The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Nothing

Guest Phoenix

Guest Phoenix

....looking decidedly worse for wear, and followed closely by an eight foot shadow. Phoenix slows, banks, and lands, preening her ruffled feathers back into place, and mumbling a few curses at belligerent kittens. As she tries to sidle towards the door, the suggestion of an edged weapon appears in the shadows' hand. With a guilty chirrup she drops her application on the desk, then returns to the corridor to roost and lick her wounds...

Nothing

they told me i had nothing

but my heart was mine to give

they told me i knew nothing

but i knew enough to live

if i could tell them anything

as i watch them from within

i'd say that all have something to give

don't underestimate me again

i took my love to heaven

i took my self to hell

i gave till i was barren

entwined together we fell

i built myself from the ashes

i wove my hair from fire

i cleansed my soul from the cold of death

in my lover's funeral pyre

now flying free of the embers

that still clung to my skin

there is one thing i'm certain of

no one will hurt me again.

i gave till i was nothing.

i gave till my faith failed.

i believed that i was nothing.

but something inside me prevailed.

The shaking tail stinger under the Recruiter's Desk calms to a light tremble at the sound of the Office door shutting. Wyvern lifts his claws to the desktop and slowly peeks over the edge, his horns half-camoflauged in a pair of discarded sandwich wrappers. His eyes scan the area of the Office, moving from the ash remains of paperwork piles to the smokey vapors left in the fireballs wake. Wyvern lifts himself from his crouching position, only to huddle back for a moment as he rescans the room for any signs of the emissary of flames. Finding none, the lizard breaths a long sigh of relief and stands in full, turning to the new application sheet on his desk. His head promptly jerks away from the sheet, however, as the Office door swings open again.

"I almost forgot." Phoenix walks back into the room, only to pause and raise a brow at the sight of the Elder of Initiates. Wyvern stands frozen on top of his desk chair, his toothy maw wide in terror and his claws outstretched in what might have been a defensive stance. The flaming applicant frowns at the pale tint of the lizard's scales, and clears his throat. "Have I come at a bad time?"

"N-n-n-n-no, no no." Wyvern drops his defensive stance and takes a deep breath, then hops back off of his chair and bows a bit. "In fact, you couldnt've have come at a better time. Now that that crummy Pen Reperations Bill has been incinerated, Ozymandias'll have no way to pin the cost of disssaster #108 on me. Come, take a ssseat."

Phoenix stares at Wyvern for a long moment, then nods and seats himself on one of the available applicant easychairs. The cushion warms beneath him.

"Sssorry for acting so frightened, I thought you might have been a disssgruntled ogre who had tasted Almost Dragonic Brand Not-so-Chile Molten Lava Sauce™ for the first (and probably last) time." Wyvern rustles Phoenix's application sheet a few times, then reads it over in a series of nods and darting eye movements. He places the sheet back down on his desktop once he's finished and grins in the applicant's direction. "A self-made fire bird, I see. Well, there may be some use for that Almost Dragonic Brand Winter Tanning Booth™ product of mine yet!"

Wyvern sneers in Phoenix's direction as a bloodthirsty salesman would towards his primary clent, then begins fishing through his desktop for a stamp.

"Can't wait to see how you and Troy get along, it'sss just a shame that Merelas never seems to visit anymore." Wyvern plucks his acceptance stamp from under a lewd centerfold of two elven ladies working a pile of leaves, and stamps Phoenix's application ACCEPTED. He hops out of his seat and hands the sheet to him, then raises a claw and whispers:

"And for the recordsss, I agree with your views concerning belligerent kittens... but it's the cute and innocent ones that really need to burn."

With that, Wyvern bows and wanders back towards his desk, mumbling something about the prophecies of recent application titles as his tail drags through the ash.

;-p

OOC: An ACCEPTED application poem, Pheonix. Welcome to the Mighty Pen! :-) I look forward to reading more of your stuff, and also hope to participate with you in some community projects. I hope that you find the Pen a very open and friendly community of writers, and that you feel welcome in your stay. :-)

*grins widely*

Welcome Phoenix!

Always good to have another kiwi girl on the Pen.

*huggles the firebird enthusiastically, ruffling a few more of her feathers in the process*

And for the record...the cute and innocent kittens might need to burn...but they are also the most fireproof :P

Guest Phoenix

thanks...

*she blushes an even deeper shade of red, & turns somersaults out of office*

and i love it here already. it's great, if a little confronting sometimes..

i'm not used to people actually reading my work

the fact that you have good things to say is just a bonus :D

and just for the record...... cute? yes. ..innocent? well....... not so sure on that one ;)

& belligerent might've been a bit strong... insistent?