The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Help Me Find Something!

Orlan

I'll admit it, I'm a fan of fantasy.

I read a lot, I mean a serious "a lot". I bought Jim Butcher's Latest Captain's Fury after work on the Tuesday it came out and was finished by bedtime...my usual bedtime :P I devour a good book, and my favorite, by far is fantasy. Unlike some of my "fantasy snob" friends I did NOT start with Lord of the Rings or Narnia...I instead started by going to a B.Dalton with my mother looking for some more reading material to occupy my bored ADD mind. Fortunately the guy who helped had read some books of his own and pointed me to The Diamond Throne by David Eddings. Honestly, thinking back on it, this was the best thing that could have happened to me. Eddings had, at that time, two quintets and 1 and a half trilogies out. They didn't stand a chance, and, after reading these, I figured out what I like about fantasy, the "gather ye forces" aspect of it. The big casts of characters, each with thier own specialties. The Warrior, thief, cleric...let's just say I played a bit of table top when I was younger...and I liked that too.

So, along those veins I took up to other authors. I hopped over to Terry Brooks (I read all those by going to my local library...if you have a local library and are yet to be a member, do it now. Libraries are fantastic places to try-before-buy, and, even if a paperback is 8 bucks, it's good to know if you'll get your money's worth) and sent through more shannara then you can shake a stick at. Went through Feist, those were a little strange getting into but all in all, I enjoyed them. I picked up the Wheel of Time...though at that time I was in high school, where I was terribly lonely and an horrid outcast so when the main character got himself 3 ladies who had to share his affection...and were fine about it, yeah...it passed from the realm of regular-unbelieveable-fantasy into OH-YOU-JERK-fantasy :P I read through a great deal of the Dragonlance because, well let's face it, they're right up my alley :P Table Top Game gone novel? Yes please!

I picked up Goodkind, read a few of them (I did laugh when I found out about the Wizard's First Rule though) but the lead female who's name escapes me now since I read them a long time ago, started to irritate me, so I kinda gave up on those. I'm not loyal to obnoxious characters. It was around this time that someone mentioned to me Terry Pratchett. I was a little gunshy about this since..."satirical comedic fantasy"? Oh c'mon that's BS. Well, uh, 36 Discworld books later and I'm buying the newones hardcover the day of (I keep trying to convince my young lady that we should name our first daughter Adora Belle...she's not taking the suggestion well). I would cast my vote for the Ventinari should he ever become real and run for office :P

I did hit a slump in the more recent years, but I was kicked out of that when a friend of mine suggested R.A. Salvatore's Drizzit series. I had read Salvatore's Demon Stone series a LONG tim ago but never picked up the novels he was actually well known for :P More recently Drizz has become whiny and Catt has gotten to the obnoxious level, but I'll still wait for paperbacks of those to read them. I've gone through Ed Greenwood's various series, as well as some others in the FR series. I enjoy reading about worlds I'm familiar with, which is why I like series books.

Most recently, though, it's been pick and choose. I'm finding out I've read alot of novels out there on the fantasy shelves and, unless I like Vampire romance novels (THERE'S SO FRICKING MANY OUT THERE AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!), which I don't, I'm getting limited choices. I picked up an older series that I've passed up before...Read through the Rhapsody series...uh...Fantasy and Romance....uh....uh....yeeeaaaahhh.... Though I LOVE Achmed and Grunthor...Rhapsody herselve made me want to gouge my eyes out from time to time. I can understand the heroine needing to be naieve in romance novels but there's a limit to naievete that even the basic 4 year old can pass. That being said I bought the rest of the books in the series and have them in my queue :P

I picked up the Dresden Files books, by the prementioned Jim Butcher....wholly crap did I love them. I've never been the biggest fan of 1st person (be it shooter or otherwise) but these hit a home...and that was mainly because of my basic love of fantasy...the motley crew...the "gather ye forces" type...the buddy picture of the fantasy realm. This lead me into his other series, Codex Aleria, which, like I said, I devoured the latest book. I read through Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and was WOWed by the world a "magic" system he created. The second book didn't deliver for me as much as the first one, but they still got one more to go.

