The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Application - Red Envelope

Nothing could go wrong.

Jeremy Sizemore certainly thought so. He had marked out the route several times in his head. All the contingency plans were covered. In the unlikely event of an emergency, well, he would call for back up.

It was a tough assignment. Jeremy had never been asked to venture so far away. If he completed this exercise it would surely mean extra privileges, special praise or perhaps a rise up the pecking order. Material incentives were never his thing; he did it because he enjoyed the challenge.

Young for someone so highly thought of, Jeremy was still relatively inexperienced for all the action he had seen. Enrolment at an academy for two years had given him the basics of how to communicate effectively - although he still had problems with various phrases – and he could fend for himself without too much assistance. School work shaped and crafted his literary skills, yet it was the excitement of a mission which he lived for. His fellow students preferred to keep a low profile at their headquarters, but the young man was keen to see what was out there. Jeremy stood out from his contemporaries in that respect.

Checking the clock, Jeremy decided it was time to speak to his superiors. He answered to a man and a woman, both of about 35 years, who held residence in the same location. They didn’t tell him much regarding the mission itself; just simple instructions to follow. The female, at times strict and uncompromising, usually gave him the orders. Quiet and unassuming, the male generally kept in the background and only spoke when absolutely necessary. It was a combination which worked, Jeremy felt himself thinking.

Two swift knocks on the large entrance door was all Jeremy needed to do. No response meant they were busy; if a reply was heard immediately he could proceed.

A fragmented male voice responded. It sounded tired and not accustomed to fielding call at such an hour.

Jeremy pushed the heavy door frame and slid in the room. His superiors were waiting.

“Jeremy…so… do you know where you are going?”

"Yes I do."

Jeremy was confident despite their notable lack of interest. Why were they rubbing their eyes? Maybe it was a bad time. He had prepared for so long though. This was his chance to prove his wares to them. Nothing could go wrong, he was sure of it.

“Well, you need this then. Good luck.”

The female gave Jeremy two dollars and fifty cents. It was enough just to buy what he required and still have enough for any miscellaneous items. He felt good.

Jeremy decided to spend the money on an Orange Fruju icecream. With the extra money he could buy two green fizzies and a chocolate bar. The shop was only across the road, but if he could get there without his parents’ help it would be a major accomplishment.

At only seven years of age, you have to start small.

Edited by Red Envelope

*a flurry of adorably cute kitten minions flood the Recruiter's office and swarm over Red*

*Mynx follows close behind and tacklehugs the new applicant*

Took you long enough!

Welcome to the Pen my friend - I hope you enjoy your stay :)

*licks Red on the forehead and settles down to wait with him*

Wyvern races into the Recruiter's Office with a folder of paperwork crumpled in one trembling claw. The lizard holds the folder up high and waves it in angry swats, his teeth bared in a scowl.

"Alright, I'm here, now what's thisss business about me getting a red envelo-"

Wyvern freezes as he notices his immediate surroundings. His scowl fades to a dark frown as a fluff of soft fur presses itself against his leg. The gentle meowing sound that engulfs the Office slowly makes its way to the lizard's ears, and he steps back at the sight of the coiled tails and twitching noses. Wyvern hisses as one of the kittens hops forward, then races back out of the Office and dashes down the halll. Red Envelope and Mynx sit in the meow-infested "silence" of the room for a long moment.

"Well," Red Envelope removes a kitten from his head and sets it on top of another kitten. "That didn't go very well, did it?"

"Don't worry, I'm sure that Wyv just stepped out for some air." Mynx twiddles her paws and strikes a nervous smile in Red Envelope's direction. "... I hope."

The anxiety fades when Wyvern reenters the Office, only to reappear as Red Envelope and Mynx notice the gasmask and gray radiation suit that the lizard now wears. The reptilian Elder raises a large horn device with a tube attached to it and cackles.

"I will now rid thisss Office of cute and innocent kittens with this patented Almost Dragonic Brand Woof Horn.™" Wyvern's voice comes out in a monotone buzz through his mask. "The cord connected to this horn leads out of the Pen and into a large kennel of muttsss. Their noises will ring loud and clear once the trigger is presssed. Eat this, kitten scum!"

Wyvern presses on the trigger of his horn, and waits for the sound.

*MOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

Wyvern pauses, then begins stammering as kittens start clammering around him for milk. He cries out, then thinks fast and grabs a leftover sign from his silent noir movie portrayal. Wyvern quickly scrawls "Katnip This Waye" onto the sign, then plants it with an arrow facing the Office door. He breathes a static sigh of relief as the kittens begin departing in the direction of the sign, then removes his gasmask and extends a claw to Red Envelope.

"What a relief. When they said 'Red Envelope,' I thought it was gonna be another IRS death threat." Wyvern grins and shakes Envelope's hand, then snatches his application story and reads it over. "Hah! Clever indeed, discovering a shop that sells chocolate so cheap."

Red Envelope raises a brow as Wyvern speedily stamps his application ACCEPTED.

"Now if you'll excussse me, I've gotta run." Wyvern darts back to the Office door and bows. "I have to see if I can catch Jeremy before he gets home. So many infants to steal candy from, so little time."

;-)

OOC: A clever story and an ACCEPTED application, Red Envelope. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :-) I look forward to reading more of your stuff, as well as participating with you in community projects. I hope you find the Pen a friendly and welcoming community to share your writing with. Once again, welcome!

Wow.. thanks for all the kind feedback everyone!

You know, someone can bag the story.. criticism, when applied carefully, can certainly be beneficial. ;)

:D

Cheers to all, and thank you Wyvern for accepting it :)