The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Eyes Without Faces

As Ordolar ties his horse, he intentionally uses a knot which will not hold, and whispers to the horse, "Let's not let them know everything just yet, they may think I'm mad if I tell them, but if the zombies return, just break free and run."

You don't have to tell me, I know what you're doing. I'm not stupid, you know.

"As I am reminded many times a day."

Ordolar then takes his equipment, strapping his smaller shield to the larger, takes a pack of food, and begins to march clatteringly along the trail. He calls to Kikuyu and Wyvern, "Come along, we don't have much time!"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kikuyu stared at the orc-knight as he thundered into the woods and felt a blood vessel somewhere in her forehead throb. She could not directly explain the expression on her face, but Wyvern patted her shoulder consolingly and gingerly as if she were too hot to touch. "For Dego," the ninja gritted. "We need as much help as we can for Dego...maybe if I just punch him once or twice..."

"Now now," Wyvern said smugly. "It'sssss actually your fault he'ssss with ussss. I tried to create a diverssssion ya ssee."

Kikuyu rubbed a hand over her face and started off into the woods behind the orc. Surprisingly, the noise from his direction had immediately silenced and only by quickening her pace and catching view of his armor through the leaves did she notice his presence at all. "At least he knows what he's doing," Kikuyu muttered. "No one tells me to 'come along'..."

The orc had stopped and was looking back at them. "What is this? Surely not one of the zombie's affects." He held something bright in his hands.

Kikuyu snatched it away and her breathing stopped. It was a necklace of black string, attached to which was a silver pendant of swirls. The ninja gripped it so tightly that one of the sharper spirals dug into her palm and a drop of blood fell to the floor. "This is Dego's," Kikuyu whispered. "For her to lose this..."

"Sssshe had to have been preoccupied with ssssomething elssse..." Wyvern said darkly. Something akin to anger flashed behind the Almost-Dragon's eyes and Kikuyu tucked the necklace into her shirt. She twirled a throwing star on one of her fingers and lengthened her pace until she was jogging through the trees. Wyvern and the orc fanned out a few paces to the left and right of her. Even if the wind had not been jostling through the forest, they would not have made a noise to an onlooker.

As the group walked deeper into the woods, the darkness grew deeper and deeper. Eventually, despite daylight having come above, it was as dark as night in the forest.

Sir Ordolar whispered, "Be wary; this darkness can only be magical. I've heard that some Undead need the dark of night, and others are stronger in it. Be on your guard."

The strange trio made preparations: Kikuyu checking the straps of many weapons, Wyvern took out a bag of miscellaneous Almost Dragonic weaponry, and Ordolar took a hand axe from its place strapped behind his large shield, explaining "If I draw my sword, it will bring light. Such can only draw attention to us."

A small patrol of zombies shambled past, and Ordolar was obviously restraining himself from breaking cover to destroy their vileness. Kikuyu reminded him not to jeopardize the mission, whispering "The Necromancer would know if these fell."

Ordolar nodded, and replied, "It angers me to see such evil unopposed, but for the greater good I will be patient. Time enough to clean up once the Necromancer is dead."

A few minutes later...

"Stop," Ordolar whispered.

"What isss it thisss time?" was Wyvern's reply.

"By Aasharam's gift, I sense a greater evil nearby."

Kikuyu said, "Well, what can we do about it by waiting here? If there is something, we'll notice either the smell or the sound before it notices us."

Suddenly, a batlike creature leapt upon Ordolar, trying to bite his neck. Fortunately, his armour protected him from the sharp fangs. He shoved at the creature, but while thin, the creature was tremendously strong. An axe blow also did little to harm it. The last vestiges of bat wings disappearing into its sides finally showed the truth. "A vampire!" Ordolar reached for his holy symbol, and after a few moments of struggling with the vampire, he brought it out. The vampire retreated, hissing, then leapt at the more distant Wyvern.

Walnut proceeded to avoid combat when possible, quietly walking along, carrying his sword belt and "If Found Return to Walnut" bag around his red fur-covered wolf neck. Every few minutes he would come across the severed remains of undead soldiers. He was still following the trail of the ancient smell, still just barely hearing the deaths of these walking corpses. His empty left eye socket itched beneath his purple eye patch.

