rightly that it was not meant to said aloud. On returning his stare, he looks away, and over to Gyrfalcon.

No less tensely, either, Myth notes with some interest.

Gyrfalcon sat back to let Timothy and Myth duel verbally, Kaleyra sitting next to him, lost in one of her books for the moment. Still tired, Gyrfalcon found it easy to drift back and think over the day, remembering but not listening to the conversation…

The morning had been almost incongruously bright when I finally clawed my way awake. Then I realized why- it was around noon. Put it down to traveling so long, straight into the night. Ah, but I had needed that rest. I'd not mind a few more hours, but I'd rather wash up and eat.

And there is Timothy, head buried under his pillow. Heh, guess he doesn't like the sun enough to rise so early to greet it. Well, he can get breakfast, lunch or dinner, whenever he finally stumbles down.

Ahhhh, Ow! Bleh, sore muscles. Well, a hot bath will loosen them up for the day.

A long bath and a good meal later, I headed out into the city. Only one place Kaleyra would end up- where the most books where. And that meant the library. Its all in the approach on how you talk to people… and who you talk to. A common laborer or a butcher probably wouldn't know, and jawing with some strange person isn't going to get the job done. But talk to the right people- the owner of a fine inn catering to nobles, and act enough like his clientele, and it becomes easy.

And there the library is. And just opening? Geeze, these people really have trouble getting up in the mornings…

"There should be a winged woman in here, named Kaleyra? Where is she?" I asked the head librarian, and the old woman looked relieved. "You're a friend of hers, aye?" she asked, and I noticed she had faint traces of ink on her nose and cheek. Strange, but pause to cover a sneeze when you're a slightly messy writer and it happens.

"Yes, I am." I answered, and she pointed at the back corner of the library "I think she's over there- she's been here all night."

How true it was- I found Kaleyra asleep, her head on her arms, a pair of spectacles next to her elbow, as if she had taken them off to rub her eyes, and one thing led to another and into sleep. Despite that, she had closed her books and capped her inkwell… perhaps when she was asleep. The scholar is as fanatical about books as I am about keeping my sword forms sharp.

I put my hand on her shoulder and she starts awake, then stares at me before asking "What are you doing here?" I explained how the decision worked out, and she nodded briskly.

"So, I came here to find you. Lets go and get you some food, then we can come back to let you research some more." I said, and she agreed only reluctantly. I guess she's even MORE fanatical about research then I am about sword forms. Food comes before extra practice, at least for me!

We came back, and Kaleyra dove back into her research. I managed to find a book on a form of swordsmanship I've never heard of before. Too bad that it was inaccurate and full of speculation, but I'll live. You'll never convince me that people can fight with this 'rapier' though!

Well, night started falling, and that meant we had to head for the meeting place. I never saw a librarian look so relieved as when Kaleyra passed through those doors…

And so here we are, Kaleyra reading, this Y'Tren watching as I am, and Myth and Timothy sparring with words…

Gyrfalcon's facial expression never changed as he ran through the day's events, and tuned back into the conversation, hoping that the sparring would end soon and the negotiations would start in earnest.

Tim pauses to turn the artifacts over and over in hands. Gaze so intently does he, that his eyes seem to focus independently on them, first the green one, then the blue. Even as Y'Tren watches Myth carefully, Myth and Kaleyra watch Timothy's hands, and so Gyrfalcon, looking Tim in the face is the only one who notes the cynical scholar close his right eye very briefly to focus on the objects with cold blue. It is brief, but he catches it.

Gyrfalcon's war mage mind continues to whir. Hm. He's done that quite often, but I swear he's only done it when he met somebody. Odd habit, that. I wonder what he's looking at? Finally, the young man looks back up at Myth.

"Tell me, my capitalist host, why should we 'deal'? A forthcoming speech does not an honest speaker make. And we'd hate to have our time wasted." Timothy finished loftily, with what he hoped was a convincing, subtle sneer.

I have no idea where this conversation is going, he thought somewhat anxiously.

Why should you deal?

*because I have the goods*

I could snatch them before any of you stopped me, and you know it. One of you could probably kill me, but I'd sure as hell take him down. I'd like to think that Y'Tren might even help me...

Shall we work together? Aim for the well together? A truce. I'll keep hold of my artifacts and you of yours?

Taking his chin in hand thoughtfully, Tim stalled a few seconds longer, loath to speak for himself, Gyrfalcon and Kaleyra. When no response came from them, he groaned inwardly, realizing it was now or never. Waste having nearly been killed already? No. People are stupid and selfish, he knew, but their ideas weren't always.

No, indeed, something still pulled at him here, almost tangibly. He gave in.

"Well, if we're not going to contend over ownership, I should think one well will have enough water for five."

Gyrfalcon nodded silently, eyes intent on Myth, but taking in Timothy and Y'Tren as well

Finally, he broke his silence.

"Timothy has a point- at the very least, we can find the Well, working together. Seperately, neither of our groups can find the Well, and we'd no doubt kill each other off, trying to wrest the pieces from their current owners."

And lets not forget the slayers, the supposed paladin, the charasmatic one, and the priestess... they are still out there... Gyrfalcon added to himself.

