The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A speeding ticket ...

Venefyxatu

Taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapta

ptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptap taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapta

ptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap…

Squeak.

Pant.

Pant.

Knock, knock.

Silence.

Knock, knock.

“Sir, open the door, we know you’re home.”

The voice was amplified, enough for it to be heard at the other end of the dead-end street, so there was no putting it off anymore. Reluctantly a young man opened the door and looked at the policemen who were waiting there. They were wearing their impeccable uniforms, he was wearing a slightly faded jeans and a t-shirt.

“Yes, how can I help you?”

Both of them flashed their ID badges, and one of them replied.

“Can we come in for a few moments, please?”

The young man narrowed his eyes for a brief moment, noticing the small metal suitcase one of them was carrying, but opened the door and let the two officers in.

“Sir, we have reasons to believe that you’ve been breaking the speed limits again. After doing so seventy-three times last week you ought to know we actually check, don’t you think?”

“Oh, that … I … umm … I kind of didn’t realize I was going so fast again. You know the way, I think?”

The two officers nodded and went upstairs. Once there, the quickly and efficiently opened their small metal suitcase and hooked some wires to the keyboard of one of the computers there… the panting one. One of them pushed a few buttons on his equipment and looked intently at a small screen. When he looked at the young man a few moments later it was with a disapproving look in his eyes, although there was a lightly impressed glint as well.

“Sir, you were doing 110 words per minute again, you know that the speed limit introduced together with intelligent keyboards was set to 75 words per minute. For the good of your keyboard, we’ll have to confiscate it … you’ll kill the poor thing if you keep typing like that.”

Quickly and efficiently, they packed their equipment again, unhooked the still panting keyboard from the computer and went downstairs again.

“We’ve got your name and address, you can expect your speeding tickets by mail one of these days. Have a nice day.”

With these words, their equipment and the keyboard, they left…

---------------------------

When I can't sleep at night I sometimes get weird ideas ... and last night it was a good one again. I was thinking about typing speeds, and somehow that connected to speed limits and the short story up there is the result. Feel free to leave your comments here, I don't plan to add to it anymore :)

It's what would happen to me if typing speed limits were really introduced... although I exaggerated the typing speed slightly :P

Edited by Venefyxatu