The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Mafia!

Vahktang

Saria paces her office for a while, finally picking the phone.

After a while, smiling slightly, the hangs up and leaves.

It's good to relax a bit... but it's better to call Mariah and Terane. One can't be too prepared.

~~~~

Edit: as Katz corrected her post, mine lost meaning... :P

Edited by Tanuchan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leif put down his mead. Turning to his assistant, Leif whispers. "Sven, I want you to investigate the Kaiser death. I want to know what's going on. Use some of our Danish contacts, they should be out of the normal scope."

Sven nodded in agreement. "Very good sir."

Leif waved his hand and Sven took off. Raising his mead again, he took a sip and slowly gazed around the room.

The news about the destruction of a japanese clan intrigued Tai. It would have been easy to rejoice of such news but she wont. Someone's is maybe acting against Tony Avocado and probably his influences. Is it from without or is it from within? These are the answers she want's to find out. She calls one of her servants.

[speech in cantonese]- I want to know who's behind the Clan Yashida's destruction and the method. I have to inform Hong-Kong about it.[end of speech in cantonese] It seems that whoever is behind these disturbance in the underworld wants to play dirty.

Shamus listened to the reports of the morning with little interest.

"Argus?" he said, when the intelligence officer had finished his speech.

"Aye, mainshter (master/boss)?"

"I'm going to want to see her again."

"Aye, mainshter."

"Oh, and get me Dublin o'er the phone again. It's quite obvious that someone's putting the cart 'ere the horse, as I predicted. We'll want to get some friends out. And tell Byron he'll need to stay on all night tonight."

Simona listens to the reports calmly, never once doing anything to suggest the slightest alarm. In truth, the Italian is not alarmed. Apprehensive, perhaps. The French inspector...three murders. Coincidence, maybe, but a [darned] strange one. Whatever's going on, it can't be good. A minute later, Simona picks up a cell phone, one of several which she uses. She taps in the number belonging to the one person on this planet whom Simona trusts absolutely.

"Pronto."

"Luisa, it's Simona. Dispose of my agent in France. Burn my warehouses there."

"Why? What's up?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe something, maybe nothing."

"Va bene. Is that it?"

"One more thing. I want information on everyone and everything at my fingertips within 24 hours. And make sure our friends are still our friends. Remind them what happens to tattle-tales."

"Anything you say."

Simona flips the phone closed with a slight click. Her brows furrow for a moment, then she shrugs. Picking up the phone again, Simona calls a different number. The conversation this time is short and brief.

"Mikhail. Go to Russia. Scout out our interests."

"Anything you say."

Flipping the phone shut for a second time, Simona places it on the desk in front of her and leans back in her chair.

Saya sits and reads through the reports that her sources have gathered for her on what is going on. The Sakurazukamori shows no outward emotion, as she picks up the phone and makes several phone calls: orders to be on the watch and to investigate into what is happening with the sudden destruction of those families, especially of the Yashida clan.

She wants information. Yesterday.

Mickey sat in the soft leather armchair of his living room, the reports were too disturbing, not a good thing.

That French cop in the light again, and three deaths, and the information gathering seemed to point nowhere. Mickey glanced at the samples of Diamonds on the low coffee table, good shipment, but maybe delay the next one a few days, just in case things go sour.

Picking up the phone, speed dialing a number, he waits a moment for the answer, then "Antoinie, what is going on? I told you to get me news and I here it in the media first? what do I pay you for?"

Listening carefully to the answer, Mickey smiled, "You sure he is CIA? Bring him in, Find out what you can, then kill him."

Placing the phone on the cradle mickey stands and moves to the door, his cell already at his ear, "Francis, get my car going, I got a few visits to make."

:raven:

Police are everywhere.

In every family residence, at many resources, incoming and outgoing.

Even some safe houses.

Some are even taken in for questioning.

Lawyers on retainer earn their big fees.

Saya Shizuka sits in an interrogation room, the mirror freshly clean.

She refuses the offer of a smoke, smiling.

"I do not understand," she says. "I just run my business, mind it myself."

The police are deferential, at least the veterans. They are aware of how things are.

A rookie in the room isn't.

"This about drugs, Shizuka. Two kilos in your car. That's _dealing_ weight."

A shocked silence fills the room.

The other police look for someone to shut this kid up.

The Sakura's expression does not change.

"Are you certain it is not something...innocuous. I occaisionally pick up powders for food. I also have god children. Help the parents. I am very generous."

A nod goes from one of the senior men and a more junior leaves the room.

Some hours later Saya Shizuka leaves the police building and enters the very car where the 'baking powder' was found.

She looks into the eyes of one of her functions.

"Your pleasure, Sakurazukamori?"