The distorted twists of disbelief and concern that had marked Y'Tren's visage as Myth had announced her reasoning on why the two parties should collaberate quickly fades to one of relief and happiness as Timothy and Gyrfalcon agree, finding logic in Myth's reasoning. Y'Tren noted that Myth's statements, however outrageous they were, did hold a certain truth... neither party would be able to find the Pool without the other's aid. Of course, the aged descendant of the S'den clan would have tried a far more tactile and friendly approach... but then perhaps their aid was more secured this way...

After a long moment of silence, Y'Tren raises himself from his seat and holds his glass of ale to the air. "Excellent!" he exclaims joyfully "A toast then! To our new found partnership, here here!"

Gyrfalcon and Timothy look to each other for a brief moment and smirk to themselves, noting that Y'Tren's far more friendly approach to collaberating, while perhaps uncalled for after Myth's more somber reasoning, was never the less a welcome relief from the tension that had built during the dialogue. The two warriors raise their drinks, as do Kaylera and even Myth, and there is a brief moment of clinking glasses before the two parties recede to sipping their ales in silence... Then, Y'Tren speaks up once again:

"Very well... I think we should make haste and start on our journey early tommorow. We must first reach the docking harbors of the city of Mefferius, which is located a short ways South East of here, and rent a boat to sail out to sea... Shall we meet at the southern exit of the city at sunrise?"

When the scholar failed to look up from her reading and respond, Gyrfalcon and Timothy exchanged a quick, agreeing glance. The archmage answered Y'tren. "Yes. That's fine. We'll meet at the south gate at dawn." Only slightly hesitant, the half-elf stood and bowed politely to their new 'allies' before turning to gather his companions and leave.

Outside the tavern door, the two men turned west, heading for the warm inn where they'd rented rooms that day, both deep in thought. It wasn't until they'd rounded the corner of a butcher's shop that Timothy realized that Kaleyra wasn't following. With a frown, he put his hand on Gyrfalcon's arm to get his attention.

At the mage's puzzled look, Timothy cocked his head back over his shoulder to where a pair of tall salt-and-pepper wings were quickly disappearing into the crowd. "We seem to have lost someone."

Gyrfalcon's frown overshadowed his companion's as they both started off after her. "How much would you care to wager that she's heading to the library, again?"

Timothy smirked. "I wouldn't take that bet. I'd lose."

Oblivious to the two men trying to fight their way to her through the rush of people heading home for the evening, Kal wandered down the street with her head buried in a worn copy of The Brothers Gruff presents: Myths and Legends of Ancient Times. As she read through the 'children's tale' of "The Fountain of Wisdom", she somehow managed not to crash into anyone. Luckily, she wasn't paying enough attention to hear the curses thrown at her by the people who had to dodge out of her way.

As she stepped into the middle of the square, it hit her.

"Of course!" People all around the winged scholar stopped and stared at her as she dropped to the cobblestones in the middle of 'traffic' and set her pack on the ground in front of her. When Gyrfalcon and Timothy reached her, she was rifling through the contents to pull forth a tattered old journal.

Tim blinked down at Kaleyra, his frown deepening when she didn't even seem to notice that they were standing there. This one's practically a danger to herself! What if the men who stood over her were thieves or muggers instead of friends? The thought caused a flare of annoyance, and his voice was sharper than he'd intended as he barked, "What're you doing?!"

Kal jumped, clutching the journal to her chest as she blinked up at Timothy with wide eyes. "Oh! I-I… I didn't know you two had decided to accompany me."

"Yes, well," Gyrfalcon interrupted a bit more gently, shooting a glance at Tim, "we didn't want you to wander off by yourself, and you hadn't told us where you were going, Kaleyra."

The Avian blinked, a bit surprised. It hadn't even occurred to her to mention that she was going back to her research. As she gathered her pack and her two books back up, she offered both of them a contrite look. "I am sorry. I was simply so engrossed in this collection of human folklore!" As if that explained everything, she offered the Brothers Gruff's book to Timothy with a bright smile.

Timothy scowled at the book, considering the misleading 'clouds and rainbows' presentation of life in such sugary children's tales. "Great. Lovely. Now, let's get out of the street and somewhere safe." He eyes scanned the crowd and the rooftops as he grabbed the young woman's arm and started away.

"But--… I--… The book! I —"

"We can talk about it at the inn, Kaleyra," the human interrupted, striding all the more purposefully with her in tow. His expression was a mixture of annoyance, worry, and wariness.

Behind them, Gyrfalcon trailed along, keeping a watchful eye on Timothy's strange behavior, but silent so long as he wasn't really harming the scholar. When she glanced back at him beseechingly, the half-elf merely shook his head slightly. "No, he's right. We've got a day of travel, tomorrow, and you need to rest. You didn't sleep much last night, remember?"

In answer, she frowned, trying hard not to stumble as Timothy kept a brisk pace. "Yes, but… but I wanted to inform you of –"

" Not here!" The words were ground out between gritted teeth as Timothy squeezed her arm painfully. He watched the crowd, glaring at anyone who dared to look their way. "I swear, for an intellectual, you're incredibly bloody stupid!"

When the annoyed glare swung to the woman beside him, it was met by a tragic look of surprised hurt swimming in big, stormy-blue eyes. Timothy winced, his anger deflating like a water skin with a split seam. He could sense Gyrfalcon's disapproving glare boring into his back. He felt like a heel, but at the same time he certainly didn't want the Avian blurting out all of their secrets in the crowded streets.