"I wonder what is happening to this place. The keep seemed so vibrant when I arrived, nothing like it is now.", Walnut pondered to himself.

Suddenly, a familiar scent caused the fur on his neck to stand straight up, as an ominous shadow fell over forest. The smell of the winged creature fueled thoughts of bloody murder in Walnut's usually calm and relaxed mind. Only one creature had ever caused such a feeling. It was hereditary. Where his family comes from, the scent of a vampire was enough to drive many into a killing frenzy. Instinctively Walnut's body shot after the shadowy form. His four limbs sped through the woods, slowing gaining on the speedy foul undead.

The daylight had died, slain by the foul sorcery to give this creature the darkness it needed. As he continued after, towards the keep, he caught wind of what could only be the smell of a few pennites. The vampire was headed straight for them. Faster. He had to run faster. He heard the faint sound of fang on steel and saw the knight, in what would be shining armor, push it off. As it flew towards the almost dragon he was on it's tail and he hurled his crimson fur covered body at the foul creature, fangs bared.

Edited by Sir Walnut Reginald Trouble Clamhat

Kikuyu was lunging towards Wyvern, a hand outstretched to grab the tail of the vampire, when a small-ish red bullet shot from the foliage, teeth snapping. She yanked her hand back with a short gasp as the red creature- fox? wolf?- snatched at the vampire with its teeth. A small purple eye-patch covered its left socket, and a very purple bag hung swinging around its neck.

"In all the seven Oasis Oceans..." Kikuyu breathed. She sniffed, shifting her olfactory system using her fey to that of a fox. The sharp odor of the vampire, her companions, were all overwhelmed by this new...whatever it was. Magic stung her nose and she sneezed uncontrollably. "Quiero!" she snapped angrily, and stepped back to watch the duel with watering eyes.

Degorram gasped and shook herself as he head hit her knees for the third time. She was exhausted. Her body ached literally all over and her head was pounding. With a sigh she rested her forehead on her knees and looked at the Necromancer from the corner of her eye.

His eyes were closed, his face peaceful. The control he held over his soldiers had not encountered any major conflict yet, which meant they hadn't reached the Keep. There did seem to be some minor interferance, however....every now and then the corner of his mouth twitched. Perhaps they were just getting tangled up in the woods. Degorram doubted it.

So the fighting, in a way, has already begun, she thought. She closed her eyes and prepared to sleep, just for a little while.

The Necromancer moved. Degorram snapped her head up and looked intently at his face. He had opened his eyes and was frowning at the surrounding forests, as if puzzled. Then a slow smile spread across his face and he looked down at Degorram. "How precious," he said softly. "It seems they've sent a rescue party."

Rescue party? Degorram thought. Surely Kikuyu wouldn't draw from the Keeps forces to come after me. Unless... A slow smile spread across her face as she realized the two sides to the plan.

"Beware the wings that sleep at night," she growled, wondering even as she said it what it could mean. The riddle had leapt unbidden to her tongue.

The Necromancer frowned, a chill running down his spine. The words were familiar....he'd heard them long ago in a dream. No, it hadn't been a dream, but a vision.

A vision........

This is no longer a game, he thought, narrowing his eyes at the shadow of the forest. It is time to stop playing with my food and simply kill it. He again glanced down at Degorram.

Degorram stared back into his eyes and shivered. Something had changed in his eyes.

Walnut slammed into the vampire's lithe form with bone shattering force. Well, bone shattering for a regular man. The foul creature barely seemed fazed as he grabbed the wolf by his forepaws and tossed him like a toy. Within seconds Walnut was back on him jaws snapping at the beast's throat. The feral rage that had fallen over Walnut was blinding, his mind almost gone. His body was fighting on generations of instinct. He threw himself at the vampire over and over again but to no avail. He needed to regain control of himself.

Luckily, well somewhat at least, the creature threw Walnut straight into a large tree. The pain was a jolt to the cerebellum, raising Walnut's mind back into the forefront.

"Ouch. That really hurt.", Walnut lamented.

