The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Salem Witch Trials

Merelas

Anne stands in front of some children who observe the scene curiously, protective and pale with anger.

He is crazy! Threatening us with a pistol, it is almost a confession!

"Jessica, back to home! Take the small ones with you - either home or to Goodman Parcel's, and stay there! Do not leave them alone!"

Her daughter, eyes big with fear, nods weakly. Anne looks at her, talking more gently. "Jessie, you can do it. Keep to the main street, you are a smart young girl, almost a woman. We will see that no one harms the children. Ask for Nancy's help. The Lord will protect you."

She observes as Jessica grabs Joe and Hannah's hands and, calling to Nancy and Grahan, start rounding the few other children around.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donovan James, the Governor of Massachusets, turned and fled at a moment's notice.

He ran swiftly to the inn in town that he was staying at, and reached it quickly. He had seen this coming ahead of time--the coach was already prepared. He jumped inside, and the driver took off immediately. The people of Salem had no hope of keeping up with a four-horse team, and so they let him go.

History would write that the Governor of Massachusets was the leader of a small coven of witches in Salem, Massachusets, and he was never seen nor heard from again.

OOC:

Night Phase Begins. Governor Donovan James was innocent, and in no way a witch--but neither was he your witness. Witness, Witch, send me your names. I remind you all that time is running extremely short for you to catch the witch before he or she destroys your village. Godspeed.

OOC: Merelas must be having some bad troubles. Here is the night-day shift post to get the game rolling again.

Thomas Parcel goes to bed that night with his mind racing. He is mourning for his wife and worrying about the treasury papers, in which he really did not see a pattern. Anne Arthur also mourns, for her husband's death and the disruption of the entire town. Eric, as the rest of the people in the town, can't help but worry about the many deaths that the last few days have held, and wonder who might be the cause. Allison is also concerned as she comforts Silence that evening. She put her to bed, telling the young girl that everything would be all right, God would help them find the witch, but she and her daughter both fear for the village. Allison watches Silence pray, wiping sweat from her brow. It must just be the stress, but she feels a little woozy. It will be gone in the morning.

The villagers wake to a screaming Allison Whitney, running down the street in her pajamas. The fever has eaten up her wits, and everyone can tell at a glance that she is not in her right mind. Eric Dobbins catches her first, fighting against her wild struggles. She is babbling incoherently, and the village people soon gather round. Some suggest that she is the witch, and has finally let the guilt get to her. More suggest that this disease was bestowed upon her by the witch.

And, with the dawn's light just illuminating her features, Allison passes away in front of them all.

Anne looks in horror as Allison quiets down just to die in the arms of the several people trying to restrain her - herself and Goodman Parcel among them.

So many deaths... why?

"Allison... rest in peace, and may the Lord embrace your soul..." Anne murmurs a quiet prayer, lowering her head in sorrow at one more death.

Then, she looks around her. "Silence... poor girl... Where is she? Has anyone seen to her, gone to her?"

Goodman Parcel also finishes a silent prayer, and meets Anne's eyes.

"Silence will need help... " says Anne. "We must find her."

He nods silently.

Charles... Amelia... Allison... good people, God's people... why did they have to die? Help me not doubting... I lived all my life in faith, accepting Thy guidance in my heart... if they died, it's because there was purpose... to root out the evil in this land, at the least...

Silence walks out trying to understand what had just happened. Good man Parcel touches Allison's forehead, then looks for a pulse the best way he can and looks at Silence sadly.

- I'm sorry Silence... your mother is with God now.

The young girl's eyes widens and she runs over Allison's inert body. Then, she grows tearfull and stumbles on her mother's body. Goodman Parcel steps back, wondering about what he can do. Silence raises herself and keeps sobbing although now, she's seems to be trembling in rage. Anne kneels by her and touches Silence's shoulder. The teenager suddenly jerks and bolts away from Anne and decides to seek refuge at Goodman Parcel's side.