Kaleyra lowered her troubled eyes to the cobbles and walked meekly beside the historian, clutching her oldest journal tight to her chest. Stupid. I'm stupid? N-no one's ever called me stupid before. But… But of course, he's right. We're endeavoring to be secretive, and my vociferous announcements of my findings in the middle of the street would have sabotaged that effort. She sighed, her shoulders drooping even further. Timothy is right. I am stupid. I was so proud of deciphering the Veil's mystery that I didn't think about what I was doing. Stupid…

She crossed the rest of the short distance to the inn in silence, her thoughts distracted from the fascinating use of the Vishari Veil for the first time since she'd seen it. It wasn't until they were seated in Gyrfalcon's room, the door and windows firmly shut, that she raised her eyes from the ground and spoke.

"Um… According to my research, this relic is known as the Vishari Veil," she muttered, carefully unwrapping the crystal statue as she pulled it from her pack. "It was created by the Vishari eons ago to reveal the island that is home to the Pool of Eternal Reflection."

At her offering, Gyrfalcon gingerly took the falcon into his hands, turning it over as he examined it. "'Reveal the island'?" he queried, glancing up at the scholar.

Kal nodded, dropping her gaze to the book of children's tales as she opened it. The page she offered to her two companions showed a small, half-transparent island appearing in a sparkle of magic. "Yes. Um… you see, to protect the Pool, the island was hidden sometime in the past, concealed by an elaborate illusion that fools not only the eyes but the senses as well. They… uh… they say that not even the most accomplished mages can sense it without an artifact to direct them. I haven't found direct evidence, but I believe that there were two such artifacts created, one by the S'den and this one, by the Vishari."

Timothy looked up with a sharp frown. "You mean, there's another statue out there that our new 'allies' could get ahold of?"

Blinking, the scholar didn't meet his gaze but instead kept her eyes on the tattered journal in her lap. "Well, possibly, but … um… as I stated, that's only my own theory. It's probably incorrect."

"If they had any leads to another artifact, they'd never have dealt with us, Timothy," Gyrfalcon pointed out gently. "I'd say that we don't need to worry about that.

"So you know how to use this Veil, right, Kaleyra?" He carefully handed the crystal back to her as she nodded.

"I… um… well, I'm relatively certain that I do. The key was buried in the children's tale that arose from the historical events." She ran her hand tenderly over the Brothers Gruff book, her expression warming just a bit as she muttered, "There's often more truth in cultural myths and legends than anyone realizes."

After a moment, her attention returned to the statue in her other hand. "The Veil must be used within a certain optimum distance of the island and in certain light conditions. Er… but most importantly," she continued, wincing a bit with the knowledge that what she was about to say sounded very strange, "it must have the correct song sung to it. Um… I don't suppose either of you sing?"

Uncertainly, she looked up at her companions...

Gyrfalcon restrained a smile, amused by Kaleyra's actions. She seemed to get so wrapped up in her world of history and ideas, research and knowledge, that she forgot the world her body had to live in. But, he admited to himself, that same detachment from 'reality' as most people considered it allowed Kaleyra some unsurpassed insights. Gyrfalcon knew that he himself would never have looked through a book of children's tales.

Gyrfalcon's thoughts were interrupted as Timothy's eyebrows drew down over his eyes. "Sing a song to find the island? We're going to trust a children's fable now? That is the stupidist-"

"Shut up, Timothy." Gyrfalcon said, a general's snap in his voice, fueled by his anger as Kaleyra's face started to fall at Timothy's words. Kaleyra's ego was fragile, and Timothy had been snapping at her a lot more often lately... Timothy swung around to look at Gyr, his anger reined in a bit, but not gone. "Listen, Gyrfalcon, there is no way a song could be used for magic!"

"Really?" Gyrfalcon said, and recalled a spell.

In a soft voice, he began to sing.

"A song of war, heart of fire,

blazing, burning, quickening intensity

on this alter, this pyre

I give into the propensity

to hate my enemy, burn his soul

destroy his world, boil his blood

death comes before debt paid in full,

and my wrath moves like a flood

the song of fire, the call to war

the cold hand of Death, knocking on your door..."

Between his outstretched hands, mana gathered, began to form into some unholy combination of fire and death magics. Gyrfalcon let the song die down, and opened his eyes to look at Timothy, the fireball dissipitating with the breaking of the song.

"Suffice to say, music, songs and singing are more then enough to call on the mana. There are whole cultures where the only way to use mana is to sing it from the ground and the sky.

Gyrfalcon gave a half-smile as he turned his head to look at Kaleyra "I don't know if I'll be able to sing it correctly, but I'll be willing to sing. Also, I wish to compliment you- I doubt any of the rest of us would have ever found the clues to how to open the way to this island. It was only your intelligence and ability that gave us this key." At his side, Timothy muttered his appologies for his words before, and likewise praised Kaleyra's skills.

Kaleyra nodded and offered a small smile, confidence returning, even as she blushed under their compliments.

"Well, um... I don't have the entire song translated just yet. I'll go and finish the translation, and you can have the original and the translation in a few hours." Kaleyra said as she started to get up, hand already moving to her belt, where a pen and a small capped container of ink hung. Gyrfalcon stood and gently rested his hand on Kaleyra's shoulder to stop her.

"You'll have time on the boat to finish the translation, and I'll have time to study it. Dawn will come too soon for my liking, and we should be rested before the journey. I think with our new companions, it is best to be as alert as possible. Lets go to sleep, and leave translations for tomorrow." Gyrfalcon explained.

