The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A Mynx-ish question

Gryphon

I was just talking to Mynx in RL and I told her I thought she was good at writing.

For some reason she refuses to believe me - not too sure why... but basically I'd like to know if any other pennites agree with me.

If you're at all familiar with her writing, can you post your opinion of it here? Please?

Ta all.

Haven't read her stuff (I'm really bad at reading), but a depressed, pessimistic and overly analytical view of your own work seems to be occupational disease among most writers (or perhaps artists in general?) I know. To be your own worst critic helps to some extent, as it allows you to refine your own work - the opposite, thinking everything you write is godly is hardly good either. Finding the balance seems really hard and most people seem to err heavily on the "everything I write is junk" side.

Years of positive criticism and real, genuine growth as a writer have made me realize I'm pretty good, at least as long as I write the sort of prose I'm best at. At the same time I know not everything I write is the best in the world, or even good. Took a lot of work to reach this state, tho. -_-

Anyways, refusal to accept the praise of others is Impolite and shows you think you are better judge of your works than others - I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is often true. ;)

*Stands and applauds the wonderful Gryphon*

Thank you my friend, thank you. This I have been telling her since we started sharing our work with each other, and having read a lot of what she has written I am a firm believer in her talent as a writer of not just stories but poetry as well.

Like me, Mynx has a lot of flare and imagination, and I hope one day she does see this. Her gift is more crafted than mine, she thinks about the structure and wording a lot more than I do, and although Mynx says that she cannot write poetry, the works I have been allowed to read prove that not only can she write it but with a bit of guidance in the finer points of structure she will become even better. (the same thing I have discovered from my time here, *grins at Alaeha*)

I recomended that Mynx tries the excercises in the Caberet Room. Here

*grins at all that recomended I try them*

I too am my own worst critic, I spent most of my life not allowing any to read my work. A few close friends did, but never all of it, never more than a poem or two if they were about while I wrote, *grins at Gryphon, "remember the 'blue genie'?"*

It was my Closest friend that gave me the confidence to let others read my work. It was her response to reading my scribblings that opened my thoughts to the possibility of not just showing others, but looking at possible publication. (She thought that they were that good.) It is this same friend that still to this day keeps insisting that I do publish, and that I keep writting.

Being critical of your work helps you to refine it, but being too critical will destroy your love of a great gift.

*Grins at Mynx*

You got the gift girl, write.

The greatest power in any gift of talent is found in sharing it.

:raven:

Yes, she has potential, and talent. She already has flare, but she could be more.

Like so many other Artists, she prolly sees only the speck on the ring she envisioned, and ignores the perfection of the rest of the golden band - it's very hard to be tolerant of your own works when you have had a visualization of what they could have been and failed to be.

-Peredhil's two cents.

I took a look at some of her stuff and have to say she has talent. Just don't do like me; letting it collect rust. I just recently got back into writing. I thought my work sucked monkey butt until a few people complemented the hell out of it. Soemtimes you just need a few outside opinions.

Yan Yan Ganaffi

I bet it is the ususal situation of a writer not having belief in their own work. Of course if that disbelief causes you to not put your work out there then you'll never know what others think...

I reckon you take the risk, perhaps at first with only those you trust. After all no-one ever ends life wishing they took less risks (excpet perhaps the odd adventure guru who died in a tragic accident)

After all what have you got to lose?

-epinephrine

Kids should not do drugs :D

i've found that much as i hate to do it, i have to admit that my opinion regarding my own writing is decidedly biased, and there are a couple people whose opinions i actually will accept in preference to my own. I know they won't lie to me to bolster me, but neither will they unjustly tear me down, and given that balance i can accept their opinions over my own bias.