What he actually said was just a garble of growls and barks. He needed some help. And thats what he got. The large knight had been waiting patiently for just the right moment as he brought his own strength to bare upon the unsuspecting creature. Excellent, Walnut thought to himself, I really needed a moment. Walnut then scurried into some cover and rapidly changed back into his human form, limbs disgustingly shifting into position. He stormed back into the fray, blades drawn. But, he forgot one important thing...

He wasn't wearing any clothes.

Knowing that an axe would be harmless to a vampire, Sir Ordolar dropped the weapon and grabbed the monstrosity by the throat, holding it back from biting anyone, but the vampire struggled with incredible strength, and the knight was thrown all around the area, colliding with a few trees occasionally. Still, he held his grip, not letting the vampire gain the freedom to use its superior agility (or its teeth) in combat. Still, Sir Ordolar was beginning to lose his hold, when suddenly a pink whirlwind of steel emerged from the darkness, hacking and slashing at the creature. This soon proved to be ineffective, but still distracted the vampire long enough for Sir Ordolar to say, "Get a wooden stake or some holy water! It won't die to a blade!" Then, the vampire resumed thrashing, this time trying to hurl the orc into the dancing blades of Sir Walnut. However, Walnut's skill was more than sufficient to strike at the vampire without hitting the heavy, armoured form.

Meanwhile, Kikuyu and Wyvern searched for an effective weapon for vampiric destruction, but could find nothing in any of their bags, until Wyvern said, "Could the orc'ssss water bottle be holy?"

"It's worth a try."

Suddenly, Sir Ordolar and the vampire were both drenched, but the vampire merely shrieked, then continued thrashing. The water also made the vampire more slippery, and suddenly Ordolar flew several metres, landing in a tree with a crash. Now it was vampire against werewolf, and the vampire was not just strong, but fast as well. Only the incredible swordsmanship of Sir Walnut held it back, and at any moment the vampire would leap past those dancing blades...

Sir Ordolar groaned in pain, then sat up. His head still ringing, he began to rise, knowing that he was needed.

Suddenly, Kikuyu took up the orc's fallen axe, and began chopping at a nearby tree branch.

Walnut rushed at the beast as the armored knight held it by the throat, a storm of blades, but could do little but annoy the foul thing. The two presumed pennites searched through the knight's belongings and and suddenly the knight and vampire were both drenched. The now slippery vampire hurled the heavy knight through the air. It was all Walnut could do but keep the creature at bay while the others formulated a plan.

Kikuyu made quick work of the branch, and was speedily sharpening it to a point. They only had mere moments before Walnut would lose the vile creature's attentions.

"If you could please hurry, milady!", Walnut politely shouted,"We seem to be steadily approaching the extent of my skill!"

Just as Sir Walnut's defense was about to fall, there came a roaring shout. This proved the last straw, distracting Sir Walnut, and the vampire leaped forward... only to be intercepted by a juggernaut of steel. The vampire was slammed against a tree, pinned between two branches. For all its strength, the Undead creature could not push past the huge shield forcing it against the tree, since Sir Ordolar had his footing firmly on the other side, leaning hard against it. An awful screeching began, as the vampire tried to tear apart the shield with its claws, but the shield held up under the pressure. The vampire tried to climb over the top, but Sir Walnut stuck his blade into the tree above the shield, and the vampire could not exert enough force to remove it. Still, Sir Ordolar was sorely tested by the might of the vampire, and his wits were not yet fully recovered. In the darkness, it was hard to tell exactly how firmly the orc could stand against this might...

Suddenly, Kikuyu stood beside him. "The stake's ready. Stand aside and I'll stab it."

"If I move, the foul thing will escape, and there'll be hell to pay! See if you can find the heart from the side!"

Kikuyu did so, and suddenly it was over. The nightmare creature was now nothing more than a pile of dust, but who could say how many of its kind yet remained?

"We must take the stake with us." said Sir Ordolar.

"What, in case there are more?"

"No, to burn it. The soul trapped in the vampire is now trapped in the stake, and only in burning it will we free that tortured being. Striking another vampire with the same stake will not kill the vampire, but merely bring back the slain one. My reading in the Order's small library told me this."