- Why did you killed my mother, Witch?

Anne was surprised at the sudden accusation but Silence continue.

- I've seen you picking up herbs in your backyard and doing bizarre chantings. You are the one who killed the Reverend, Goodwife Parcel and my mother! You are the witch!

(OOC: A vote against Tanuchan/Anne)

Anne shakes her head, eyeing Silence carefully.

"Picking herbs and bizarre chanting? Silence, many people keep herbs in garderns, and there are several kinds of chanting besides those you listen to in the church. I keep several herbs in my back garden, because some of them are blessed with restorative powers. My husband knew about them, and sometimes helped me weeding the garden. Even you have helped me, Silence. And in my childhood I learned many songs that I still sing today. They may not be as beautiful as the Lord's songs, but they are nothing more than different songs."

I've seen Silence going around... maybe I should have been more careful about her. Was Amelia right, then?

"You are grieving for your mother's death. Or maybe... is it possible, Silence, that you have been trying to gather herbs and help your mother, without knowing what you were giving her? Who have you been talking to, dear girl? No one knew your mother was sick. Why didn't you call anyone to help her?"

Dabbing with things that she didn't know about... an innocent in the hands of evil...

Silence keeps staring at Anne with anger.

- I didn't knew, until this morning, that something was wrong with my mother's health. She would have probably have seen the doctor by now if she didn't died like that! If I knew she would have been sick, I would have been looking for help, as she taught me. But I've seen you, doing these weird rituals... It was scary! It is true that I've helped you picking up herbs, but I did seen you doing these weird rituals and chantings and these have nothing to do with what the Reverend taught us.

"Weird rituals and chantings? Silence, this is going a bit too far, even for a grieving girl." Anne's voice becomes harsh. "Accusations of witchcraft are very serious and must not be used as tools for pettiness. If you are claiming that you saw me doing witchcraft, describe exactly what I was supposedly doing."

Is she really innocent and acting upon the will of others... or is it that I do not want to believe she can be so... sly? She is one that I cannot swear is under God's guidance...

Silence keeps giving Anne an angered stare.

- I'll describe the gesture I've seen the best as I can recall but I wont imitate them because I don't want to infuriate God... In fact, I wonder if even talking about them is sinful.

Silence looks over goodman Parcel who thinks about it.

- Well, as Anne said, this is grave accusations, but if its proving that you are saying the truth, go ahead.

- May I be blessed with God's protection before this? Because I think I'll need it.

Goodman Parcel offers a blessing the best way he could, reminding Silence that he's no priest, nor Reverend.

- Thank you Goodman Parcel. Well, first, I was late at night and I was hidden behind the bushes when I saw Anne going out in her garden and picking up a selection of herbs. Then she returns inside her house, so I snuck up at near a window and I've seen her placing herbs in a pot boiling over the fire and stirs the mix with a long wooden spoon. Nothing that much suspicious there, even thought it was pretty late. At that moment, she began to chant and made very strange gestures over the brew. The chant was in a tongue that I don't understand and she was wavering her fingers and hands in a very precise fashion because she repeated the gesture over and over again. I've felt a tingle in my spine and I left out of fear.

Goodman Parcel nods and looks at Silence with a stern look.

- My accusation is not an act of pettiness and it is a very serious one.

"Silence, what you are saying is very serious. It was late, and all this that has been happening makes people afraid. My own children are getting jumpy at night, when before these last weeks they had never had reason not to have a peaceful sleep. There's no sense in what you are describing."

Anne sighs softly, frowning. "Yes, I went to the garden to pick some herbs, because Hannah has a cough and I rather treat that early. You can go and check with her, if you want... just don't scare her. I was preparing a herb tea, as my mother taught me long ago. I'm used to singing while I'm cooking, and everybody who has ever been with me in a kitchen know that. However..."