Now, why this long ranting, raving, directionless and jumping-here-to-there post? I'm looking for opinions. I figure there's one or two individuals here who may...on occasion, indulge themselves in a novel of fantastical portions...I'm looking for s'more series...novels...books..stuff to read. I tend to read more in the summer (a book on the hammock = OMGWIN) but i still need to fill the icy winters with things.

So, that being said...what do you read? What do you enjoy? Where's the beef at? It shouldn't be that hard to get an idea what I'm partial too, you have any suggestions as to what I should try to pick up?

Read through the Rhapsody series...uh...Fantasy and Romance....uh....uh....yeeeaaaahhh.... Though I LOVE Achmed and Grunthor...Rhapsody herselve made me want to gouge my eyes out from time to time. I can understand the heroine needing to be naieve in romance novels but there's a limit to naievete that even the basic 4 year old can pass. That being said I bought the rest of the books in the series and have them in my queue :P

Well, I tried that series. I got about halfway through the second book before Rhapsody's irritating personality had me tearing my hair out AND gouging my eyes out. I gave up and haven't looked back. I wished the books were more about Achmed, myself. He was fascinating, especially as you dig deeper into the second book.

I picked up the Dresden Files books, by the prementioned Jim Butcher....wholly crap did I love them.

:) Aegon really loved those books, too. Have you checked out the TV series?

I can get verbose about books, so let me spare you with a list of good series and authors I'd recommend you look into:

1) Carol Berg - We have a lot of her books. As you say, many of them are in the queue. But I have read and ADORED the Transformation series. (Transformation, Revelation, and Restoration) Extremely highly recommended.

2) Barbara Campbell's Heartwood - It's a touching and interesting book. Actually, I've always been surprised by how much I liked it. On the surface, it doesn't seem like an amazingly interesting or unique plot. But the writing and the execution really make it stand out. Plus, it's a sweet story of brotherly love and devotion. It's her first book. I haven't read the second one (unrelated to Heartwood).

3) Juliet Marillier - If you like romance and fantasy and history all wrapped up together, you'll probably love her Sevenwaters Trilogy. She's an excellent writer. I have more of her books in my queue, but my mother-in-law has already read them and adored them. Also, Aegon is currently working his way through the Bridei Chronicles (starts with Dark Mirror) and loving those books, too. At the minimum, I highly recommend the Sevenwaters Trilogy: Daugher of the Forest, Son of Shadows, and Child of the Prophecy.

4) Catherine Asaro - Another great series for romance and fantasy together, as well as a really cool magic system, would be her Aronsdale books. It's a set that starts with The Charmed Sphere. There's a main trilogy and more recently another kind of side-story fantasy / romance short novel that explores the futures of a couple of the more important supporting characters. They're all love stories set in a fantasy / medieval world. Well-written, though the setting is just a little bland with the exception of the magic system, which I thought was really interesting. The characters and character development are definitely the backbone of these books.

5) Jacqueline Carey - Her Kushiel's series has got to be the most twisted and indirect love story that I've ever read, but it's absolutely fascinating. The main character is a god-gifted super sexual-masochist, "one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one." No, it's not soft-core literary pr0n. It certainly involves sexuality and sexual situations, but I have great respect for the subtle and tasteful ways in which I felt the author conveyed the reality of her main character's life without turning her book into a S&M smutfest. If you think you are the type of person who's comfortable with the pretty much constant undertones of sexual situations and manipulations (she is a 'priestess of sex', essentially), then this is a very interesting and unique trilogy to read.

6+) There are a ton of fantasy authors that Aegon reads. He's gone a lot deeper into the genre than I have, has been reading it far longer. So since I have only read a handful of these others, and often only one book, I'll just finish off with a list of authors that I know Aegon would recommend you to explore:

David Gemmel

David Eddings (Definitely read the Belgariad)

George R.R. Martin

Melanie Rawn

Deborah Chester

Piers Anthony (Phaze series, Incarnations of Immortality series)

Janny Wurtz

Jack Whyte

L.E. Modessit, Jr.

Katherine Kerr

Robin Hobb

David Farland

Neil Gaiman

... and hopefully that's enough to get you started. ;) Our library is mainly fantasy, these days, so if you really need more, I can probably dredge up a few more names and titles.

