The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Paper cut

jonadine

I cried today after the 20th time I had to put hand sanitizer on my paper cut. 

I just ended up going into the bathroom to sob.

I did not cry when I admitted the pregnant woman with severe COVID pneumonia, and thought it was good we were treating with steroids, so the lungs would be mature if we had to cut the baby out

I did not cry when we used the last heated high flow machine, and started using the duct tape and tubing

I did not cry when I saw that the ICU was full of ventilated patients under 50, and statistics tell me a third of them will die

I did not cry when I had to transfer the patient out of the ICU to die, I was glad I had room to move the intubated 22 year old out of the ER

I did not cry when the 65 year old grandmother of 6 told me the reason she did not get the vaccine was because she was scared of side effects.  She could barely talk because she was so short of breath

I did not cry when I told the terrified teenager that she could skype her mother from the hospital, but no, she could not have visitors

I did not cry when we used the last ventilator

I did not cry when they told me the panel making rationing decisions was formed

I did not cry when the childrens hospital began to fill.  The last wave we had two pediatric patients, Total.  This wave we admitted 6 yesterday.

I cried because the paper cut hurt, every single time I went into a room and every single time I came out.   

• Like 1