Timothy nodded, both at the need for sleep and the need to be alert with their new companions. Gyrfalcon was beginning to worry about Timothy's paranoia.

Kaleyra started to argue, but her large yawn defeated her attempts, and she decided that, just once, perhaps personal matters, little details such as sleep, could come first.

Timothy and Kaleyra made their goodnights, and Gyrfalcon wearily sat on the bed, and removed his boots. Kaleyra popped in quickly to gather up her book and journal before hurrying back to her quarters, and with a weary sigh, as muscles relaxed, Gyrfalcon slipped into sleep.

Waiting until he was sure the half-elf was asleep, and then waiting another good hour without hearing Kaleyra-sized footsteps in the hall, Timothy carefully swung his legs over the side of his bed and tiptoed gingerly past his softly breathing comrade.

Once down the stairs, the young man made his way to the common room and found a table. It was done easily enough; not even the owner was up at this time of night. Alone at last, he let an expression of such utter dejection flood his features that it might have moved a snake to tears. Burying his face in his hands, alone in the dark room, he silently cursed himself, his companions, their enemies, and the world.

Gods, if any of you are listening, what have I gotten into? I saw it, help me, I saw it all in that instant. And if they find the pool, it'll happen again, won't it? If only I could believe such horror would be cleansing, if only...

So many think ever of only themselves. And when that bright, rare, shining flame is lit, that one that loves others... It's snuffed brutally.

If only she didn't have eyes like Sulette's.

Sunrise upon the city of Erindale... As the first rays of light begin flooding the city streets and the earliest peasants begin awakening and going about their daily routines, Gyrfalcon, Kaleyra, and Timothy meet up with Myth and Y'Tren at the southern exit of the city, as they had planned the previous day. Due to the string of recent stressfull events they had encountered, one would expect that the heros would be fatigued... yet this was far from the case. The beautifull morning sunshine and the pleasant chirping of birds made this appear to be an ideal day for traveling, and the thought that they had finally gathered the missing pieces to the puzzle that comprised the secret of the Pool was both exciting and invigorating. After having greeted one another casually, the adventurers waste no time in heading off on their journey South East to the city and docking harbors of Mefferius...

After having peacefully traveled together across the verdant feilds adjacent to the large forest of Trenlock for some time, a disturbing thought suddenly occurs to Timothy. The historian briefly clears his throat, then decides to ask Y'Tren:

"Y'Tren... you mentioned yesterday that we'll need a ship once we reach the docking harbors of Mefferius... How are we going to procure one?"

Gyrfalcon, Kaleyra, and Myth all consider this statement, and then nod in order to enforce Timothy's question. A grin spreads over Y'Tren's face, and he responds:

"You needn't worry... I have connections to important people in Mefferius. We should be able to get a ship in less then a days time..."

Any worries previously felt are dispelled by this statement, and the adventuring party travels on for the rest of the day confidently. When night has fallen, they find a convenient clearing which seems to be the ideal spot for camping, unaware that Jagon and his two allies had rested at this same clearing previously... Taking different shifts throughout the course of the night, the adventurers rest comfortably under the starry moonlit sky...

Elsewhere...

In a seedy tavern located somewhere in the poorer districts of the city of Mefferius, as the hands of a dusty antique clock slowly tick towards the time of eleven thirty, a charming young scholar sitting at one of the tables adjusts his yellow bandanna and lifts himself from his seat. He then briefly signals to his two allies, who are seated at other tables, and heads towards the tavern's exit. The allies, a paladin and a priestess, nod and rise to their feet, following the charming scholar figure out the door of the tavern and into the moonlit streets. As they exit the tavern, they pass a 'Wanted' poster which has all three of their faces on it... had there been someone else in the bar at that time of night, perhaps they would have noticed a ressemblence. The news of the descriptions of the culprits involved in the church burnings had spread like wildfire... Not that it mattered, as the three of them were planning on departing this evening...

Swiftly, Jagon and his companions Kraisis and Celestia make their way to the city harbors, where Jagon had reserved a ship the previous day. Normally, ships were not available for rent on such short notice, but the person in charge of the harbor had taken an instant liking to Jagon and decided to make an exception for once. Never the less, with 'Wanted' posters of them now posted on every other street wall, it was imperitive that they depart as soon as possible...

Having reached the docks of their ship, the shady group begins to head towards their vessel when suddenly a "halt!" is cried out from an area nearby. Jagon and his two allies stop in their places as they are suddenly surrounded by the lantern lights of lightly armored figures which appear to be approaching them from all directions. The local guard...

"Stay where you are, you are surrounded!" cries the voice of the leader of the pack of guards, who is marked by a distinctive gold badge embroided on his chain mail and a holy cross dangeling around his neck. The leader of the guards raises one of his hands and several of his surrounding men immediatly @#%$ their bows, aiming them directly at the three wanted fugitives...

"It's hopeless, you blasphemers!" yells the leader of the guards "Your tyrany ends here... How dare you take so many innocent lives and desicrate our churchs in such a matter?! You shall be publicaly executed!"

Simultaneously, Kraisis and Celestia both begin to take action, but they are immediatly stopped as Jagon halts them.

"Kraisis, Celestia..." mutters the scholar "... you need not waste your energy here. There is no need for mindless bloodshed..."

