The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Overheard Conversation

Snypiuer

I was at a gas station when I heard this conversation today:

*Customer hands clerk a stack of lotto play slips and the clerk runs them*

Clerk: O.K., that will be $160.00.

Customer: *Pays*

Clerk: Thanks, here you go. *Hands slips, tickets and receipt to customer*

Customer: Thanks . . . wait, these are Mega Millions, I wanted Powerball.

Clerk: I'm sorry, those are the ones you gave me.

Customer: Can I change them?

Clerk: No. I'm sorry. We can't refund lottery tickets once they're paid for. Powerball is a separate lottery, so you would have to pay again.

Customer: Why? I don't want to pay double.

Clerk: You still get to keep your Mega Millions tickets. But, once you paid for them, those tickets are in the Mega Millions system and the store is responsible for paying for them, no matter what. If we refund your money, we still have to pay Mega Millions for them.

*Customer has the clerk call the store manager and has a long conversation where, it's obvious, he's told the exact same thing. One thing, the guy was obviously upset, and he still didn't yell or talk down to anyone*

Customer: *To clerk* Thanks, what time do you stop selling for Powerball?

Clerk: You have to get all of them before 9.

Customer: Thanks. *As he's getting his stuff together and leaving, he's on his phone* Hey, I got them, but I used Mega Millions slips . . . no, they can't refund or switch them . . . I'll explain it when I get home . . . yeah, I'm going to get more money and get the Powerball tickets before they stop selling.

This guy then gets into a custom-built reverse-trike car, like a Slingshot but I think it was a Vanderhall . . . maybe. All I know is, as I pay my $30.00 for half a tank of gas, because that's all I can afford right now, I think to myself, "If I could afford that car and $320.00 for lottery tickets, I'd do the exact same thing. Good for him. Hope he wins something, just not the grand prize - that's for my one $2.00 ticket I already bought!"🤑🤑🤑