She looks at Silence with piercing eyes, studying her, seeming to weigh her. After a pause, she continues softly, "However, Silence, your description of gestures and chants shows also that you may be too familiar with things that aren't appropriate for an innocent girl. Did you see them before, Silence, or did you practice it alone, hidden from others?"

Silence looks at her in deep anger. "God is my witness, it was as I told you." She looks around. "Widow Arthur is a witch!"

"I'm no witch, Silence. I've been living in this town for thirteen years. People know me. I was married to a Reverend of the Church for fifteen years. Do you think he would have been deceived so long, were I a witch?"

Silence keeps looking at Anne and replies

- At first, I taught it was some herbal tea you were making for Hannah, who is ill these days, but when you chanted in that bizarre tongue and made this strange gesture, I felt deep in my heart it was wrong. Mother used to make me some herbal teas when I had colds and she wasn't signing and making odd gestures.

Silence sighs and frowns again.

- I was born and raised here. Everyone know me since my whole life and I trusted everyone, even you Mrs Arthur. I do recall that when I helped you picking up herbs, you did tooked the time to explain me the use of the many herbs you are cultivating since several years. Back then, it was nothing suspicious for me as I trusted you, but right now, it explains a lot of things. Also, I've never seen the Reverand in the garden and when I've asked him why, he told me that it was your responsabilty as teaching the words of God was the Reverend's and that you don't mingle in each other's responsabilities.

Silence started to cry again

- He trusted you! Goodwife Parcel trusted you! My mother trusted you! I trusted you! Everyone in this village trusted you! Why this? Why?

"What things do you think my garden explains? My husband knew what I have there, and I don't have anything to hide. The garden is there for anyone who wants to look at it. Charles did help me sometimes, not frequently, that's true. The garden has always been my responsibility. Now, think... you have learned much with me in that same garden. When did I send you home with anything but good herbs? How many times you asked me about all those herbs, and I truthfully answered your questions, even teaching you how to recognize poisonous plants? Is that the work of a witch?"

Silence stares at Anne, searching for an answer. Anne presses on.

"Silence, you said truthfully... you trusted everyone. And in that innocent trust, I believe you were perverted by thoughts that aren't those we taught you. Your mother, my husband, myself. God's work is clear in this town, it has been for the last dozen years. I didn't break anyone's trust, dear child. And you, in your innocence, does not see what you have done. Who but you has seen those gestures? Who can describe then, and that strange tongue you claim I have used? A twisted soul makes what it wills from the truth. Part of you still wants to be innocent, Silence, but you have been tainted. Confess your sins to God now, and you may still be saved. You are still mostly innocent, I believe."

Silence shakes her head and looks back over Anne.

- The only sins that I'm guilty of is being young, naive, curious and trusty. But my mother's guidance was solid. She always showed me the right path and explained me why this path was the right one. The Reverend taught me the truth. But the sins of witchcraft are not mines! I've seen you doing these rituals! I've heard your weird chanting! Did you tried to enticed me and the other children in these blasphemous rites?

"I would never in my life harm a child, Silence! They are a light in the world, and their pure hearts will follow the Truth if they just listen to it. How can you accuse me of blasphemous rites, when my own children pray at the church at your side? They tell me how curious you are, and how many questions you ask. That's not a sin per se. Neither is to look for an answer. The sin may be what you do with the answers you get. The sin may be in your heart, and you be so naive and trusty that you don't see it in yourself. Think, Silence... why do you think you recognize these supposed gestures and chanting? Have you never been curious about witches and witchcraft... about why people become witches?"

Silence keeps true to her name, remembering questions she asked to her mother in what seems ages ago. Anne nods. "Yes, I thought so. I believe you asked your mother. I think you may even have asked my husband, because you trusted him. But maybe you have asked to more people than we know? Maybe you really saw, or heard, or read those descriptions somewhere? Keeping that knowledge in your heart, reviewing it, commiting them to memory, unwittingly inviting evil into your very soul?"

