The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Calling all Gamers?

Merelas

Well, seeing to the fact that I still have 1.5 weeks at my disposal and a little extra cash lying around, I was thinking it might be time to purchase me a new brain-rotting, eye-popping, homework-completion-preventing device: namely, a game.

Consoles that I could shop for are: PC, X-BOX, PS2. If you have a recent acquisition that you absolutely love, I would love to hear about it.

Consequently, a friend recently told me about a new title called Vanguard. It's one of those MMORPG's, I think, but it sounded interesting regardless (I haven't been much for them in the past, but if there was a really good one to hook me I might consider it).

Anyway, advice? Also, if you bought something and really regret it, warn me off of titles, too :). Thanks all!

Titan Quest

I've actually taken to playing a game I found out in Houston TX when I was down there last summer.

WalMart is one of the few BIG Stores that has truck parking allowed (overnight even) in their parking lots, and I saw a guy playing this game called Titan Quest. It is a solo player game that can also hook up to an online community (Think of BattleNet and Diablo/D2/D2:LoD). You start off in old Greece, on a road outside of a farm. You will fight your way thru countryside and towns and villages and even into big cities (Delphi, Athens and even Knossos) in the first act. from there, you move onto Egypt, fighting mosters and looking for clues, treasure, etc. You'll hit Memphis, Thebes, the Sphinx and Great Pyramids of Giza. Once you finish THAT section (Act 2) you move onto DEEP Orient where you'll venture thru gardens and great cities and such. And like Diablo 2, that is just the beginning. After you complete the 3 Acts in normal Mode, you move on and repeat it in Epic mode, fighting slightly more powerful monsters, solving harder quests and finding greater treasure. then after that, you do it one last time in Legendary Mode.

I've had the game for a bit over 8 months but my play time is usually very restrictive, so I have not even completed the game in Normal mode yet. It is a VERY graphic (read cpu) intense game, so your PC better be fairly updated as far as graphics card, RAM and CPU. and first time out, you MIGHT want to set aside 4 or 5 hours as the game is REALLY immersive... :) [we're talking fantastic graphics...trees and grass waving in the wind, seeing ocean tides, watching waterfalls...fantastic imagery and very true to life architecture on the buildings too]

Walmart has em for around $30 and it JUST came out with it's FIRST expansion game (Immortal Throne, release date March 9, 2007). It has a very knowledgeable gaming community on IGN's Vault network, as well as several fansites/forums already on the Net and the game is just a little over a yr old. Put out by THQ & Iron Lore.

take a look here : Titan Quest for more info

Edited by GeldrinHor

Guitar Hero, or Guitar Hero II, both on ye olde PS2 - go, my son, and rock.

Or both.

Both is good.

I liked the songs in the first one more, but the mechanics are much better in the second.

But both games rock, hard.

Shadows of the Colossus for PS2 was by far the most poetic game I have ever played. The game is very simple, it is a land filled with 16 beasts in order to revive the woman you love. You have a sword, a bow, and a horse. Every beast is like a puzzle to find its weak spot and climb up to slay the creature. great music and graphics and very realistic movement as your character tumbles trying to stay steady on a moving creature.

i'd recommend it

This is right up my ally! :D

Vanguard seems fun, but meh, its an mmo so not really worth the time. However if your comp can handle it, get Elder Scrolls Oblivion. One of the best games out there though you'll need a pretty tough comp for it.

F.E.A.R is a very creepy shooter, and alot of fun... a game that when you finally get shot and take damage you go "Oh thank god"

The Sims 2 is alot of fun with all 100 of its expansions ;p so its a bit costly after a while.