Have fun reading,

~Yui

Edited by Yui-chan

For something slightly different yet still fantasy, try the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. The first five books are very good and the next five are pretty decent. Nine Princes in Amber is fabulous.

Dave Duncan has loads of good stuff. The Man of His Word tetrology is excellent, although the follow-up quad (A Handful of Men) was not as enjoyable. The Seventh Sword Trilogy and Dodec Duology are solid, and some of the King's Blades series are excellent (notably The Gilded Chain which is where you'd want to start with them anyway).

Glen Cook has two fine series I'm familiar with. The Black Company tales are mighty fine. He also writes of Garrett, essentially a hard-boiled private eye in a fantasy setting. Fun stuff. He has penned a half-dozen in the Dread Empire series but I haven't read any of them.

Steven Brust is extremely good. The stories of Vlad Taltos (Jhereg, Yendi, Issola, Orca etc., ten or so in all) should keep you well entertained for a long time. Brust started out as a member of a Minnesota-based (?) writing group called The Scribblies and most of the other authors in that group have also published good stuff, if not in the same quantities. Look for Emma Bull, Will Shetterly, Teri Windling and a few others, notably tales written of The Borderlands. Finder and Elsewhere are both excellent modern fantasies.

The Lions of Al Rassan is one of my favorite books. Guy Gavriel Kay can really put words together. His other books are quite good: The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, Tigana, others.

Barbara Hambly has written many fine novels. While the acclaimed Darwath stories didn't do much for me, the tales of Antryg Windrose and the stories of Sunwolf were pretty good. She has a ton of other stuff I'm less familiar with but she knows how to tell a story, so fingers crossed they are decent.

Some of these authors also have extensive representation in science fiction if you ever swing that way. Summing up, almost anything fantasy by the following authors should be good:

Roger Zelazny

Steven Brust

Guy Gavriel Kay

Dave Duncan

Glen Cook

Barbara Hambly

And if you like modern fantasy, whatever you can find by Teri Windling, Will Shetterly, Emma Bull and Nina Kiriki Hoffman (not previously mentioned but very gifted).

Have fun reading some of these. I sure did.

Edit: removed excessive use of the word "also".

Edited by Disco-neck Ted

Though not a real big fantasy fan, I would still recommend A Game of Thrones by George R.R Martin and The Dark Glory War by Michael A. Stackpole

I am a HUGE sci-fi fan though, and considering your tastes in fantasy, I would suggest the ultimate classic Dune by Frank Herbert and the excellent stand alone novel Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton. Both are excellent space operas spanning large gulfs of time and space.

Oh and if your up for a little sci-fi(with heavy fantasy influence) fluf disguised as serious writing I'd suggest any of The Horus Heresy novels(all by different authors) set in the Warhammer 40K universe.

Edited by Nyarlathotep

Oooh... *gathers self* If you like what Weiss & Hickman have done with Dragonlance, go try out the Death's Gate cycle. Completely different (non TSR) setting, but great stuff, all 7 parts of it. To keep to 'tabletop-novels', I've finished the War of the Spider Queen series last year, which was a definite winner. A 6 book series set up by R.A. Salvatore but with each book written by a separate, relatively unknown author.

To switch from the tabletop genre, I can really recommend just about anything by Tad Williams. Memory, Sorrow & Thorn is a great 'classic fantasy' series, and if you can stand a hint of sci-fi mixed in, Otherland is awesome. I've just finished reading Shadowmarch, and am waiting for the sequel to be released paperback to buy it, so here's to hoping it can match the first.

For an even larger twist to the fantasy thing, I'd really suggest Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which I'd consider the biggest 'hole' on this page so far. It's... well... saying it's everything I've ever looked for in a fantasy book might be stretching it, but it goes a long way.

Well, you seem to like a lot of the same stuff as me (Brooks, Pratchett, Salvatore, Eddings, Jordan), so I'll suggest a few of my favourites to you:

The Myst series by Rand and Robyn Miller, starting with either the Book of Atrus or the Book of Ti'ana and moving on to the Book of D'Ni. (The second one I mentioned happens first chronologically and I think would have been more enjoyable to have read first, though I can't say for sure as I read it the other way). These deal with societies as well as people and how they interact, and become very... just very epic before they're through.