Her voice softens, and although she wants to hold Silence's hand, she restrains herself knowing the girl will just step back. "As I said, it is still time, Silence. Confess what you have in your heart. I believe you may not even know they are sinful, but they are tainting your soul and will drag you to them. We will protect you, you can still be saved. You can still back from that bleak path where curiosity took you."

Silence looks up to Anne.

- I did asked my mother about witchcraft, it's because I wanted to understand what motivates the people to refuse the way God laid in front of us. She recited me a passage of the Bible that the Reverend thought us about not adoring a false god, this one was under a golden maverick guise. Mother told me that the witches adored a false god and therefore, turned against the very teachings of our own God. Since I've got my questions answered, I knew that staying clear from witchcraft is what I should do.

The teenager frowns again and looks back up at her protagonist.

- However, I cannot admit crimes that I didn't commit. I am only guilty of sneaking up late at night, spying at other people, but my intentions were to find the truth. And I did find the truth when I saw you last night chanting and making odd rituals over that herbal brews of yours! I've admitted my sins! I think it's time that you admitted yours and that you tell everyone in this village the reason why!

Thomas Parcel stands in front of the church.

"Until this evil is rooted out, we can not risk our church being further desacrated.

"Until it can be reconsecrated, there will be no services therein.

"We will have services out in the natural area, worshipping under God's grace in the open. And hope we do not get rained on too much.

"I have written other villages to send a force to help us in this, and give warnings against the warlock Donovan James.

"I say unto you to consider this:

"This land is cursed.

"Let us leave it to the evil that prey upon civilized man.

"We should return to England.

"Abandon this new world to the hell that it has become.

Silence follows this announcement.

Parcel nods.

"Good. Then it is the will of this village to fight for this land, to not shy away when forces attempt to overcome us. God has given this trial to test us. And we will succeed.

Later on, at the arguement between the two.

Goodman Parcel nods and looks at Silence with a stern look.

"You have accused before, Silence.

"And done us wrong because of it.

"You break God's law, bearing false witness, the ninth commandment.

"You are a wicked, wicked girl.

"Willful by your own admission of sneaking out and spying.

Silence started to cry again

"You use your women's tears as a weapon to break a man's resolve. They will do no good here.

From an earlier post:

The she grabs her rosary and starts to say it under Allison's careful watch.

He spies something, in her hand.

He snatches it quickly.

"Papist. Iconist.

He raises his hand to slap her but she slyly dodges away.

"I accuse you, Silence Whitney.

"Of witchcraft.

"Of causing the death of the Reverend, my wife and your own mother.

"And influencing the people of this village to accuse Samantha Bones.

"Your confederate, Donovan James has fled, but you will not.

"Seize her.

OOC: accuse Silence Whitney

Silence looks unbelievingly at Goodman Parcel. "I do not bear false witness! I saw her!"

"Silence, confess whatever else you hide in your heart." Anne keeps her voice level, somewhat sterner but still gentle."You know more about witchcraft than what you are saying. Let the innocent part of your soul guide your words, unless it has been so tainted, so blackened by evil that you do not have the will to confess. Goodman Parcel is a man of the church, and he zeals for our protection. Trust him as you trusted my husband. If you back from evil now, Silence, there is still salvation for your soul."

((OOC: I realized that I never officially posted an accusation... so here it goes: accusing Silence Whitney/Lady Celes))

Silence looks back at Goodman Parcel!

- I am not the witch! In fact, I did followed your guidance about the Governor. I didn't have no reasons to not trusting you! But do not be fooled by Anne or all these innocents death wont be avenged.

Silence glares back at Anne.

- I cannot admit of crimes I did not commit! You would rather seen a young girl of your daughter's age to pay for your crimes? Then you just prove what a witch is able to do!

"Silence Whitney, enough is enough," said Goodman Parcel sternly, glaring down at the young girl. "As the highest ranking official of the church present, I declare that you will be tried for witchcraft tomorrow. Sherriff, arrest her."

"But... sir...?"