With the monster dead, exhaustion began to sink in, along with a realization. The whirlwind of steel was pink because... The group all looked away (despite the darkness being too deep to really see anything), and Sir Walnut went behind a tree for a few minutes. When he returned, Sir Ordolar had brought out what looked like a large piece of sandstone. He broke it into four pieces with his hands, handing one to each person. Then he said, "So, werewolf and steel whirlwind, what would your name be, and what brings you to this dark wood?" He then bit into his piece of the object, which was obviously food, and not sandstone after all.

The bush behind Kikuyu that Ordolar had handed a piece of the sandstone-ish food to rustled a bit, only to grow two horns before a meek reptilian voice chattered:

"I-i-isssit gone yet?"

Kikuyu rolled her eyes a bit and reached out behind her to pat Wyvern's head for a moment, calming the almost dragon. Wyvern stuck his snout from the bush and looked both ways, then promptly scampered out and began stuffing the pieces of his quarter-built Almost Dragonic Brand Make-It-Yourself Garlic Cooking Kit™ back into his utility pockets. The overgrown lizard ignored the glum looks of the rest of the hunting party as he crammed the grill of the contraption into one of his back pouches.

"What? It ssseemed like a good idea at the time!" Wyvern grumbled and kneeled down next to the vampires ashy remains, scooping up a clawful and stuffing it into his pockets for future marketing endeavors. "Besssidesss, things started getting way too dangerous once the water started comin into play, y'know how I feel about that stuff."

Wyvern let out a long sigh and stared at his piece of sandstone-ish food.

"Y'know, it may boggle yer mind to hear this, but knowing that Dego isss kidnapped out there has kinda made me lose my appetite. If anyone wants seconds on this dry food supplement, you're welcome to this piece... I even have some pepper if ya wanna add a lil flavor to it."

Wyvern set the sandstone food down next to Ordolar as Sir Walnut Reginald Trouble Clamhat continued to introduce himself to the orc. The reptilian Elder paced back and forth a bit, eager to move on and find Degorram, occasionally darting behind Kikuyu as the sounds of owl hoors and rustling bushes.gave him the jitters...

A branch of medium thickness bent above Sir Walnut The-person-sitting-up-there-didn't-overhear-the-rest-of-the-titles as he shook the creases out of his pants. Leaves rustled in the descent, more than would be necessary for any airing-out of crumpled clothing.

"Make it plain to Kikuyu Black Paws," said the naked woman crouching in the elm, "that _she_ will _not_ be breaking anyone. I cannot make the point myself without slipping into a rage. . .and why," she broke the locked gaze and shifted it to his pants, "are you bothering with those?

"Never mind," continued Tzimfemme. "I'll be patrolling. Keeping my head clear. Finding where Minta's gotten herself to, because there are far too many undead for her to have not shown up somewhere. Small. Purple-headed. NOT the enemy. Finally--next time, save some of that vampire's blood, this is thirsty work!"

These zombies were hard to keep hold of! Minta squirmed on her tummy behind a log and peeked out through the branchy end. A squad of animal zombies flowed past the log, like a mixed herd of dead predators and prey, jostling against one another's bodies in the struggle to keep upright. Nope, not that mostly skellie tiger, is almost certainly too willful. Nuh-uh, don't want that tiny zombie squirrel, it's not tough enough. But on the far side of the herd, not in an ideal spot but good enough, was a skellie BADGER! THAT would be able to take some abuse! The gnomie crossed her fingers, crossed her toes, and babbled out a few words of a spell, and it caught!

The skelliebadger pet turned against the flow of zombies, making a beeline towards Minta. A fleshy deer zombie shuffled into the obstruction, tangled its hoof in the badger's pelvis, and wrenched loose of its forelimb as it fell. As the skull tumbled and pinned that zombified squirrel to the ground in its unbroken horn's tines, the rear of the deer stumbled sideways, upsetting two more skeletal deer. Those, in turn, thoroughly blocked the pathway. Some of the more agile undead could crawl up and over the pile, but slower ones like those grounded zombified birds were stuck--

"Skelliebadger TEAR THEM UP!"