"You will come with us immediatly!" continues the leader of the guard as Jagon reaches to the back of his head and unties the seams of his yellow bandanna. The bandanna floats carelessly from his head down to the ground, stopping peacefully on a board of the dock.

"What are you waiting fo-" shouts the leader of the guard before being interrupted by the sound of a guard's cry. This is followed by the sound of another guard's scream, followed by the sounds of several bows being dropped to the ground and guards running as fast as their legs can carry them away from the harbor... The leader of the guards is left in confusion for a moment, then takes a good look at Jagon and goes completely pale. Abandonned by his other guards, the leader is too frightened to even run and instead slowly backs himself up against a wall of the dock, stuttering madly.

Jagon slowly approaches the leader of the guard, followed by Kraisis and Celestia. Now on the verge of sobbing, the leader desperatly holds out his cross and manages to hoarsely whisper:

"Dear Lord... What in the name of God are you?!"

Having reached the leader of the guard, Jagon smiles and gently lifts the cross out of the leader's hand, giving it to Kraisis and responding:

"In the name of God... I am your destiny."

With that, Jagon nods to Kraisis and begins heading back to the vessel they were originally destined for with Celestia, picking up his yellow bandanna and tying it back around his forehead on the way there. Kraisis stays behind for a moment in order to slam the guard leader into the wall and stab him in the throat with the long end of the cross, not even giving him enough time to let out a scream before ending his life. It was a shame they had had to resort to murder after all... but while the other guards who were frightened away wouldn't remember a thing of what they saw, the leader who had stayed behind most likely would have...

With that, Kraisis accompanies his allies as they board the vessel Jagon had reserved and prepare to depart for the Rainbow Vale in the pale moonlight...

• 4 weeks later...

Dawn broke over the small clearing in the woods, sending sparks of light dancing over the still waters of the small pond and bringing its warming touch to the blanket-wrapped figures of the sleeping travelers. Sitting silently beside the waters, Kaleyra watched as the red-tinged sunlight creeped over one stirring bundle, revealing the gently-pointed ears of a half-elf where they peeked out from under the fabric. With an amused smile, she lowered her gaze back to the journal in her hands to finish her entry as her companions awoke.

… while we traveled yesterday, and so I have nearly completed the translation. Of course, I have already memorized the original Vishari lyrics, since it is unclear whether the artifact recognizes the words or tonal sequence of the song. I believe that my research will allow us to be prepared for any eventuality, provided that the Veil's key is indeed the Vishari Gebet des Mondes as indicated. I fear the consequences if I am in error.

In the burgeoning light, the young Avian lay her quill carefully across the page, sparing a moment to pull her spectacles off and rub her eyes. The thought of failure, of dooming her entire culture to extinction, made her stomach roil in dread.

So many lives, so many dreams, so much rich culture… all hinging on my actions. And that's just the Avians. Even Gyrfalcon's kingdom relies on me. He relies on me… Kaleyra closed her eyes against a sudden, intense wave of anxiety, biting her lip. Not for the first time, she wondered why she had been chosen, among all others. Heroes must be courageous and powerful and wise. Saviors must be special, charismatic, worthy of admiration. I am none of these things… Why was it me?

The thought danced around as it usually does, bouncing from insecurity to insecurity with no answer until she determinedly shoved it away. She knew from experience that she had no right to be so important, but she knew too that she had even less right to fail those who needed her. Rational or not, she was the one given the burden and the knowledge to fulfill this quest. Like it or not, she could never allow herself to abandon that responsibility.

With a sigh, Kaleyra swallowed the anxious nausea and turned her attention back to her journal.

Time will reveal my successes and failures. Meanwhile, I find myself increasingly anxious to arrive at this human harbor city and begin our sea voyage. I have started to sense an irrational but compelling conviction that time is somehow running short…

Far to the east, Jagon stared over the wooden railing of the vessel, his gaze on the distant horizon as the sun slipped free of the sparkling waters. He could feel his destiny approaching,

Within the pocket of his grey cloak, his fingers gently stroked the cold surface of the treasure that would reveal it to him.

… and that danger is closer than we realize…

With narrowed eyes, Myth watched the winged woman scribbling in her book from across the clearing. She suspected that the information the scholar had on those pages could be very valuable, and she considered again the possibility of removing it and the statue from the dramatists' dead hands.

I only hope that today's journey goes quickly and that we can reach the Pool before disaster reaches us.

As the Sun begins rising over the hill crests and shedding it's light over the various tents parked by the peacefull pond side clearing, the rest of the adventurers slowly begin to awaken. Stretching, yawning, and wishing each other a good morning, the five heros decide to pack their belongings and immediatly continue onwards towards the docking harbors of Mefferius...

Though the Sun shines brightly down on the lush green plains on which the party travels, and a gentle breeze prevents the heat from becoming overwhelming, the adventurers cannot help but to feel a certain sense of dread as they march on... Kaleyra is not the only one worried about the possible outcomes of the quest, as their entire journey had turned into somewhat of a chaotic fiasco after the burning of Saint Andrew's Church outside of Erindale. The three mysterious villains responsible for the burning seemed remorseless in their blasphomous actions, and Jagon's intentions still remained completely veiled in mystery.

