The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Beauty Pageant Award Ceremony

Mynx

The Judges spoke back and forth, comparing notes and making minute adjustments. Pulling out an abacus, Peredhil clicked beads rapidly, fingers flying over the beads.

Gryphon had already done the calculations in his head, but was content to let the revered Ancient do it his way. Mynx watched with shining eyes, tail lashing as he wrote down each number.

At last, they completed their marking, and began listing the names in order of rank. Mynx couldn't help but chuckle in amusment at some of the results, Gryphon and Peredhil both sharing in the feline's amusement.

After a moment's more discussion, Mynx collected the results and stood up.

She paused for a moment and frowned in thought - should she present the awards as Mynx, or CheerMynx?

Eyes twinkling as a compromise formed itself in her head, Mynx waved her paw and changed her robe for a sparkling silvery gown that CheerMynx would normally wear for such an occasion.

Togther, the three judges mounted the stage and stood to one side as Mynx approached the microphone.

"Well," she smiled out at the audience. "It has been quite a pageant and I must inform you, not an easy one to judge. Never the less, judged it we have, and we now have the results. Could I please ask all of our wonderful contestants to come onto the stage?"

Shyly for the most part, the contestants appeared from behind the curtain, dressed once more in their formal wear as they lined up along the width of the stage.

"In the tradition of classic beauty pageants, I am going to call out the top five applicants, and from them name our champions."

Mynx smiled and cleared her throat.

"Would the following please step up: Wyvern, Mallory, Thomas, Tom Atoe and Tanuchan."

The audience clapped as the five hugged those next to them and stepped forward, an unmistakable glint in Wyvern's eye while Thomas was concerning himself with not tripping over. Mynx gave them a moment to arrange themselves before she once more turned her attention to all of the contestants.

"Before I announce the winner and runner up, I would just like to express once more how wonderful this pageant has been, and that the judges and I feel it would be terrible to not recognise this. So I just want you all to know that no matter who our two prize winners are tonight, all of you will be receiving some sort of geld prize for all of your hard work."

"Without further adue, I would like to announce the winners for the First Annual Pen Carnival Beauty Pageant. First runner up, with a prize of twenty five geld, goes to Tanuchan the wolf!"

Tanny dropped her head in a lupine blush as everyone around her clapped and cheered, her tail wagging happily as Mynx approached her with a bouquet of white roses. Waving her paw over the flowers, Mynx changed them into a tiara of flowers, which she placed on Tanny's head with a grin before waiting for silence to return.

"And the winner, with a prize of fifty geld, goes to our animated newcomer, Mallory!"

Blushing crimson, Mallory stepped forward amidst the yells and wolf whistles, accepting the bouquet of roses from Peredhil whilst Gryphon placed a sparkling tiara on the toon's head as Mynx watched on and grinned.

"Congratulations to all of you! And thank you once more to everyone who helped make this happen!"

OOC: Well done everyone - believe me it was *hard* judging this.

As meantioned, all will receive a geld prize for their work, and if anyone if curious about their final score out of fifty, feel free to drop me a PM.

Tanny shimmers back into her human form, and hugs Mallory warmly.

"Congratulations, Mallory! I'm happy for you, and I admire you for coming and doing it in a place so different for you!"

After hugging each of the judges, Tanny leaves the stage and looks for Stephen, who's smiling and waiting for her some steps away.

"I told you..." He grins, hugging her. "Such versatile wolf..."

Tanny half-glares at him, even knowing her look is lost on the blind ranger. "Don't you start. I still think it was a dirty trick of yours, betting and making me be part of this..."

Stephen's chuckle turns into open laughter, as they leave the Carnival grounds toward Tanny's favorite spot around the lake.

"You tricked yourself, Wolf-Lady. I wasn't the one who was so sure that Ahab-something-or-other wasn't up to any trick with that tiara... Or who insisted on trying it until getting soaking evidence of its malfunction..."

"Alright, alright... remind me next time that it's a bad idea to bet with you." Tanny giggles softly, completing, "Though I think I got my little revenge with you in the Bachelor Auction... "

As Stephen sighs, she turns to him and presses something into his hand.

"What..." he immediately recognizes a pouch with geld, and automatically starts pushing it back to Tanny.

"No. I want you to have half the prize. I wouldn't have had any chance at all if you hadn't made me mad to the point of not considering giving up."

"But..."

"And besides, you might need it for your date, dear Ranger. A girl would deserve something nicer from you than you puffing out smoke..."