--and easy to slaughter. Minta reinforced the skelliebadger with more incantations, for faster clawin' and harder bitin', and even risked drawing the attention of the undead herd by whipping her arm out sideways, flinging a potion bottle. It broke against the skelliebadger's opponent, but the magically enhanced chilli oil splashed onto her pet and began to sear the mouths of those zombies now attacking her pet in a fury. Zombies melted into skellie-mouthed creatures; skellies cracked in the heat, then shattered as they bit with relentless pressure. Minta tucked herself behind the log, as still as possible, and released her hold on the skelliebadger, but the fight between toughened mindless undead and mindless undead herd did not cease. Just behind the initial barrier of fallen zombified deer, which by now had struggled to the feet of what legs remained attached to them, rose another and less temporary barrier of twice-dead undead. Minta really wanted to go take a peek at her handiwork, but it wasn't safe so long as she could hear the bones snapping and grinding. . .

"Oh my...", Walnut let out with a gasp.

It was not a situation he had expected, and he took in the words with the utmost care. And he made sure to apologize for possibly ogling. He just couldn't stop staring at her throat, it was wondrous.Then he finished up putting on the purple slacks he was holding. Then he realized one of his worst nightmares.HE. HAD. FORGOTTEN. HIS. TOP HAT!!!!!! This was terrible. The entire ensemble was ruined without the glorious purple top hat. How could he fight undead minions without a top hat? It was so, uncivilized.

As Walnut stepped out of the brush with a glum expression on his face he sheathed his blades, He turned to everyone and asked, "Which of you is Key-ku-you?"

The ninja turned her gaze to him, so he passed on the message from naked female vampire he had meet in the woods, with a slightly confused look.

"What exactly have I gotten myself into here?"

"I see.", Walnut nodded as the others informed him of Dego's situation, "Well, we really mustn't dally then should we, this Degorram is in trouble. I will not stand by while evil threatens my new home and neighbors."

A large grin cut across Walnut's face. This was one of the interesting things to happen since he had let the Disc. How exiting. The hair on his neck was still standing up, the smell of the naked vampire still not having completely dissipated. Walnut pulled some gloves out of a pocket inside his jacket and slid them on. He really missed his top hat. He hoped it was okay, but there were other thing that needed seeing to so he couldn't go searching for it. But he really wanted to.

Just as Sir Walnut is about to get up, Sir Ordolar gulps down a mouthful, and says, "Wait. After that fight we all need some time to recover. I know it's hard, but we'll do Degorram no good if we get ourselves killed, and fatigue will make that likely. Oh, and do try this travel food, it may not look very appetizing, but it's surprisingly tasty, and it keeps forever, which is why it's still available when the recipe was lost a century ago."

After a brief rest and meal for those who tried a bite of the travel food (which was actually considerably better than many non-travel meals), the group moved on. As they began to move, Sir Ordolar spoke to Sir Walnut; "The title "Sir" usually applies to either knights of holy orders, or to nobility. Which would pertain to you?"

"Oh, um, I... My family is nobility, of course. The Clamhat's have been in the upper echelon of society for many generations. Yes, I'm nobility.", Walnut said while trying to crack a convincing smirk., "On that subject you to must be of some knightly order no doubt."

Walnut half listened to Ordolar hearing him explain the interesting circumstances in which he became a knight. He was mostly anxious to venture forth and save the damsel... or the person in trouble. It got his heart racing to know that some one needed help but this was different. This enemy was foul and needed to be dealt with. And Walnut wanted to help. It was the noble thing to do. He really missed his hat though. He felt it helped people accept the sir title. Who else but nobility would where a top hat?

A strange smell wafted through the air and caught Walnut's attention.

"Are there more members of the keep out here?"

Ozymandias frowned. Ghouls circled round him like frustrated hunting cats, slavering.

No, that wasn't saliva. I hope that's only ichor., the old Pharaoh thought.

He spun his spear around in a solid arc, optimistically aiming once again at eyes and knees. Again, the unliving but agile creatures danced out of the way, widening, then quickly tightening the circle again.