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay, starting with The Summer Tree and moving onward. The characters in this one are extremely realistic despite the fantasy setting into which they are thrown. They catch at your heart as they all have their own problems to work out while they figure out the bigger problems of, say, beasts running at you with slavering jaws, or a rain of arrows to your direction. After reading these I became more or less hooked on Guy Gavriel Kay - he and Orson Scott Card are my favourite authors of all time.

Speaking of Orson Scott Card. I'm sure you've heard of Ender's Game, even if you haven't read it. If not, read it - and then read the rest of the series (starting, I believe, with Speaker for the Dead). He delves into some incredibly interesting scientific and philosophical concepts, taking it very slowly, but the characters figure things out a bit at a time until by the last book they are doing fantastical things with science that you would never believe unless you followed along as it happened. It's more sci-fi than fantasy, but it's neat. There are multiple alien races throughout the (five?) books and the dynamics of humans with these races is fascinating. Of course he's got other stuff too, but this was what got me hooked.

Lastly, The Riddle-Master series by Patricia A. McKillip, starting with The Riddle-Master of Hed. This one gets pretty epic before it's through, as well. Through three books it weaves two characters through their fates. (I will warn you right now that the first book ends at a pretty big cliffhanger and the second one moves for the first time to the second character, in a different place, which is very frustrating when it happens, but maybe not so much if you've been warned - and the books are incredible despite this.)

I hope I've given you enough to decide for yourself whether these books are for you, without giving anything away. Nevertheless... I hope you try them all because they are all so awesome!

Well thanks everyone so far for the advice, seeing your lists reminded me of things I've forgotten for others who enjoy reading.

Neil Gaiman I've read a few books by him (I even watched the horrid TV series that Neverwhere was based off of...those crazy brits...it wasn't until Hogfather that I forgave them!) I've tried starting the Game of Thrones but I never really got into it. Kushiel has frightened me every time I've read the back of the book...that's a little further into deep introspective than I like with my entertainment. Carol Berg looks pretty interesting though.

Dave Duncan I had forgotten about! I've read most all of his but the Man of His Word series with Rap was one of the best I remember. Rap was one of the first character's I ever read that did things just as I would have, and it is really what it says it is...a man of his word (eh naturally there's double meaning but still). I enjoyed that series tons. The second part was so-so like you said...and the King's Blades were....eh also so-so but still enjoyable. People mention Glenn Cook alot, and I have the first Black Company book up in my library but I always seem to skip over it. Maybe I'll put some more push into it.

I tried Death's Gate Cycle but nevere got fully into it...maybe I'll give her a go again now that I'm old. I see Tad Williams listed and I think I have one of his somwhere...I really gotta finish cataloging my books.

I played through the first Myst game along time ago when it first came out. Was the first game I pigheaded my way through til I solved it. It was nuts. I have read Ender's Game, but speaker of the dead turned me off. My old roommates have read his more recent novels and say that they start to make up for the Speaker of the Dead so I may try those again.

And I saw Wicked on the stage (after I read the first book) and personally I like the musical better...but that's cause I loved the music LOL

Others I forgot about that I've read:

James Clemens is one who...well had a rough start. The Wit'ch Fire started with promise but once the main girl (in a coming of age novel mind you) ages enough so she can fall in love with one dude and it's not statutory...well...that sucked. Five books later...I finished the final book, threw it on the ground and said "FINALLY!" Sometimes I hate having to finish series that are bad. On the flip side, his new series seems to have promise (see Shadowfall).

Jennifer Fallon is another one I kinda found from left field. I read through The Demon Child Series, and thought it was pretty good, a little cheezy...and then I read through The Second Sons Trilogy...and LOVED it. Dirk Provin is freaky good.

And finally Trudi Canavan's two series. The Black Magician and The Age of the Five are both pretty good series.

Thanks again for the help all, keep adding things if you think of anything...I'll eventually read through these all :P

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there is one series of novels that kind of fly under the radar screen a bit. I loved them for the way they creatively dealt with the future earth as a magical place genre that was so popular back in the 80's. Even Terry Brooks did a bit of this with his Shanarra series.

