The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXIV: Winter's Heart

Tanuchan

Tsal looked at Cedric, angry thoughts mixing with grief and a hint of pity for the merchant in front of them. He had seen Cedric around the village, looking always so sure of himself, so aloof - a man of a higher station than all of them, who deigned them with their presence. And there he was, letting tears fall, actually apologizing to a boy who knew nothing more than carving wood.

A boy who has nothing, but also has everything... or thought he had, when you came and ...

He felt Lillen's hand squeezing his, and immediately wrapped a protective arm around her shoulders. Her fragility both angered and grieved him more, having known how strong she usualy was and how quickly she dealt with anything that happened in the tavern.

Cedric also looked at Lillen, opening his mouth to apologize once more - but words never came, as he got caught by Lillen's eyes.

Have I also killed her... her will to live and be happy?

Lillen hid her face in Tsal's chest, and he wrapped both arms around her. He didn't look again at Cedric.

"Please, go away." His voice was hoarse. "You have no right to be here."

Cedric lowered his head, and turned to leave. Then, still with his back to them, he found again his voice.

"I know nothing I might do will be ever enough... but let me help you both... I have another house in the village. And marriages... the marriage costs... " He felt his words awkward, and for some reason he saw Susan's face in front of him, the face she had worn when she had thought he had but bought a wife. He let his voice drift into silence even before listening to Lillen's answer. There was a quiet dignity in it.

"We don't need anything, Mr. Fernsworth. Everything John had... is mine, and Tsal's. And the tavern... is mine."

After some moments of silence, Cedric nodded slowly. Realization had hit him hard when he had remembered Susan's face.

"I'm too used to a world where money buys everything. From respect to friendship."

A hand on his arm when he was about to open the door surprised him. He looked at Tsal.

"Mr. Fernsworth..." He hesitated, trying also to find the right words. "We know you spared my life, and Lillen's, when you could have just killed us. We... we do believe you were not completely responsible for your acts when you killed... "

Cedric couldn't be sure of what he felt when hearing those words. He knew they didn't mean forgiveness, and that he wouldn't ever have that. But at least it was understanding. Part of the weight on him eased, and he nodded.

"... but you should understand... must understand... that we can't forget. You... the beast... " Tsal's voice caught.

"I know." Cedric drew a deep breath. He had to ask them, and he didn't want to. He didn't know whether it was deep shame, or fear. But he loved Susan. It had been that love that had saved him.

"I have no right to ask. But... Susan and I are marrying, and leaving the village, in six months. Could you... would you keep all this hushed until we are gone? Not for my sake... but for hers."

Minutes dragged by, hope growing in Cedric when no immediate refusal came. Tsal looked at Lillen, decided to do what was needed to protect her and soothe her grief. She looked at Cedric, then around her.

Everything in the workshop was still as John had left them, except for a few tools and scraps of wood that Tsal had been using when Cedric had arrived. She felt John's presence around her, and heard him again advising her as a small girl, and then as a young woman.

Then she looked back at Cedric, with a small nod.

"Then... might I hope..."

Lillen raised a hand, stopping him. Her voice was low, but surprisingly firm. "Mr. Fernsworth, we..." she glanced at Tsal, who nodded. "We will keep your secret. On the condition that you tell Susan."

Cedric paled visibly. Lillen didn't give him chance to speak, though. "She is going to be your wife. Marriage should be based on love and trust. She may not return your love quite yet, but betray her trust and may never. Tell Susan, and you have our word we'll keep it hushed."

She didn't wait for an answer, and turned back. Her steps took her to the stairs to the loft, and she looked up. She fought tears, and felt Tsal's loving arms around her once more. She closed her eyes, and let her thoughts drift.

A letter, found on John's nightstand the previous morning, and addressed to her...

My dearest girl,

I've been more and more worried about the last events, and something in my mind insists that many might lose their lives to the werebeasts before it comes to an end. And I might be one of them. I don't want to be pessimistic, but we have to face the facts.

So, if the worst happens, I want you to know that there is a Will registered with Mr. Wendell. All my worldly belongings are yours, Lillen. Those include the workshop and all the tools, with one exception, to do with as you see fit. Sell, use, do what you think best. You've always been the daughter of my heart, and I have no one else I could legate them to.

The exception are my carving tools. I keep them separated, in the box by the back window. Those are for Tsal.

