The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Ninja's Reaction

Degorram

Degorram sat on her couch, eyes fixed blankly to the tv screen. They wavered in and out of focus as she daydreamed, too exhausted to pay attention. Her eyelids slowly drooped, leading her seductively away into sleep.

A loud strain of cheerful, important sounding music exploded from the tv, sending Degorram reeling over the back of her couch in shock. Poking her bruised head over the back of the chair, she eyed the color-filled box with the grupiness of one startled from sleep by cheerful, important sounding music.

"Special news report from the Cabaret Room!" an announcer cried jubilantly. Degorram stood and walked around to sit back down on her couch, rubbing the painful knot on her forehead. The picture on the screen swiveled to focus in on Wyvern, standing in front of a podium.

"What's he up to now?" Degorram grumbled as Wyvern started to speak, advertising some other Almost Dragonic Brand of useless drivel. He turned to several glass-covered items, speaking about each individually and the events that had taken place to bring them to attention.

Degorram leaned forward, squinting at the pictures of the items as Wyvern addressed them one by one. That stone looked....familiar. As did the feather......and those horrid spandex costumes were a nightmare that had only just faded from her mind. And of course, there, placed firmly on every single exhibit, was the obsidian print of her sister.

A loud pop echoed through the room as her sister appeared at Degorram's side, panting in excitement. The shape shifter paid no attention to the unannounced entrance, but merely pointed to the screen. "You're on tv," she said to Kikuyu as if the ninja had been there the entire time.

"Wyvern was in my room." Kikuyu said, her eyes flashing.

"Seems you've been promoted to Quill Bearer," her sister replied, ignoring the ninja's rage.

"WYVERN WAS IN MY ROOM!" Kikuyu repeated, louder, fists clenched.

Degorram looked up, eyebrow raised. "Hooray."

"Oh you're no help at all," Kikuyu snarled, sitting down on the couch heavily. She brightened, however, as she turned with a slightly mischievious look on her face. "Why weren't you promoted, dear sister?"

Degorram shrugged, smiling just as sweetly. "I was away on holiday, sweeheart. I hadn't the time to work as hard as you have been. But have no fear: my time will come. Meanwhile I suggest you get your lacy underwear off of your floor just in case you're promoted again."

Kikuyu turned red. "Clean? ME? Surely you jest."

Degorram yawned and stood, turning the tv off with a flick of her wrist. "No Kikuyu. I sleep. Goodnight."

• 2 weeks later...