Good, the Loremaster reasoned. They're very hungry. They haven't eaten in quite a while.... He thrust forward, throwing his one hundred and eighty-five pounds into the strike. It struck home in the xiphoid process of the ghoul in front of him. The spear point sank almost completely into the gangrenous flesh.

The ghoul was wrenched to a halt, but did not fall, held in place as it was. It looked down at the offending weapon, wrapped taloned fingers around the shaft, then looked at Ozymandias again. It hissed its defiance. The rest snarled low in their throats as they stalked closer to their prey. With a smirk, he twisted the spear. It didn't move.

Damn... he thought, smile fading.

Edited by Ozymandias

Now would have been a good time for a warrior to enter with a blood-curdling screech to slam the ghouls off the spear and free things up for better movement. Unfortunately, there were no blood-curdling screeches or bellows of any sort.

Instead, something very small and black darted from the trees, followed by something purple, and then followed by something much like a juggernaut. Ozymandias recognized the tiny black movements that were Kikuyu's attacks-- unseen to most everyone, Ozymandias had once caught Kikuyu by the legs when she was sneaking past his window.

As he impaled and decapitated the ghouls around him, Ozymandias took in the other attackers. The one in purple was lashing about like a wild thing, very quickly. The juggernaut merely slammed a truly ferocious hatchet into any ghoul close enough.

There was something coming through the trees...something scaly...was that-- Wyvern!?

A faint yell of surprise turned Ozymandias' head. Kikuyu had been grabbed from behind, a ghoul's leering face turning on a broken neck towards her cheek. Several ghouls had her by each of her limbs, pulling her in every direction at once. The ninja's face was growing whiter. Something snapped like a thick branch being stepped upon and she screamed, her cheeks turning slightly green.

Ozymandias charged forward, face pale with rage, his spear humming.

Edited by Kikuyu Black Paws

Swinging the point upwards at the last moment, he planted the blunt end of the weapon into the ground behind him, and used it as a vaulting-pole to deliver a savage kick to the neck of a ghoul with its back to him.

The creature did have a basic structure as similar to a human's anatomy as the Egyptian had hoped. It's neck snapped in two, the head lolling backwards across his foot for the briefest of moments before all the thing's muscles went slack and it collapsed in a heap.

Ozymandias rode the creature to the ground like a skateboard, already dropping his spear and drawing his sword. The Loremaster hit the ground almost spinning as he attacked with blade, fist, and knee. Every strike drove with terrific force straight over the ensnared ninja who was still being pulled through the air. Like any predator confronted by a competitor, the ghouls were loath to relinquish their meal, even when threatened with death.

Three stumbled away under the force of the onslaught, but did not drop. The fourth ghoul fixed hate-filled eyes on the Loremaster and howled with rage as its arms fell limp at its sides. Its triceps had been severed.

Kikuyu was free!

Ozymandias stepped back, and sheathed his sword. The creatures regained their footing and rushed at him, snarling and snapping; the three able-bodied ones with talons flexing in anticipation.

Bizarrely, he spoke to them. What truly took the Pennites aback was hearing all of his normal etiquette with no warmth whatsoever. "I don't know if you can hear me, grave robber, but if you can, know this-", he said evenly.

The things were so enraged, they charged straight over the prone ninja without slowing. Their teeth and claws descended for fingers, arms, neck- and they stopped, literally dead, each with an identical sword point jutting from their chests.

"Never touch my people.", he finished, as four other Ozymandiases let the corpses drop to the ground before beheading them.

Edited by Ozymandias

Sir Ordolar slammed his hatchet into some ghoul ribs, shattering bones, and drew back the axe to find the head missing, and the wood of the handle broken. Then he heard the screams. He tossed away the broken handle, then drew a massive, 7-foot sword one-handed, and light burst into the woods. Undead creatures scattered, then turned back to tear the light source apart, but the huge orc knight was already lumbering toward the source of the screams...

A group of perhaps ten ghouls and seven zombies stood in his path. Five seconds later, the group was scattered, with three already crumbling to dust, and another impaled by a branch, which it was slammed onto by a large shield.