Now, Tsal... There is strength in him, and a golden heart. Which he puts in his carving, and that is what makes them so good. If it is in your power to do something, I'll ask you to not let his gift go to waste.

Don't mourn me more than I deserve. From wherever I might be when you get this letter, know that my love will always be with you. Don't forget either that there are people around you who love you and will care for you. I know you will do fine, you have your father's strength in you.

With love,

John

~~~~

Thanks to both Azuran and Panther for writing with me, and Patrick for giving me directions for Cedric. :)

Edited by Tanuchan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathaniel wandered around his house after watching his ... well ... she was still his grandmother, no matter how young she looked ... grandmother fade away. Now that he was one of them, he could see the ghosts that he'd never even noticed while he was still alive.

Some of them seemed quite friendly, others aloof, and one of them seemed downright hostile, but none of the others paid that one any heed so he ignored it as well.

He stopped at his desk, and looked at the envelopes lying there, remembering writing the letters in them.

"To whomever may find this,

The fact that you are reading this means that I have died. Whether through the claws of one of the Werebeasts or through ... other means, the fact remains that there is nobody here left to take care of my things, or continue my work.

Whatever the circumstances, and whatever you may think of me, I beg of you one last favour. There is another envelope here on the desk, containing a letter to an associate of mine. Come Spring, please give it to the first merchant to go to the nearest city.

As soon as my associate receives it he will set out to come and retrieve a few of the things in this house; the books I have listed below, along with a few items. These items have always, and will always, belonged to the Chroniclers, and he will see to it that they receive them. He is an honest man, and will take only what is theirs.

Tsal, there are a few books on carving techniques from the far North in my collection. I'm sure the things written down in them will improve your already marvellous skills and might give you something extra to trade with passing merchants.

Lillen, take a look in the second room on your left when you go up the stairs. Some of the clothes there have belonged to my mother, some have belonged to me when I was little.

Take good care of each other.

Everything else I give to the town, to use for those who need it most. May you all prosper.

Nathaniel Blake Churnstone"

What follows is a rather short list of books, mostly written by Nathaniel himself, and an even shorter list of items.

With a satisfied nod, trusting that the townspeople would take care of his last request, Nathaniel set out to meet his new peers.

With all the excitement over and done now, Annie thought being dead had become rather boring. She wanted some life here in this boring little town and had snuck into Nathaniels house. Maybe she could spook the ghosts around here, or otherwise she would at least be able to order them around.

She watched him reading the letters and going over some big list of books, nothing interesting for her to do, and wandered out to see what else there was around.

When she arrived at the top of the stairs she saw an old clock, one of those that granny Jammeez used ot have in her kitchen, and suddenly an idea jumped in mind. Annie was just small enough to crawl inside, and grinned.

*DING DONG*

Giggling she played with the clock and made it spookily sound 12 times through the corridors. She hoped that whatever ghosts were around would come out, after all weren't ghosts supposed to come out and play at midnight? Well, if she would just make enough noise they might just think that it was midnight already and come out to play with her.

OOC: Thanks to Mynx for co-writing this with me. Was real fun writing with Susan in this game! :)

"Yes, she does deserve an explanation. It shall be hard, but I shall have to tell her." - he said, and bowed to Tsal and Lillen while mumbling a barely audible thank you. He straightened up, and realised that they had not heard him.

"I thank you for not dismissing me outright." With one last look at both Tsal and Lillen Cedric turned, and walked off.

He wandered around for three whole hours thinking of what he was going to tell Susan, and how he was going to tell it to her.

"You don't build something like on this on lies and half-truths. The full truth it shall have to be." - he murmured, finally reaching a decision. He looked up, and found that he was in front of Doctor Mason's house. He considered that a good omen.

Fifteen minutes later he knocked on the door of Susan's house, but got no reply. He was just about to turn to leave, when Susan and her mother appeared at the far end of the street, carrying a heavily laden basket between them.

"Cedric!" Susan exclaimed in surprise, before remembering herself and curtseying as gracefully as she could while holding the basket. Her Mother smiled at what she merely assumed to be shyness before relieving her daughter of the basket and bowing her head to Cedric.

"Would you like to stay for dinner my Lord?"

"Thank you, yes," Cedric smiled. "Would you mind if I spoke with Susan for a few moments?"

"Of course not. I'll just be out the back."