The series I am speaking of is the Broken Lands Saga by Fred Saberhagen. Saberhagen Fantasy

If you like the dark fantasy and a spin from the normal Good Vs Evil then The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock is good twist. They read exceptionally fast. I think the longest was maybe 300 pages. But the best of Michael Moorcock to me were the Chronicles of Corum.

Ah, the Doctor has always been an avid read since the days of the Doctor's youth, all those hundreds of years ago.

The Doctor has a very complex system of rating books....they're either good or they're bad. And of course they can be easy reads (books you can't put down and spend every spare minute reading) or hard reads (books that are still good, but require a pause from time to time to digest what has happened and what has been written).

So with that in mind, here are the Doctor's suggestions....

Glen Cook - Mr. Cook has two series that rank among the Doctor's All-Time Favorites....the Black Company series and the Garrett P.I. series, both good easy reads. The Black Company series is approximately 10 books and follows the exploits of a mercenary company. The first three books of the series are the best, but you'll be hooked after reading them and want more. The Garrett P.I. series is a whimiscal romp through the world of mudane human detective in a distinctly fantasy metropolis.

Mr. Cook also has two other series which are good hard reads. The Dread Empire series starts slow but ends strong as you follow the world chaning adventures of a group consisting of the most powerful mage on the planet, a fat smooth talking con-man, a mercenary commander and a revolutionary insurgent. The other series is the Instramentalities of the Night series, the first book in the series is excellent, although the complexity of the political situation being described makes your head spin at first.

Robin Hobb - Several very good series. The Assassin series and the follow-up Fool's series are great easy reads as you follow the life of a bastard son to the throne and how he ends up as a King's Assassin. The Liveships series, set in the same world as the previous series, explores a distant merchant city and the secret of their Liveships (sentient ships that can talk). Hard good read, but worth it. The latest series is the Soldier Son series....two books out so far, but both are excellent.

Naomi Novik - She has written four books in the Temeraire series. Set during the Napoleonic Wars in Europe, the book has a fun twist....dragons, although rare, exist and are trained and used as a air support in the war. Temeraire is a young rare Oriental dragon that falls into the hands of a British ship captain. Not and easy read, but not a hard one either.

Michael Stackpole -Mr. Stackpole has a terribly under-rated series called the Dragoncrown War Saga (Fortress Draconis, When Dragons Rage, and The Grand Crusadem as well as a prequel The Dark Glory War), The Doctor can't even explain this book , other than it keeps you on your toes with all the plots twists and surprise.....just when you think you have it figured out....boom, something else happens. Most of these books were done in about 24 hours each.

Thieve's World - An anthology series with some of the best fantasy authors in the business. 12 books in the series, in which the authors write about the happens in a shared universe setting of Sanctuary. Great editing from Robert Asprin keeps the whole thing alive and moving along.

Steven Brust Almost forgot Mr. Brust's Vlad Taltos series. The adventures of a human assasin in a magical empire. Excellent easy reads.

Edited by DoctorEvil

Guest Phoenix

most of my favourite writers have been covered here... the only thing i'd add is Neil Gaiman is a fantastic short story writer, & if you go to his website (which has links to a lot of other cool things too) theres a couple of stories on there that havent been published anywhere else, as yet - including "I, Cthulu" which is one of my favs of all time, just for randomness.

i get most of my library books delivered at the moment, which is actually awesome, because they get an idea of your tastes and go from there, so you get sent a lot of books you wouldnt otherwise read. you do get some awful ones (OMG yes) but you aslo get some absolutely brilliant ones which werent mentioned here, so here goes

Greg Keyes - The Briar King - i started reading it and thought i'd hate it, but ended up not being able to put it down. its the start The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series, & im looking forward to the rest of them

Justina Robson - Keeping it Real - very strange book which somehow combines cyborgs, elves and water dragons into a book thats actually completely logic-based. very strange, and very good.

Liz Williams - Bloodmind - another one which started very confusing & ended up mesmerising.

& thanks for the thread - more books for me to hunt down :)

hope you like

'Nix