The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

September promotions!

Patrick

OOC: Many thanks to Vene for cowriting this with me!

Just as Patham was rushing to the Cabaret Room to check out the commotion that the arrival of Blby had brought, he realized he'd almost forgotten something. Spotting Stephen and deciding that he'd rather not try bilocation at this moment, he ran over to the ranger.

"Stephen! Do you have some time?"

"More than you do, it seems ... what can I do?"

"We still need to promote Whisky - could you arrange for that to happen in the Cabaret Room?"

"Promote ... uhh ... sure?"

"Thanks!"

With that, Patham ran off again, not noticing the confused look on the ranger's face.

Stephen scratched his head and thought for a few moments, absent-mindedly lighting a cigarette. Taking a few puffs, he figured that if there was any whisky in the Pen keep, it would probably be kept in the cellar. While he was making his way there, he wondered how he'd recognize the right drink - after all, he didn't know that much about it.

Down in the cellar, he carefully felt around, using his hands and his staff, until his fingers touched a bottle.

"I wonder ..."

Opening the bottle and sniffing it, he thought he could smell grapes. The damp smell of the cellar itself was interfering though, so he took a swig.

"Hmm ... not whisky."

Carefully putting the bottle back, he tried another one. This one, too, smelled vaguely of grapes, but different.

Swig

"Not whisky either ..."

Skipping a few bottles, he tried another shelf. This time, he could vaguely smell some kind of yeast.

"Getting a lil clos'r ... seems "

Swig

"Nope ... 's somethin' els'. I think ..."

Swig

"Yep ... 's not whissy. But 'm gett'n clos'r."

He tried a few more bottles, then wondered whether the whisky wouldn't be kept in a barrel, so he started stumbling around, trying to find the barrels. When he bumped into them, he swore, followed by a very un-Stephen-like giggle as he heard something metallic clang to the ground.

"Whassat?"

A few moments of feeling around learned him that there was a tin cup on the ground, apparently for sampling purposes.

"Good! Thissss'llllbe ussssful!"

The third barrel contained what he thought was whisky. Of course, Stephen needed two more cups to convince him he actually was right. When he was finally sure, he managed to remember to close the barrel before tipping it over and rolling it to the stairs. Once there, he tried rolling the barrel up a few times before realizing it wouldn't work.

"Oops ... hehe."

With great effort, he picked up the barrel and dumped it on the first step. Then he stepped up himself and repeated the process.

Step.

CLONK.

Step.

CLONK.

Step.

Clonk.

Panting, sweating and staggering, Stephen finally reached the top and sat down on the barrel for a few moments to light a cigarette.

::Stephen? Stephen, stop smoking - I can sense that smell even from a simple Earth link!::

::Those will end up killing you - not the least because some beast will think you're trying to poisoning it.::

Stephen chuckled and swayed a little more on his barrel.

::Please, can you come to the Cabaret Room? I think you might help us... it's a bit... messy around here... are you alright, Stephen?::

::'m Fine ... onme way ... too ...::

With that, Stephen got up, tipped the barrel over again and started rolling it through the hallway towards the Cabaret Room, now hitting the left wall, then the right one, only to stagger back into the left wall, with the barrel in front of him. When he almost ran over Whisky in Babylon, he stopped.

"Oh ... hi Whiksy! Was yous ... inv ... ivna ... asked to c'm over to th' Carabe... Barake ... thingamajiggery room for ... mm ... the Whiksy event? 's Good whissy, I tried!"

Whisky in Babylon tried very hard to understand what the ranger was trying to tell her, but she found herself unable to decipher the meaning of his sentence. All she could understand was her own name and then Cabaret, both badly distorted. Seeing that he was rolling a barrel in the general direction of the Cabaret Room she lent him a helping hand and together they rolled the barrel inside, just as the rat skeleton fired his tangerine shot.

As Patham got up from the ground, he noted the ongoing chaos and then spotted Stephen, who had taken his sweet time in getting here. From his swagger, some alcohol had been involved. Then at the sight of the barrel, Patham almost burst out laughing. Of course!

"Thank you Stephen for bringing Whisky in Babylon down here. And I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough. I though you'd realise I was asking for her and not for the drink." He put a hand on Stephen's shoulder and helped him sit down next to Mynx and Tanny.

He then walked back to Whisky in Babylon.

"I'm sorry for not bringing you here myself, but I had to come down here and greet our new guest. Err...guests I should say."

"Everyone, could I have your attention for a moment, please!" he shouted. "It is my pleasure and honour to fill in for our Loremaster at his request. I asked Whisky in Babylon here for a reason. It is my pleasure to promote you, Whisky in Babylon, hereby to Quillbearer of the Pen!" He handed her an intriquately decorated quill.

Cheers erupted from all around.

OOC: for reasons of the current events already ongoing, and so as not to open up a space-time rift involving several characters please place any IC replies here. OOC replies are still fine here. :)

• 2 weeks later...