Cedric watched Susan's mother head inside before he turned back to her and offered his arm. Susan took it hesitantly and the two set off on an ambling walk out of the way, both of the pair silent for a few moments before Susan cleared her throat.

"Have you recovered from your sickness?"

"Much," Cedric replied with a bitter laugh, before stopping and turning to look at his betrothed.

"What about you? You still look pale."

Susan flushed and dropped her head.

"I'm alright. It was...worse than I'd expected. But I don't regret it at all."

Susan looked up at Cedric and he was surprised to see tears in her eyes.

"I could never thank you enough for helping me. You are truly a kind man Cedric and you have been wonderful to me. I hope I can at least start to return the kindness once we are wed."

Cedric grimaced slightly and looked away.

"Susan, you have only seen one side of me so far, and I am grateful that you shall never come to see the other one." – Cedric said, his expression the most serious Susan had seen from him.

"What do you mean?" – Susan asked, her eyes betraying her surprise.

Cedric cleared his throat and prepared to tell Susan the truth.

"I have done horrible things Susan, and the only excuse I have is not having been in control when doing these things."

"What…" – Susan started saying, but Cedric interrupted her. "Please let me finish. I'll answer all questions you have then."

"You probably heard of the madness, which had taken hold of Karen Zahn, the medical student. She was cursed with lycanthropy, and while on the hunt one night, she infected me."

Cedric's expression darkened as he remembered that horrible night.

"I regret to say, but during the nights following that one I took part in acts, which led to people dying in this town." He glanced around, just to check that no one could overhear them. "You need not be afraid." – Cedric said, knowing how Susan must be feeling. "Thanks to Doctor Mason, who managed to derive a cure from Karen's body, I have been healed."

"Susan, you must understand that it wasn't easy for me to tell you all this. I told you, because I feel that if you are to marry me, you deserve to know the truth, and with the sheriff and the good doctor not saying a word about it, you might never have learnt."

Cedric stopped speaking, and in the stillness he wondered how Susan would react.

Susan blanched as though she had been slapped and for a moment couldn't speak, her arm falling away from Cedric's as she took a step back from him in fear.

"Why did you kill all those people?"

Cedric dropped his head and sighed. "I couldn't help myself. I couldn't fight it."

"But, why them?" Susan shook her head in disbelief before uttering a nervous laugh. "I would have thought you more likely to come for me after you found out I was..." she trailed off uncertainly and all of a sudden found it very hard to raise her eyes from the ground.

"I believe that the only thing, which redeemed me was the love I have for you, Susan. Two nights ago, just before seeing the Doctor, the beast I was wanted to kill Tsal. But when I got there, I found him with Lillen, and seeing the two of them together, I was reminded of what I felt for you, and managed to regain control just long enough."

Cedric paused, then remembered what he had promised Tsal and Lillen, and what he had promised himself. He would have to give Susan the whole truth.

"Then before seeing the doctor, I killed James Breer."

Susan took this all in without looking up at Cedric. The only noise she made was a small bitter laugh at hearing the news of her rapist's demise.

"I'm touched you care so much for me Cedric, and I can't say I'm unhappy about Mylord Breer's death..." Susan still refused to look up at him. "...You're sure you are cured?"

Cedric nodded, before realising Susan still wasn't looking at him.

"Yes. Breer was the last I killed. And it is going to stay that way."

"But you can't stay here anymore, can you."

Cedric hesitated, before sighing sadly. "No. I can't stay here. Even if the others could accept me after all I've done, I couldn't bear to be reminded."

Susan was silent for so long that Cedric began to worry. He wanted desperately to ask her to join him and still wed him, but he was afraid she would refuse. He waited for her to look at him, to speak, to do something before his nerves destroyed him.

Finally, after what seemed like an age, Susan looked up at Cedric and offered him a tiny smile.

"When do we leave, my Lord?"

Cedric sighed, a sigh of relief, releasing all of the pent up emotions.

"Thank you." - he said in a soft whisper. "Thank you for accepting me for what I truly am."

"Those concerned have told me that they shall not reveal my part in what has happened until we get married. I told them that I shall leave the town after the marriage, if the marriage still takes place. Do you still wish it to happen?"

Susan looked to one side and appeared to be lost in her thoughts even as she spoke.

"Two months ago, if given the chance to not get married I would have taken it, promise or not." Susan coloured slightly as she said this. "But since then I can see that you do care for me Cedric, and while I cannot truly say right now that I love you as you do me, I think that will only become a matter of time."

She looked back at him and Cedric was delighted to see her smile.

"Yes my Lord, I will marry you and travel with you where you wish."