The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Trillian Problems

Salinye

So, I dl'd the stupid upgrade to Trillian 3 like it kept prompting me to do and then it wouldn't work. So I opened up my old version and it won't work either! Any suggestions? If I end up having to wipe the whole thing hten re dowload the old version that I know worked, will I lose all my contacts? Anyone know anything abou this?

Technologically irritated,

~Salinye :fairy:

What ^ Falcon said :)

Should you grow desperate enough to not want to wait for an answer : AIM, Yahoo! and MSN store your contact list on their servers, so you won't lose them. You'll get the "You've been added, do you want to allow blablabla" message as many times as you have contacts on MSN, though, (don't try this on a slow computer as I might do later today :lol: ) but at least it's better than losing your contact list :)

As for ICQ : the last time I used the official program it stored the contact list on your own computer. Trillian probably does the same, but I don't know whether those files will be deleted when you uninstall the program.

I tried making a contact list by adding myself, but I can't seem to find the files for it anywhere.

Oh, and on a side note : for me version 3 works and looks way cool, so it's probably something very small being very wrong ...

Edited by Venefyxatu

Does Trillian as a whole not work, or is it just not connecting to IRC? (that's the only medium I've seen you on) If it's just IRC, the servers may be acting up, or some settings got goofed when upgrading. If it's more than that, such as Trillian not starting at all, or not connecting to any medium, we need more infos!

PM one of the irc crowd if it's just IRC acting up :)

If you can find a file that appears to be your contact list, copy it. Then hopefully after the reinstall you can overwrite the empty file with the old one. This is risky business, though.

And I know what you're feeling with regard to this... I once lost labels to 1000 pictures because the new version of my Kodak Camera Software didn't work and I tried to revert to the old one. There was no way to save my labels... I ended up creating my own program to view my pictures so that I would never have to lose that valuable data again. (Or at least if I did it would be my own fault).

Tell ya what, though... if you can wait until later today, I will install this thing on my own computer for you, add a contact or two, uninstall and reinstall, and see what happens.

Do you have a link handy for the download site? If not, I'll search it out on Yahoo.

Also, what's your contact name so I can have someone to add? (PM me if you wish).

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ --> have fun :)

If you need someone to add on ICQ (or any of the other messenger lists :P), every single messenger I use is filled out in my profile.

Could you let me know as well if you stumble across the ICQ contact list? :P

(edit : finger slipping to tab key right before pressing the spacebar makes for an early post ...)

Edited by Venefyxatu

Okay, this thing is crazy. It automatically knows my contacts from all four messenger services, so it must be looking at the files of each individual program. Right? Sal, do you have all the other programs installed, or do you even need them?

Anyway, I've added Ven to two of them and am about to uninstall Trillian.

Odd, removing the program from the add/remove list does not delete any of the files. Deleting files now.

Reinstalling.

Okay, all my contacts are still there, as is Ven. (Except under ICQ, but I'm talking to him now and apparently he was never added correctly in the first place.)

However, mine might work differently because I already have all those other programs. It might just look at the lists from those programs - obviously it does to some extent, since I didn't have to type any of them in - as opposed to having its own list, which it might do if the programs are not installed. However, it might also just look at the online servers that Ven tells me at least 3 of the 4 programs use.

Conclusion: Looks positive, but inconclusive. Unless someone who lacks one of these 4 programs volunteers to try the same thing, later tonight I will uninstall ICQ (I have only one contact in that, I can add her again afterward) and redo the whole test. Sorry Sal, but don't feel like doing it all again just at the moment!

I had a lot of trouble with it at first, but once getting past the kinks in the system it worked fine...the main problem was connecting to IRC. Ultimately I found that the master server I was connecting to was being fussy, so I switched to another one and I was able to connect, at which point I could auth myself and join channels, etc. But the Cerulean Studios forums are probably a better starting point, as people's problems have been varied.

I realize now that this won't prove anything either. ICQ warns me before I click uninstall that I should write down my ICQ number in case I want to reinstall it at some point. Which means it'll very likely keep my contacts too, somewhere in their database. (I can't blame them, unnecessarily deleting data is wasteful!) I don't know that they won't all do that. So, since I have installed as many of the messengers as I could get my hands on in order to conduct my QQ interviews, I regret to say that I can't help much on this occassion. But it's looking more and more like, if you do have to uninstall it, you will retain your contacts.

I recommend at the least that you take a screenshot of the contact list so that you'll know who you need to put back on, in case the worst should happen. (That's the Print Scrn button, usually near the top-right, above the insert/home/etc. buttons. Then open up Paintbrush and hit Ctrl-V. Then save it.)