The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Black Box

Black Box.

Ever seen a feel-box? It’s one of those boxes that has objects in it, two holes where you can stick your hands through, and then you have to guess what the object is inside the box by ‘looking’ at it with only your fingers.

This game is basically the same.

You take an object (not too large), and imagine you have to describe it, but you only know what you’re feeling.

For example if you take a ping-pong ball:

You stick your hands in and you feel a round object. You can tell it’s made from plastic, and it fits nicely in your hand. The surface of the object is smooth, and it doesn’t weigh too much. When you drop it, it bounces back from the bottom of the box against your hands. You take it back in your hands, and with your fingertips you feel that a tiny rim goes all the way around the object, as if it’s really made of two half circles instead of one.

5 geld for each description.

5 geld if you're the first person who correctly guesses what was described. You can guess in the thread, and the person who posted the description can say when a correct guess has been made.

If you would like some help on how to write description, the StoryWeaver’s Guild has an excellent tutorial on this subject. :)

The item you pick up is about 3 cm long (1.2 inches), and you can feel that it is made of hard material that feels cool against your skin. Some sort of metal probably, because the moment you try to bend the object you feel that it springs a little, but doesn’t really give way. The shape is a drawn-out oval, as if someone drew a circle and then really pulled on both sides, and formed a flat pancake. On one side you feel a small circle, and the object is slightly thicker here. When you put your nail over it, you notice that it is some sort of wiring, turned into a circle, and then up on both sides to the other end. When your fingers arrive at this end you feel an even bigger part of metal. There is a small opening in it, and a sharper edge. You squeeze the object, and then jump back as it flicks open in your fingers and seems to bite you.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

From the bottom of the box I grab the embodiment of a circle (not a sphere.) It feels like it is probably plastic and there are markings on one side of different heights. Perhaps they are decoration or writing? In the middle of the circle is another circle of a slightly different material. It still feels plastic though. In the middle of this circle, my fingers find a round hole. The other side is utterly smooth until it gets to the inside circle. There is approximately no height to this object at all. What am I feeling?

The object I grab just manages to fit into the palm of my hand. It is rounded at the back and the front, but the sides seem to be straight. I turn the object around in my hand, feeling its underside, which is also flat. As I turn the object back I feel it slightly yielding to pressure at the top, clicking a bit inward, then back out when I release it. Towards the front of the object I feel a cord coming out from a small hole, and snaking away.

Wyvern saunters up the bumpy hill leading to the Black Boxing Ring of Tables. He covers his rear end with a square package as he runs, glancing back through the purple patches of flowers with worried eyes. The reptilian Elder breaths a sigh of relief as he passes by Gyrfalcon and Gwaihir, and lets his tongue roll loose as he removes the square package from its protective position at his rear. He flashes a toothy grin and pulls the "box" up for all to see, slowly parading it in a "gameshow prize" fashion before turning to the central table with a grunt.

"Errrr." Sweetcherrie raises a brow as she notices that Wyvern's black box doesn't have a hole anywhere on its surface. Her eyes widen as the iron surface of the "box" glistens in the sun. "Wait Wyv, don't-"

Wyvern tosses his box towards the table with a double-handed swing and an "urmph." The Black Box participants cringe and look away as the hunk of metal makes a slow arch in the sky. The square weight lands against the table with a crash, literally splitting the wood in half and catapulting both Sweetcherrie and Gwaihir's boxes into the air. Gwaihir cries out as his "Natural Cabbage Sounds vol. 1" CD goes flying out of its container and soars through the air. The disc narrowly misses Patrick's head as it flies straight into an illusionary cattle, ricocheting with a snap.

"Oopssss." Wyvern bites his lip as he looks over the damages, then scratches his head as he stares at the iron black weight that rests on the table's remains. He slaps his head as he notices a slight error, and promptly tosses a cardboard box with a hole on top of it over the iron weight. He strikes a sheepish grin to the other participants, and turns to scram only to notice Sweetcherrie's box at his feet.

"Hmmm." The lizard kneels and pokes into the box with a claw, then frowns and goes pale as he feels around inside it. "Either thisss is an Almost Dragonic Brand Deluxe Iron Toothpick™, or it'sss, errrkk... c-could it be one of Morgane's-?"

Wyvern jumps up as a dart lands at his feet, then cries out as another zips past and almost knicks his lower regions. The overgrown lizard screams and sprints down the hill with his claws over his rear as the familiar echo of girlish laughter rings over the Black Boxing Ring.

;-)

This would be best followed by holding your hands open and relaxed in front of you, preferably hidden, and with your eyes slightly unfocused. Watch the object appear in your hands, but don't LOOK at your hands. Read the words and feel the sensations on your fingertips. Begin.

The object you feel when you stick your hands in the box is small. The solid part of it is only about 1 and 3/4 inches long (roughly 4.5cm), with a chain of some sort attached to one side. It's thin, and squat, and long for its dimentions. As you run your fingers over and around it, you find that it's smooth on one long narrow side, rounded on the ends, and there's a strange bump on the other long side. You explore it with your fingernails, picking at it and tryng to feel it out, when you find a groove along one side of the thin bump. You stick your thumbnail inside and tug a few times, finally getting the hang of tugging at an angle and something thin and hard pulls out. You run your fingers lightly along the edge and feel it sharp, almost breaking your skin, and that it ends in a sharp point. It's fatter on one side than the other, though not by much. Where this thin piece of cold metal used to rest in the body of the object is now a hollow, waiting for the metal to snap back in again.

What is it?

The item in the box is two inches long (5cm), and much of the body seems to feel soft, gently curved under your fingers. It is a flattened oval, and at one end, where the body is soft but unyielding, is a small metal ring. two thirds of the way down, the soft body becomes smooth and cool, and dipping slightly from the soft part of the body. Further, a rectangle protrudes from the smooth portion, about a half-inch (1.5cm) long. When you tap the soft portion, it echos somewhat hollowy, while the rectangle sounds metallic. When you run your finger along the end, there is a small rectangular opening towards the top (or bottom). On the top and bottom of of the rectangle, your fingernail hooks on two small square holes on the top and bottom.

Let's see if I can do a harder one.

It is about four inches (10 cm). It makes a pinging noise when you your fingernail clicks against it. It is flat on top but mildly inclined. The top is about an inch wide (2.5 cm).

Oddly enough, although the material does seem yielding at all, when you push on the the high point of the incline, it does yield to your pushing and you hear another pinging noise.

As your fingers go on exploring, you feel that the inclined thing seems to be attached to another slab of the same material. It is flat and slightly larger than the inclined slab.

The item in my hands is hard and long. I can put both my hands around it, and still I haven’t reached the end. As I feel towards the end I find that it’s about 20 cm (7.9 inches) long, and has the girth of a thick pen. Towards one side it starts tickling me, and as I stroke over it, I feel that it is soft, almost furry at that end, and it feels plastic on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...