"Arrest her!"

It was done as he commanded. The teenage girl was taken into custody and thrown into a cell to last the night. She could hear the shaky prayers of those around her, also awaiting trial, or with their trials in progress. Fervantly, they prayed. She wondered if their prayers would be heard--if there was a God, even.

Time will tell, she thought silently.

The next morning at dawn the bailiff took her into custody, and she began the grueling investigation process. Justice Hawthorne questioned her for seven hours that day until she was exhausted. A recess was called--the examination would begin again the next day... and the next... and the next. For four days the trial drug on, question after question, objection after objection.

It became too much to take. The investigator had been asking her the same question for hours now--the girls that had once been her friends had turned against her and howled if she even looked at them. At their parents' insistence, they were ushered out of the room as it was obviously "too painful" for them to be bewitched by their old friend.

And still it went on. It went on until the day the jury filed out of the room.

And they deliberated for four more days. Twenty-two days in total the trial had lasted for this four year old girl. And then, finally it was over. The jury never had a reason to return a verdict--Silence disappeared from the town. Eric Dobbins, the Usher of the Church, had been standing watch over her cell the night she escaped. As far as the surgeons could tell, he had died of old age. There was nothing further they could do about Silence, so she slipped out of their minds, never to return again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Are you sure you must leave town, Widow Arthur?" asked Thomas, in a voice that was somewhat sympathetic.

"Yes, Thomas. The place is just too filled with memories for myself and my children. We must build a new life somewhere else. My work is done here."

And I suppose it was. Her works of witchcraft, eliminating her enemies in the town, had been completed as far as she dare risk. Her children would eventually learn to follow the Goddess, but things were too dangerous here to continue now. Silence might join them, someday... it was her that had killed Eric and allowed the girl to escape. In the end, a child's life was just too precious to sacrifice--it had been one more potential worshiper of the Goddess.

I am Anne Arynn. May the Goddess' blessing fall over my children and myself--her one true Priestess.

And the town was bothered by witchcraft no more.

OOC:

Well played everyone, and congratulations to Tanuchan, our witch, who pulled out an amazing victory. I'd like to apologize to all for my problems with my connection, and congratulate all on an entertaining game. See you all next time!

Edited by Merelas

Uncountable years later, deep in woods not far from Salem, a lone adventurer finds a small shrine. Although well hidden and in ruins, it still hints at a simple beauty in reverence to nature. Amid the ruins, already almost covered by green leaves and the roots of trees, there is a rustic tomb.

Mortal body of a priestess,

Rest in peace while your soul flies

Towards the Goddess, mother of all.

May your penance in another life be brief

For crimes commited in the name of faith

May your story teach those who come

Temper faith with wisdom and forgiveness.

A niche near the carved altar reveals a tattered book, written in an neat hand and containing what seems to be the lore of nature mixed to personal annotations. Among its pages, it's possible to recognize descriptions of herbs and how to use them, songs of praise and blessing, discoveries made observing animals and plants. Scattered between these pieces of knowledge, paragraphs reveal that the book was also a kind of journal.

Charles had to fall tonight. I loved him, I really did... not as my nature asks, but with respect for his intelligence and mind. But he became too dangerous. He's starting to look at me and wonder what I'm teaching our children when he's not around. He doesn't look very gently on my herb garden, I think he suspects some of the herbs aren't just weeds or what I say they are. He doesn't like me taking the children to the forest so they can learn about nature.... somehow, he *knows* I'm not taking them there because of 'God's' stronger presence. I know he wouldn't hesitate in taking the children from me, and he would hold his hand just for a little while before sending me to the gibbet. He must go, unfortunately.

But being the widow of the Reverend could bring me also some protection... we have been married for 15 years, we have lived in this town for the last 13. I should be able to stay alive until my mission here is complete.

There's a date and a name scribbled in parenthesis... June, 1692, in the town of Salem. Then, after a blank space, a date of some days later.