Gyrfalcon and Timothy, in particular, seem deep in thought as they press on... How had they managed to misjudge Jagon in such a manner? He had seemed like a devoted good soul when they had met him before the burning of Saint Andrew's Church...

By the end of the day, just as grey clouds have begun gathering in the sky and blocking out what would have been an otherwise beautifull sunset, the adventuring party arrives at the gates of the city of Mefferius. They are surprised to find no guards there, despite the recent news of the identity of the church burners spreading across the continent... As the five heros head into Mefferius and begin heading down it's central street, they begin noticing something strange...

Mefferius seems unnaturaly quiet.

"Strange..." mutters Y'Tren, stroking his beard "I would have expected more noise... It's far too early for people to sleep..."

There is the faint sound of a hollow echo as Y'Tren's voice resonates over the silent city streets. Gyrfalcon frowns and nods to Y'Tren's statement.

"We had ought to get a boat immediatly..." mutters Y'Tren. "The sooner we leave the eeriness of this place, the better. Follow me..."

It begins to lightly drizzle rain.

Y'Tren covers his head with part of his cape as he swiftly leads the party through the winding and seemingly empty city streets, his knowledge of Mefferius shining through his excellent sense of direction. Passing through a side street and not noticing a pair of mischievous eyes carefully watching their every move, the adventurers finally arrive at the docking harbors of the city. They are shocked to be met by a group of guards standing watch over the area... perhaps some of the only people out at this hour. A guard slowly walks up to the party, stepping in one or two puddles and cursing along the way, and exclaims:

"If you're looking for a ship, I apologize to inform you all that the docks are currently off limits... There's been an horrendous murder here which we believe may be connected with the culprits responsible for the burnings of churches. Strict regulations that noone is to rent a ship, let alone set foot on the harbor, for at least another week. I'll have to ask you to leave..."

An enormous frown spreads over Y'Tren's face and he turns to the other adventurers, whispering hoarsely:

"Another week?! There's no way we can wait that long... especially not with news like this! Jagon must have already been here... What shall we do?!"

Gyrfalcon glanced at the guards, then shook his head "I could try to speak to them, and use my authority... but it'd mean that my cover would be blown, and my kingdom is a long enough way away they could tell me 'no' the same as any other traveler."

The half-elf stopped for a moment and considered the guards, then shook his head and continued on quietly to the group. "Actually, I'd rather we talked to their commander, if we could. If they disobey a direct order and let us through, they would be court-martialed, and I'd rather not ruin their careers, or their lives, or, in an extreme case, their ability to continue to breathe."

Gyrfalcon looked around the group "So, unless one of you has a better idea, lets see if we can use sweet reason on the commander of these soldiers to let us set sail sooner then a week from now."

Y'Tren grins and nods to Gyrfalcon's statement, whispering back:

"A good idea... perhaps the leader will know a righteous band of heros when he sees them."

Clearing his throat and getting the attention of the guard who had made the announcement, Y'Tren speaks up:

"Good sir, may we meet with the leader of your regiment? We have urgent matters to attend to, and a boat is of the utmost importance to us!"

The guard considers Y'Tren's words for a moment, wiping some rain from his brow, and then speaks up again:

"Certainly... if the matters are very important, I'll contact the leader of the guard and see what we can do..."

As the weary guard heads off to get his captain and the five heros pray that said captain will be able to make an exception, nobody notices a mischeivous shadowy figure stealthfully sneak along the harbor and board one of the parked vessels...

After a short wait, the adventurers are greeted by a man with a dark black beard and tired eyes wearing a small gold badge that symbolizes his position of leadership and authority. The man takes a long look at the three adventurers and thinks for a moment.

"So... ya need a boat eh?"

• 1 month later...

"Yes, Commander. Our mission is of the utmost importance, and we must set sail with all haste." The old man, Y'tren, watched the leathery-tan face of the leader of the guard hopefully, quietly willing him to understand.

"Hm. Aye, I'm sure ya think so." The man rolled his eyes, setting his fists on his wool-clad hips. "Let me tell you lot somethin'. I've got me a squad of patrolmen who cain't remember the first thing from last night, an' an officer found dead this mornin'. My men don't take kindly to being magic-waggled, an' I don't take kindly to murder. So. This dock is closed until I find me some answers, an' unless the fate of the world hangs in the balance, I ain't openin' it up fer the likes of you."

Y'tren frowned, an expression closely mirrored by Gyrfalcon as he stepped up beside the old man, speaking up. "Commander, please be reason—"

"Lissen, here," the Mefferian interrupted, his eyes narrowing on Gyrfalcon. "Can ya honestly tell me that the whole flippin' world is gonna end tomorrow if ya don't set sail right now, mister adventurer? Can ya?"

Gyrfalcon was left no choice but to stare in silence at the human's angry expression. As important as the Pool was to his own kingdom, Kaleyra's people, and even to that mysterious Dreamer that had been with them before, he knew that their failure would not doom the world. Most people would never know of this quest, let alone whether they had failed or succeeded. The half-elf lowered his eyes, tasting defeat and a hint of despair.

"Ha. I thought not." The unnamed commander huffed, his defiant gaze traveling to each member of their group in turn. The dark-haired human man glared back, annoyance and a sort of satisfaction in his eyes, as if he didn't like the answer but had expected it all along. The half-elf watched the cobbled street at his feet, thoughts whirling behind his eyes as he sought another way to convince the guardsman. The old man looked pained, his gaze fixed on the distant horizon where water met sky and his thoughts hidden in the depths of his old eyes. The human woman's gaze burned with rage, her fists clenched tightly. He thought that she looked as if she was considering the ways in which she could have him dead within ten seconds, but he shrugged the resultant chill aside. And finally, the quiet, winged woman standing behind the rest looked strangely at ease, her expression one of serene concentration.