Charging so quickly, Sir Ordolar could not hope to keep his heavy sword in check one-handed, and suddenly he jerked to a halt. His sword was halfway through a small tree. The endless Undead ranks came marching slowly nearer...

The four extra Loremasters were not there when the group glanced back to them.

The lone Ozymandias raised both hands toward the six undead with strange canisters in each of his hands. With an odd thwip noise, each discharged a gray goo that quickly spread out in a fanlike formation. Upon connecting with the targets, the spray rapidly hardened into a lumpy webbing that secured the creatures to each other and to the ground. They pulled, and pulled, but were stuck fast.

"If you would destroy them, Sir Knight?", Ozymandias asked in the same icy calm.

Edited by Ozymandias

Walnut fought the foul undead fervently, felling many. Then suddenly a blinding light filled the woods. The orc had drawn his blade, culling the herd of ghouls with sure, powerful swings of the sword. The ghouls fell in groups of two and three, the brilliant metal cleaving through them like, like something that cleaves very well. Walnut noticed several more strange men now, all similar in appearance destroying the abominations. The ninja had been freed from their cold strong fingers.

Walnut deftly dodged and stuck, a charging ghouls eyes losing the hate fueled flames as it dropped to the ground. They were large in number but lacked the true ability to defeat the pennites. Suddenly, Walnut smelled a foul twisted odor, like sewage mixed with hunger. His attention fell upon the fallen ghouls as their masses were absorbed into a dark gelatinous mass. The monstrous ooze took in the fallen bodies, it size increasing with each body it devoured. Walnut beelined for it hacking at with his blades. Every lump he severed squirmed to the fallen corpses taking in their gangrenous flesh.

"Oh, my. This is not good for me. Could I get some assistance please!!!", Walnut shouted politely to his cohorts., "Pretty please!!!"

Hearing an end to the screams, Sir Ordolar looked to their now-visible location. Seeing the now unconscious Kikuyu, he yanked his sword so hard that it tore down the tree it was embedded in, in defiance of all reasonable expectation. Shouting "Aasharam!", he charged through the ranks of the enemy, scattering and occasionally destroying foes. His heavy boots caused more harm in that charge than his blade, but now he controlled the sword with both hands (despire his shield), and no more trees impeded his progress.

The ensnared undead around the Loremaster were soon sliced neatly in half, and then the orc heard a call for help. He lumbered off towards Sir Walnut, then saw the slime. He slashed at it with his blade, but although his sword crisped the edges, the globs so made were every bit as nasty as (and much larger than) those made by Walnut's measured slices. He muttered "May the Lord of Justice grant me some insight into a weakness of this creature", but his prayer was not answered. Realizing that he could do nothing against the slime, Sir Ordolar shouted, "Destroy the undead, then we'll come back to this! It's too slow to stop us!"

The knight then charged off to smash more skeletons, cut open more ghouls, and take apart several zombies. His talents were well-suited to this somewhat lesser task.

Walnut was getting worried. Sir Ordolar had taken his chances with the undead goop. When he couldn't defeat it he lumbered off to slaughter the would-be attackers with his blade. Every body he dropped was slowly taken into the quickly growing mass. As it's size increased the bones seemed to reposition themselves inside the vile jelly. The bits that had been cut off were rejoining with the original mass. As it rolled into the trees smoke hissed off, the acidity of the ooze melting the organic life it touched.

Suddenly, the many bones jutted out in a long pseudopod, reaching for the closest living thing...Walnut.

"Not good, not good", Walnut mumbled to himself, "It really shouldn't be able to do that right? That's not supposed to happen, am I right?"

All Walnut could do was keep himself out of harms way and hope someone would be able to deal with the now multi-limbed gelatin.

Ordolar ran over to the Loremaster, and said, "I see you wield magic. See if it can harm that slime! I can deal with these lesser foes." He then grabbed Kikuyu by the shoulder, hauling her one-handed up into a tree beyond the reach of the long dead.

Charging off once again, crushing all undead in his path, the orc soon arrived at a tree with a lizardlike figure hidden in it. "Wyvern, have you an antislime tool?"