The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

metaphorical fruit interlude

Savage Dragon

Exercpt from Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs:

"You're missing the point," she said. "What you're saying makes sense in theory, but not in practice. You're trying to compare apples and oranges."

"Why do you keep saying that?" he asked in response. "Apples and oranges aren't really that different, really. I mean, they're both fruit. Their weight is extremely similar. They both contain acidic elements. They're both roughly sphereical. They serve the same social purpose. With the possible exception of a tangerine, I can't think of anything more similar to an orange than an apple. If I was having lunch with a man eating an apple and - while i was looking away - he replaced that apple with an orange, I doubt I'd even notice. So how is this a metaphor for difference? I could understand if you said, 'That's like comparing apples and uranium,' or 'That's like comparing apples with baby wolverines,' or 'That's like comparing apples with the early work of Raymond Carver,' or 'That's like comparing apples with hermaphroditic ground sloths.' Those would all be valid examples of profound disparity. But not apples and oranges. In every meanigful way, they're virtually identical."

"You're missing the point," she said again, this time for different reasons.

Edited by Savage Dragon