Intrigued by this strange reaction, the commander let his eyes flicker back to hers – and there they froze, caught in a trap of steely blue. To say that what happened next was 'against his will' would be inaccurate. More appropriately, it was against his will's initial state, for suddenly his thoughts were fluid, his conscious self-determination a soft, malleable thing that was being subtly and gently shifted, shaped by intangible hands. In the space of a heartbeat, in the eyes of a stranger, his mind was changed for him.

Kaleyra released him, feeling her gorge rise. The horror she felt at herself, at the disgusting and abusive thing she had just done, was unaffected by the thought she kept repeating to herself in her head. It has to be done. It has to be done.

Her distress was so great that, for a few terrible heartbeats, her throat closed and her vision blurred. As unobtrusively as possible, the Avian closed her eyes, one hand lowering to lean against the packing crates beside her as she silently forced air into her lungs. She prayed silently that anyone who saw her reaction would assume it was distress over the man's earlier refusal...

During Kaleyra's reaction, the Commander had paused, his brow furrowing in a frown as his eyes returned to Gyrfalcon's lowered head. "Wait there. Look up, would ya, half-elf?"

Surprised, the mage raised his gaze, a question in his eyes. His surprise turned to embarrassment as the Mefferian exclaimed in shock and pleasure, "Why didn' I see it before, eh?! Yer that famous mage, Gyrfalcon, aren't ya?"

Taken aback, the half-elf could do nothing more eloquent than nod.

"Well, why didn' ya say so in the first place? If you're along, then it's gotta be important, huh?" The man slapped him on the back of the shoulder so enthusiastically that he stumbled a step, wincing. He tried his best to respond.

"Well, it –" He didn't get very far.

"I know you lot didn' have anythin' to do with Mefferius' problems, that's fer demmed sure, so there's no harm in ya settin' sail. Gettin' a ship outta the harbor will take away a place fer the culprits to hide, too." Nodding, the Commander rubbed his chin. "Yeah, I got the perfect ship fer ya. It's a freelancer, an' the crew's been growlin' at me to let 'em set sail since this mornin'. She's fast little bird, an' tough as a nail. This way."

When the leader of the Mefferian guards turned and walked off down the docks, he left behind him four very, very shocked adventurers. Gyrfalcon, blushing in embarrassment, glanced around only to find himself facing all the astonished faces of the guardsmen as they stared at him. He winced, and offered his comrades a pained grimace and a shrug.

"My name gets around, it seems. Even down here."

Timothy blinked and picked his jaw up off the cobbles. "I… guess so."

A quiet voice sounded up from behind them. "We… have what we required. We shouldn't loiter here when we can be making the final arrangements." With a dead-blank expression pasted on her face, Kaleyra stepped from the back of the small group and started walking after the Commander, her eyes very carefully avoiding her companions. Y'tren and then Myth fell into step with her, their boots clicking softly on the stone street.

As Gyrfalcon shrugged and walked after them, his skin only just now returning to its normal shade, Timothy found himself frowning, his eyes on the rigid line of the Avian scholar's back. He recalled the non-expression in her eyes and the dead tone of her voice, and his brow furrowed. With his first steps in his companions' wake, he muttered to himself, "Now, what was that…?"

Gyrfalcon25 wrote,

Gyrfalcon strode after Kaleyra, lost in his own thoughts. He responded absently to the guardsman trotting by his side, answering his tentive questions only partially. Had he ever fought a dragon? Was New Muriska really a haven for half-elves everywhere? Was he really THE Gyrfalcon, he had heard that Gyrfalcon was seven feet tall and magic danced around him with his every step...

Mostly, Gyrfalcon focused on the strage shift in the watch commander's attitude.

One moment, No, no, and no, and I don't care who you are, but you are not getting a ship until the investigation is done.

The next...

People might know of me down here, but... my reputation certainly isn't great enough to command such instant respect... and for that matter... I think I'm only known by face in New Muriska. Why would he suddenly recognize my face?

Gyrfalcon shook his head at his own thoughts, then refocused his attention as the party approched a sleek sailing ship, its captain and first mate standing at the bottom of the gangplank, looking somewhat angry.

"So, are we finally to leave,or do we still enjoy the hospitality of this fine port?" The ship's captain asked somewhat sarcastically as the party and the captain of the watch stopped in front of him.

"These adventurers have a great need for your ship, Captain Wallace, and must leave immediently on an important journey." the still unnamed guard captain said.

"Do they? Well then, on to the negotiations. What will you pay for this journey, and if you win my service, where are we to go?" Captain Wallace asked sharply, eyes assessing each member of the party.

Wyvern00 wrote,

Spitting rudely to the ground, Captain Wallace reaches into the tattered left coat pocket of his navy vest and pulls out an old piece of chewing tobacco, tossing it into his mouth and knawing on it impatiently while waiting for the adventuring party's responses to his questions. Pointing to his sturdy looking vessel and winking to some of the crew members standing on the upper deck, Wallace exclaims:

"That there's my ship, the 'Lunging Lobster' as me and my crew have affectionatly grown to call her. Braved a number of storms, she has... Don't let her name fool ya, she's a very fine piece of work, and trips on vessels of this quality certainly don't come cheap."