The Sakurazukamori thinks about revenge and actions.

Mickey's car pulls up at the curb by a small cafe'. He likes this place because of the coffee, and the view of the street from its small mezzanine floor tables. Ordering an espresso shot and placing a tab, he moves to his favourite table to wait. Shortly after a small group of men enter the cafe', ordering coffees and splitting themselves around the tables both upstairs and around the main floor. Mickey nods at the well dressed minder that seats himself two tables away.

Picking up his cell he makes a call, "Ja man, I am here already, you know it is safe to talk, my men will not interfere with us....... Sure bring your boys in, there is room, and I would prefer you to feel safe while we talk...... keep your gun, I dont mind, like I said we are just going to talk, we need to start some channels of comunication...... good? see you in a bit then."

Clicking the cell off, Mickey downs his coffee and waves to the waitress for a second. Putting his feet up on the chair opposite he leans back, and waits.

The assassin's blue eyes are unreadable behind her sunglasses, as she looks at her aide coldly. While it may seem odd that she is wearing sunglasses with a kimono and geta, she does it reguarly: not seeing someone's eyes is intimidating, and Saya likes being intimidating.

The Sakurazukamori smiles coldly, and the aide shivers.

"...Your pleasure, Honored Lady?" he stammers again.

"...I willl take care of this. Myself." she says quietly.

There were some...visits to make.

Shadows moved when you weren't watching them, after all.

Knowing that her movement will be monitored, Tai Rong Xiang decides to uses her cell phone to the strict minimum. She speaks to one of her chinese aid still in cantonese.

- Go at the restaurant and get all the information from there as soon as possible. Be discreet and don't use your cell phone.

The servants politely salutes and leaves. Tai Rong as now so many worries in the back of her mind.

Shortly, Shamus arrives at the Cafe where Mickey is waiting for him. Following him in are Biron, Argus, and another man who looks strikingly like the Heartbreaker himself.

"Go hide in a corner somewhere, boys. I've got a business to run." He seats himself in the chair that had previously been occupied by Mickey's feet. "So lad. You wanted to talk. Let's talk. What are ye offering and what do ye want?"

Mickey looks the Irish boss over, and leans forward suddenly with a sly grin. "Shamus, You know that I have dealings in the gathering of information? Most people are aware of this. I am looking to find out what is happening to our little world. You see, having the frenchman after us all is a minor inconvieniance, but our rivals are being removed by someone that seem to to have a bit more, shall we say, moral leaway."

Mickey leans back again, looking Shamus in the eye, "Who are the most ambitious in our related businesses. I smuggle diamonds, deal in information, I dont want to have to be worrying about the boys in other areas. But we are being given no choice. Between you and me, who can we trust the most?"

They all see it on the news, a fire at a great estate.

Newsreader:

[scene: airiel view of large mountainside estate, all wings on fire, as well as several of the out buildings.]

"This is the scene at the moment.

"The country estate of Simona Ciotti is aflame and out of control.

"The twists and turns of the approach road has prevented all but the smallest fire vehicles to approach the mansion. These are proving inadaquete for the blaze. Other fire fighters are being helicoptered in, but that is taking time.

[scene: microbus fire truck hooked up to garden hose shooting at the house.]

"The cause of the fire is unknown, as is the number of casualties and the location of Ms. Ciotti herself.

[scene: ground level view of the burning building.]

"It is thought that by many that the vast amounts of artwork that Ms. Ciotti is said to collect is on display and will be destroyed by the fire, a great loss to the world of art.

"I am told that somehow we have a feed from the internal security cameras. Let's show that now."

A series of quick cuts show:

[scene: opulant room on fire.]

[scene: well decorated room filled with smoke.]

[scene: hallway, picture curling from the heat.]

[scene: Da Vinci's body found nailed on a 3' x 6' canvas with a red silk shawl stapled on her naked body and a black rose glued in her mouth.]

[scene: room with ornate window, smoke going out]

[scene: garage, multiple classic cars on fire]

"What, what was that? Einz, go back."

The scene goes back to the room with Da Vinci's body. The camera lingers. She was quite the beauty but now she is quite dead.

Suddenly, the scene goes back to the news reader.

He looks at the camera, then recomposes himself.

"Uhm. Yes. Well, we'll have more on that story as it develops."

He waits for the cut away, for them to go to commercial, but the camera glares at him, then finally fades to black.

Promos for upcoming shows come on.

Leif is sitting down at supper when Sven comes in.

"Sir, you really need to see this on the news."

"Is it important? I do have company as you can see."

"Very important sir. You must come."

Leif's valet leads him out of the room to replay the news report.

After viewing the news report, Leif stares blankly at the TV. "Have the guests finish up their meal and let them know that festivities are being cancelled for the evening."