With a crystalline laughter, Tanny changed into her wolf form and dived head-on into the lake, enjoying water that was warm from the sun.

~~~

OOC: Huge, huge thanks to Venefyxatu for his help - although he insists that the ideas (and the wolf) were all mine, the truth is that without his permission to use Stephen Hascodem in my posts I wouldn't have been able to write anything even half-interesting. And besides, his "translation work" was really fun to read... So, I'd really like to split the prize with him, if that's possible :).

Thanks to all for the fun!

Edit: can't spell... :pinch:

Edited by Tanuchan

Mallory stood in the perfectly circular spotlight, her hair and gown drawn to its complete perfection as it should have been, and bowed deeply to the judges.

"thank you, thank you, this is such an honour, thank you."

drowning her voice were the applause of a few thousand toon characters, from the insane to the just plane crazy, big and small alike, all chasing fighting and parodying each other to the best of their abilities, while being distracted occasionally to applaude some more.

Mallory stood in the small storm of roses that fell around her, ducked the three dozen rose bouquet that almost knocked her off stage and retalliated in typical toon fashion. The anvil took out the perpetrator, (and an innocent raven) much to the liking of her fans.

Scooping up the offending flowers mallory took one last chance to bow, before leading her volumous entourage off stage.

:raven:

OOC: Thank you all for the chance to write with you, i thoroughly enjoyed the game. Thank you judges, thank you Cheermynx, thank you all.

:raven:

Anna gave a frown as the prospect of becomeing a student of the famous Wyvern himself had sounded to be quite entertaining. Being quite the party animal herself Anna knew more then her share, but was by far not even close to Wyverns mastery. Taking a seat just behond the stage...Anna took one last look upon it before she spoke.

Anna-"Would have been fun..." Wondering if Wyvern was still around...the Slayer began a search for the Almost Dragon in hopes of his acceptance.

OOC: this post timelined before the announcement of the Bachelor Auction Results. ;-)

IC:

"Treassssson I say!" Wyvern rushed back into the Beauty Pageant arena, clutching the upper edge of a trashcan. He tossed the can to the ground, his oil-darkened snout twisted in discontent. "My booby-trapped items were never delivered to their susceptible target participants! It's a scam!"

"Booby-trapped items?" Mynx feigned ignorance, raising a brow in Wyvern's direction.

Wyvern raised a claw and opened his mouth to respond, only to find himself fresh out of excuses. The lizard grimaced and motioned with a claw, unable to speak. He glanced to Sweetcherrie, then Apaltra, then Stumpy, then Tom Atoe. He hesitated for a moment, then kicked the loaded can angrily.

"A rematch. I demand a rematch!" Wyvern began jumping up and down on the can, gritting his teeth. "Twelve rounds! An endurance test! Survival of the fittest! Whoever maintains their appearence the longest!"

The judges cringed as Wyvern tripped over his own tail and began rolling around on the remains of the can. Mallory and Tanuchan considered approaching the lizard to comfort him, but hesitated upon viewing his flailing scales and claws

"H-how am I gonna be able to compete now?" The lizard wailed. "It's over. Over!"

"Excuse me, Mr. Wyvern." Anna brightened upon seeing the lizard and rushed over to him. She struck an enthusiastic smile. "I was wondering if you'd still be willing to-"

"Got lossst," grunted Wyvern in a matter-of-fact-manner, raising himself from the debris. "Can't you see I'm trying to bask in my own self-pity here?"

Anna stared at Wyvern for a moment in silence, then slowly began to sniffle. She turned from him as tears began welling up in her eyes, and spoke in a broken tone:

"I'm s-s-*sniff* sorry."

Wyvern stood frozen in place and bit his scaly lip as Anna began to wander towards the Beauty Pageant exit. He fiddled with the stinger on his tail for a moment, then let out a long sigh and ran up to Anna before she had a chance to exit.

"L-look, don't cry." Wyvern dug into his pouch for the Fake Tear Tissue, only to realize that it probably wouldn't work well in this situation. "Look, err, lisssten, you said you wanted an apprenticeship right? H-how old're you?"

Anna stopped crying, her eyes widening with excitement.

"Sixteen. Oh would you take me as a party apprentice, Mr. Wyvern?!" She clutched at his scaly knee. "Please please please?"

Wyvern stared at the ceiling for a moment and let out an awkward sigh.

"Well, uhhh, I mean... yeah, whatever, why not?"

(OOC: Also timed before the BA)

"Noooooooooooooo!" Apaltra grabbed her sister's arm as the little girl tried to get on stage. From the moment the results were known she had been wailing, "Nooooooo it's not right!"

Apaltra spun the child around and looked into her eyes.

"Look, I never wanted to participate in the first place, and Mallory is a very pretty and capable woman. You could show a little empathy and be happy for her!"

All Appy did was stare at her sister in disbelieve..

Apaltra sighed "I will go out there now, and congratulate both Mallory and Tanny for doing such a good job. You," and here she prodded Appy in her chest, "will stay here, and stop sobbing. We.. well, you had your fun, it's over, done with, keep the memories... alright?" Appy nodded sullenly, and set down on an empty chair, pouting.

The ranger send a thought to Finx to keep an eye on Appy and walked out on stage to join the congratulating and to thank the judges and organisers, as it was the thing you did... even though she preferred to be alone nowadays, she took pride in the fact that she hadn't lost all manner and etiquette from her younger years.

(more OOC: Thanks for organising this, and for playing. So sorry that I didn't post a finish earlier... I had an enormous amount of fun. Thanks! ^_^ )

Edited by Appy