With that, Captain Wallace and his first mate look to each other and grin simultaneously. At the same time, Gyrfalcon and several others in the adventuring party frown...

"How much money would you consider sufficient payment...?" grumbles Timothy after a short silence, eyeing the captain and his crew warily.

Wallace spends a moment in mock consideration, rubbing his bearded chin excessively and staring up at the night sky while his first mate and several crew members snicker to themselves in glee. The captain then begins pacing back and forth, and finally says:

"Well... there's the charge of riding a vessel this strong, the charge of eating amongst me and my crew, the charge of our changing courses and destinations, and a few additional charges for manual labor and navigation. I think that an appropriate payment for one such a voyage would be..."

Captain Wallace grins sinisterly and points a single dirty finger at Kaylera.

"A night with the lady for me and two of my boys sounds fair... you'll pay for our manual labor with manual labor!"

As a gale of laughter resounds from Captain Wallace and his crew, Kaylera and several of the other adventurers grimace and cringe in disgust at the statement. Gyrfalcon is about to angrily speak up when Y'Tren suddenly pushes himself to the front of the crowd, a calm yet somewhat determined look on his face.

One look at Y'Tren, and all of the merriment in Captain Wallace's face vanishes in an instant.

"Greetings, Adrian" says Y'Tren calmly, smiling slightly at Wallace and brushing some dust off his robes. "It's been quite a while since we last ran into each other, but I see you obviously haven't changed much."

"Y-Y-Y-Y'Tren!" manages Captain Adrian Wallace, taking several steps back as a horrified look comes over his face. Noticing that the fun of the evening has come to an abrupt ending, the rest of the crew get back to preparing the "Lunging Lobster" for departure...

"For payment, Adrian, I think our company would be more then enough..." continues Y'Tren, grinning a bit more as he advances closer towards Wallace "...don't you agree?"

"I-I-I"

"This is also going to be a special journey, Adrian... I will steer the ship and navigate with the help of my companions, much like I have in the past. Where we happen to be going is none of you or your crew's business, do I make myself clear?"

"Y-y-yes..." mutters Captain Wallace, frowning and slinking back into the ship. "Do as you wish..."

With that, Y'Tren walks into the entryway of the "Lunging Lobster" vessel, beckoning to his adventuring companions to follow him.

• 1 month later...

After the other adventurers have boarded the vessel and the crew have made their final preparations for departure, the ropes bounding the "Lunging Lobster" to the grimy city docks are undone. The sturdy ship slowly sails away from the eery and unnaturaly silent atmosphere of the Mefferius harbors and gradually gains speed as it moves out onto the vast Ocean of Nargoth, heading straight in a South-Eastern direction through relatively calm ocean waters. Y'Tren, whose countenance depicts a mixture of consuming fatigue and zealous determination, steers the ship while Kaylera and Timothy help with the navigation. Gyrfalcon and Myth, in the meantime, help the rest of the crew by aiding them in other tasks essential to managing the ship...

From the moment they depart from the harbors, it is quite apparant to the adventurers that they do not seem to be on very good terms with Captain Adrian Wallace and his crew. Although Wallace constantly obeys Y'Tren's orders and he and his crew seem to treat the adventurers with respect, there is an underlying tension in the air that makes things somewhat awkward and uneasy. Wallace and his crew show friendliness to the heros, but it is an artificial sort of friendliness... Then again, when a highly respected captain is discharged from his honorable position for a journey, some bitterness is to be expected on the behalfs of him and his crew...

Despite the tense atmosphere on the vessel, the first two days of the journey pass by very calmly. The ocean weather is cold and misty, which causes navigation to become a bit more difficult, but apart from this minor inconvenience the ship sails along nicely. On the third day of the journey, much to the delight of the adventurers, the mists part to reveil a beautifull sun and golden-blue sky. Several gulls let out their calls as they fly by overhead, and everyone seems to be in high spirits...

Y'Tren smiles to himself as he breaths in the fresh morning air and gazes at the sunny streaching ocean ahead of him. Turning his head to Kaylera and Timothy, he grins and mutters:

"Well... it's about time that fog parted. With this kind of weather, we should be able to reach our destination in a matter of days."

Timothy and Kaylera nod to this statement and procede to read out the next coordinates, unaware of an unnatural silver flash that momentarily surfaces on the water nearby before submerging again...

Further down on the deck, Gyrfalcon sits near the edge of the left end of the boat, briefly taking a moment to admire the beauty of the weather and the water rapidly passing below. A seagull quickly flies on board and lands next to him, curiously looking him over before departing to the air once again. Following the birds path, Gyrfalcon's eyes are diverted to the water passing below him, where he suddenly notices an unnatural occurence. A large streak of silver passes directly below the surface of the water, shining brightly due to the reflection of the sun. It takes Gyrfalcon's eyes a moment or two to adjust to the light before he realizes exactly what the silver streak is...

Large Scales

Suddenly aware of the imminent danger they are in, Gyrfalcon quickly rushes and shouts to warn the other adventurers. He has hardly any time to do so, however, as a gargantuan silver sea serpent suddenly rears it's head from out of the ocean and lets out a deafening roar...