"Very good sir. I will be right back."

"Before you do, call the syndicate, find out where the meeting is to be held."

"Very good sir." Sven withdraws.

{OOC: No vote yet}

Arlene bows to Saria, ready to leave.

"Wait. One more thing... " Saria pauses for a moment, then goes on, "Tell all the girls to be extra careful, and to keep their eyes open. You know those who are good at listening... be sure that you also relocate them to those areas I told you about. "

"It will be done."

"And send Paolo in."

As her most trusted man enters, Saria waves Terane away. Mariah, knowing well her instructions, disappears indo a shadowy corner of the office.

"News from South America?"

"No, Signora. However, one of the boys got something from a contact in Huangshan... "

She nods, and Paolo goes on with his report.

News from Asia about operations in America... I shouldn't be so surprised...

"How reliable is this information, Paolo?" asks her as soon as he finishes.

"There was a life involved, Signora. "

Saria nods, dismissing him after a few instructions.

Gutterball had seen the news.

"Who?" he said, loudly. "Who's in charge of this?" A moment of thought. And then, "Shamus, the b******. Who else would have that sort of clout, but an Irishman?" He picks up the phone and dials.

"Miss Xiang? Yes. Yes, of course I've heard. Uh huh. I propose that it must have been Shamus - and perhaps if we can convince enough of the others, we can get rid of him before he gets to us. We don't want anyone threatening the chance of a united crime front, now do we?"

He would, of course, call others...

Saria turns to Arlene as she brings some news from the girls. She listens, her face showing nothing.

"Shamus, you say? Some whispering accusing him?"

As she is given more details, she shakes her head in a disbelieving gesture.

"I don't think he has the head or the guts, really... unless Simona has tried to cheat him, and I don't think she was his kind of lass. But we need more information... anything else? No? So, go and see that you bring me something either confirming it or denying it. For now, I will see other sources..."

As Arlene leaves, Saria gazes through the window.

Shamus... grinning boy... but don't let things go too far. Now... he has been talking to Mickey... She suppresses a shudder. I could never stomach his techniques...

(OOC: no accusation yet)

Edited by Tanuchan

"X" explodes in a rage at the television news. Some firking AMATEUR is doing hits in HIS territory! And whoever they are they don't seem to be content to hunt small game. This could be interesting.....He calls a meeting.

*to his underlings*

Find this #*$#%$*&@ and find him fast! I want his balls in a jar by noon tomorrow! Take an especially close look at all associates of Mr. Avocado. Someone may be making a try for the top an' we don't want to be used as a firking stepstool! NOW MOVE!

After they all leave he decides he needs a bit of "entertainment" and goes into his lab. There Antoinie waits, cuffed to a chair and duct tape across his mouth. On a table in front of his lie the eviscerated remains of the CIA agent. "X" rips the tape off of Antoinie's mouth.

"Now then, Little Tony, ole chum. What was so important about what he had to say? Hmm?"

Antoinie blanches and then noisily vomits. However, he keeps he doesn't say a thing. After a bit more intimidation and a bit of slapping around "X" pulls out a clones cell phone and places a call.

"Yo, Mickey. It's me. Looks like yer boy is clean. VERY loyal. And yeah, what he said about the fed was true. Any ideas?

Edited by Gnarlitch

After her phone calls with Max and then learning about Simona's grizzly death she knows that time is in the essence: whoever is behing all this turmoil must be stopped at all cost. The servants that she sent over the restaurant was already back and fills her in with the situation.

[cantonese speach]

- Madam, there's a heavy police surveillance around the restaurant. Gong Li decided to play safe and to wait before resuming our lucrative activities.

- Send Wang over her and tell her to focus on the restaurant's activities until I told her otherwise.

- As you wish Madam.

[/cantonese speach]

Tai thinks now of what she should do next but one thing is sure, Gutterball's words are not to be taken lightly.

"Aye. Is there a nose count around yet?"

"Gutterball's against you, but we're pretty sure that Saria knows it wasn't you. Mickey was meeting with you at the time it happened, so he has to know that it wasn't you also. Otherwise we got nothing. Our connections are running dry fast with the suspicion--nobody wants to be involved with us if the rest of the mob organizes against us, maishter."

"Well call Mickey. We'll see if we can't run the table against that conniving sonnuva*****."

Shamus is handed the cell phone quickly, and he speaks into the receiver. "Aye, lad. You remember when ye asked me who we could trust at the cafe? Well it sure as hell isn't gutterball. I was with ye when the estate was raided. I say we hit Max before he takes out one of us. Aye. Right."

"Well maishter?"

"He said he'd think about it. Bloody hell. Well... call up you-know-who... we'll see what we can see."

"Aye maishter."