As for the ps2

Guitar Hero is a great buy

Devil May Cry 1&3 (2 was a god awful game

Metal Gear Soild 3

Guilty Gear x-2

Digital Devil Saga 1&2

and X-box

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Dragoon Orta

Gotta say Halo 2...

so theres just a few of what I would recomend, so I hope this helps :)

Oh...ya know, I never thought about the PS2, especially as I own one, but have not played it in quite a while. I do recall MUCH enjoyment from a few games tho...including Final Fantasy X (great story line and wonderful play mechanics) (and my wife got me FF X2, but VERY different and not my kind of FF game...LOL) then there was a few offcolor faves of mine, like Redneck Rampage and Celebrity Deathmatch....not a lot of technical about either one, but a heck of a lot of fun nonetheless. (Imagine Tanya Harding vs Snoop Dogg, wrestling in jello!) You might want to revisit games like Diablo (the original) or D2, if you enjoyed those before, you'll still love em now!

I still have games in my office from when I had my first 486 DX4-100 computer, using 4MB of 72 pin SIMM PC66 ram. Games like US Navy Seals, BlackHawk, Syndicate, and The Bard's Tale, not to mention several of the original Might and Magic series. Of course, they only required 1MB of video memory, and a floppy drive or 4x CDRom to load/play. Ahhh...those were the days! LOL I ALSO still have an unregistered CD Copy of Everquest 2 (I preordered and got 3 copies for the price of two, so one is still unopened and completely legal CDKey and all). Of course, I haven't PLAYED EQ2 since I left the game in May 2005.

shrug....I really hate throwing away perfectly good games...LOL

"Pssssssssssssst"

The gamer discussion circle turns for a moment as a figure dressed in a baggy overcoat approaches their Cabaret table. A set of horns holds a wide grey hat at an awkward angle on the almost dragonic figure's head, and the scaly red tail that drags along on the ground behind the figure dispels any doubt of who it might be. The "stranger" lifts two half-gloved claws and pats Merelas and Geldrinhor on their shoulders.

"Ssssorry, I overheard you talking 'bout cutting edge gaming and thought you might be interesssted in some cutting edge product, with cutting edge casing and no edge cut medical insurance plan." Wyvern lowers a claw to his trenchcoat and opens one of its flaps, revealing a rubber duck, a dirty magazine, and an unlabeled video cassette. "Sssee that cassette tape? Mark my wordsss, that's the future of pop gaming right there... Katzaniel is the next prophet of the gaming biz, as I'm sure you all know, and I'm almost positive that she has her eye on thisss little piece of material."

Mira squints and stares closer at the video cassette, trying to make out any sort of writing on it.

"What... is it?"

"It'sss a video recording of my brilliant interpretation of the Dreamer's 'Havoc' tale, as seen on the infamous public nuisance show 'The Almost Report'." Wyvern grins and rubs a claw on his chest with pride. "I imagine that the video game translation of the segment would be entitled 'Almost Dragonic Dream Havoc-a-thon.' It'd be distributed through Almost Dragonic Inc.'s video game spin-off branch: the Almost Dragonic Brand Computer Virus Ranch™. The game would be a third person shooter/dance-dance clone/ecchi date sim/guitar player (cuz' everybody's doing it)/and hack and slash game (especially when it comes to the customer's computer). It would also be the firssst game ever to be referred to as an MMORSG - a Massive Meticulous Outrageous Rediculous Spam Generator. It'd probably be released on the upcoming Tigertaur system, which I'm pretty sure Katzaniel has somewhere in the works (note: Tigertaur is in NO WAY affiliated to Jaguar... jussst wanted to throw that out there as to not scare off customers)."

Wyvern slumps his shoulders a bit as the gamer circle lets out a collective groan over his gaming descriptions.

"Awww, c'mooonnnnn guys." Wyvern pulls out the cassette and twists it in his claws. "Did I mention that the bonus features for beating the game would include a nearly nude photograph of me that you can dress in any way you want? You know I look good..."

;-)

Damn skippy it does. :P

I've also recently (finally) got around to snagging a copy of God of War, and while it's definitely a bit adult in theme, it is absolutely gorgeous, very intuitive, and downright fun.

Also epic, did we mention epic? Yes, epic is the word. Your first boss is a Hydra that has fairly a fairly strong kraken influence, and you work your way up from there. Yes, you work your way up from a giant shipwrecking monster.

Apparently, to Ares. Good luck with that.

:D