It was a bit risky, but no one really suspects what I have in the garden. Charles' tea was laced with a potent and undetectable herb... his heart collapsed after some time.

So that townspeople have something to base their accusations, I painted that magic symbol. They will probably accuse someone of sending either a demon or a lighting to do their evil work.

I am sorry for the seeming innocents of the town, however I have made sure that no real innocent suffers. At the very least, those will have a painless death if I can reach them in time.

The next few pages bring some random thoughts, then there's a passage that seems to have been written in haste.

Silence is getting dangerous. My children tell me that she's always asking them to tell their thoughts about matters of faith. I have taught them many things already, and there's nothing they say that can be linked to witchcraft as these people see it... however, if Silence tells too much to Allison and an adult really questions the children, people may want to question me also.

I wish I could take Silence with me... she is a smart girl, and intelligent. She questions instead of following blindly. But if she risks either my children or myself, I must see that she becomes a true avatar of her name.

But she's a child... Goddess, I cannot harm a child... what am I to do?

And others, smeared as if someone had cried over them.

Amelia is kind and generous, but too strict in her beliefs. She has asked more to her children than just about Silence's words... she has asked also what *my* children say. Blessed be Nancy and Grahan for loving my own children and trusting them, telling them about the funny questions their mom was asking...

She has always been near us, but lately... the Goddess forgive me if I'm wrong, but Amelia is always nearby, always meeting me out of the church, always sending small gifts to 'help me in my widowhood". I see some suspicion on her.

I pity Samantha Bones. She was absolutely harmless, and a victim of the mob this city has turned into.

I just hope they don't turn on me as they've had on her, or on the Mercys... but the Mercy's were foolish. Missing services, showing too much interest on the children... that was badly handled. Thank the Goddess that they didn't know who was their Priestess here.

May the Mother's Blessing fall over this land and the children.

Over the last line, something written as an afterthought...

I shouldn't have... not her... she was a friend. Dangerous, but a friend none the less.

The lines seem to tremble in the next paragraph, again some weeks after the last one.

After those first days when Silence has been looked at with suspicion, Allison is taking from her daughter all that's good in her... curbing her curiosity and intelligence to keep her faithful to the Church. I am in part to blame, for I was afraid for my own children and added to that suspicion myself. However, since then I vowed to try to keep Silence well and bring her fully into the Goddess' arms.

So, I will have to separate her from her mother...

A mistake! I wanted her sick and weak... Mother, forgive me... it was too strong. Allison is dead.

The last page of the book seems to refer back to those events...

So, this is what I have collected in these long years of serving the Mother, the Goddess who protects us all. May she forgive the men who now deny her, and may she forgive what I did in my eagerness to give some strength to a failing worship. In Salem I have killed and made people suffer. I learned better, after that.

I never lied. Silence had in her all the knowledge I dared to give her without clashing with the Church's teachings. Those marked me as a witch. She had the seed of witchcraft, according to the Church's view. I saved my life, and I hope Silence at last could understand that knowledge out of the Bible isn't evil. She escaped, but never knew who helped her... my friends who must go unnamed, who took her in, and let her choose her own life. She hates me even now, I know... I did kill her mother, and never denied that.

But what she saw that night... an innocent ritual of blessing over an herbal potion to ease my little Hannah's cough. And she was convinced I was a witch... so close...

Anne Arynn, priestess of the Goddess.

~~~~

Edit: typos

Edited by Tanuchan

(OOC: Congrats Tanny for your victory)

While en route for Maryland, in the chariot driven by the stranger who helped her escape, an exhausted Silence gives herself the time to mourn her deceased mother. But soon, rage is blossoming within her heart as although she always been a devout Catholic but she had been accused of witchcraft by the very witch who now saved her life. For now, the man who's driving the modest carriage will be her protector until she'll be old enough to be married. Time will probably transform her features, make her forgotten by Salem's people but it'll never heal her wound caused by her mother's death and Anne's betrayal.