Edited by Merelas

Mickey looks at the TV, shakes his head and turns it off. His cell rings moments later, "Gutterball? What do you want? ........ You what?....... No... I was talking to him for most of the night, cafe on the eastside.... his goon were there too.... .... I would know if he had more men in the country that could have pulled that off.... Dont raize your voice at me.... ... It was not him....... "

Mickey's eyes narrow, "dont you dare threaten me, I will take great joy in watching you squirm under the tip of my blade.......... " Mickey closed the call... his cell hanging the call up as it hit the wall...

Pulling the simcard out of the remains of his phone he places it in his spare, it rings soon after it turns on, "What?.... Shamus.... yes I know.......... I will make a call."

Closing the call Mickey conciders things for a moment, then speeddail places his next call......... "Johannes, I want him to hurt.... double the fee... yes.... "

Edited by cryptomancer

What now, Mariah? Tell whoever it is that I'm busy," says Saria over some papers.

"It's Gutterball, m'lady."

She just reaches out her hand for the phone. "Well? ... I've already told you... either you give me positive proof or don't try to add me to your ring, Max... Yes, I mean that... "

Saria stops short, and the silence hangs while she narrows her eyes. After a full minute, she answers with a cold smile.

"Whatever I do in my private life if mine to know and to deal with. Have a good day, Gutterball."

She hands the phone over to Mariah, giving her a personal sign - meaning, 'listen, and play along'. Then, she reclines on her chair and gazes out of the window, dimly hearing Mariah keep a one-word conversation on the phone with a voice most people would swear it's her own.

Good Mariah... she can't fool maybe two or three people, but her voice skills are awesome.

Picking another phone, Saria makes a call. "Paolo, got what I asked? ... I don't care what they told you. I am telling you what to do. Yes, send it right now. And be ... subtle with that one. Come to me if you need specific instructions... though I think you know enough already to do it by yourself. Yes. Good. "

Mariah waits her to finish her call, then proceeds to comment on the full-minute conversation she got out of Gutterball.

Max hangs up the phone, slightly disappointed. "They'll come around," he mutters, then stands and stretches. Perhaps he should phone a few more? No, he could make do with the influences he had.

He sends word to his followers to make a present of free cocaine to each of the other mobsters. No note, no name, but it would be obvious enough. Especially when it did not come through the mail, but rather appeared, to the confusion of each respective private chef, in the refrigerator.

Dismissing his underlings, Gutterball decides to go to bed for the night. He wanders into his bedroom - and comes face to face with someone else's thugs. Three of them, but Max had fought more. He was suddenly glad that he'd come to his own via personal strength as much as wits. He dispensed of the men, taking only a few serious injuries, but he was worried now. It would take more than three thugs to bring Max Gutterball Klatz down, but it meant that someone was after him. "Probably not the person who is making a play for the throne, so to speak," mused Gutterball to himself, absentmindedly rubbing his newly broken ribs. "They seemed to have more finesse than that."

He sat down, summoning his own followers in the process. "Mickey? Saria?" he questioned while he waited. "If so, then that clears them. No... it's simply gotta be Shamus."

Gutterball requested that Shamus' fridge be stocked with a bomb rather than the cocaine. Enough to kill the cook who opened it, and it would be pretty obvious to Shamus, who must know by now that Gutterball was trying to bring him down.

Max made a few more phone calls. Then, not wishing to hang around for Shamus' comeback, he took the next flight to Leningrad. "I only hope they'll come around and kill him for me," he murmured as he stood in line to board.

It was an unfortunate turn of events.

It began in the middle of the night when Shamus was extremely hungry. He called down for something to be brought up, but was informed that the cook had gone home sick. Infuriated, he threw the underling against the wall and stalked downstairs himself. Famous for his Irish temper, he marched into the kitchen, and threw open the fridge.

The first thought that entered his mind was a joking, "I don't know my own strength."

It was after he hit the ground and broke three bones that he became angry. Screaming with rage, he attempted to stand up, but fell to the ground in agony again.

"BIRON! ARGUS! MOLLY!" He screamed at the top of his lungs. Biron lay dead in the corner of the room, the refrigerator door handle stuck into his throat. Molly came running, and soon had him up into his bedroom again. Although beautiful, his half-sister was very strong, and more intelligent even than himself.

And the entire trip up to his room, Shamus muttered a string of obscenities that would have both made a sailor blush and his father proud, "God rest his soul" as Shamus himself often said.

"All right, Molly. Work your magic--find the bitch that did this, and call our friends. Get our contacts in Dublin, Moscow, Brussels, Hong Kong, Tokyo, L.A., everywhere. I want some goddamned retribution, and by the holy God and the Virgin Mary, I WILL HAVE IT!"

She winced, but did as she was told. Most unfortunate.